Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys I'm currently living in Honolulu, HI where my husband is a CBP as well. I work for the USPS (waiting on my cbp process) and the COLA at the USPS it's even higher than the percent CBP offers, but life it's way too expensive in Hawai'i. I would like to know about Texas (Laredo, Roma, Eagle Pass)???

Comment

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      It's often harder to relocate as a "GS-24". Those sort of opportunities do not often come in pairs. It's often easier and less noticeable for each to work in different ports, when practical.

Lots of CBPO-Ag. and CBPO-BP matchups too.

• Jarymoly
      Jarymoly commented
      Editing a comment
      fathitman what port are you in?? Honolulu it's nice and easy but life it's way too expensive, like ridiculous expensive. A 3 bed, 1 bath 800 sqft house for $500,000 it's like a little too much.

There's a few GS-24'S @ Honolulu airport. But it's impossible to work on different ports since it's only the airport over here if you are at the bottom of the seniority list.

It might be easier if I get an offer to Texas other than HNL and my husband requesting a transfer. Or if someone from one of the Texas ports are offering $$$ for a switch.
      Last edited by Jarymoly; 11-19-2017, 05:08 AM.

• 3nf0rc3r
      3nf0rc3r commented
      Editing a comment
      Jarymoly I only meant because of the favoritism type stuff fathitman already mentioned & having to work in the same relative area, that's all. As a single male going into BP I'd hope that having a husband that works for BP is awesome

• Jarymoly
      Jarymoly commented
      Editing a comment
      3nf0rc3r I understand about the favoritism thing, I'm afraid I'll not run with that favoritism luck. My husband it's very professional, he's not the type of guy that will tell you what to do to get a job or to make it easy for you. So yes at least for us is going to be easy and without drama.

Comment

• Well I finally got my call; EOD on 1/22/17 Coburn Gore, ME. GLYNCO Date: 2/12/17!

Good luck to all those still in the process!

Comment

• 3nf0rc3r
        3nf0rc3r commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats man!

• GD1R90
        GD1R90 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great news, congrats!

• toonguy15
        toonguy15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats!!

• Pmgrad08
        Pmgrad08 commented
        Editing a comment
        CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully we will see you at the academy in Feb. many of us are right behind you in the process!

• Oh boy now for the poly. Im doing it at Tuscon too, which is so infamous in it's own right for the strange poly interrogations that there is an article specifically on the Tuscon sector. I know a lot of people who did the poly before and they all failed, all got interrogated and cursed at, all at Tuscon. This should go well.

Comment

• milushka22
        milushka22 commented
        Editing a comment
        had my poly 3 ago in Orlando FL. Entire process took 4 hours from arrival... (equip review, additional info, breaks, paperwork) it wasnt as bad as everyone says, good luck keep us updated

• Pmgrad08
        Pmgrad08 commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang goodluck! Keep us posted; and try to relax...I will be taking mine in Orlando, FL

• Originally posted by superquagdingo View Post
      Oh boy now for the poly. Im doing it at Tuscon too, which is so infamous in it's own right for the strange poly interrogations that there is an article specifically on the Tuscon sector. I know a lot of people who did the poly before and they all failed, all got interrogated and cursed at, all at Tuscon. This should go well.
      I did my poly in Tucson. All my coworkers failed it before me and refused to believe I passed it until they saw me out process for CBP.

I wouldn't listen to all the stories. If you have a good job already you shouldn't be nervous about going in and just responding to questions.

My poly was about 2 hours long and not that bad of an expierence.

Comment

• superquagdingo
        superquagdingo commented
        Editing a comment
        Two hours? So you did it after that "pilot poly" change? Thats sounds promising at least, I appreciate the response. Everyone's process is different but since you were in the pipeline for Tuscon too do you mind telling me how long you waited after passing your SI to get scheduled?

• fathitman
        fathitman commented
        Editing a comment
        No I took the older poly when everyone expected to fail. You just have to go in and be confident in yourself and you will be fine. The horror stories always tell you about how the examiner is at fault but I am willing to put money down they are not telling you about how they ****ed it up with certain responses.

I don't remember the timeline of my process.

• 3nf0rc3r
        3nf0rc3r commented
        Editing a comment
        Likewise, everyone didn't believe I had passed until I showed them on the CASS. I too had a 2 hour process and had only one problem: I was getting bored and starting to get distracted lol

• dalie_utcc
        dalie_utcc commented
        Editing a comment
        My poly took two hours, but was pretty intense. My examiner told me that my blood pressure was very high and i held my breath sometime during the serious crime questions. At the end, he mentioned that he gave me a pass, but it is up to QC. As everyone says, be confident with your answers if you have nothing to hind.

• Has anyone here taken the poly in San Diego? My wife has just been scheduled for it and is a nervous wreck, so I thought I'd ask about your experience at this location.

Comment

• Mina3050
        Mina3050 commented
        Editing a comment
        I will have to go down to SD polygraph down the down. Please share your wife's experience. Good luck to her.

• Pmgrad08
        Pmgrad08 commented
        Editing a comment
        Tell her to relax deep breaths and answer truthfully; I hear they give you a chance before your test to disclose anything that would trigger the polygraph. Goodluck to your wife let her know some of us are right behind her: )

• The problem with comparing things within OFO is that seldom is OFO a one-size-fits-all agency. Just because the guy two states over, the guy last month, or the guy who applied under the same announcement sees things happening one way, don't be suprised to find that the pathway changes for the next guy. It often does.

"It depends" is a phrase often spoken in OFO...and it usually does.

Comment

• 3nf0rc3r
        3nf0rc3r commented
        Editing a comment
        It sure has been interesting to note where I am in my 17-7 announcement while others both ahead of me and behind me are all over the place.

• I have a question for you guys. When applying for CBPO 17-11, I originally selected San Francisco for location. I just looked at my NOR and for location it just says Location Negotiable After Selection. Anybody from 17-11 lists their location of choice?

Comment

• Jarymoly
        Jarymoly commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm from 17-11. By the time you finish the process they will offer you whatever port with open positions, but if there's open positions on the ports you selected you'll get it.
        Last edited by Jarymoly; 11-19-2017, 05:34 PM.

• toonguy15
        toonguy15 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was originally 17-9 but changed locations on the 17-10 announcement. I'd say it pushed me back a month

• GD1R90
        GD1R90 commented
        Editing a comment
        toonguy15 I did the same thing.. 17-9 and reapplied to 17-11 and it seems things have come to a halt almost.

• Hello everyone,

I applied almost 3 years ago and made it till polygraph. Does anyone know if I'll have to do the e-Quip all over again or just re certify? I just got my NOR for exams and I am 18-1

Comment

• Steph631_
        Steph631_ commented
        Editing a comment
        ak56221 thanks so much.

• county25
        county25 commented
        Editing a comment
        I had a prior EQIP and it was basically a "recertify" to update and add info.

• Steph631_
        Steph631_ commented
        Editing a comment
        county25 Thank goodness. I remember how extensive it was to fill that thing out.

• county25
        county25 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. Shouldn't be too bad.

• I applied for 17-10 and 17-11 VRA gs-9 position for northern posts. I received the tentative selection and just did my medical yesterday. Eqip is checked completed as well as my PFT. Now just waiting on SI, drug test and Poly. Hopefully won’t take forever to get through the rest.

Comment

• toonguy15
        toonguy15 commented
        Editing a comment
        What posts did you apply for?

• We shall see... I’m ready to quit my sheriff gig and move onto CBP. I have a TS but unfortunately it is downgraded because I don’t have need to know since going guard. So I’ll have to take another polygraph but the poly for the sheriffs office wasn’t to stressful. Anybody else applying to ports such as sweetgrass or oroville?

Comment

• Mac1186
        Mac1186 commented
        Editing a comment
        What state are you located that you would want to quit being a sheriff and go OFO? Is being a sheriff really that bad comparatively?

• Hi everyone and happy Thanksgiving. Does anyone know how long you have to wait to reapply for CBP if you fail the poly? I have heard before it was 2 years. Did that timeframe change?

Comment

• GD1R90
        GD1R90 commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe it's a 1 year waiting period. The time frame should be stated in an email sent to you from CBP.

• Steph631_
        Steph631_ commented
        Editing a comment
        mariosa83 I was told 3 Years, 3 years ago. But the application asks if you’ve failed a polygraph within the past 2 years, so I’d assume that’s how long now.

• milushka22
        milushka22 commented
        Editing a comment
        it hasn't changed, its 2 years.

• Hi guys, I passed my PT on November 7th but I havent taken the SI yet. Do I contact them to schedule it? I just hope the process is going well.
      Last edited by MarkGS; 11-23-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• ES90
        ES90 commented
        Editing a comment
        I wouldn't worry about it. Its the week of Thanksgiving, there's not much work going on in the Federal government this time of year. I bet you'll hear something next week.

• disman
        disman commented
        Editing a comment
        No, you don't call them to schedule it. I was just scheduled for my SI and my PFT 1 was on 09/29. I'd say you have a wait ahead of you.

• Casper_Talon
        Casper_Talon commented
        Editing a comment
        I did my medical and PTF 1 Sep/28. Got last week the notice for my SI for the 29th. So about 2 months went by.

• Pmgrad08
        Pmgrad08 commented
        Editing a comment
        My PT appointment was 9/13 and my SI was 10/26... you got some time.
        Last edited by Pmgrad08; 11-27-2017, 03:00 PM.

• Hello everyone! Hope y’all are having an wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends. I applied for the job announcement 17-11 in September. Passed the entrance examination with a 72 and received my NOR to start my pre-employment tentative process for either GS-5 or G-7. At the initial application, I selected Boston for my location. However, my NOR doesn’t state a location, but that negotiation of a location can be done after pre-employment is done.

I passed my physical and I was medically cleared for the position. I completed my Eqip on 11/5/2017 and just received my NOR that my background was submitted to OPR for background investigation. I did elect for provisional clearance. I just wanted to know typically for those that have completed the process, how long it took to heard back to schedule interview/polygraph/drug test since that’s all I have left. When it comes time to negotiate, is there a way for to negotiate for places that were not on the list at the time of submitting the application? I’m married with no kids, but my husband is Active Duty Airforce and I’m not sure how negotiations work for duty locations.

Additionally, when a credit check is done, is that going to be a inquiry on the report as soft or hard? Also, when they look at a report, are they just looking to ensure that I don’t have any collections, Public liens, or bankruptcies? My student loan is deferred and my I don’t have any collections nor judgements or anything. No late payments ever and my credit utilization is between 30-49 just not sure if that could be an issue or not? I did mention on my eqip a collection that has been paid in whole and no longer showing. Sorry for all of these question, first time in the process and just curious. Last question, does the BI do a preliminary investigation to ensure that I met the minimum qualifications before sending it to OPR?

Thanks for your advice and answer! Again sorry for all the questions.
      Last edited by AMTK23; 11-23-2017, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• Capt_Falco
        Capt_Falco commented
        Editing a comment
        I applied in April and got the job offer in late October, the longest wait was between the SI and the poly , about 2 months. From what it looks like reading the forums everyone's process is different and the amount of time between everything varies. As far as "negotiating", I don't think there is much room for it unless you're a previous fed that's already in a pay ban that they have to match, especially for an entry position like cbp. If you really want the job, when/if the time comes and they offer you various locations to pick from I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask if another spot is open, but I wouldn't ask to defer it until that location becomes available because you never know what can happen and maybe you lose out on the job entirely.

There is no hard inquiry reported on your credit and they mainly look to see if you're currently in collections or have past due in payments, you might have to show proof that the collection you paid off was indeed paid. My BI told me that a preliminary background is done early on to make sure there are no automatic disqualifiers on record, like domestic violence charges. Good luck in the process

• ThGreatFandango
        ThGreatFandango commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I think for location its all a bit of a gamble as what locations will be in most need at whatever time you finish process. However, seeing as how Boston was added on after I applied, and the fact that Logan probably has a bunch of positions/openings... I think you stand a good shot of getting there. I put in for a Maine port because it had the hiring incentive pay, but Boston wouldn't be a bad choice so long as you can find affordable housing that's not terribly far away.

• Does anyone know if the provisional clearance can be changed at anytime? I selected to not enter under provisional clearance but have since changed my mind on the matter. Any advice appreciated.

Comment

• GD1R90
        GD1R90 commented
        Editing a comment
        I sent them an email, thank you!

• GD1R90
        GD1R90 commented
        Editing a comment
        So I was told you can email them a new provisional clear form at any time. However, they said that changing your answer will not speed up the hiring process. Just an FYI to anyone that may have been curious.

• Pmgrad08
        Pmgrad08 commented
        Editing a comment
        We are on the same path! 17-9 SY; I got my NOR SI results 10/26-Passes...waiting for medical to be cleared they needed additional information from a past surgery I had...looks like we will be in the same Academy class!
        Last edited by Pmgrad08; 11-27-2017, 12:50 PM.

• GD1R90
        GD1R90 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes that could be a possibility Pmgrad08 I re-applied to 17-11 however, hope that doesn't set me back at all.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8104 users online. 383 members and 7721 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X