300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys,

I applied under 17-10 GS9 and recently completed the medical and fitness tests. The announcement was "location negotiable" but I had to choose a preferred location from a short list. I currently live on the Gulf Coast so I chose Key West. Is there anyone else in the process for this POE or any CBPO's with intel on this port?

Comment

• I am new to this forum as well. I applied under the 17-10 (not VRA) announcement for BPA. I passed my PFT and still waiting to hear on my medical but I don’t anticipate any issues. Anyone have any idea when this academy may be starting? I know the President is really pushing to have all these new people hired so I would think this would move rather quickly. I’ve been through this before and know it moves slow but I figured with the influx of hiring that it would be a bit quicker. Hoping to be in the Academy soon. Seemed like it moved along pretty fast at the beginning and now it’s moving so slow. My equip forms are still processing as well.

July 2017 - applied 17-10
    September 2017 - passed PFT
    September 2017 - medical exam (results pending)
    September 2017 - submitted e Qip forms

Comment

• So my journey with the hiring process has ended today, after I recieved an NOR email saying I failed my SI, which is kind of sad. I wish they made the SI be the first of all steps so we wouldn't put too much time, effort, and hope into this process.

However, I'm planning to try my luck one more time next year, will I be doing everything from the start (fitness, medical)?

Comment

• Steph631_
        Steph631_ commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh no. Did they tell you why? Isn’t the SI like a general job interview?

• county25
        county25 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry to hear about the failure. Does that NOR state how long before until you can do the SI again? If you can re-apply, then you should be able to keep your earlier steps, provided what your NOR from the SI says.

From what I've gathered, CBP cares more about customer service and compassion than they do on their law enforcement mission. Good luck if you choose to try again.

• Cutyprovt12
        Cutyprovt12 commented
        Editing a comment
        No, they didnt tell me. And in the email they sent, they didnt state either.

Part of the email is : "The failed SI result will be valid for a period of 6 months. Failed SI results prevent individuals from being eligible for employment for the Customs and Border Protection Officer position for 6 months from the date of your interview. Your interview was conducted on October 04, 2017. If the interview format is changed or there is a change in the competencies being evaluated, applicants will be required to complete the new test and pass or failure of previous test versions will not be applicable."

• county25
        county25 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like you will need to wait until April to apply again, if you desired to. Again, sorry to hear that and good luck with your future career goals.

• Hello everyone. This is my second attempt at this thing called CBP. I had applied back in 2014 announcement 14-1. I made it to the polygraph stage. Took it twice, first time came back inconclusive second time said I failed. I now have applied to announcement 18–1. Scheduled for entrance exam in November. Is anyone else here in 18–1? Also, anyone know if females are moving as quick as they claim to be or is it the same for both male and female?

Comment

• county25
        county25 commented
        Editing a comment
        Process seems to be moving very quickly for most people. I tested in early June and I'm on the BI step. Cleared the rest.

• disman
        disman commented
        Editing a comment
        The process for females and males is going the same. My girlfriend and I applied to the same announcement and have had almost the exact same dates for eveyrhting in the process.

• Steph631_
        Steph631_ commented
        Editing a comment
        county25 OH wow that’s awesome. From June to now is fairly quick.

disman Thanks I thought so too. But was hearing that since they are in demand for females all the time they tend to speed up the females process.

• county25
        county25 commented
        Editing a comment
        I've heard that depending on a persons background and agency needs, they may "prioritize" certain applications. How they pick those? I have no idea. Heard that from a 14 year CBPO veteran.

• Took the polygraph today, my examiner was very professional and helpful throughout the entire process. I started at 9am and was let go by 1130am. The examiner at the end called me in and asked how I thought I did, I told him I thought I did good, he told me he agreed and that my scores were within an acceptable range. He did warn me however that his results are reviewed by quality control and that there is a small possibility that I may need to come in for a second poly, but then reassured me he was pretty confident in his results! Here's to wishful thinking!

Comment

• Capt_Falco
        Capt_Falco commented
        Editing a comment
        Bam9911 Mine was scheduled in Orlando, though I live in Colorado. After the experience I'm happy I flew down there for it

• county25
        county25 commented
        Editing a comment
        Capt_Falco Wow! Why did you have to go to Florida and not somewhere closer? Did you move since putting in your application or something?

• Capt_Falco
        Capt_Falco commented
        Editing a comment
        county25 I might have put that as my site location because I thought I would be transferred there by now in my current job. The examiner offered to reschedule it closer but I didn't want to extend the wait

• county25
        county25 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, ok. Good luck!

• Hello guys, I just passed my medical and fitness exam. Now I have to add something In my background packets which got pused baack because I missed some forms which isn't really a hassle since the packet is done. I am wondering if this job is worth it. I'm current BOP and I want to make sure this job is good as I imagine because I don't want to keep job hopping and paying for flights.

Comment

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        In 5 years or less you'll be a journeyman GS-12 with a real decent chance of making a 6 figure salary at some point. Is that good enough?

• ak56221
        ak56221 commented
        Editing a comment
        I am BOP also, something you need to remember is that in CBP you can reach your GS-12 automatically. If you are BOP then most likely you qualify to start as a gs-9 meaning in 52 weeks you will have your 11, and in 104 weeks you receive your gs-12 pay. BOP people wait 10-15 years to reach their 12 and going beyond the 12 is slim to none. Not only that when you reach your 12 in the BOP you are daytime management meaning you will receive no differential pay or union protection you are at the will of the employer.
        Last edited by ak56221; 10-07-2017, 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling

• Quick question, does anyone know if I will have to redo my fingerprint card and e-Quip or how long those are valid for?

Comment

• county25
        county25 commented
        Editing a comment
        How long has it been? Most eQIP information is imported if you have filled it out previously. You get to update it and submit it. When you get to the structured interview they typically collect your fingerprints.

• Steph631_
        Steph631_ commented
        Editing a comment
        county25 I last submitted my eQuip on 11/26/14.
        Gotcha back when I applied I had to go to my local police department to have my fingerprint card filled out and I had to mail it in myself.

• county25
        county25 commented
        Editing a comment
        You'll do fingerprints again, but everything is electronic these days. You shouldn't have to submit an inked card and most likely they will do them at your structured interview. I suppose if that post isn't capable at the time of your interview, then you may have to submit an inked card. No doubt you will submit them again, though.

• So I just had my poly and had an interesting experience, long story short it was on about 3 hrs, but after my last run of questioning she kept constantly asking if I was hiding any serious crimes. After I consistently stuck with the truth of no, she said okay well you unfortunately failed. She then walks me outside and says you could just get another poly because they might not even accept my results or they may drop my results all together. I guess serious crimes are the go to area, why ask me to take another one if you think Im hiding something, ive been on this federal job trail for a long time and am ready to just be finished.

Comment

• doe8
        doe8 commented
        Editing a comment
        The really frustrating thing about it, is that once we left the room, she changed everything about how things went, kept saying "you know they might not even accept my results", which leads me to believe everything that has been going on is just lets see what we cant get them to admit and is it anything horrible. I mean im nearly done Im ready to have this job, my wife is just shocked.

• tlouisiana
        tlouisiana commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for you response bambam. Mine went almost identical to yours. I have criminal justice degree and I have gotten 2 driving tickets that’s it. I too, admitted to some minor stuff which wasn’t even asked on the eqip. I mean very minor. My examiner also said that it wouldn’t affect the poly but my examiner wrote it down and he said he will send that to QC with my results. It’s a been a month and half and I still haven’t heard anything from QC. So who knows. Good luck and I’ll be sure to keep y’all updated. God bless
        Doe8. I am with you. My wife and family were shocked too.
        Last edited by tlouisiana; 10-06-2017, 06:31 PM.

• disman
        disman commented
        Editing a comment
        To the ones who said they admitted to minor things. What kind of minor stuff are we talking about? My wife is trying to mentally prepare herself for this step of the process, so that would help.

• MCR1
        MCR1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol looks CBP does this to everyone. No wonder 2/3 applicants fail. Polygraphs are a damn joke. I had the same experience. Screw them.

• Hello everyone,

Timeline for those who want to get an idea of how long everything takes (will try to be as detailed as possible):

Applied for CBPO 17-08 - San Francisco:

Application date: 05/17
      Experience Record Assessment (received and completed): 05/17
      Entrance Examination Scheduling notice: 05/17
      Entrance Exam: 06/04
      Notice of Results: 06/22
      Tentative selection letter: 07/06
      e-Qip letter: 07/06 (submitted withing few days)
      Med Exam Scheduling Notice: 07/07
      Med Test: 07/17
      Fit Test Scheduling Notice: 07/17
      Fit Test (initially scheduled for 07/31 but had to re-schedule since I was out of town): 08/16
      e-QIP Rejection (corrections needed): 09/01
      BI sent to OPR: 09/19
      SI scheduled: 10/13 (email received on 09/21)
      SI NOR - Pass: 10/14

Anyone else here from 17-08 SF? How is your process going along?

As of now the hardest part for me is waiting for next step to be scheduled and not knowing exactly when it will happen. I currently work at a travel agency and have to travel (both domestic and international) a lot. Have to purchase insurance for all my trips since I have no idea which ones of them will have to be canceled.
      Last edited by karinka2002; 10-16-2017, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• annuitcoeptis
        annuitcoeptis commented
        Editing a comment
        karinka2002 I'm 17-08 - San Francisco. Here's my timeline so far:

My timeline for 17-8:

07/11/17: NOR CBP OFFICER GS09
        07/13/17: BI PACKET RECEIVED
        07/15/17: BI PACKET COMPLETED
        07/24/17: NOTICE OF RELEASE TO OPR
        08/07/17: MEDICAL EXAM COMPLETED - PASS
        08/17/17: STRUCTURED INTERVIEW
        08/19/17: NOR STRUCTURED INTERVIEW – PASS
        09/01/17: PFT1 – PASS

POLYGRAPH (waiting to be scheduled)
        DRUG TEST (waiting to be scheduled)

• Well guys I just wanted to put my two cents into this process. I applied back in February and took the test then. Up till now is when I finished my drug test. I completed everything you can with cbp just to get withdrawn from the entire process because of the dreaded polygraph. My experience is the same as everyone’s that recently posted. He accused of every crime possible and wanted me to admit. Didn’t have anything to admit to soo I left it at what it is. He told me it’s up to QC and he dosent think I will pass. I told him there isn’t anything I can tell you. I’m not gonna make up something ? Anyways the whole polygraph thing is bull****. I went through everything. Spent a lot of money going back and forth from the interview that was in Buffalo Ny and I live in jersey which is a 6 hour drive. Cbp is garbage and they know who they want before applying. I got the job as a Leo in my current county and I’m just gonna stick to home. Good luck to everyone and if you have anything questions I can help since I did everything lol

Comment

• Hey guys so I originally applied for San Ysidro, got my TSL and going for my interview next week. This week I also put an application for Boston since it's close to home. Since San Ysidro was direct hire and Boston was not, should I expect a TSL for Boston as well or if I make it through the process will I have to see if Boston is open?

Comment

• keifehr
          keifehr commented
          Editing a comment
          Per the hiring center in Minneapolis, Any completed process on your first application will be transferred over to the new one. The old application will be closed.

• These experiences for polygraph is one reason Im not going to try. Go to VT for physical test then buffalo for other portions..hours of driving and days off from work just o deal with that ****? No thanks

Comment

• I know of a few people that were told they failed and moved on as well as some that really did have to take another test, my examiner was very adamant that i would either have another or have it thrown out, oddly enough.

Comment

• So when I checked the mobile app this morning, it said my Medical had cleared, but in CASS it still shows as pending review. Iiiinteresting.
            Only things left (according to the mobile app) is the Background Investigation (who knows how long that'll take), the Drug Test (should pass that easily), and PFT-2.

Comment

• county25
              county25 commented
              Editing a comment
              Steph631_ if you applied to posting 17-3 or later, then PFT-2 is no longer a requirement. You will still take PFT-1 at some point.

• Steph631_
              Steph631_ commented
              Editing a comment
              county25 gotcha yes I applied to 18-1

• county25
              county25 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep. No PFT-2 then.
              PFT-1 is:
              20 situps / 1 min.
              Rest 3 min.
              12 pushups / 1 min.
              Rest 3 min.
              Do 120 steps per minute on a 12" step for 5 mins.

Pass/fail given. If you happen to fail, then most people are offered a 2nd chance after 6 weeks has passed.

• toonguy15
              toonguy15 commented
              Editing a comment
              For me what is annoying, I cleared the medical, physical and all that j***. But I reapplid for annoucement 17-10 because I changed locations, so now I still haven't received an interview date.

• So anyone got word on the academy being backed up right now.

In pre-academy right now and we are all stuck in a holding pattern waiting for the email with class dates. The classes got pushed back because of the hurricane.

Man I really hope there isn't going to be a government shutdown in a few months since they only did a 3 months extension. Won't be fun being in the middle of the academy and have that happen. Took my 7 months with my prior agency to even get to go to FLETC because of the last shutdown.

Comment

• Capt_Falco
              Capt_Falco commented
              Editing a comment
              Damn, when was your EOD and when were you supposed to start Glynco?

• fathitman
              fathitman commented
              Editing a comment
              Nov is my class date but there are like 2-3 classes of people waiting ahead of me to go. So we have like 15-20 people at pre academy now just waiting,. I don't mind sitting around getting paid 9 pay while waiting but you can only do so much shadowing. Good thing is I do get to meet the officers at the port so that's a bonus.

• Capt_Falco
              Capt_Falco commented
              Editing a comment
              Yea I hear you, after BOP it's probably a nice break though. I wonder if that will push back hiring for everyone else since current classes are being stalled.

• GarrettFaulks
              GarrettFaulks commented
              Editing a comment
              Just came off deferment and they told me they are holding all job offers. I am assuming this is why? Does anybody know when they will start picking up the hiring again.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10195 users online. 492 members and 9703 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X