Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, any suggestion will be appreciated.
    I just applied for Blaine for 17-7 for GS7, just got an email for my SI scheduled in 2 weeks. I live 1:30 south of Blaine. they didnt have any opening at Seattle (closer for me) when i applied so hoping to transfer if something opens up.
    any advise for the SI?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• futureCbpo1982
      futureCbpo1982 commented
      Editing a comment
      I took mine in Philly, dress nice they video record everything now, they tell you it's going to be down in front of a panel, I had one guy who had already retired and just did this for extra money do mine by himself, then the supervisor who was busy that day would look at it the next day and then they had to get the video to Minneapolis for them to look at it. that was my experience, I got an email like 1-2 weeks later I think, I don't remember exactly saying I passed

• keifehr
      keifehr commented
      Editing a comment
      futureCbpo1982 thanks for your response

• I've posted this several times in sub-comments on posts but I feel this is important enough to get its own post. If you don't have to take the PFT2 that is not license to come to FLETC fat and out of shape! Don't let anyone tell you FLETC will get you in shape, get in shape on your own time! If you come down here and fail any of the 3 graduation PT tests you make yourself, your section and your whole class look bad. Aim for more than the mins on the test. You are a team when you're down here and at your POE, your class and your co-workers lives depend on you being in good shape!

Comment

• Originally posted by jynx19 View Post
      Applied to announcement 17-8 (direct hire position (whatever that means))lol
      Entrance exam passed 6-2-17
      E-Qip sent in on 6-25-17
      Medical done on 7-11-17 (says further evaluation needed)
      Took fitness test 8-2-17 (passed)
      I had to make corrections to my background packet and resent it in last Thursday. 8-31-17
      Just waiting for the next step.

I have some questions though. Why does it seem like most of the people on here are applying for San Ysidro? I am from Missouri and pretty much any port I choose will require me to move, so I randomly selected Laredo Texas because of the pay incentive. Btw is there anyone on here that applied to Laredo? And does anyone know what kind of housing situation applicants are looking at when they do their on duty work before fletc? What is recommended? Staying in a hotel for a month would get pricey.
      Also San Ysidro isn't in the middle of nowhere. It's close to decent cities that won't make you hate where you live.

Comment

• futureCbpo1982
        futureCbpo1982 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was wondering that too, if they have a place for us to stay while we doing our OJT before FLETC, I'm just making sure my credit card is paid off and hoping I can find a mom and pop hotel to stay in for a month if they don't.

• Been lurking for a while on these forums to try and gather as much info as possible and finally applied to CBP! Currently a local LEO in So Cal and chose Blaine, WA as a first and in the 17-11 announcement. Appears to be a busy port and a pretty cool place to live just south of there. I noticed after I applied there was a direct hire for San Ysidro open.

Does the agency work with you if you need to move from one state to the next? I'd have to sell my house and move my wife and everything up to WA. Also, what is the pre-academy like now?

Comment

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't count on much for agency help with relocating.

Pre-academy is roughly 4 weeks with the agency prior to going to the academy in Georgia. You'll do all the decisions and paperwork associated with hiring, some basic training, a bunch of familiarization of the port and agency and other preliminary work. Probably lots of busy work and down time as well.

• fathitman
        fathitman commented
        Editing a comment
        Currently in the process of planning my move to Blaine.

- No help unless it is a paid move and that is not an option for you as a new guy.

- Also Blaine and the surround area has a vacancy rate of .06% which means it is very hard to find a place to live out there.

• Stormin123
        Stormin123 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wife has been looking out there lately and she likes Bellingham which is about a 30 min drive south of Blaine.

• EOD: 9/23/2017
      San Ysidro.
      Anyone else ?

Comment

• EOD: 9/25/2017
        San Ysidro.
        Anyone else ?

Comment

• OrangeStuff
          OrangeStuff commented
          Editing a comment
          YES! Ill see you down there on the 25th.

• This might be a dumb question but do they tell you when they offer you the job if you're on a provisional clearance or not? Reason I ask is I got the call, got my offer letter but my BI still says pending. I've passed everything else.

Comment

• Hello,

Anybody in the 17-10 direct hire announcement

Comment

• Evolution81
          Evolution81 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes...gs9 DH.i am already finished with my eqip....i am already fed leo so i just had to update a few things.....SI is pending....medical/pat is pending...im in houston

• HopefulBP
          HopefulBP commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm waiting on my poly........San Ysidro. You?

• Yongky Sunyoto
          Yongky Sunyoto commented
          Editing a comment
          whats the differences between direct hire and nothing on it?

• Can anyone shed light on whether drug testing facilities are instructed to leave voicemail messages when attempting to reach candidates? I'd hate to miss their call and not know it because they didn't leave a message.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• jonesy_k
          jonesy_k commented
          Editing a comment
          The same company (CHS) that schedules the medical and PFT1 exams also does the drug test scheduling via phone call, then a follow up email of time, place, etc. I would like to think that they would leave a message or send an email notification, but I'm not sure.

• 17-9 here. PFT1 finally turned green, first thing to go green in fact. BI packet still under review by HRM and medical still under review as well. I don't know if it's the number of applicants or that they're stalling until the new fiscal year but this is definitely taking longer than some others seem to have experienced. How does it take almost 3 weeks to look at a medical form with practically nothing on it? Same with the SF86, not much on it mostly no's. I guess I'm impatient but I was under the assumption that them looking over the SF86 for corrections wouldn't be the thing stalling the process of all things, I even worked off my saved SF86 from a year ago from a different agency and made only a couple updates. It's going to take a long time for me to get used to the government way of things getting done lol

Comment

• jonesy_k
          jonesy_k commented
          Editing a comment
          I know how you feel. I submitted mine back in January, then the freeze happened, so they probably started back up around June. I think what takes the most time is 1) waiting for your name to come up on the "list" and 2) the BIs going around and checking out all of the character references, employers, etc. that you've listed. Then once the case manager compiles everything, they send it off to someone else for the final stamp of approval (so another list) which could take anywhere from 6-8 weeks. At least that's how it was explained to me...

• Evolution81
          Evolution81 commented
          Editing a comment
          hurry up and wait get used to it with the feds..patience grasshopper

• GD1R90
          GD1R90 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm in the same exact boat.

• Acenall
          Acenall commented
          Editing a comment
          superquagdingo and @GD1R90
          Has anything changed for you 2 or are you still waiting? My Equip is still pending, sent in 9/15/17 and my medical is pending, 9/22/17.
          I have not heard anything about a SI or Poly yet.

• So My TS is for GS5, is there any chance that it'll change to GS7 for the final offer? I quality for both under Superior Academic Achievement and I'm currently a GS6 at my current Fed job.
        17-9 GS7, Blaine
        Applied: 7/31/17
        Exam NOR: 8/21/17
        Medical: 9/21/17, More documents needed emailed 3/21/18
        Fitness: 9/28/17
        SI: 4/24/18
        Poly: 5/16/18 - Pass June 19
        Medical cleared: 7/26/18
        Reapplied 18-11 VRA selected for GS9
        BI:Found unsuitable 8/23/18
        Drug:??
        EOD:??

Comment

• merlin436
          merlin436 commented
          Editing a comment
          I doubt that you'll see a GS-07 without applying for and getting selected for a GS-07 slot.
          They should step you out as a GS-05/step whatever to match your current GS-06 salary.

• Received a call about scheduling my Poly, have they been moving faster? I'm on the VRA and have everything done only started in April.

Comment

• I took the CBP polygraph last June 2016 and was never told if I failed or not. I took the poly once before that and was inconclusive. I don't understand how they can disqualify me for smoking weed in high school and I'm 31 Yrs. old now. I hope everything goes well this time around.

Comment

• fathitman
            fathitman commented
            Editing a comment
            They don't.

They disqualify you for having bad readings while taking the poly. I know plenty of people who passed while admitting to smoking weed in HS.

• CBP has a failure rate of 70% on the polygraph which is 2x the national average for practically any agency or dept. I can't understand how they get away with failing people over this. I heard they were purposely polygraphing people after they disqualified themselves during the process to the tune of about $5,000,000.00.

Comment

• merlin436
            merlin436 commented
            Editing a comment
            Well...a couple of thoughts come to mind.
            One, polys are mandated by law. It's not like they can just walk away from them, flawed as they are.

Two, if they developed a working pre-screening process that effectively weeded out faulty applicants prior to the poly, they'd probably still be paying out that additional 5 million. They'd create some sort of GS-13/GS-14 background adjudicator, and pay 40 of them 125K salaries to do the job. In the end, it would cost more than to simply send everyone to be polygraphed.

• toonguy15
            toonguy15 commented
            Editing a comment
            Is this for CBP? or CBPO?

• Does anyone know if they will give me annual leave to drive too GLYNCO and back? It is a 3k mile drive but I really don't want to be without a truck for that long lol

I already will have over 100 hours of leave that will transfer over from my current agency.

I have been told guys have gotten leave for the drive before. So I am hoping my chances are good enough.
          Last edited by fathitman; 09-10-2017, 08:14 AM.

Comment

• fathitman
            fathitman commented
            Editing a comment
            I take it you do a bunch of tests and computer training while at pre-academy?

• merlin436
            merlin436 commented
            Editing a comment
            Pre-academy varies wildly depending on the port and it's resources, but yeah, computer training should be expected.

It will probably end up being a hodgepodge of filling out the initial paperwork and making the usual choices associated to hiring, basic computer work, entry-level familiarization with DHS/CBP/OFO and the particular port, community, locality. Introductions to management, fellow officers, support personnel. Maybe touch on some basic firearms, basic port operating functions. Maybe do some time functioning as a go-fer doing whatever drudge/busy work is available.

• ES90
            ES90 commented
            Editing a comment
            ^ That is exaclty how my pre-Academy went.

• fathitman
            fathitman commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what I figured. With my current agency it was like that for two weeks and we got thrown into work and didn't actually go to the academy for like 7 months. Had to work and learn everything on our own until we got a class date. Thankfully CBP seems a little more organized.

I am really hoping I get some shadow time before the academy. It makes it easier to do the scenario training using what you saw as a reference while doing shadow.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5063 users online. 225 members and 4838 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X