300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bryan954 View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm a new member. I know someone probably asked this question already but I'm having a hard tome locating it. Can anyone explain the difference between applying between the regular C.B.P.O. announcement and the V.R.A. job announcements. I know the second is for veterans but I was wondering what else if different, and how the two compare. I have been waiting to apply to an announcement for Charlotte N.C. or Fort Lauderdale, Fl among other locations but after months of seeing nothing I recently applied to Key West FL as well as the U.S. Virgin Islands. Is there anyone familiar with these duty locations. How does working at a seaport compare to working at a Airport. I have one more question, how does one get stationed at larger cities in the Southeast such as Orlando, Tampa, Atlanta, Miami, etc if they are never listed on the job announcement, I have been checking since January. Thanks for any answers.
    Eventually, they'll get around for hiring street hires in ports like Miami and Atlanta. Places like Charlotte and Fort Lauderdale might take a while longer because they are smaller ports and more desired internally.

As far as airports and seaports go, a good rule of thumb is that airports typically deal with passenger traffic and immigration issues. Seaports work mostly cargo and customs issues. Airport work is typically more sedentary and indoors. Seaport more moving around, more physical, more outdoors work. Airports tend to have more overtime availability. Seaports typically work less overtime.

Comment

• ES90 I applied for San Ysidro, CA. I currently work with TSA in SC. I have never been on that side of the country and would pretty much start from 0. Do you think location wise i should reconsider ? I'm just trying to get some feedback from people that are more familiar with the job and area.

Comment

• ES90
        ES90 commented
        Editing a comment
        I came from TSA as well. That's 100% your call. If you're up to the challenge there's no better place to start, you'll see everything and do everything a CBPO can do down there. Are you in a hurry to get out of TSA? If you're not and you play your cards right a better port may open up, but then again it might not. Looks like a lot of hiring will be for the South, although the current GS-5/7 announcement has several northern border Ports as well. Besides you can always transfer out if it comes down to it.

• milushka22
        milushka22 commented
        Editing a comment
        ES90 not necessarily in a hurry but sort of yes. The pay isn't all that in SC and i was hired as part time. I'm working full time now but that will end soon. I qualified as gs7 because of my associates, I have been with TSA for 8 months. If I apply with CBP after my 1 year probation time is up with TSA would I be able to apply as GS9? Or is GS7 as far as I can go? I really appreciate anybody's feedback. I have not met anyone that's in/has been in the process with CBP

• locketgirl
        locketgirl commented
        Editing a comment
        I can only give my opinion of the location since my hometown is closeby. I live kind of near and I can tell you you'll be working a heck of a lot more than in other locations. The bordering city, Tijuana, is huge so there's never really a break for CBPOs during working hours. I've also never witnessed a slow day when crossing the border didn't take at least 4 hours so you can imagine the constant influx of activity. I guess it's a thing of balancing what you're looking for. However, you'll get a lot of experience in case you later wish to transfer and, from what I've heard from CBPOs there, they're always working overtime so there's a chance for higher pay. Other than that, there's a lot of activities for you there if you drive to San Diego or if you feel comfortable enough to cross to Mexico. The weather is decent (to me, at least, because my skin doesn't feel like it'll burn off). The people are generally really nice. Housing might be expensive as it's close to the bay area.
        Last edited by locketgirl; 08-22-2017, 10:50 AM.

• milushka22
        milushka22 commented
        Editing a comment
        locketgirl i am looking for all the overtime I can take, I wonder if it will be offered while doing OJT. Rent is not cheap at all there, I've lived in SC for too long and everything is so much cheaper here. I often wonder if im making the right decision.

• Anybody from 17-6 announcement? How far in to the process are you if so?

Comment

• hung_tran
        hung_tran commented
        Editing a comment
        I was 17-6 announcement. I got the offer for GS9 in San Ysidro a couple of weeks ago. I live in San Diego for a very long time. What do you need to know? Good luck.

• milushka22
        milushka22 commented
        Editing a comment
        I wanted to see how far into the process people are ...i received an email last week stating I passed the SI but nothing further

• milushka22
        milushka22 commented
        Editing a comment
        hung_tran if you don't mind me asking, what type of experience do you have that allowed you to apply for gs9?

• hung_tran
        hung_tran commented
        Editing a comment
        I will PM you.

• I received THE call this morning with provisional clearance, but I chose to defer it until everything for sure came back 100% clear. I don't think it will take too much longer because I got a call from my investigator yesterday asking for more references, so with that I think he's actively working on my case. However, I still hope that I made the right decision in not accepting right away...
      Last edited by jonesy_k; 08-21-2017, 08:41 AM.

Comment

• fathitman
        fathitman commented
        Editing a comment
        If you are in no rush for the job it is a good choice to be honest. Mine took only 1 month to clear but I also recently had one for the BOP three years ago so that might of made it easier for them to clear me.

• Originally posted by milushka22 View Post
      ES90 I applied for San Ysidro, CA. I currently work with TSA in SC. I have never been on that side of the country and would pretty much start from 0. Do you think location wise i should reconsider ? I'm just trying to get some feedback from people that are more familiar with the job and area.
      Everything else being more or less equal, working in San Ysidro long-term would probably mean several hundreds of thousands of extra dollars earned over the course of a career, especially when compared to many of the current northern border offerings. There's pretty much an endless supply of overtime in SYS, considerably more than at most other currently available port offerings.

Comment

• milushka22
        milushka22 commented
        Editing a comment
        merlin436 thank you so much for your feedback. I hear the south is more hectic and it can be crazy at times. I wanted to apply for a south location since i am fluent in Spanish and thought that would be very beneficial. I just had my SI last week and passed I am waiting for the next step.

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        OK. Being fluent in Spanish will mean another 100K plus in career money on the Mexican border, with foreign language pay added in.

• Quick update and question. Passed my SI and have my poly in 2 weeks in NYC. Currently own a home on Long Island with my wife. If everything goes well with the process we will be looking into Vermont specifically Newport area for a place to live. Anyone have an experience with that area along with derby line port. My wife's ready to give up a great job without a guarantee at working remotely but I've looked at some great houses up in VT and just trying to hear about anyone's experience up there.

Comment

• milushka22
        milushka22 commented
        Editing a comment
        birddog71 how long after the SI were you contacted for the poly?

• ES90
        ES90 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm on the other side of the state, one week left in pre-FLETC at Highgate Springs. You'll probably have an easier time finding somewhere to buy than I will finding somewhere to rent up here. There's not a lot of rentals to go around. I can only comment on my general impression of the POE's under Highgate, I don't know anything about the eastern side of the state. I'll ask around when I go in tomorrow.

• birddog71
        birddog71 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks ES.
        It took about 2 weeks for them to contact me for the poly. About 6 weeks between my si date and poly. My polygrapher said they've been very busy.

• milushka22
        milushka22 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you birddog71 , tomorrow it will be a week since i had my SI. I'm just trying to figure things out time wise. I live in South Carolina and will need to travel for the poly .

• Can anyone give me any details on the structure for the SI or how easy/hard you thought it was? I applied for the 17-9 announcement so I still have a long way to go but honestly the SI worries me a lot. I've never even had a job interview before (just graduated from university and have been using my free time to care for an elderly family member at home). I'm bilingual and when I get nervous my accent tends to thicken horribly. It's quite embarrassing and I can only try to minimize this by being prepared and relaxing, so I'm trying to get some peace of mind from others' experience since I'm so new to this.

Comment

• fathitman
        fathitman commented
        Editing a comment
        It is a common sense test. People can't go into detail because you do sign a NDA when it comes down to it. Having law enforcement expierence definitely helps you out during it but honestly just use common sense and you will be fine.

Also being bilingual is a plus when it comes to working for customs. They will like that

• milushka22
        milushka22 commented
        Editing a comment
        It's not all that. As everyone says, just common sense. You will do just fine, I learned English at 15 (I'm now 29) so I have an accent too and under pressure my thoughts may not come out how I want them to (LoL) but overall it went well and I passed. Good luck to you, hard to find a girl on this post, I'm sure being bilingual and a female will be very beneficial for the agency

• locketgirl
        locketgirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks to both for the reassurance. Milushka22 I feel your pain. My accent sounds normal in my head but when I'm nervous my tongue feels like lead and I tend to distort words even though I learned English when I was 5. I'll try my best to remain calm.

• Well finally finished all my steps on CASS. My medical took me months to finish but everything is checked off now so I am going to be waiting for the call.

Has anyone here transferred from another agency? Just curious to what the process is for me since I have to go from the BOP to CBP now. I will definitely take annual leave for two weeks to move my happy *** across the country to the border station and I should be able to get that approved easily.

Also anyone in the Blaine area or know someone up there? Going to need to find out a good place to live and whatnot since I never been up there.

Also is is acceptable to report with a well groomed beard. The latest policy I can find says beards are good to go if they are groomed and under an inch. But I do hear FLETC might make you shave.

Also how long did it take to receive a call once your CASS was fully done and how far out are they willing to schedule your EOD date? Seems like a month in advance is common but would be hard to process out from my current agency and move 1500 mile is that small timeframe.
      Last edited by fathitman; 08-22-2017, 04:51 AM.

Comment

• Casper_Talon
        Casper_Talon commented
        Editing a comment
        I also got my results yesterday, 87 score. 17-9 applicant for Blaine WA. Epesguerra we are on the same projected path for hire, hopefully we will both complete it successfully. I've also been looking into the Bellingham area for post-academy living, but I would like to find a room or studio for the 1 month POE training closer to the station, where I can pedal or commute close to it.

• epesguerra
        epesguerra commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to hear another 17-9 for Blaine. Just got promoted to GS6, starting Sep 3. Hope this help me get a GS7 selection. There are plenty of housing areas around the Blaine border so finding a place shouldn't be a problem. I'll have to drive up almost an hour each way but I'm good. What made you chose Blaine Casper? I did coz I live near by.

• Casper_Talon
        Casper_Talon commented
        Editing a comment
        epesguerra Well I live in Florida, I looked at all the northern border stations and researched from there which one would be a better place to live with my family. The ones on the eastern side were not so appealing (weather too cold, not many housing options that were affordable), one option was Montana for the Sweetgrass station, but searching for housing revealed almost nothing available) and Blaine looked a little more populated (store wise for the family to get groceries, gas, kids therapy, homeschooling option from Whatcom county, etc) and weather was "not as bad looking". Also have options to drive over to visit family in California, Hawaii, visit Vancouver. The move would be over 3K+miles , that's also an "adventure" . Just have to plan everything to the T when the time comes.

• keifehr
        keifehr commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey guys, i applied for Blaine for 17-7 for GS7, just got an email for my SI scheduled in 2 weeks. I live 1:30 south of Blaine. they didnt have any opening at Seattle (closer for me) when i applied so hoping to transfer if it opens up.
        epesguerra how far are you on your pre-eployment?
        I

• I went from TSA TO CBP. Once you get the offer letter you will receive an email from CBP HR asking for your current agency's HR contact info. They will get in contact with them and get everything arranged. Annual is an option, I took a few extra days before my official end date for some extra time. Plan on doing the same before and after FLETC as well as you only get one official travel day. From what I'm hearing from the guys that have just gotten back from FLETC while I've been in pre-academy is that if you arrive at FLETC with a well kept beard you're fine. Growing one there is frowned upon but comes down to your instructor. I had less than a month from getting the call to my EOD. I learned after the fact that if you mention you have to move cross country they may give you the option of pushing your class date back to accommodate your move.

Comment

• ES90
        ES90 commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think you can have a rental car, not sure if that's CBP or FLETC rules.

• fathitman
        fathitman commented
        Editing a comment
        Would be CBP rules if that is the case. I had one for the month I was there

• Casper_Talon
        Casper_Talon commented
        Editing a comment
        I read that FLETC allows personally own vehicles for the CBP academy trainees. I plan to leave my truck in FL and drive up after the Blaine training. All counting that I pass the hiring successfully...

• milushka22
        milushka22 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes they allow personal vehicles at FLETC, you just provide the information when you check in at they provide you a parking decal. FLETC offers shuttle services to Walmart and has weekend field trips

• Is the second physical before FLETC or during FLETC?

Comment

• ES90
        ES90 commented
        Editing a comment
        A word of advice to everyone that reads this. Do not report to FLETC unable to pass the PFT2, you will make it a living hell for your class. Heard that there has been high rates of failure in some of the recent classes.

• milushka22
        milushka22 commented
        Editing a comment
        ES90 you said you already reported to your port station right? Have you had your pft2 yet?

• ES90
        ES90 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I did the PFT2 about a month before I reported to my port, my announcement was no where near the cut off. I report to FLETC in a week.

• milushka22
        milushka22 commented
        Editing a comment
        I applied under announcement 17-6 I have no idea when the cut off was.

• How are you all going about obtaining temporary housing while at pre-academy (pre- FLETC)? If your duty station is not in your home state that is.

Comment

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        They might give an extra travel day or two to those traveling in from across-country or off-shore. Ask.

Probably the best way to tackle pre-academy lodging is to call your port and see if anybody there can offer assistance, advice, and/or guidance. Most ports have dealt with new hires before. Most should be able to offer up something...even if it's just nudge in the right direction.

• fathitman
        fathitman commented
        Editing a comment
        That would be nice of them.

I know for the BOP I asked for that information and they basically just told me that I am on my own and do I want the job or not. My HR is not the nicest around.

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        You'll find that sort of treatment in OFO as well. Some ports are willing to work with people and accommodate to one degree or another. Some simply view their people as warm bodies that fill openings and they have no interest in giving anything beyond the minimum and/or what is required of them.

• milushka22
        milushka22 commented
        Editing a comment
        This whole time I was thinking I would meet people at FLETC that would be in my port and we could rent something together as a way to start but I'm finding out a lot of people already live in the area or near the area they applied for. I live in South Carolina, after my SI the supervisors recommended I stay at a comfort stay or any hotel of that sort during my time before FLETC

• https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...7ee_story.html

Be ready for a shutdown that will stall out your applications unless CBP is immune to it. When I joined the BOP I got hired on right before it happened and had to work for no pay for awhile until it opened up and then I got paid.

Comment

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        It'll be much the same in OFO. Full CBPOs will be essential employees and will work without pay until things get settled. Trainees and support staff go home without pay and wait. Eventually it gets settled. Usually, those who get furloughed end up getting paid the same as if they worked.

• Mac1186 to be honest I am not sure. One was for a special agent position that requires a TS clearance. The other was for Capitol Police

Comment

• Just got a call again stating I need to do another polygraph, is this uncommon?

Comment

• fathitman
          fathitman commented
          Editing a comment
          Means quality control flag your results.

It is common for people they want to hire but are on the edge of failing the test.

You shouldn't stress and just go back in and take it again.

• jonfanlo
          jonfanlo commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks fathitman, that just means whatever the examiner tells you after the poly is total bull.

• Ok so I'm in the 17-8 announcement. My background packet was just sent to OPM. The next step is SI. I know the polygraph has been a big hold up for a lot of people. I'm not too worried just gonna do what I can. Interesting read with the article posted about the possible government shutdown. How would that affect the whole process going forward? Anyways I hope I get in. I'm currently a corrections officer in NJ for 9 years, fluent in Spanish, and got my bachelors in CJ. Hopefully things go well and best of luck to anyone else in the process.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12346 users online. 555 members and 11791 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X