300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fathitman View Post

Anything with more than 100 people towns is good for the northern ports as a new hire.

I don't understand how people get hired at some of those ports with the closest town being 50 miles away with like 100 people in the town.
    You have a realistic pragmatism in your view.

Many people do not think as you do. They want opportunities and experiences nearby, both within the community and at work. Off duty, a person can always drive several hours to find the sorts of community offerings he's looking for. On duty experiences...that's a much harder thing to arrange. Sometimes there are temporary assignments that open up that'll broaden experience. Mostly though, people are stuck with whatever traffic and opportunities their home port offers...and not much more.

I've worked some of those ports 50 miles from nowhere. Either you learn to live out in the middle of nowhere...pretty much alone, or you commute many, many miles. I've known people who made it work with commutes approaching 150 miles...one way.

Comment

• Location Negotiable- Anyone have any experience with this?

Comment

• Alphaguy
        Alphaguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Great question. I spoke with a rep from cbp HQ if you will and I was told that negotiation wise isn't what many may think. My cbp recruiter told me I would be able to "choose" yeah not the case. For example she (hr) told me that lay say I wanted SYS and they had jax, Florida open. They would offer me what they wanted to and I had 24 hours to accept or be dropped. VRA this is what I'm referring to. Again this isn't what I heard from a forum this is what she told me on the phone. How true idk. Hopefully someone else has heard something else cause it was confusing for me when I asked.

• MRSWE
        MRSWE commented
        Editing a comment
        Alphaguy- So basically it's them sending you wherever they need bodies? Hopefully someone can confirm can't really trust the HR folks.

• Pretty much. But I felt like you but think about it if you will. They are giving you (us) VRA (vet preference right)? So the fact that hey allow you to choose you're location in the "standard" application process, but you cannot change that station nor can they by law. That's why so many people get held up when they apply to let's say Denver over San Ysidro. They can't say oh I've been waiting x amount of months for Denver but I'm done waiting just give me whatever location that will take me on the quickest.

By giving us a vet preference why not have a catch 22. Just like with ATC entry process you don't choose at all. They place you where they want you, if you pass they pass on you. So HR doesn't seem to off the mark. If they call and you ask what you have available they aren't likely to just run down a list of 300 locations...when they have other qualified applicants whom are ready at the drop of a hat to go to that location. So I believe her. They contact you tell you what they have for you (just like a detailer in the military) and if you say "naw too cold up there" oh well they are off to the next. Again that's what HR told me as well as a GS-13 at the SYS.

Comment

• I applied to CBP because the location was listed as "Negotiable" if they don't honor that and instead offer me one of the locations listed on their standard announcements then I'll just take my KSA's elsewhere. CBP/BP aren't the only agencies out there folks.
        Last edited by Jrod26; 04-22-2017, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• MRSWE
          MRSWE commented
          Editing a comment
          Alphaguy- Do you mind sharing a link to that post? Are they offering the locations that were available on UsaJobs at the time you applied or what is on usajobs when you get a final offer?

• Jrod26
          Jrod26 commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on the link

• MRSWE
          MRSWE commented
          Editing a comment
          Alphaguy- Do you mind sharing a link to that post? Are they offering the locations that were available on UsaJobs at the time you applied or what is on usajobs when you get a final offer?

• Alphaguy
          Alphaguy commented
          Editing a comment
          http://forums.delphiforums.com/custo...ssages/25973/2

It's from a different forum but I think the other forum is more up to date on cbp post as well as your specific announcement. This isn't the exact but most have the same experience.

• Originally posted by ac132 View Post

Can i ask if u still have a security clearance from being a vet. Im currently getting out. I just sent in my polygraph waiver form and wondering if u went through same process? My e quips just got sent to OPM but i have already completed a SSBI investigation.
        Nope been out for awhile.

I have a current BI with BOP which is the same kind CBP does so they could have just used that one to speed theirs up. IDK

I was just told they expedited my BI. I took the poly, met with my investigator like a week after, my BI cleared 3 weeks later.

I also told them I didn't want to job until I get my BI cleared as well.

Comment

• Has anybody had any luck from the FOIA request? I filed, its been a year and it still says processing.

Comment

• Jrod26
            Jrod26 commented
            Editing a comment
            Agencies typically process requests in the order of receipt. The time it takes to respond to a request will vary depending on the complexity of the request and the backlog of requests already pending at the agency. A simple request can be processed faster by the agency than one that is complex. Simple requests are typically more targeted and seek fewer pages of records. Complex requests typically seek a high volume of material or require additional steps to process such as the need to search for records in multiple locations. The agency’s FOIA Requester Service Center is available to assist you with any questions about the status of your request or any steps you can take to receive a quicker response.

• Anyone know how long to wait before I can reapply for a CBP position again after failing a polygraph? Also can I apply for any other agency like DEA, immigration services etc..or do I still have to wait a while just as long?

Comment

• MRSWE
            MRSWE commented
            Editing a comment
            Not sure but I thought I read it was something like 2 or 3 years, as far as other agencies they may have different policies, but you shouldn't have an issue with those that don't require a poly.

• Originally posted by dangerr101 View Post
          Has anybody had any luck from the FOIA request? I filed, its been a year and it still says processing.
          FOIA requests can take years.. mine came through in a little over a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bifsha4 View Post
            Anyone know how long to wait before I can reapply for a CBP position again after failing a polygraph? Also can I apply for any other agency like DEA, immigration services etc..or do I still have to wait a while just as long?
            Three years to reapply for CBP

You can apply for other agencies but they will probably look into your fail poly and either do their own or use that result.

Comment

• I was told the nogales az location was hiring a lot of agents, can anyone confirm that is accurate i applied to that location and have passed all my pre employment process.. it has been 2 months now after completion but i have not been scheduled for my pft 2...

Comment

• Originally posted by j.c. View Post
                I was told the nogales az location was hiring a lot of agents, can anyone confirm that is accurate i applied to that location and have passed all my pre employment process.. it has been 2 months now after completion but i have not been scheduled for my pft 2...
                Nogales will always be hiring. They need a lot of people.

Comment

• Sc7
                  Sc7 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pft2 is schedule once u get a EOD date and accept. After u get the final offer and EOD date you will get an email with the pft2 date and time.

• Rumor is CBP is phasing out the PFT-2. Apparently they feel they can get candidates in shape at the academy instead of losing people in the hiring process. I guess running a mile and a half under 17 minutes is too hard for most.
                Not all men can be U.S. Marines that is why there is the Army, Navy and Air Force.

Comment

• No longer a rumor, there won't be a PFT-2 anymore.

Comment

• Sc7
                    Sc7 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was just schedule for pft2 for June. Pft2 is still a requirements for anyone that apply to an announcement prior to 17-3.
                    I apply to 16-7 got the call last week with EOD and pft2 . My letter make it clear that if I fail pft2 I would not be able to report and my offer will be terminated.

• Originally posted by valetudo39 View Post
                  Rumor is CBP is phasing out the PFT-2. Apparently they feel they can get candidates in shape at the academy instead of losing people in the hiring process. I guess running a mile and a half under 17 minutes is too hard for most.
                  This has always been job where the "Stephen Hawkins" of the world are probably more successful than the "Chuck Liddell's".

There's not much need to run 1.5 miles well after one gets the job.

Comment

• Any clue when that will take effect?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8547 users online. 417 members and 8130 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X