300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bifsha4 View Post
    It's been 9 months for me and counting...
    I applied in 12-14-16 for CBP....I also applied for a 0083 position in June, 2016 and I'm still waiting so the hiring process does take long.
    Last edited by valetudo39; 03-30-2017, 07:05 PM.
    Not all men can be U.S. Marines that is why there is the Army, Navy and Air Force.

Comment

• I applied for the 16-8 announcement. Just had my poly 2/28 so waiting for the results now. What location did you apply for?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bifsha4 View Post
        I applied for the 16-8 announcement. Just had my poly 2/28 so waiting for the results now. What location did you apply for?
        El Centro but I chose to wait to have my whole background completed before being offered a position.
        Not all men can be U.S. Marines that is why there is the Army, Navy and Air Force.

Comment

• Originally posted by valetudo39 View Post
          You do realize the whole process can take up to a year to get completed especially if you chose not to get picked up until the whole BI is completed.
          Yes; so I've been told. The entire process isn't my current concern. As I stated I was inquiring about the medical results. However, I was told by an employee that it's as early as 3-6 months for certain locations. Depending upon the wants/needs.

Comment

• Originally posted by valetudo39 View Post
            You do realize the whole process can take up to a year to get completed especially if you chose not to get picked up until the whole BI is completed.
            I didn't even know that was an option. So you can be hired before your background is complete?

Comment

• Sometimes, for some people, provisional clearances are an option. Sometimes they are not.

Lots of times, things within CBP run rather cyclically. Provisional clearances tend to surface that way. They'll run with them until the problems inherent with them demands addressing... then they'll pull them for a while until the problems presented from a lack of a provisional clearance take priority...and then, provisional clearances return again.

Comment

• Originally posted by gnikbgnak13 View Post

I didn't even know that was an option. So you can be hired before your background is complete?
                Most Federal jobs do that.

Comment

• Hey fellow CBPO applicants,

So I have a question about GS 5 vs GS 7 qualification. I've worked for an organization subcontracting for our County Probation Dept for 2+ years. I monitor probationers and report directly to their Probation Officers should I find them in violation of their probation terms. My caseload consists of drug traffickers, smugglers, dealers etc etc. Many of whom have been released from prison due to non violent drug offenses.

Anyway, I'm somewhat concerned. I stated on my initial answers that I would accept no less than a GS 7 position because I felt my current duties would meet the requirements to be comparable to a GS 5. Has anyone out there been approved for or denied a request for a GS 7 position because their previous experience did not meet their criteria?

My status on USA Jobs went from Received to Reviewed & back to Received. I've been waiting to see will it change to Referred as I believe that would mean they'd qualified me for the GS 7. I guess if I don't get approved I'll have to re-apply and note that I would accept a GS 5 position.

Of course there's always a chance I'm over thinking it and I just have to be patient, that's a given.

Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by oceanbeach View Post
                    Hey fellow CBPO applicants,

So I have a question about GS 5 vs GS 7 qualification. I've worked for an organization subcontracting for our County Probation Dept for 2+ years. I monitor probationers and report directly to their Probation Officers should I find them in violation of their probation terms. My caseload consists of drug traffickers, smugglers, dealers etc etc. Many of whom have been released from prison due to non violent drug offenses.

Anyway, I'm somewhat concerned. I stated on my initial answers that I would accept no less than a GS 7 position because I felt my current duties would meet the requirements to be comparable to a GS 5. Has anyone out there been approved for or denied a request for a GS 7 position because their previous experience did not meet their criteria?

My status on USA Jobs went from Received to Reviewed & back to Received. I've been waiting to see will it change to Referred as I believe that would mean they'd qualified me for the GS 7. I guess if I don't get approved I'll have to re-apply and note that I would accept a GS 5 position.

Of course there's always a chance I'm over thinking it and I just have to be patient, that's a given.

Thanks.
                    From what you stated you don't qualifying for GS-7 unless you have a bachelor's degree. You might for a GS-5
                    Last edited by valetudo39; 04-04-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• I do have a bachelor's degree.

My work duties would fall under the compliance/regulatory field which they listed as an acceptable area of comparable experience. Perhaps you are right, I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I'm hoping if they find me non-eligible for GS-7 they will offer me GS-5 without me having to reapply. There's no doubt in my mind that I meet the eligibility criteria for GS-5.

Thanks for your thoughts valetudo39

Comment

Thanks.
                        Have you done your e-QIP package yet? If not, you will get it soon. And once you can be able to login your CASS, you would know what grade you are qualified for. Just wait

Comment

I do have a bachelor's degree.

My work duties would fall under the compliance/regulatory field which they listed as an acceptable area of comparable experience. Perhaps you are right, I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I'm hoping if they find me non-eligible for GS-7 they will offer me GS-5 without me having to reapply. There's no doubt in my mind that I meet the eligibility criteria for GS-5.

Thanks for your thoughts valetudo39
                          I doubt they'll be offering you a GS05 once you've declined yourself for consideration of a GS05 offer.

Do you qualify for superior academic achievement to go along with your BA/BS? Banging that drum, if you have it, might get you noticed as a GS07 qualified applicant as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by cruffic View Post
                            Dear Sirs/Ma'ams,

My name is Leexin, I would love to become a CBP officer and I am wondering what are my chances?

I took the CBP test on 3/14/17
                            NOR Score 78 received 3/22/17 (non-vet), As an immigrant, I did not do well on the English part I believe.
                            Location: Seattle WA ( I Chose this place because there are many Chinese people in the area and it is a major port for U.S.-China Trade)
                            Language Skill: Chinese Mandarin ( Proficiency F, highest possible)
                            Ethnicity: Asian ( Chinese )
                            Education: Master's Degree in Public Administration
                            Experience: Already a federal civilian employee (GS-9) under another agency.
                            I know my test score is low, does that mean this is the end for me? I will never receive a TSL?

I appreciate your input. Thank you very much.

Respectfully
                            Leexin
                            TSL 4-5-17 Seattle/Tacoma

Comment

• Originally posted by cruffic View Post

TSL 4-5-17 Seattle/Tacoma
                              Congrats & good luck with the rest of the process! Keep us posted!

Comment

Thanks.
                                Well my concerns were found to be legitimate. Received notice today:

"Your application does not show that you have the required specialized skills needed for this specialty and grade"

Already resubmitted initial questionnaire with GS-05 as my requested rate. You live and you learn. They've already notified me that they will use my previously taken entrance exam results (90).

Comment

• cruffic
                                  cruffic commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I applied to the same announcement you did. My status went from Received to Reviewed and now Referred. I have a Master's degree, never had any law enforcement experience. However I am already a GS9 in the federal system. I applied for GS7 only as well. I think my GS9 status granted me the green light for GS7, perhaps a higher steps in pay.

• oceanbeach
                                  oceanbeach commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Thanks for your comment Leexin. It really does make sense that I apply under their entry level pay rate. So with that rectified, on I go again in the waiting game. You & I had taken the entrance exam & gotten our NOR on the same dates.

I'll be interested to hear how your remaining pre-employment process gets scheduled, hopefully I won't be too far behind you.

• cruffic
                                  cruffic commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  You are welcome. I will keep you posted. Fortunately San Ysidro location is being reposted. I applied for Seattle and that location is no longer available in the newer announcement. I scored a 78 on my exam and I had a pretty hard feeling on that but thank God I was able to receive a TSL. The TSL email says I should expect another email that will give me the access to CASS. I am sorry that they disqualified you for GS-7.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10894 users online. 534 members and 10360 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X