300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Capt_Falco View Post

I'm in the same boat as you guys, applied to the 17-2 posting. Completed the medical, physical, and my background has been sent to OPR now just waiting for the interview to get scheduled. I am wondering how the recent critiques of the Customs polygraph exam failure rate and the increased need for border protection personnel are going to effect the next crop of applicants.
    Good question....at a 65% failure rate it will make hiring large numbers impossible.
    Not all men can be U.S. Marines that is why there is the Army, Navy and Air Force.

Comment

• Originally posted by valetudo39 View Post

Good question....at a 65% failure rate it will make hiring large numbers impossible.
      I believe it's a 65% non-passing rate. As in 35% of polys pass...and 65% are either inconclusive or an actual failure.

It would be interesting to see those figures broken down to just OFO applicants. Given the differences between personnel and hiring pools, I'd expect OFO to have a markedly higher success rate.
      Last edited by merlin436; 03-11-2017, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• It does make one wonder what in the world are they asking people during the poly...or are these applicants just that much of a liability. I would like to assume most aren't just lying during the process. No one is perfect so again I wonder I digress

Comment

• Originally posted by Alphaguy View Post
          It does make one wonder what in the world are they asking people during the poly...or are these applicants just that much of a liability. I would like to assume most aren't just lying during the process. No one is perfect so again I wonder I digress
          I think its how ever they score it and what ever psychological standards they're looking for, not necessarily the people. I know a guy that's failed it twice and doesn't so much as have a speeding ticket. My first test was inconclusive due to some dumb stuff on my end and a provisional pass the second time around(still waiting for official word). However you look at it, they've got to make some changes, I bet they're turning away good candidates.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alphaguy View Post
            It does make one wonder what in the world are they asking people during the poly...or are these applicants just that much of a liability. I would like to assume most aren't just lying during the process. No one is perfect so again I wonder I digress
            The poly is a joke and they know so, but they are using the poly to cover their asses, primary issue being border corruption. The Anti-Border Corruption Act is what started this polygraph fiasco. Either way its proven to be ineffective and it has caused nothing but harm.

Comment

• Originally posted by spect1 View Post

The poly is a joke and they know so, but they are using the poly to cover their asses, primary issue being border corruption. The Anti-Border Corruption Act is what started this polygraph fiasco. Either way its proven to be ineffective and it has caused nothing but harm.
              Yup. Pretty much.

The underlying problem was/iis corruption and misconduct and largely the Border Patrol inclination to cook their books, redefine the problems, bury the cases and not openly and aggressively deal with their problems of corruption and misconduct. Not surprisingly, OFO got swept up in it all via the Anti Border Corruption Act.

And so, here we are...

Comment

• After my Polygraph 2 weeks ago and my examiner not exactly being very helpful with what the outcome will be. I'm still hopeful the HR people find it had possitive results.

Crossing my fingers I passed or at the very least I can retake the poly.

Comment

• I applied for a CBP position last year at a GS-7 level and was one of the unfortunate ones to receive the email that I would be disqualified after my polygraph. The email I received was "accordance with 5 CFR 332.406 and 5 CFR 731, your tentative offer of employment is therefore being withdrawn". This came to my surprise because I have a perfect clean record (not even a driving ticket), a college degree in international business and speak Spanish. The process I went through wasn't the easiest as well.

---entrance exam---pass
                  --fitness test---pass
                  ---Physical test---pass
                  --Q-packet- which got sent back to me a few times. It required that I see a special physical therapist doctor (out of pocket) since I broke my wrist a year prior to applying. If you have any recent injuries you will have to get this done!!! Also do know that you won't be able to go to any PT office and get this done. There are only a select few in the State of California that specialized in this and they will need to sign off on you. I even tried to explain to a lady at CBP how can someone do 30 push-ups under a minute and lift the crates (fitness test) but not be able to hold a gun for more than 10 seconds? Best answer I got back was--- we have standard protocols on that. Also on top of that you will have to get your WHOLE medical history and send it back to Minneapolis. My medical record was 144 pages (.40 cents a page) and they won't accept a flash drive or CD-ROM. After doing all that I still was not getting cleared. They wanted my original discharge summary from a physical therapist (which I never went to after my injury) and a radiology report. In the end I was told "I will pass it off to higher management".
                  VB test---pass
                  poly----undecided.

After 3 weeks I got the email that I was being disqualified I tried to track down why would I be disquialfied. After a few failed attempts on requesting my FOIA I directly contacted CBP. I was told the reason why I failed was because I travel out of the country (all short trips) to Mexico, Cayman Islands, Australia and Nicaragua to much and I have drug use in the past. Getting told that got me sort of ticked off. I absolutely DON'T do drugs Those were way in the past and CBP requieres drug test and they do it randomly. My thoughts are if someone from Southern California applies for CBP and says "I have NEVER tried any weed in my life". I would more than likely say yeah right.
                  Anyways that was the experience I went through on trying to get the job. Seems like an awesome awesome awesome job to have and I wish everyone the best of luck with the process.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lynndevin View Post
                    ---entrance exam---pass
                    --fitness test---pass
                    ---Physical test---pass
                    --Q-packet- which got sent back to me a few times. It required that I see a special physical therapist doctor (out of pocket) since I broke my wrist a year prior to applying. If you have any recent injuries you will have to get this done!!! Also do know that you won't be able to go to any PT office and get this done. There are only a select few in the State of California that specialized in this and they will need to sign off on you. I even tried to explain to a lady at CBP how can someone do 30 push-ups under a minute and lift the crates (fitness test) but not be able to hold a gun for more than 10 seconds? Best answer I got back was--- we have standard protocols on that. Also on top of that you will have to get your WHOLE medical history and send it back to Minneapolis. My medical record was 144 pages (.40 cents a page) and they won't accept a flash drive or CD-ROM. After doing all that I still was not getting cleared. They wanted my original discharge summary from a physical therapist (which I never went to after my injury) and a radiology report. In the end I was told "I will pass it off to higher management".
                    VB test---pass
                    poly----undecided.

Did you even get a chance to take the poly exam before you get the rejection notice? or after 3 weeks after your poly exam that you get

Comment

• Originally posted by vv076 View Post

Did you even get a chance to take the poly exam before you get the rejection notice? or after 3 weeks after your poly exam that you get
                      I took the polygraph and 3 weeks later I recieved the rejection letter.

Comment

• i just got into my cass account for the BPA position for the 1st time and there`s no polygraph listed, is that normal?
                        officially sworn into the Us Marine Corps, going in with an 03 contract leave for bootcamp on January 9th

Comment

• The Poly is lumped in under Background Investigation.

Comment

• Go to www.bpunio.org for some scoop or go to the podcasts. The Green Line #146 talks about the polygraphs.
                            Not all men can be U.S. Marines that is why there is the Army, Navy and Air Force.

Comment

• Check out the EO Hiring plans...it identifies the problem with the polygraph as well as other reason the hiring process for CBP officers will hinder the mass hiring required.
                              View and download EO Hiring Surge Plan.pdf on DocDroid
                              Last edited by valetudo39; 03-17-2017, 12:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by valetudo39 View Post
                                Check out the EO Hiring plans...it identifies the problem with the polygraph as well as other reason the hiring process for CBP officers will hinder the mass hiring required.
                                Unfortunately, I think that's pretty much a Christmas list for Border Patrol only. I have my doubts if any good from it will befall OFO.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8632 users online. 280 members and 8352 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X