300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bifsha4 View Post

Hmm I hope I don't have to wait that long. I'm taking my Poly Tuesday and from what my examiner told me over the phone, you should know withing a few weeks tops. Everyone's proccess is different though.

I agree!! Everyone's process is different. It has been 3 weeks for me already and I'm still waiting. I just hope that we don't have to wait that long... =) oh..and best of luck on your poly!!

Comment

• Hello all I'm new to this forum and have been reading the last 50 posts or so, I have couple of questions, my location is San Ysidro, will I be at an order entry or is there an airport that they could possibly place me in? I have done everything including poly just waiting on the background. What's the likelihood of getting stationed at an airport? I know San Diego is nearby to San Ysidro. Any openings in DC for CBP, I reside in the DC metro area. Thank you all, a lot of good info on here.

Comment

• You'll be at the land border, that is where bodies are needed.

Comment

• For the people looking at Ice and Cbp I would suggest applying to both uf federal law enforcement is the goal. It never hurts to apply, but Ice from what I've seen are individuals with prior law enforcement, military, advanced degrees (masters), and corrections experience. Even with 10,000 openings I think it will be hard for someone off the street to get hired. I know a lot of current BP agents and Cbp officers (myself included) are looking to jump to ice it'll be competitive for sure. Cbp Officer and Bp agent for lack of a better term are great entry into law enforcement positions that I would not miss out on and but all my eggs into the Ice basket. There's no way they hire all 10,000 this year so just get in however you can would be advice.

Comment

• Originally posted by cbp1363 View Post
            For the people looking at Ice and Cbp I would suggest applying to both uf federal law enforcement is the goal. It never hurts to apply, but Ice from what I've seen are individuals with prior law enforcement, military, advanced degrees (masters), and corrections experience. Even with 10,000 openings I think it will be hard for someone off the street to get hired. I know a lot of current BP agents and Cbp officers (myself included) are looking to jump to ice it'll be competitive for sure. Cbp Officer and Bp agent for lack of a better term are great entry into law enforcement positions that I would not miss out on and but all my eggs into the Ice basket. There's no way they hire all 10,000 this year so just get in however you can would be advice.
            I'll bet that the BP and maybe OFO and DHS puts their foot down and becomes obstructionary just to keep large numbers from jumping ship from CBP at large. Maybe ICE hiring announcements at the GL-05-07-09 level only to discourage current GS12s from moving.

Even if CBP decides to be nice and allow for movement, I can't see ICE not needing to scrap the bottom of the barrel for minimally qualified street hires. Past practice has it so...and the recent BP, OFO and Air Marshal mass hiring have all shown similar problems.

Pretty much the best mass hiring that I've seen was OFOs...and we had the option to hire lots of well-qualified people in their 40s-50s-60s back then...and we did, we leaned on that grouping a lot. Nobody has that option now. Plus OFO is far more eclectic and inclusive of females and other minorities than just about everybody else. Unless ICE and the BP move quickly and forcefully to be much more diverse in hiring practices, they'll continue to have a limited base to draw from.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMA90 View Post
              Hello all I'm new to this forum and have been reading the last 50 posts or so, I have couple of questions, my location is San Ysidro, will I be at an order entry or is there an airport that they could possibly place me in? I have done everything including poly just waiting on the background. What's the likelihood of getting stationed at an airport? I know San Diego is nearby to San Ysidro. Any openings in DC for CBP, I reside in the DC metro area. Thank you all, a lot of good info on here.
              It seems like we are on the same process. I have done my poly few weeks ago and waiting on the background. Just don't know how long it takes. And my duty station is also at San Ysidro. What is your job announcement?

Comment

• CBPO-17-1 that's my announcement number, is yours similar? Same duty location as you too, maybe we end up there together, hopefully eveveuthing works out for both of us

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post

I'll bet that the BP and maybe OFO and DHS puts their foot down and becomes obstructionary just to keep large numbers from jumping ship from CBP at large. Maybe ICE hiring announcements at the GL-05-07-09 level only to discourage current GS12s from moving.

Even if CBP decides to be nice and allow for movement.
                  We were talking about this this morning in the office. Since they can't exclude current CBP employees from applying to ICE announcements, I agree with you. The best they can do is orchestrate an agreement behind closed doors to at a minimum require all applicants to attend the academy which will stop all the 40+ year old BP/OFO people from leaving. Then maybe having all announcements being 5/7. Most guys aren't going to want to leave a 12-5 for a 7-10

Regardless, we are still going to be hurting when the dust settles.

Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                  Plus OFO is far more eclectic and inclusive of females and other minorities than just about everybody else.
                  I think this is an extremely misleading statement. It implies other agencies like BP are discriminatory to minorities and women. Not only does BP for example have a huge diverse workforce (white guys are the minority at most SWB stations), BP even went as far as having OPM write them an exception to allow for a female-only hiring announcement. I think BP hired like 72 women nationwide off of it. I know the actual number was less than 100. It was a disaster. It has a lot to do with OFO having relatively low standards just like BP, but being a much less intense of a LE job. Most people, especially women, don't want to be running around with body armor an M4 long sleeves and full gear and bookbag in the 105+ degree desert by themselves with backup 15+ minutes away. That may sound sexist but the reality is most people don't want to do that regardless of gender
                  UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                  "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post

I think this is an extremely misleading statement. It implies other agencies like BP are discriminatory to minorities and women. Not only does BP for example have a huge diverse workforce (white guys are the minority at most SWB stations), BP even went as far as having OPM write them an exception to allow for a female-only hiring announcement. I think BP hired like 72 women nationwide off of it. I know the actual number was less than 100. It was a disaster. It has a lot to do with OFO having relatively low standards just like BP, but being a much less intense of a LE job. Most people, especially women, don't want to be running around with body armor an M4 long sleeves and full gear and bookbag in the 105+ degree desert by themselves with backup 15+ minutes away. That may sound sexist but the reality is most people don't want to do that regardless of gender
                    This

They're still trying to hire more women, but like you said the nature of the job is what will deter most of them. Finding women who want to do the job, meet qualifications, and meet physical standards (a ton of guys flunk this aspect as well) is probably harder than the job itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post

Even if CBP decides to be nice and allow for movement, I can't see ICE not needing to scrap the bottom of the barrel for minimally qualified street hires. Past practice has it so...and the recent BP, OFO and Air Marshal mass hiring have all shown similar problems.

Pretty much the best mass hiring that I've seen was OFOs...and we had the option to hire lots of well-qualified people in their 40s-50s-60s back then...and we did, we leaned on that grouping a lot. Nobody has that option now. Plus OFO is far more eclectic and inclusive of females and other minorities than just about everybody else. Unless ICE and the BP move quickly and forcefully to be much more diverse in hiring practices, they'll continue to have a limited base to draw from.
                      I agree with some parts I don't think CBP will let their ranks get decimated by ICE. My post was more for the people thinking about not applying to CBP and just applying to ICE because it interests them more. I still think being a fed Leo with an immigration enforcement background will put you at the top for ICE if that's the dream agency for that particular person.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taz81 View Post
                        Got an email today. Your Background Investigation (BI) packet has been submitted to The Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) in Washington, DC. Due to privacy issues we at the Minneapolis Hiring Center do not have access to your background investigation.

Each applicant completes the BI at a different rate based on many things including number of former residences, ability to reach people listed in the e-QIP, request for a polygraph, and more.
                        "Your Background Investigation (BI) packet has been submitted to The Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR)"

Is that the normal next step in the background investigation for all applicants?

Comment

• Originally posted by monikarpena View Post

"Your Background Investigation (BI) packet has been submitted to The Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR)"

Is that the normal next step in the background investigation for all applicants?
                          Yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by monikarpena View Post

Yes, now you have to play the waiting game.

Comment

• Thank you for responding. I was worried that they were having difficulties contacting some the people listed ( even though I did give everyone a heads up ).

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
                                Aren't white guys the minority in most SWB towns? I was a northern-border white guy in Arizona awhile back. I stood out like a polar bear in a sleuth of brown bears.

OFO has had and has utilized a title 5 exemption from OPM to target hire females for many years, fa​r longer than the BP.

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fil...s/Pdo-fy14.pdf

2014 CBP PDO report. While there are more recent reports, this was the latest open-source one I could find. The numbers for the current report is very similar.

Page 19..

While I agree that the different nuances and particulars of the job explain away some of the discrepancies...the fact remains that OFO simply values overall diversity more and they more effectively and aggressively pursue a broader inclusion of minorities...especially women.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8637 users online. 393 members and 8244 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X