300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lethal View Post

So going forward it seems like ICE will have a lot more opportunities. Merlin, between OFO & ICE which would you say is the better option, and which one will provide better opportunities for growth?
    Sorry But can you break down the Abbreviations for me? i don't want to be that annoying guy but this fed stuff is much harder to research and understand compared to NYC agencies. OFO is the abbreviation that confused me.

What does ICE do and what Does CBP do? On the web site they have a position called border patrol agent and then they have customs and border patrol officers.

Thanks for explaining it to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post

Yes. ICE is a different agency.

It's ICE that'll be hiring for those 10,000 additional jobs, not CBP...although the Border Patrol will be hiring 5000 on their side of CBP in addition to what ICE hires.
      are they affiliated at all? can one switch from one to other? I'm going to try to google some info before harassing you guys any further lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrooklynBorn View Post

Sorry But can you break down the Abbreviations for me? i don't want to be that annoying guy but this fed stuff is much harder to research and understand compared to NYC agencies. OFO is the abbreviation that confused me.

What does ICE do and what Does CBP do? On the web site they have a position called border patrol agent and then they have customs and border patrol officers.

Thanks for explaining it to me.
        OFO = Office of Field Operations. Customs, Border Patrol, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement are all under the Department of Homeland Security. I'm just an applicant (currently with TSA and trying to get into a Federal Law Enforcement Agency), so my answers won't be as detailed as what others here can provide. I think this site explains it well:

Border Patrol (“BP”) is part of CBP. Whereas CBP is charged with border enforcement at ports of entry, BP is responsible for patrolling the areas at and around international land borders. The primary mission of BP is “the detection and apprehension of illegal aliens and smugglers of aliens at or near the land border.” The BP focuses on enforcing immigration laws in areas near ports of entry, and has jurisdiction to investigate, arrest, and detain aliens within 99 miles of land borders. Some of BP’s major enforcement activities include maintaining traffic checkpoints along highways leading from border areas, conducting city patrol and transportation check, and anti-smuggling investigations.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (“ICE”)

The major difference between ICE and CBP is that while CBP is responsible for enforcing immigration laws at and near the borders, ICE is responsible for enforcing immigration laws within the remaining areas of the U.S. In addition to investigating, arresting, and detaining illegal aliens, ICE is also responsible for the removal of aliens. ICE activities include anti-smuggling efforts, locating persons illegally in the U.S., enforcing the laws against the unauthorized employment of aliens, and battling money laundering. ICE attorneys are also responsible for representing the U.S. government in immigration prosecutions.

As you can see, ICE and CBP enforce many of the same immigration laws, yet each agency has enforcement duties that are exclusively its own.

http://www.borderimmigrationlawyer.c...al-immigratio/

Comment

So going forward it seems like ICE will have a lot more opportunities. Merlin, between OFO & ICE which would you say is the better option, and which one will provide better opportunities for growth?
          ICE will have more opportunities to work at different locations within the United States. Someone else may be able to tell you better information, but I'm not sure ICE has many entry level positions. A lot of times CBP (Border Patrol especially) personnel make the switch to that agency, because they're doing very similar work.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrooklynBorn View Post

The poly it self lasts 6 hours? Wow that's intense. After that long I might admit to things I didn't do just to get out of there lol.

I heard they are about to hire 10,000 CBP officers, is that true?
            You might want to be careful when admitting to anything as they tell you before the test that anything that you admit to can be used against you..just be careful if you incriminate yourself. You can bring a lawer with you to the test if you wish to also.

Comment

• Originally posted by ES90 View Post

I took it twice for 16-10, passed the 2nd time. I'd say from what I've experienced that that seems like a pretty normal exam

Did you get to know right at the spot that you've passed the 2nd time? If not, how long did you wait until you get the result?
              Thanks

Comment

i think it really depends on what you prioritize.

OFO has 329ish ports and a few hundred more various crossings, facilities and worksites, plus several dozen locations outside the US. I'm pretty sure we outnumber ICE locations...but since ICE/ERO is looking to triple in size...whatever advantage OFO might have could well disappear with the proposed expansion. I also think OFO is probably the more stable job with the greater likelihood of weathering the fluctuations of administration and policy change. Enforcement priorities change. The need for proper facilitation of legitimate trade and travel pretty much is constant and never out of fashion or demand.

OFO probably also offers the greatest variety of work. ICE/ERO is mostly to exclusively immigration.

On the other hand, ICE will offer far more in terms of enforcement. Probably a far better pay system money-wise and retirement percentage-wise as AUO or whatever erventually replaces it plugs into the majority and retirement better than OFO's COPRA. ICE looks to be far more favored moving forward under Trump's watch. I would expect to see them to gain far more than OFO during the next 4-8 years.

I'd say, unless you prefer OFO for location or for more community service and trade/travel facilitation aspects of work...probably ICE is the flavor of the forseeable future.

Comment

i think it really depends on what you prioritize.

OFO has 329ish ports and a few hundred more various crossings, facilities and worksites, plus several dozen locations outside the US. I'm pretty sure we outnumber ICE locations...but since ICE/ERO is looking to triple in size...whatever advantage OFO might have could well disappear with the proposed expansion. I also think OFO is probably the more stable job with the greater likelihood of weathering the fluctuations of administration and policy change. Enforcement priorities change. The need for proper facilitation of legitimate trade and travel pretty much is constant and never out of fashion or demand.

OFO probably also offers the greatest variety of work. ICE/ERO is mostly to exclusively immigration.

On the other hand, ICE will offer far more in terms of enforcement. Probably a far better pay system money-wise and retirement percentage-wise as AUO or whatever erventually replaces it plugs into the majority and retirement better than OFO's COPRA. ICE looks to be far more favored moving forward under Trump's watch. I would expect to see them to gain far more than OFO during the next 4-8 years.

I'd say, unless you prefer OFO for location or for more community service and trade/travel facilitation aspects of work...probably ICE is the flavor of the forseeable future.

Thanks merlin. When it comes to location I'm ok with working almost anywhere, be it the SWB, or the interior such as New York, Miami, San Francisco, etc.

Comment

Thanks merlin. When it comes to location I'm ok with working almost anywhere, be it the SWB, or the interior such as New York, Miami, San Francisco, etc.
                    Well...If you don't much care where you work then the question probably falls to what you want to do and how much money you want to make.

If doing enforcement is a priority...ICE.
                    If public service, administrative/regulatory is more to your liking...OFO.

If working 8 hours a day and maximizing earnings with larger shift differentials and limited 2X overtime appeals to you...OFO.
                    If working longer hours for a more balanced and retirement-friendly pay system is a plus...ICE.

Comment

Well...If you don't much care where you work then the question probably falls to what you want to do and how much money you want to make.

If doing enforcement is a priority...ICE.
                      If public service, administrative/regulatory is more to your liking...OFO.

If working 8 hours a day and maximizing earnings with larger shift differentials and limited 2X overtime appeals to you...OFO.
                      If working longer hours for a more balanced and retirement-friendly pay system is a plus...ICE.
                      Thanks for all the info. Based on everything that's been talked about in this sub forum these last few weeks I'm leaning more towards ICE.

Comment

• Thanks for all the info guys. Ice seems a little more exciting to me.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Based on everything that's been talked about in this sub forum these last few weeks I'm leaning more towards ICE.
                          My advice...apply for any position that interest you. See where the current takes you. You can always decline later those offers that aren't a proper fit for you.

In all likelihood, ICE will outhire OFO by many thousands over the next few years. On top of that, the need for 10,000 additional staffing in ICE, 5,000 additional staffing within the Border Patrol and the additional needs of OFO, plus the ever present need that everyone has to fill for overall attrition, the real numbers of open immigration positions will probably approach 18,000-20,000 openings, more or less. We can probably expect plenty of near-future hiring at minimal qualifications...especially for ICE and the BP.

Comment

• http://www.npr.org/2017/02/23/516712...asy-to-fulfill

Comment

• Originally posted by vv076 View Post

Did you get to know right at the spot that you've passed the 2nd time? If not, how long did you wait until you get the result?
                              Thanks
                              The examiner told me at the end as far as he was concerned I had passed but obviously had to wait until QC got the results. I took the test in early January and still haven't heard official word.

Comment

• Originally posted by ES90 View Post

The examiner told me at the end as far as he was concerned I had passed but obviously had to wait until QC got the results. I took the test in early January and still haven't heard official word.
                                Hmm I hope I don't have to wait that long. I'm taking my Poly Tuesday and from what my examiner told me over the phone, you should know withing a few weeks tops. Everyone's proccess is different though.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4414 users online. 181 members and 4233 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X