Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you want to get hired more quickly, put in for a southern port that is begging for people (SLU.) Before I left CBP for another agency, I started at a southern port and got hired about 2 years faster than classmates who wanted northern border, or southeastern airports. Thats how it was in 2011. Then, if you want to transfer, you can "reapply" under a new announcement after you're already OTJ. That's how I left southern border and transferred to the northern border. I was on the southern border (SLU, Arizona) for about 3 years. If anyone has any questions about my process, PM me or comment here.

Comment

• So I took my poly and the guy decided to give me a failure as his field decision. I definitely was not lying nor trying to cheat the polygraph and I have never done drugs but he kept insisting I come clean and stop trying to "fight the process". Honestly I was just extremely nervous and told the truth so now I am nervous that I will fail and was curious if anyone had a similar experience. Background on me is clean, never done drugs, tried a cigarette once, have no crime ties and currently hold 3 civil service positions.

If the decision comes back that I did indeed fail it how long must I wait to re-apply for a new announcement?
      Last edited by Jeeper15; 11-01-2016, 09:22 PM.
      CBPO Timeline
      Test 2015 E-Qip 8/27/2016 Medical/PFT-1 9/12/2016 S.I 10/19/2016 Polygraph 10/26/2016

Comment

• Your email formally telling you of the decision will say. It is obscenely long, I think 2 years maybe even three. It is long enough that all my friends, current local cops and military, who have failed said 'screw it' and arent going to reapply after the wait period. The poly is a joke. My brother takes it soon.
        UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
        "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
          Your email formally telling you of the decision will say. It is obscenely long, I think 2 years maybe even three. It is long enough that all my friends, current local cops and military, who have failed said 'screw it' and arent going to reapply after the wait period. The poly is a joke. My brother takes it soon.
          It all comes down to the person doing the poly and if the agency REALLY wants you.

A bunch of officers I work with right now failed it and I passed it pretty easily.
          Last edited by fathitman; 11-02-2016, 03:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeeper15 View Post
            So I took my poly and the guy decided to give me a failure as his field decision. I definitely was not lying nor trying to cheat the polygraph and I have never done drugs but he kept insisting I come clean and stop trying to "fight the process". Honestly I was just extremely nervous and told the truth so now I am nervous that I will fail and was curious if anyone had a similar experience. Background on me is clean, never done drugs, tried a cigarette once, have no crime ties and currently hold 3 civil service positions.

If the decision comes back that I did indeed fail it how long must I wait to re-apply for a new announcement?
            CBP's poly is a joke. I know several guys who were already in LE and were failed, and also guys who failed the CBP poly and ended up getting hired by another agency. Just because its the largest federal law enforcement agency in the country doesn't mean they're doing it right.

Comment

• so does a failed CBP polygraph effect you future LE career?
              will other agencies inquire about the CBP poly?

Comment

• Originally posted by dangerr101 View Post
                so does a failed CBP polygraph effect you future LE career?
                will other agencies inquire about the CBP poly?
                NO

Other agencies can look into the poly but they shouldn't actually use it or anything. Most of them will only do their own poly and count it within the feds at least.

A ton of people have failed the poly for one agency and passed it for another one.

Comment

• Originally posted by fathitman View Post

NO

Other agencies can look into the poly but they shouldn't actually use it or anything. Most of them will only do their own poly and count it within the feds at least.

A ton of people have failed the poly for one agency and passed it for another one.
                  This is correct. I have had friends fail CBP poly, and go out and successfully complete state and local polys and get hired.

Be advised though, being employed by CBP and failing another agency's poly may very well have an effect on your current career.

I am on a detail and interact with DC brass on a weekly basis. An A-Chief who oversaw USBP's poly program for some time told us that yes, failing a polygraph, with say DOJ when you are already in CBP, can be grounds for an IA/OPR investigation that can lead to termination.

So granted this is hearsay, but it did come from a reputable source. We had a sit-down with the BP union earlier this week, and asked them the question as well, and are waiting on a response from them. Will advise yall when I get an answer.
                  UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                  "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post

This is correct. I have had friends fail CBP poly, and go out and successfully complete state and local polys and get hired.

Be advised though, being employed by CBP and failing another agency's poly may very well have an effect on your current career.

I am on a detail and interact with DC brass on a weekly basis. An A-Chief who oversaw USBP's poly program for some time told us that yes, failing a polygraph, with say DOJ when you are already in CBP, can be grounds for an IA/OPR investigation that can lead to termination.

So granted this is hearsay, but it did come from a reputable source. We had a sit-down with the BP union earlier this week, and asked them the question as well, and are waiting on a response from them. Will advise yall when I get an answer.
                    i know you have to wait 2 or 3 years to apply if you fail the CBP poly. How long does CBP keep the failed poly results?

i would like to apply again but don't want them going back to my old results and using it against me

Comment

• How long until you get your SI results?????

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt8538 View Post
                        How long until you get your SI results?????
                        Got mine about 3 days after I completed mine.

Did just get a medical email requesting me to get my own physical and they want a ton of my VA paperwork for my disability stuff.

This is going to be fun trying to get all this stuff done within the month time frame they gave me.
                        Last edited by fathitman; 11-16-2016, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• I also got my SI results within 3 days but unfortunately it's been 3 months and counting and I'm still yet to get any info about my last 2 steps...drug test and polygraph.

It's getting annoying very fast

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeeper15 View Post
                            So I took my poly and the guy decided to give me a failure as his field decision. I definitely was not lying nor trying to cheat the polygraph and I have never done drugs but he kept insisting I come clean and stop trying to "fight the process". Honestly I was just extremely nervous and told the truth so now I am nervous that I will fail and was curious if anyone had a similar experience. Background on me is clean, never done drugs, tried a cigarette once, have no crime ties and currently hold 3 civil service positions.

Congress members this past year had higher ups from CBP sit in front of them to answer why they have such a high poly failure rate. I believe it is something like 70-80% failure. Nobody really had a good answer and just kept saying they have high standards and aren't going to change standards etc.

Comment

• they have such high standards they are willing to give you another chance in two years. If someone fails a drug question how is that going to change in two years? The machine doesn't work and their policy highly suggests that. I refuse to take a polygraph for CBP.

Comment

• The polygraph is required as as result of public law. It would take an act of Congress to eliminate it.

Beyond that, the motivation for a polygraph goes beyond OFO issues and OFO applicants. It's also driven by the need, perceived or actual, to address misconduct issues within Border Patrol.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11122 users online. 404 members and 10718 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X