300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fathitman View Post
    So what are the current grooming standards? Beards allowed?

Also shifts? 8 or 10s?
    Down here in South Texas, all my neighbors who are OFO have mandatory overtime. One guy, 5 days a week he works 8, 16, 8, 16, 8 hour shifts. His paychecks as a 12 step 4 (I think) are like 7000, but what is the point if youre never home and a zombie?
    UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
    "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post

Down here in South Texas, all my neighbors who are OFO have mandatory overtime. One guy, 5 days a week he works 8, 16, 8, 16, 8 hour shifts. His paychecks as a 12 step 4 (I think) are like 7000, but what is the point if youre never home and a zombie?
      My first year with the BOP was like that. But they hired 150+ officers to cut down on the OT and now there is none.

And **** YEA for beards being allowed lol. I was going to ask that at the interview since the one thing I like about the BOP is they only care about the uniform. We have dudes that look like straight lumberjacks including myself.

Originally posted by merlin436 View Post

Beards are allowed.

Shifts depend on location. Standard shifts fall in the 0000-0800, 0800-1600 and 1600-2400 bracket for 24HR ports. Eight hours is the standard workday everywhere. Some locations offer Alternative Work Schedules. Some of those schedules are eight 10 hour days per pay period. Others offer a mishmash of various options...like six 12's and an eight, seven 9's and an eight, etc. As with the shifts, it really depends on location as to what is available for work scheduling.
      I heard if you get hired with a incentive that will play into your schedule. Since it will be a 25% for 3 years. That is a bunch of money

Comment

• That the hiring incentive is just that. They cut a check for 25% of base pay for the first three years. Scheduling has nothing to do with that money.

You might be thinking of the Border Patrol's BPPRA...which can be 25% extra for 25% extra work. That needs to be worked and therefore is a part of their scheduling.

​​​​​​That hiring bonus is very much like getting GL pay...which many like the BP and the BOP get as GL-10 and under employees. It's a lot better than not getting it, but it's really not all that much different than what most other LEO positions are getting for their first three years.

Comment

• Overtime might flow like that in Texas. That might also be the case in other Mexican Border locations and some of the largest ports elsewhere.

Don't count on a plethora of overtime availability being the norm on the northern border or in most places not major or significant ports. It's not.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
            Overtime might flow like that in Texas. That might also be the case in other Mexican Border locations and some of the largest ports elsewhere.

Don't count on a plethora of overtime availability being the norm on the northern border or in most places not major or significant ports. It's not.
            Sign me up for a NC port with no OT, would be a dream come true. They haven't solicited for the Southeast region in like 3 years.

honor first

Comment

• Well step test completed lol definitely not something your used to when you get to that part.

Comment

• Dcherise18088
                Dcherise18088 commented
                Editing a comment
                Call it for what it is...it sucks! Haha I've been working on my cardio ever since just to make sure I can get thru training. I'm 5-4, btw, a 12 inch step is a long way up for my short little legs lol

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
              Overtime might flow like that in Texas. That might also be the case in other Mexican Border locations and some of the largest ports elsewhere.

I never really cared for OT to begin with. The only reason to do it in the BOP is to sit at the hospital and because we max out at GL7 and have to compete to get GL8 which is ridiculous.

Comment

• Can someone provide any insight whether the CBPO entrance exam changed recently and whether previous (passed) test results are no longer valid? I took and passed the exam a year ago and was trying to see if that would carry over to my current application, however I was told I have to take it again.
                Last edited by determined11; 10-06-2016, 12:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by determined11 View Post
                  Can someone provide any insight whether the CBPO entrance exam changed recently and whether previous (passed) test results are no longer valid? I took and passed the exam a year ago and was trying to see if that would carry over to my current application, however I was told I have to take it again.
                  From what I was told this is a new test. The math is harder than it was before.

If it has been longer than a year you have to retake the test anyways

Comment

• There is a slew of misinformation being passed along here. Who cares if they don't actually have 6c coverage? They still have a plan that is the exact same; the same 1.7%, same [email protected]/25 retirement, etc.

People are saying they do not have special law enforcement coverage, in the same was FPS or VA police don't. This is not true.

They could call it 6c or 9a or 2b, what is the difference, you still get the benefit of early retirement with an increased calculation.

Straight from this link: http://www.fedseminars.com/CBPO_Revised.pdf

The retirement formula for a FERS employee who opts in to the CBPO retirement coverage is as follows:

1.70% x high three x 10 years of service plus

1.00% x high three x 20 years of service
                    ----------------------------------------------------------
                    FERS CBPO
                    : may retire at age 50 with a minimum of 20 years or at any age with 25 years of service in a covered poison after July 6, 2008.

CSRS CBPO: may retire at

age 50 with a minimum of 20

years of service in a covered

poison after July 6, 2008.

Under both CRSR or FERS,

covered CBPO service after

July 6, 2008, may be

combined with service

performed in law

enforcement

Originally posted by 1895bombdog View Post
                    Dear CBPSDJohn,

Please do tell what happens on the southern border with all that overtime? Have you ever been forced out? Have you ever been forced to spend another 8 hours because someone called in sick? Do you know of anyone who was forced to call in sick just to spend a birthday or special event with a family member? How is the morale at your port?

I prefer to be honest with a potential new hire than to encourage him to make the best of a bad situation.
                    Yes, that is how it happens to my neighbor most of the time. And the second question, yes all the time, aka 'banging in', which then screws someone else who has to cover it.

Perpetual cycle of stupidity at OFO. There is no way it is cheaper to pay all these customs guys double time with all the OT than to just hire more officers and not pay them double time

If you are under 37, and looking to get into Federal Law Enforcement, I would say don't even waste your time with CBP. You will have to go to a four month academy in FLETC and learn everything there is to know about being a real LEO only to go back to your port and be a stamp monkey in a booth. CBP are not LEO's they are inspectors. Looking like a cop and being a cop are two very different things.
                    topkek this opinion is unfortunately the view most other FLEOs have.
                    Last edited by battlewagon; 10-06-2016, 11:42 AM.

honor first

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
                      There is a slew of misinformation being passed along here. Who cares if they don't actually have 6c coverage? They still have a plan that is the exact same; the same 1.7%, same [email protected]/25 retirement, etc.

People are saying they do not have special law enforcement coverage, in the same was FPS or VA police don't. This is not true.

They could call it 6c or 9a or 2b, what is the difference, you still get the benefit of early retirement with an increased calculation.

Straight from this link: http://www.fedseminars.com/CBPO_Revised.pdf

The retirement formula for a FERS employee who opts in to the CBPO retirement coverage is as follows:

1.70% x high three x 10 years of service plus

1.00% x high three x 20 years of service
                      ----------------------------------------------------------
                      FERS CBPO
                      : may retire at age 50 with a minimum of 20 years or at any age with 25 years of service in a covered poison after July 6, 2008.

CSRS CBPO: may retire at

age 50 with a minimum of 20

years of service in a covered

poison after July 6, 2008.

Under both CRSR or FERS,

covered CBPO service after

July 6, 2008, may be

combined with service

performed in law

enforcement

Yes, that is how it happens to my neighbor most of the time. And the second question, yes all the time, aka 'banging in', which then screws someone else who has to cover it.

Perpetual cycle of stupidity at OFO. There is no way it is cheaper to pay all these customs guys double time with all the OT than to just hire more officers and not pay them double time

topkek this opinion is unfortunately the view most other FLEOs have.

You do realize that you're quoting posts fhat are over ten years old?

In the case of the second quote, Midnightheat was one of the most extreme serial job position jumpers I've yet to see. He started in OFO, jumped to ICE IEA, to ICE DO prior to their eventual merger then jumped to one of the smaller agencies to become an 1811. I have no idea where he is today. That movement was all in the course of a handful of years.That guy was never happy no matter where he was and, if past contentment is any indicator, of present contentment, he's not happy where he's at now.

CBPOs are 12D/6C covered. They have been since the summer of 2008. They methodology of their coverage differs somewhat from most other LEOs...but only the absurd would argue that they lack 12D/6C coverage.

In most situations I'd agree that it's cheaper to pay current CBPO's overtime rather than hire new staff. The agency doesn't have to send current CBPOs to FLETC, doesn't have to insure them, or provide them TSP benefits, a uniform allowance or any of he other expenditures that additional people require...as all those working OT already have those benefits. On top of that they have fully experienced people working the job.on overtime..as opposed to new hires that take years to bring up to full potential. Plus, overtime is more flexible,.The agency can move overtime out of a port like, say , Seattle and into a port like, say, Warroad, MN for 6 weeks then move that overtime again to Morgan, MT for 4 months. That can't be done with a flesh and blood person...at least not as easily.. COPRA overtime isn't like AUO or the BPPRA where essentially everyone gets the same share of the pie...it's an extremely well targeted expenditure available, for the most part, to a few and within a narrow band of circumstances. It's far cheaper than either a fully funded AUO or BPPRA. They spend COPRA overtime where and when they need it...and it goes away why it's not needed. Compare that to say, hiring people in Piegan, MT for seasonal help with Glacier National Park and then having those people sit around 9 months of the year awaiting the return of summer and the tourism traffic. More often than not, overtime makes more sense, both as a practicality and from a fiscal standpoint.

As far as Midnight's opinion goes, I don't think it's the predominate view of most FLEOs...at least not the ones that have multiple and frequent working contacts with OFO. I'd say it's a dinosaur view left over from the pre -CBP days...and even then it largely wasn't true and a view held by a few Koolaid drinking agency supremists who are locked into their own indoctrination, their version of propaganda, their unwarranted biases...mostly from people who really have littte or nothing to do with OFO on any meaningful basis and glean most of what they do know from inaccurate/obsolete posts on internet boards.

Those who work with us frequently respect us for what we are and what we bring to the table, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by determined11 View Post
                        Can someone provide any insight whether the CBPO entrance exam changed recently and whether previous (passed) test results are no longer valid? I took and passed the exam a year ago and was trying to see if that would carry over to my current application, however I was told I have to take it again.
                        One thing they did do was to remove the Video Based Interview from the hiring process. I believe that major changes such as that render past tests invalid as far those trying to move forward without a current tentative offer issued under past testing.

Comment

• So noticed on the newest job posting Massena NY port was off the recruitment incentive list. I started the process when it was on the list so does that mean I will still get it?

Also will me opting to not get hired until my background clears hurt my chances of getting that port?

Comment

• You're in the running for Massena if you applied for Massena.. The fact that they've moved on elsewhere is probably indicative that they have relatively few openings and that they reached their goal for applications

As far whether or not waiting for a final clearance affect hiring and to what degree...I'd guess it does...especially in a less than large portion like Massena. If and how much is probably a crystal ball question though.
                            Last edited by merlin436; 10-06-2016, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• So are you saying if you applied for the announcement that had the 25% 3year increase that there's still a chance you'll get it???

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8988 users online. 421 members and 8567 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X