Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good call then. Otherwise I would say you would be a fool to not take it just to get the clock and pay raises in motion
    UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
    "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• My timeline is below. Wondering if they've already completed my background (pre polygraph) since it's been over two months since I submitted fingerprints and completed the interview.

I was offered BPA in 2013, but declined due to the location and a different job offer. Does anyone have a similar experience. I thought they'd contact me beforehand just to update everything, but obviously that hasn't been the case. Also, MHC won't tell me at what stage they're at in my BI, but said it was released immediately after my interview.

Anyone have an idea of how much longer I'm looking at? Only lending BI and Drug Test and have been since the interview.

CBPO 16-6 (Laredo, TX)
      3/19- Schedule Written for 3/24
      3/24- Written
      4/2- Applied 16-7 (San Ysidro)
      4/4- NOR 89 GS-7/9 16-6 (Laredo)
      4/13- TSL GS-07 (Laredo)
      4/14- e-QIP Submitted
      4/29- Email to Schedule Medical/Fitness test
      5/4- TSL GS-07 (San Ysidro)
      5/10- Medical
      6/7- Fitness Assessment
      6/29- Panel Oral Board- 1100 hrs
      6/30- Passed SI
      7/25- Passed Medical
      9/30- Scheduled Poly for 10/05

BPA 16-5
      3/19- Schedule Written for 3/31
      3/29- NOR 90 GS-09 Ineligible (16-4)
      3/31- Written
      4/16- NOR 90 GS-09 Qualified (16-5)
      4/28- SI Scheduled 5/12- Reschedule Req.
      5/2- Email to Schedule Medical/Fitness test
      5/9- Medical
      5/10-Fitness Assessment
      6/27- Panel Oral Board - 0800 hrs
      6/28- Passed SI
      7/25- Passed Medical
      9/30- Scheduled Poly for 10/05

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
        Good call then. Otherwise I would say you would be a fool to not take it just to get the clock and pay raises in motion
        Yea I am not doing another preclearance

Since I would be moving across the country for the job (like i did for the BOP) I don't want to be sitting around thinking about my background the whole time. That sucked.

I figured the worst thing to happen is they fill all the spots and I have to pick another location to work at.

Does anyone know if the tenative selection holds a spot for you?

Comment

• No, it doesn't. If you read the tentative selection letter it spells it out. Tentative only upon completing the process and if vacancies exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nieto2588 View Post
            No, it doesn't. If you read the tentative selection letter it spells it out. Tentative only upon completing the process and if vacancies exist.
            I figured

well let's just hope there is a spot open when my background gets done. If not I am sure I can reapply to another area or wait for another opening.

Comment

• Originally posted by fathitman View Post

Yea I am not doing another preclearance

Since I would be moving across the country for the job (like i did for the BOP) I don't want to be sitting around thinking about my background the whole time. That sucked.

I figured the worst thing to happen is they fill all the spots and I have to pick another location to work at.

Does anyone know if the tenative selection holds a spot for you?
              I'd think you would be more or less the poster child for those people who ought to take the tentative clearance option.

One, you've been cleared before...that ought to point to the fact that there's no obvious reason to deny you another clearance. Two, since you've been through something similar before, you ought to know just exactly what is out there from your past that might be objectionable and, since you likely declared every indiscretion already for your BOP clearance...there really shouldn't be any unknown big suprises out there.

Comment

Also, MHC won't tell me at what stage they're at in my BI, but said it was released immediately after my interview.
                That is because they don't know. They received the favorable or unfavorable results back from the BI agency, whether it is OPM 1810 or a contract company doing it, nothing more than that.

UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• They will have openings. CBP is the largest LE agency in the nation, I believe at 28,000 commissioned. There is no way they will ever be fully staffed when you consider attrition, retirements, etc. Theu may slow eventually, but never stop hiring unless there's some federal freeze that requires it. And, if/when that happens, they'll have to hire a ton once it's lifted due to all the movement while frozen.

Comment

• Battlewagon- That's pretty much what they said. I'm seeing a lot of guys doing their BI quickly after their SI. My situation is a little different. I'm thinking they're using my recent background they completed recently and just updating. If that's the case, I should hear pretty quickly after the poly next week.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post

I'd think you would be more or less the poster child for those people who ought to take the tentative clearance option.

One, you've been cleared before...that ought to point to the fact that there's no obvious reason to deny you another clearance. Two, since you've been through something similar before, you ought to know just exactly what is out there from your past that might be objectionable and, since you likely declared every indiscretion already for your BOP clearance...there really shouldn't be any unknown big suprises out there.
                      I get what you are saying. But I rather have all my ducks in a row before I move across the country again. Sure I passed it before but I still would be worrying the whole first year. I am not too worried about getting hired quickly. Since I work for the BOP I can take my time. It would be different if I didn't have a decent job already.

We have had guys who passed their background for BP and worked for them for 5+ years and come to BOP and fail it and get walked out right before their year is up. I see it often enough that I just don't want to take the chance,

I realize I might not get the station I want by waiting for my BI to clear but that's OK with me. This also gives me time to get into better shape so I can perform better while at the academy.
                      Last edited by fathitman; 09-30-2016, 09:52 PM.

Comment

They will have openings. CBP is the largest LE agency in the nation, I believe at 28,000 commissioned. There is no way they will ever be fully staffed when you consider attrition, retirements, etc. Theu may slow eventually, but never stop hiring unless there's some federal freeze that requires it. And, if/when that happens, they'll have to hire a ton once it's lifted due to all the movement while frozen.
                        There are about 46,000 sworn LEOs within CBP, making CBP the largest LE agency in the US.
                        Roughly 24,000 of those are CBPO's...making OFO and CBPO's the largest federal law enforcement office/position.

Comment

• So what are the current grooming standards? Beards allowed?

Also shifts? 8 or 10s?

Comment

So what are the current grooming standards? Beards allowed?

Also shifts? 8 or 10s?
                            From what I read it depends on whether you sign up for the 25% ot or what ever it is for hours don't know about shifts,
                            Did you test your fitness test yet just wonder how the step test was lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt8538 View Post

From what I read it depends on whether you sign up for the 25% ot or what ever it is for hours don't know about shifts,
                              Did you test your fitness test yet just wonder how the step test was lol
                              Well the step test was pretty much as bad as you expect. I am in pretty good shape but being 6'8 and 270lbs it was tough. Basically wanted to throw-up for an hour after it. Just don't stop and keep on stepping

Comment

So what are the current grooming standards? Beards allowed?

Also shifts? 8 or 10s?
                                Beards are allowed.

Shifts depend on location. Standard shifts fall in the 0000-0800, 0800-1600 and 1600-2400 bracket for 24HR ports. Eight hours is the standard workday everywhere. Some locations offer Alternative Work Schedules. Some of those schedules are eight 10 hour days per pay period. Others offer a mishmash of various options...like six 12's and an eight, seven 9's and an eight, etc. As with the shifts, it really depends on location as to what is available for work scheduling.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9331 users online. 467 members and 8864 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X