Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by K_C792 View Post
    Yes I'm currently in Orlando. I first applied to highgate springs vermont but decided to change locations so i reapplied to Laredo.
    Good decision. Especially if you're looking to up your odds of getting hired and getting hired more quickly.

    Highgate is, at biggest, an 80 person port that might be looking at hiring a few dozen people at most. Laredo is a mega port who might well be hiring more people this year than the total Officer complement of Highgate.

    Plus, if you're an urbanite, Highgate is going to be several hours away from any US city roughly the same size or bigger than Laredo. We're probably talking of a 4.5 hour drive to the greater Boston area before some community the size of Laredo pops up on the horizon.

    Comment


    • Does anyone know if after withdrawing application I would have to interview and go through medical again? I did everything except polygraph. This is all under a year only a couple of months ago.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
        Good decision. Especially if you're looking to up your odds of getting hired and getting hired more quickly.

        Highgate is, at biggest, an 80 person port that might be looking at hiring a few dozen people at most. Laredo is a mega port who might well be hiring more people this year than the total Officer complement of Highgate.

        Plus, if you're an urbanite, Highgate is going to be several hours away from any US city roughly the same size or bigger than Laredo. We're probably talking of a 4.5 hour drive to the greater Boston area before some community the size of Laredo pops up on the horizon.
        Yes, being an urbanite greatly influenced my location choice. I also needed an area closer to a military installation as I currently am a reservist in the Air force. Laredo sounds like it will be a great fit for me.

        Comment


        • Hello all, I am a 16-10 applicant. I have my SI in about a week. I plan on wearing a suit and such. Is the information correct that there is no VBT? And can anyone tell me about their SI experience? I know NDA's are signed, just wondering how long the interview lasted, and if any advice can be given. I am trying not to worry too much and stay calm.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by ky19lw View Post
            Hello all, I am a 16-10 applicant. I have my SI in about a week. I plan on wearing a suit and such. Is the information correct that there is no VBT? And can anyone tell me about their SI experience? I know NDA's are signed, just wondering how long the interview lasted, and if any advice can be given. I am trying not to worry too much and stay calm.
            I just had my SI last week and passed. What I can tell you is that it's not hard at all. There is I believe 6 scenario questions they ask you which are fairly straight forward. Keep calm and be honest with your answers but most of all be confident about your answer.

            It took me about 45 min to an hour to do my SI along with finger prints too not sure your going to give fingerprints yet. It's different for everyone and the location they apply for.

            There is no VBT anymore that is true.

            Good luck man! You'll be fine.

            Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • So just got my results for my testing I got a 87 (97 with my 10 point preference added on) rating for the GL 5

              Applied for Massena, NY. Since it seems to be the biggest port area hiring on the northern border.

              My question is since I am a GL 7 Step 3 with my current agency. Do you thing I can get hired on as a 7 or at least get them to match my step even as a 5? I know some guys have done that when going into different agencies.

              Anyways, Any advice about Massena?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by fathitman View Post
                So just got my results for my testing I got a 87 (97 with my 10 point preference added on) rating for the GL 5

                Applied for Massena, NY. Since it seems to be the biggest port area hiring on the northern border.

                My question is since I am a GL 7 Step 3 with my current agency. Do you thing I can get hired on as a 7 or at least get them to match my step even as a 5? I know some guys have done that when going into different agencies.

                Anyways, Any advice about Massena?
                You qualified as a GS 5 not GL, two different pay scales. Not sure if you're currently GL or actually GS. If you're coming from another agency, you'll likely get matched to the salary closest to you. In you're case, let's assume you're a GL-7/3, you'd be coming in as a GS-5/10. However, without locality information, it'd be hard to "quantify" an estimate.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                EOD - 08/2014
                FLETC - 9/14 - 01/15
                DUTY LOC - JFK (CENTRAL EAST)

                Comment


                • Originally posted by juniorspades View Post
                  You qualified as a GS 5 not GL, two different pay scales. Not sure if you're currently GL or actually GS. If you're coming from another agency, you'll likely get matched to the salary closest to you. In you're case, let's assume you're a GL-7/3, you'd be coming in as a GS-5/10. However, without locality information, it'd be hard to "quantify" an estimate.


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Currently a GL 7 Step 3 with the BOP.

                  So why is CBPO a GS? Seems like you guys should be GL lol

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by fathitman View Post
                    Currently a GL 7 Step 3 with the BOP.

                    So why is CBPO a GS? Seems like you guys should be GL lol

                    Highgate is noticeably larger than Massena. Neither is that big though. Medium sized trending towards small...more or less. Massena is a one bridge port ponied up to the Mohawk reservation. As far as current openings go it's not a horrible option but unless you're from the area you'll likely tire of it soon enough and find yourself looking for the opportunity to move on elsewhere.

                    Of course, none of the current northern border ports offered will be hiring anything close to the numbers that some of the southern border ports will be hiring at. The main hiring action will be in places such as San Ysidro, Laredo and like ports.

                    CBPO's aren't eligible for GS pay because the law that in 2008 made them eligible for 12D/6C retirement didn't define them as "LEOs" under the law but instead defined them separately as a class as eligible. There are both good and bad results to that approach. The lack of GL coverage being one of the bad.

                    Over the course of a career it's largely little more than an annoyance. The GL pay grade only exists between GL-03 and GL-10. Any pay grade outside of that range reverts to GS pay. The standard CBPO coming in as a GSL-05 would be GL eligible for only his first three years...as a GL-05, GL-07 and GL-09. After three years, he'd promote outside the GL scale.

                    Yeah, there's the difference between GS pay and GL pay overall...but truthfully, if money is a main consideration, it's far more important to pick the right port with the right overall earning potential than what the limited benefits of GL pay provides a person.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                      Highgate is noticeably larger than Massena. Neither is that big though. Medium sized trending towards small...more or less. Massena is a one bridge port ponied up to the Mohawk reservation. As far as current openings go it's not a horrible option but unless you're from the area you'll likely tire of it soon enough and find yourself looking for the opportunity to move on elsewhere.

                      Of course, none of the current northern border ports offered will be hiring anything close to the numbers that some of the southern border ports will be hiring at. The main hiring action will be in places such as San Ysidro, Laredo and like ports.

                      CBPO's aren't eligible for GS pay because the law that in 2008 made them eligible for 12D/6C retirement didn't define them as "LEOs" under the law but instead defined them separately as a class as eligible. There are both good and bad results to that approach. The lack of GL coverage being one of the bad.

                      Over the course of a career it's largely little more than an annoyance. The GL pay grade only exists between GL-03 and GL-10. Any pay grade outside of that range reverts to GS pay. The standard CBPO coming in as a GSL-05 would be GL eligible for only his first three years...as a GL-05, GL-07 and GL-09. After three years, he'd promote outside the GL scale.

                      Yeah, there's the difference between GS pay and GL pay overall...but truthfully, if money is a main consideration, it's far more important to pick the right port with the right overall earning potential than what the limited benefits of GL pay provides a person.
                      I figured any of the good northern areas are always filled up and never hire.

                      The reason I am not going for the mexican border is to avoid the requirement of learning spanish. Not trying to be lazy but I would rather not risk my job on failing spanish. If it wasn't for the spanish stuff I would go BP agent in a heartbeat. Maybe down the road I will teach myself spanish for awhile before applying for the southern border.

                      We shall see what happens. I am not in a rush to get hired so I can be patient on the process and everything. Working for the BOP isn't all that bad since I get plenty of OT here. But definitely want to stretch my legs and get into an agency that I can do some real work.

                      Most of those northern ports I see have like 100 people in the town that it is at. That is just insane, I don't see how anyone could move out there since there is nowhere to live. Wonder if they have government housing for officers moving out there.

                      Also I plan on moving a few times after getting hired anyways. Definitely plan on going to one of the foreign ports to work at since I am a single dude and loved travel while I was in the Marines. I noticed within the BOP they only way to promote is to move around.

                      Also thanks for the advice everyone. Nice to get some advice and not go in blind.
                      Last edited by fathitman; 08-27-2016, 12:28 AM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by fathitman View Post
                        I figured any of the good northern areas are always filled up and never hire.

                        The reason I am not going for the mexican border is to avoid the requirement of learning spanish. Not trying to be lazy but I would rather not risk my job on failing spanish. If it wasn't for the spanish stuff I would go BP agent in a heartbeat. Maybe down the road I will teach myself spanish for awhile before applying for the southern border.

                        We shall see what happens. I am not in a rush to get hired so I can be patient on the process and everything. Working for the BOP isn't all that bad since I get plenty of OT here. But definitely want to stretch my legs and get into an agency that I can do some real work.

                        Most of those northern ports I see have like 100 people in the town that it is at. That is just insane, I don't see how anyone could move out there since there is nowhere to live. Wonder if they have government housing for officers moving out there.

                        Also I plan on moving a few times after getting hired anyways. Definitely plan on going to one of the foreign ports to work at since I am a single dude and loved travel while I was in the Marines. I noticed within the BOP they only way to promote is to move around.

                        Also thanks for the advice everyone. Nice to get some advice and not go in blind.
                        Spanish is pretty much a participation event...in that you can pretty much expect to pass as long as you attend classes and complete the assignments and tasks required. It's not meant to give anyone anything beyond a limited fluency within a specific range of using the language on the job.
                        Assuming you feel comfortable with the notion of an academy in general and roughly 6 months spent in training before graduation, I wouldn't freak out over the notion that Spanish class is some sort of culling point designed to remove applicants. ..it's not.

                        There are some ports that do have government housing available. I'm not sure which, if any, of those ports being offered have housing as an option. In the days of yore it was more of an option but the agency has moved away from providing houses in many, if not most, of the ports that have previously offered it. Massena doesn't offer it. I don't recall if they ever did but if it was once an option it was years ago and part of port setup long abandoned to the past.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by fathitman View Post
                          So just got my results for my testing I got a 87 (97 with my 10 point preference added on) rating for the GL 5

                          Applied for Massena, NY. Since it seems to be the biggest port area hiring on the northern border.

                          My question is since I am a GL 7 Step 3 with my current agency. Do you thing I can get hired on as a 7 or at least get them to match my step even as a 5? I know some guys have done that when going into different agencies.

                          Anyways, Any advice about Massena?
                          The hiring center will either qualify you as a 5, or 7...and then within that grade match you closest to what you were. So, as a 5, you would probably get 5-10. (I also don't know what GL7 3 salary is). Either way, after a year on the job you can apply for "repromotion," and hopefully get back to where you were prior to CBP. I took a $20,000 paycut initially, and it sucks...but just know you will get back to where you were in a few years.

                          And what do you want to know about Massena? Its a 60 or so officer port. Pretty small town, however close to some big cities. Montreal, Ottawa, Burlington, Syracuse...all within a few hours or so. Good supervisors, great schedules.

                          I tried to PM you, but it doesn't look like it is enabled...so send me a PM if you want to know more. Good luck.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Bifsha4 View Post
                            I just had my SI last week and passed. What I can tell you is that it's not hard at all. There is I believe 6 scenario questions they ask you which are fairly straight forward. Keep calm and be honest with your answers but most of all be confident about your answer.

                            It took me about 45 min to an hour to do my SI along with finger prints too not sure your going to give fingerprints yet. It's different for everyone and the location they apply for.

                            There is no VBT anymore that is true.

                            Good luck man! You'll be fine.

                            Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
                            I am a 16-10 applicant but no S.I. email yet only my background ... should I call and question? Port is Highgate Springs.
                            CBPO Timeline
                            Test 2015 E-Qip 8/27/2016 Medical/PFT-1 9/12/2016 S.I 10/19/2016 Polygraph 10/26/2016

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Jeeper15 View Post
                              I am a 16-10 applicant but no S.I. email yet only my background ... should I call and question? Port is Highgate Springs.
                              Well first they're going to send you to do the physical and medical before they invite you for a SI. It always takes a while for the background check so be patient. They will email you soon.

                              Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

                              Comment


                              • Hello all,

                                Does anyone have any experience applying under a VRA posting? Have not been able to find much info on individuals going through the VRA process. It seems that my process is moving quickly, for now.

                                I applied under VRA 16-6 on 8/1 and took the external assessment on 8/4. I received my NOR on 8/15 followed by tentative selection on 8/24 along with the e-Qip letter the following day. I have already submitted the e-Qip and required forms since much of my information was already completed from previous investigations, I just had to update information. It seems the process is moving quickly but I expect it to slow down soon.

                                If anyone has gone through the VRA postings, I'd like to hear your experience.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 4793 users online. 208 members and 4585 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X