300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Borderbingo View Post
    Once you are in the SWB it hard to get out. Either you reaply or wait 6 + years for a transfer to go somewhere decent. That won't necessarily would be your home.
    That's not good.
    With honor and integrity, we will safeguard the American people, our homeland, and our values.

Comment

• Any one is going to EOD this month?
      With honor and integrity, we will safeguard the American people, our homeland, and our values.

Comment

• Originally posted by JULEP View Post
        For those who have reapplied, how long does it take for everything to transfer over? I withdrew last month and am waiting for the new postings so I can reapply. I am hoping that it will move quickly. Does it pick up where it left off? I had passed everything initially, and was pretty far into the process. Also, has anyone had success moving forward after reapplying?
        bump ^^

Comment

• Originally posted by Milou View Post
          I see. I thought if ur already a cbpo , u didn't have to apply for the position again in order to transfer to a new port? I guess a transfer request is not enough?
          It's easier to move currently than it was six years ago. It was easier to move six years ago than it was six years before that.

I would say that the agency is slowly moving towards having a decent and meaningful transfer/relocation options for many/most Officers. Still, there is a long way to go before Joe Average CBPO can just put in a transfer request and get to his port of choice. For many on either end of the hard-to-fill/hard-to-get port spectrum, we'll probably never get to where it's that easy to move.

Comment

• How long do you have to be at your current location before you can reaply or transfer somewhere else you'd like to go? ( considering there is an opening where you want to go of course)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
              It's easier to move currently than it was six years ago. It was easier to move six years ago than it was six years before that.

I would say that the agency is slowly moving towards having a decent and meaningful transfer/relocation options for many/most Officers. Still, there is a long way to go before Joe Average CBPO can just put in a transfer request and get to his port of choice. For many on either end of the hard-to-fill/hard-to-get port spectrum, we'll probably never get to where it's that easy to move.
              So is it safe to say that its harder for an existing cbpo to transfer to a port of his choice such as NY than a new applicant who just happened to apply for an openening in NY and eventually get it b4 a cbpo?

Comment

Once you are in the SWB it hard to get out. Either you reaply or wait 6 + years for a transfer to go somewhere decent. That won't necessarily would be your home.
                Hey borderbingo, if you choose to reapply, do you lose ur seniority, and grades ..... , do u have to go thru the steps again? And reapplying has more chances than transfer requests?

Comment

So is it safe to say that its harder for an existing cbpo to transfer to a port of his choice such as NY than a new applicant who just happened to apply for an openening in NY and eventually get it b4 a cbpo?
                  Maybe. It really would depend on the particulars.

By NY do you mean JFK? I'll assume so.

Let's say Joe CBPO wants JFK. He has a handful of potential opportunities for movement.

He could just ask for astraight reassignment from his current port to JFK...if he could get both of the ports and potentially both of the Field Offices involved to sign off on his move. Rarely does such a move happen. Most of the time, such a request would be denied for one reason or another.

He could catch a posted reassignment lateral into JFK...if JFK needed bodies sufficiently enough to trigger the threshold for laterals put in place by the agency. Occasionally, JFK does have reassignment laterals posted. A guy going this route would be looking to complete with everyone else in the agency who applied for the openings within JFK.

A swap with another Officer might also be an option. The biggest problem with a swap is that in order to arrange a swap, person one has to desire the location of person two....and vice versa. Lots of ports aren't all that desirable. If an Officer is in Jackman, ME...for example, he has to find someone in JFK willing to go to Maine. Often that sort of horse - trading is difficult to arrange for in many posts.

Often direct hiring back into a port from an open public announcement simply takes less effort to accomplish than to arrange for an internal solution. Sometimes it's the only practical way to move.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                    Maybe. It really would depend on the particulars.

By NY do you mean JFK? I'll assume so.

Let's say Joe CBPO wants JFK. He has a handful of potential opportunities for movement.

He could just ask for astraight reassignment from his current port to JFK...if he could get both of the ports and potentially both of the Field Offices involved to sign off on his move. Rarely does such a move happen. Most of the time, such a request would be denied for one reason or another.

He could catch a posted reassignment lateral into JFK...if JFK needed bodies sufficiently enough to trigger the threshold for laterals put in place by the agency. Occasionally, JFK does have reassignment laterals posted. A guy going this route would be looking to complete with everyone else in the agency who applied for the openings within JFK.

A swap with another Officer might also be an option. The biggest problem with a swap is that in order to arrange a swap, person one has to desire the location of person two....and vice versa. Lots of ports aren't all that desirable. If an Officer is in Jackman, ME...for example, he has to find someone in JFK willing to go to Maine. Often that sort of horse - trading is difficult to arrange for in many posts.

Often direct hiring back into a port from an open public announcement simply takes less effort to accomplish than to arrange for an internal solution. Sometimes it's the only practical way to move.
                    Wow, but as a cbpo when u reapply for a new public announcement in a port of your choice, now i understand that u have to compete w the new applicants but do you lose ur benifits bc of that such as grades and seniority simply bc u chose to start again ? And could they still block you from transferring even if uour a reapply based on the need of your existing port?

Comment

Wow, but as a cbpo when u reapply for a new public announcement in a port of your choice, now i understand that u have to compete w the new applicants but do you lose ur benifits bc of that such as grades and seniority simply bc u chose to start again ? And could they still block you from transferring even if uour a reapply based on the need of your existing port?
                      A person would likely drop back to a GS 07 or GS 09...depending on what grades an announcement offered new hires. There are potentially ways internally to apply for early grade restoration...if management is willing to play along.

Depending on the particulars a person might lose seniority, especially as it relates to port specific seniority...such as shift and vacation bidding. In many ports though seniority has little meaning, especially for those in the middle to bottom of the pack.

With some methods of movement, a port and/or Field Office can absolutely block or hamper/delay releasing a person at the local level for reassignment. However they don't usually have that sort of sway with the MHC in blocking new applicants from current CBPOs. In the past though, they have done just that. It's possible that if higher management takes a strong enough disliking to the rehire option that CBP would move to squash it, using any and all legitimate means to cull out current officers from continuing on in the process of a reapply application. As I said, they have done it previously.

Comment

• I am a 16-10 applicant, took the test on July 9th, NOR on the 22 (97 with no vet points), and this morning I got a text message welcoming me to the MHC text messaging system, but still no other email. Has anyone had anything similar happen to them?

Comment

• Originally posted by ky19lw View Post
                          I am a 16-10 applicant, took the test on July 9th, NOR on the 22 (97 with no vet points), and this morning I got a text message welcoming me to the MHC text messaging system, but still no other email. Has anyone had anything similar happen to them?
                          That's normal. Eventually you will receive info to start the process

Comment

• Awesome, thanks for the insight!

Comment

• Has anyone gotten a call for Miami today?

Comment

Has anyone gotten a call for Miami today?
                                I dont think so but some1 called mhc and was told miami stopped hiring but when i called 2 day ago i was told miami just started hiring??!!! Playing games, go figure

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9796 users online. 469 members and 9327 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X