300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Post!
    Last edited by yoda; 11-18-2008, 03:24 AM. Reason: Double post!
    CBPO
    Written: 08/29/2007
    EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• "Originally Posted by txn80
      I'm new to the forum, but I've read almost the entire "CBP Officer" thread.

I took the CBP exam in March 2008 and scored a 97 (no veteran's points).

I finally got an offer for employment as a CBP Officer 2 weeks ago, I begin pre-academy training at my port on December 1st, and I start at Glynco on December 30th, and complete the academy on April 14th. I am going in as a GS7....I have both a Bachelor's and Master's degree ( I was previously a teacher in the public school system).
      I resigned from teaching at the end of the school year in May 2008. I had applied with the police dept. months before (I applied with the poilce dept and with CBP at roughly the same time) and got hired in August with the poilce dept. The police academy I am currently in is a 19 week program, currently I am in week 16 of the academy but will have to resign before I graduate due to the start date with CBP on Dec 1st. The only temporary downfall I see in the move is the paycut I'll be taking going from a police officer ($44,000) to a GS7 ($36, 800), but am hoping that in the long run the move will pay off."

Bad break over not being able to finish the PD academy.

Here are some of the questions I currently have about FLETC:

1. I'm debating whether or not to take my car, my biggest concern with this is the flooding that I've read about at the Taj....what are the chances that flooding occurs between Dec and April?"

Take your car. You'll want it with you. The only flooding I've ever heard of at FLETC was hurricane driven. If you happen to encounter flooding while there, move the vehicle to higher ground.

2. I have Sprint as a cell provider, how is Sprint service at Glynco (i.e. will my cell be on roam while I'm there?)?

Can't help you here.

3. When the Minneapolis Hiring center contacted me to offer the position, the lady I spoke with said that my background was complete. I've read on here that some people are still "pulled out" of class to clear up issues with their background which isn't complete. So how do you know if your background is in fact COMPLETE once you're at FLETC?

If MHC is telling you your background is complete, it's most likely complete. I'd take their word for it.

4. According to recent posts it seems that everyone is getting a roommate...is this truly the case, or are some students still rooming alone?

I don't believe that there's 100% double occupancy yet in the Taj. Even if there is, many of the other dorms are too small to have double occupancy. You might end up sharing a bathroom, but not the bedroom.

5. What banks are in the immediate area (I bank with Bank of America)?

Sorry, no help again.

6. Can you access personal email and bank accounts online in the computer labs? Or, is doing so only permitted on personal laptops?

Yes, I accessed my personal email and banking accounts from the computer lab many times.

7. Once I'm done at FLETC and return to my port after April 14th, how soon after will I most likely be able to put in overtime?

That depends. Many ports have post-academy/OJT training. During that time you chances of working OT are most likely slim. P-A/OJT usually runs somewhere between 30-90 days. You'll probably be eligible for Sun./eve./night diff. from the first day back...or close to it.

OT...many ports don't see a lot of OT. If you're heading to a PoE in Texas, you'll most likely see a good amount. If you're going elsewhere, you may be heading into somewhere suffering from OT drought.

Comment

• BTW Txn80, a big thumbs-up for reading/searching the thread before posting.

Comment

• port

Txn80,

What port locations did they offer you?

Comment

• Hey guys, thanks for all the reponses, very helpful!

yoda: In reference to the background investigator, I did meet with him about 2 months ago. We met at my house for about 2 hours and basically went through a bunch of standardized paperwork. In the immediate following days neighbors, friends, co-workers, and ex-bosses all notified me that he had contacted them with questions about me....so I'm hoping it's all complete.

wmcgalrd:

I was offered Laredo, Texas, which was what I was hoping for being that I'm orginally from there and all my family lives there. How would I be able to find out if there is locality pay at this port? Should the lady that called me from the Minn. hiring Center mentioned this when she offered me the position?

I'll keep you guys posted on all the developments.

Comment

• Originally posted by txn80 View Post
              Hey guys, thanks for all the reponses, very helpful!

yoda: In reference to the background investigator, I did meet with him about 2 months ago. We met at my house for about 2 hours and basically went through a bunch of standardized paperwork. In the immediate following days neighbors, friends, co-workers, and ex-bosses all notified me that he had contacted them with questions about me....so I'm hoping it's all complete.

wmcgalrd:

I was offered Laredo, Texas, which was what I was hoping for being that I'm orginally from there and all my family lives there. How would I be able to find out if there is locality pay at this port? Should the lady that called me from the Minn. hiring Center mentioned this when she offered me the position?

I'll keep you guys posted on all the developments.
              http://www.opm.gov/oca/08tables/indexGS.asp

Look around there to see if you're in one of the designated areas. If not, you get the 'all other' locality, which I believe is something like 11 or 13 percent.

Question: how long were you waiting after your application was done and you were in TSU?
              Last edited by sap123; 11-18-2008, 02:22 PM.
              "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

I'm new to the forum, but I've read almost the entire "CBP Officer" thread.

I took the CBP exam in March 2008 and scored a 97 (no veteran's points).

I finally got an offer for employment as a CBP Officer 2 weeks ago, I begin pre-academy training at my port on December 1st, and I start at Glynco on December 30th, and complete the academy on April 14th. I am going in as a GS7....I have both a Bachelor's and Master's degree ( I was previously a teacher in the public school system).
                I resigned from teaching at the end of the school year in May 2008. I had applied with the police dept. months before (I applied with the poilce dept and with CBP at roughly the same time) and got hired in August with the poilce dept. The police academy I am currently in is a 19 week program, currently I am in week 16 of the academy but will have to resign before I graduate due to the start date with CBP on Dec 1st. The only temporary downfall I see in the move is the paycut I'll be taking going from a police officer ($44,000) to a GS7 ($36, 800), but am hoping that in the long run the move will pay off.

Here are some of the questions I currently have about FLETC:

1. I'm debating whether or not to take my car, my biggest concern with this is the flooding that I've read about at the Taj....what are the chances that flooding occurs between Dec and April?

2. I have Sprint as a cell provider, how is Sprint service at Glynco (i.e. will my cell be on roam while I'm there?)?

3. When the Minneapolis Hiring center contacted me to offer the position, the lady I spoke with said that my background was complete. I've read on here that some people are still "pulled out" of class to clear up issues with their background which isn't complete. So how do you know if your background is in fact COMPLETE once you're at FLETC?

4. According to recent posts it seems that everyone is getting a roommate...is this truly the case, or are some students still rooming alone?

5. What banks are in the immediate area (I bank with Bank of America)?

6. Can you access personal email and bank accounts online in the computer labs? Or, is doing so only permitted on personal laptops?

7. Once I'm done at FLETC and return to my port after April 14th, how soon after will I most likely be able to put in overtime?

Any help and input would be greatly appreciated, I posted questions that I was unable to find definite answers for utilizing the SEARCH function.

Thanks.
                from what I have read, you are getting a roommate at TAJ, if you have already went to the interview and waiting process to the BI to clear I guess you are free to go.. In my port (the one I want to work in) officers are working around 12hrs and sometimes 16hrs a day. (newbies) 15 min before your shift end they call you and make you stay 2,4 or 6hrs more.. .
                TESTED: 3/21 EL CENTRO,CA
                NOR: 4/21 - 92 (N/V) GS7
                QUALIFICATIONS: COMPLETED (8/15)
                GEO PREFERENCE: ANDRADE AZ/ CALEXICO CA
                PRE-EMPLOYMENT FORMS:COMPLETED (5/29)
                MEDICAL: COMPLETED(7/17)
                FITNESS: COMPLETED(7/24)
                VBT: (CALEXICO, CA) COMPLETED (7/22)
                DRUG TEST: COMPLETED (7/25)
                BI: CASE IS IN THE SECURITY OFFICE (met with the investigator (9/15) case sent to adjudicator(10/7)

Comment

• sap123:

I took the exam in March.

I completed my application packet around mid-April.

I was scheduled for the medical and fitness exam in mid-May.

After that I took the VBT on Aug 4 and received my results for it on Aug 20th.

My background investigator contacted me in late September.

I got offered the position on Nov. 7.

I didn't keep exact dates on all of the steps (wish I had now), but the above timeline is pretty accurate on the entire process.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Comment

if you are in the new dorms...taig you will have to sit on the air conditioner next to the window in your room like all other sprint/nextel providers there. Anywhere else on the campus and your spinrt/nextel will work just fine.

When you check in to your room there will be a sheet of paper that has the number for your family to call to reach you on the land line...use it...its much easier
                    Better to die than live a coward.

"An unarmed man is a subject, an armed man is a citizen" Thomas Paine

Comment

• Originally posted by MSUgirL View Post
                      Hmmm..interesting robeans...well since I will be leaving from work and have to return to work....i will remain in uniform....I will let you know the outcome....

and funny you say that...cause the people on here who fail did not take the vbt in uniform....
                      OMG.....why in the world would you want to go in uniform? Burn some AL and go BEFORE work or wear your class 3 pants and change your shirt! Duh!!!!!!! You must love to wear your uniform in public. IF you become a CBPO, are you going to parade around town in it???????

Comment

• Cass

Hey has anyone's CASS been updating lately? Mine seems to have stopped updating but the phone hot-line is updating.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                          Wow.

I'm amazed that you actually got CBP management approval to to do the VBT on Uncle Sugar's dime and a G-ride.

That sort of begs the question though...

Since you were in touch with management in order to get the OK to test on G-time and drive the G-ride, why not ask them what they thought about your testing in your class 5's? Why ask me?
                          Odd....I would think you would know that if you apply for another position within CBP, they allow you admin time and a gov't vehicle to do it. I took the written, medical, physical, and now vbt, and will be completing my upgraded BI tomorrow all on CBP time and provided the gov't vehicle. I only asked you cause someone said that they trust your opinion on here since you are a CBP officer...But I won't ask for your advice anymore. But at least you know now if you apply for another position what your entitled to now from me

Comment

• Originally posted by MSUgirL View Post
                            Odd....I would think you would know that if you apply for another position within CBP, they allow you admin time and a gov't vehicle to do it. I took the written, medical, physical, and now vbt, and will be completing my upgraded BI tomorrow all on CBP time and provided the gov't vehicle. I only asked you cause someone said that they trust your opinion on here since you are a CBP officer...But I won't ask for your advice anymore. But at least you know now if you apply for another position what your entitled to now from me
                            Then why did you ask in the first place? This horse is beat to death, but really, why ask if you're so confidant about the answer? Or why not mention this in the first place? You would have likely gotten different responses.
                            ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
                            Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
                            March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
                            July 09 Oral Board
                            Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
                            Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

• I start Pre Academy Dec. 22, and FLETC on Jan 14, Is there any one going to FLETC at the same time? And do they make us new comers work on Christmas Day?
                              CBPO - Miami
                              Pre-Employment Forms - completed
                              Qualifications - GS 5
                              Medical Exam - completed
                              Structured Interview - Completed
                              Drug Screening - completed
                              Background Investigation - Completed
                              Fitness - completed

Comment

• Originally posted by FIU24 View Post
                                I start Pre Academy Dec. 22, and FLETC on Jan 14, Is there any one going to FLETC at the same time? And do they make us new comers work on Christmas Day?
                                Unfortunately no. Wish i would be down there. Thats strange that they would start you at pre-academy a couple days before Christmas, but consider yourself lucky. And you will not work on any holidays in pre-academy as you cannot get paid o.t.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7481 users online. 342 members and 7139 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X