300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NavyMa2 View Post
    Congratulations to all who passed I recently applied to the VRA announcement.....this will be my 3rd time taking the entrance exam I don't know if I just get nervous taking it or I just really have the jitters I hope I get it this time around...I have been going over the CBP study Guide and was wondering if anyone has any tips or any other study guides.....Thank you and good luck to all
    Try taking the CBP pre test exam:

https://usahire.opm.gov/assess/pretest/landing

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Lethal View Post
      You have to get at least a 70 on the entrance exam. As long as you meet that requirement you'll eventually be selected but the lower your score the longer it might take like you said.

In today's environment where new hiring announcements are opening every month like clockwork, I sort of doubt that those in the lowest grades will be selected. I'm betting that those between 70 and whatever the actual cutoff might be will just find themselves in limbo at the bottom of the hiring pool forever...or until they modify the test, cancel all previous scores, boot out any remaining applicant not chosen for a conditional offer of employment and start the pool anew.

Every new announcement will just add additional higher-scoring people who will slot in higher than those waiting...and so the lower ranked people will sit...and sit, every month being passed by newly tested people who have scored higher.

Otherwise, maybe scraping the bottom of the applicant barrel might happen in select ports, especially those ports not covered under the recent and near-future announcements. If the agency decides to have another major growth spurt and hire thousands of additional new people, that probably will mean offers for virtually everyone as well.

Comment

• FWIW I scored an 80 and was referred to San Ysidro

Comment

• I say 80 and above will get you a Tentative selection letter.
          With honor and integrity, we will safeguard the American people, our homeland, and our values.

Comment

• Originally posted by zFinest View Post
            I say 80 and above will get you a Tentative selection letter.
            I scored a 72, received a Tentative selection letter, got hired, graduated the academy and now working at jfk....we had a wide variety of scores in my academy class ranging from 70s to 90s.
            Any one with a 70 has the same opportunity and chance as one that scores a perfect 100..the idea is to pass the hiring process and graduate the academy. The same goes with some one with a high school diploma and one with 2 masters...all comes down to is passing the hiring/background process and then the academy.
            Last edited by Robert_212; 02-27-2016, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• That's good to hear!... If I got on JFK would be the spot I'd want to be at.... What's a typical day for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert_212 View Post
                I scored a 72, received a Tentative selection letter, got hired, graduated the academy and now working at jfk....we had a wide variety of scores in my academy class ranging from 70s to 90s.
                Any one with a 70 has the same opportunity and chance as one that scores a perfect 100..the idea is to pass the hiring process and graduate the academy. The same goes with some one with a high school diploma and one with 2 masters...all comes down to is passing the hiring/background process and then the academy.

If you dint mind me asking did you go in as.a gs 5 or 7? And what were you looking at pay wise in the academy with the locality pay? And after coming out of the academy?

You can pm me if you dint want to post.

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert_212 View Post

Well...you're talking of JFK. JFK is the larger port, by far, of the 329ish CBP ports. JFK and the other largest ports tend to write their own rules when in comparison to the other 90% of CBP's ports.

A test score of 100% is pretty much an automatic conditional offer anywhere. Securing a tentative offer with a score of 70%... that's an entirely different beast. Good luck to the guy looking for Baltimore or Denver who scores a 70. I'll bet he never sees a TO.

Comment

• Also how long is the entire process more or less... Obviously getting canvassed is dependent on your score but how long does it take to receive your score and once you do, how long does it take to complete the process and get called.

Comment

• Some people get expedited, some people have a more rigorous process.

I took my test in November, the following May I was doing pre-academy.

My advice is put everything on the table. Hide nothing. Be yourself, if they want you, they'll take you. If they think you're hiding something, they'll find out or you'll go through the process so many on here have.. with multiple poly's and whatnot.

Start the process, take the tests, be honest and see where it leads.

Comment

• Ok thanks. Yea I'm an opened book when it comes to this stuff. I pride myself on my integrity and am upfront with investigators. Honestly though it's a bit strange how my interest for CBP and Federal Law enforcement just started to appeal to me. My original plan was the NYPD which I've just started the process for.

Comment

• For those of you who have applied and submitted there Resume. Did u go by what the recommend and include your salary for each job?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rush1869 View Post
                            For those of you who have applied and submitted there Resume. Did u go by what the recommend and include your salary for each job?

The resume is done on usajobs and then transferred over once you do the questionnaire. On usajobs you'll have to include how much you made, either by salary or hourly.

Comment

• I uploaded my resume and completed the questionnaire. I didn't include my salaries on the resume I uploaded... I can always edit it I believe.

Comment

• Hopefully they'll be more openings in NY...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6709 users online. 310 members and 6399 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X