Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That is correct SAP123. And thanks for the advice Yoda it makes complete sense. I'm going to stay with my GS-5 qualification, and hope that I get called sooner. I have completed all of my pre-employment steps. I am now just waiting for my background which is already completed, to be cleared.

Comment

• Originally posted by sap123 View Post
      There are a few ways to qualify for the 7 under SAA.

1. maintain a 3.0 GPA over 4 years (assuming you took under 10% of your acquired units as pass/fail) OR maintain a 3.0 GPA over the last two years of attending university.

2. maintain a 3.5 GPA specifically with the major specialization courses that you took. This can also be applied to just the past two years of school as well.

3. Rank in the upper third (33.3%) in your graduating class.

4. Hold membership in an honors society that CBP approves of.

Information was taken from the document located here:
      http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/a...ing_education/
      Ah, great info. Makes it easier for many I am sure.

Comment

• I do not have a college degree and I was not in the military. I was hired as a gs-7.
        This whole gs7 thing, despite what the website says, is a myth. I have seen secretaries with no college qualify as gs-7. At your own risk, you just have to check the "I will only accept a gs7" box and if they are enough openings then you MIGHT get it.
        Again, you would have to do that at your own risk in case in prevents you from getting hired at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmouredSainT View Post
          I do not have a college degree and I was not in the military. I was hired as a gs-7.
          This whole gs7 thing, despite what the website says, is a myth. I have seen secretaries with no college qualify as gs-7. At your own risk, you just have to check the "I will only accept a gs7" box and if they are enough openings then you MIGHT get it.

This appears to be common. Last summer I saw a retired navy E7 who came in as a GS-5. In the same class was a former E5 cook and an E4 Devil-Dog both got GS-7. The very next month a retired Master Chief with a master's degree started collecting GS-5 pay from CBP.

The "7" only box is a crap-shoot. No way to tell when (IF) the number is going to come up.
          ========================================

sigpic

I feel the need - the need for speed.

Maverick and Goose, TOPGUN

Comment

• Hello all, First time posting here. I took my test on 7/31/08 and received an 85 but I'm pretty sure that I chose the wrong GEO which was Minneapolis Metro. After a few phone calls, I came to find out that they were only hiring three guys/gals for the station. I'm sure my 85 didn't make it. So, I just changed my GEO to North Dakota. Does anyone know if North Dakota is a critical needs state?? Of all the choices currently out there where is the best shot at getting in with an 85. Thanks for the time..

Comment

• Originally posted by Ry greve View Post
              Wow, how do you supose they came across that?
              When this happen roughly 10 years ago... my family member go a letter from 'U.S. Customs' stating (more or less) that its illegal and don't do it anymore. The IA officer said they found it when they ran my home address through their internal system... if I was applying with any other agency they probably would not have found it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jkoves View Post
                Hello all, First time posting here. I took my test on 7/31/08 and received an 85 but I'm pretty sure that I chose the wrong GEO which was Minneapolis Metro. After a few phone calls, I came to find out that they were only hiring three guys/gals for the station. I'm sure my 85 didn't make it. So, I just changed my GEO to North Dakota. Does anyone know if North Dakota is a critical needs state?? Of all the choices currently out there where is the best shot at getting in with an 85. Thanks for the time..
                ND is a 'critical needs' state, however 'critical needs' has little to do with any practical considerations as far as new hiring goes.

As far as the 'best shot'...who knows? ND, MT, ME, AK all usually need people.
                So do a lot of other places. ND likely will pick down to 85. So will a lot of other places.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                  ND is a 'critical needs' state, however 'critical needs' has little to do with any practical considerations as far as new hiring goes.

As far as the 'best shot'...who knows? ND, MT, ME, AK all usually need people.
                  So do a lot of other places. ND likely will pick down to 85. So will a lot of other places.
                  Thanks Merlin, I appreciate the information. Do you know if the ND area is a good station?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jkoves View Post
                    Thanks Merlin, I appreciate the information. Do you know if the ND area is a good station?
                    Station??? They're ports, unless you've applied to Border Patrol.

You're looking at small, slow and mostly uninteresting, with the possible exceptions of Pembina and Portal. Even Pembina and Portal aren't all that important on a national scale.

Comment

• Does anyone have any experience with resume writing services. Can anyone recommend one, how much do they charge, is it worth it? I had an application rejected by another agency even though I meet all the requirements and the nice lady on the phone basically told me that it was because my resume wasn't written correctly.

Comment

• Hello all!! got a quick question to ask. I was arrested twice when i was 17 and the charges where violations and since have been dismised and sealed.No fines no community service, nada. Does anyone think that this will hurt my chances for employment with CBPO or are they looking to deny employment for more serious offenses. Any comments would help. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by ENSNIPE507 View Post
                          Hello all!! got a quick question to ask. I was arrested twice when i was 17 and the charges where violations and since have been dismised and sealed.No fines no community service, nada. Does anyone think that this will hurt my chances for employment with CBPO or are they looking to deny employment for more serious offenses. Any comments would help. Thanks.
                          It depends.

How old are you now?

What have you done with your life since then?

Comment

• Originally posted by ENSNIPE507 View Post
                            Hello all!! got a quick question to ask. I was arrested twice when i was 17 and the charges where violations and since have been dismised and sealed.No fines no community service, nada. Does anyone think that this will hurt my chances for employment with CBPO or are they looking to deny employment for more serious offenses. Any comments would help. Thanks.
                            It depends on a lot of things. But the actual charges, since they were dismissed, meaning not found not guilty or guilty, should not effect you. The circumstances surrounding the charges could effect you depending on what they are.
                            But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Iam 27 now and have been in the Navy since 1999 (going on ten years) never been in trouble since 1998. And yes they were dismissed and sealed on the spot. Tresspassing, Driving without a license.

Comment

• I just met my investigator this past Friday, and I am still working with him on my BI. But I checked the CASS today and it says my BI is completed. Does this mean I was granted interim clearance?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11609 users online. 417 members and 11192 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X