300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sap123 View Post
    Where are you in terms of hiring timeline? If you're graduating next month with some time to spare, you might not have to worry about it. You can also defer your employment while finishing your degree. My bottom line is this: if you can make GS7, make it. If it means finishing your degree before you EOD? It's worth it.
    You guys need to keep in mind that as GS-7 you will have to wait for a GS-7 spot to open at your port. I'd rather take GS-5 as quickly as possible...besides, by the time you get back from the academy, you might only have 6 more months to go to get 7...
    CBPO
    Written: 08/29/2007
    EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
      You guys need to keep in mind that as GS-7 you will have to wait for a GS-7 spot to open at your port. I'd rather take GS-5 as quickly as possible...besides, by the time you get back from the academy, you might only have 6 more months to go to get 7...
      Couldnt have said it any better. Just told someone the same thing the other day.

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
        I don't disagree with this (it's sound advice), but I was just trying to point out that if it was between finishing education and taking this job? Finishing education would always win. Still, it seems like it won't be a problem if he's graduating next month, so no worries I suppose.
        "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• former cbpo's?

I was wondering if anyone other than myself is a former cbpo who resigned and is now reapplying? The reason i ask is i was wondering what the odds are of getting the same port again? Is this just a funding thing or would they be more likely to stick you somewhere else or put you in the same place?

Comment

I don't disagree with this (it's sound advice), but I was just trying to point out that if it was between finishing education and taking this job? Finishing education would always win. Still, it seems like it won't be a problem if he's graduating next month, so no worries I suppose.
            Did you take your vbt yet or are you just waiting for the results?

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
              Did you take your vbt yet or are you just waiting for the results?
              Take it on Thursday. I just finalized crashing at my friend's place the night before in SF. It really can't come faster; my lady friend keeps counting down the days for me.

Another factor is that my BPA app was sent to TSU on Tuesday. We'll see how it all pans out I guess.

Comment

Take it on Thursday. I just finalized crashing at my friend's place the night before in SF. It really can't come faster; my lady friend keeps counting down the days for me.

Another factor is that my BPA app was sent to TSU on Tuesday. We'll see how it all pans out I guess.
                What would you rather do, bpa or cbpo? Thats so strange that your vbt would be your last step. I always thought it said that you must complete the vbt before continuing on thru the process? Who knows...
                Good luck on your vbt.

Comment

What would you rather do, bpa or cbpo? Thats so strange that your vbt would be your last step. I always thought it said that you must complete the vbt before continuing on thru the process? Who knows...
                  Good luck on your vbt.
                  Well I applied for BPA in March, and I applied for CBPO in July. So by the time I got a TO for CBPO after testing, my BI, medical and drug test already carried over. So the things to do from TO to TSU for CBPO was to send in my pre-employment forms, take the fit test and then do the VBT.

From the start I wanted to go the CBPO route but missed their vacancy. So I applied for the BPA job instead. I signed up for the CBPO test under the July announcement just to do it; I didn't really think I was going to take it very far cause I was so far along with the BPA application. Then I injured myself, which put me back a few months, but pretty much evened up the timelines (as you can see, I only have one more thing for CBPO to do and now BPA is all finished). I've waited this long, and I think I will go with CBPO. Nothing is really for sure though; I'll see what USBP brings to the table location wise before setting anything in stone.
                  Last edited by sap123; 11-07-2008, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Well I applied for BPA in March, and I applied for CBPO in July. So by the time I got a TO for CBPO after testing, my BI, medical and drug test already carried over. So the things to do from TO to TSU for CBPO was to send in my pre-employment forms, take the fit test and then do the VBT.

From the start I wanted to go the CBPO route but missed their vacancy. So I applied for the BPA job instead. I signed up for the CBPO test under the July announcement just to do it; I didn't really think I was going to take it very far cause I was so far along with the BPA application. Then I injured myself, which put me back a few months, but pretty much evened up the timelines (as you can see, I only have one more thing for CBPO to do and now BPA is all finished). I've waited this long, and I think I will go with CBPO. Nothing is really for sure though; I'll see what USBP brings to the table location wise before setting anything in stone.
                    At least you have options, you can never have too many coals on the fire. i think BPA would be the much more exciting career, but i dont have the option since i dont want to relocate right now and there are never any openings for northern border bpa's. But i think any career in dhs is very rewarding and important so i'll take what i can and look to the future later on down the road.

Comment

At least you have options, you can never have too many coals on the fire. i think BPA would be the much more exciting career, but i dont have the option since i dont want to relocate right now and there are never any openings for northern border bpa's. But i think any career in dhs is very rewarding and important so i'll take what i can and look to the future later on down the road.
                      Agreed. I feel good to have a choice, at least. Check your PMs by the way.

Comment

• So its my last day at TSA as a TSO and over the weekend I transform into a CBPO for CBP MIA =P
                        Geo Pref: Miami
                        Score: 92
                        Grade Level: 5
                        EOD: 11/10/2008
                        Fletc: 12/02/2008 - 03-20-2008

Comment

• Anyone in class 919 from Michigan?? Heading to FLETC December 19th!!

Comment

• I havent read this post in a couple of days. I taken my vbt on the 3 of nov.
                            Ps for everyone yet to take it read carefully the last few pages they will help you; i know they would have help me. It's VBT so get comfortable talking to yourself. I think everybody leaves there there thinking **** i should of said that instead.

I also meet a current YUMA BP officer taking the CBPO in san diego, apparently he got fed up with far Yum sector. Main reason i didn't apply for BP I could end up stuck at some checkpoint near blythe aka middle of nowhere or something; Way worse than Yuma, el centro, calexico land port imo. He was hoping to get the a Miami CBPO position. Best of luck man.

I also meet with my bi, cool guy took me an hour total he was also surprised how fast it went. Just have all you Doc read when you meet yours. Also for new guys filling in your sf86 don't add additional people under you three references. They will just get thrown out. My mistake now i have to find an 2 additional references.

Comment

• Originally posted by grullj View Post
                              I was told that in order to qualify as a GS - 7 under the Superior Academic Achievement, you have to already be graduated with a 3.0 minimum GPA. But I thought I saw in the application, that it said that as long as you were graduating within 9 months from the date of your tentative selection, you are eligible for the GS-7 position.

I received my tentative selection in May, I have a 3.2 GPA and I graduate in December which makes it only 7 months. Does anyone know if this would qualify me as a GS-7 right now. Or do I have to wait until I have actually graduated.
                              Not to break your heart but no it does not. You need at least a 3.5 GPA with a comnpleted 4 year degree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ry greve View Post
                                Not to break your heart but no it does not. You need at least a 3.5 GPA with a comnpleted 4 year degree.
                                Not to break your heart, but your information is wrong.

There are a few ways to qualify for the 7 under SAA.

1. maintain a 3.0 GPA over 4 years (assuming you took under 10% of your acquired units as pass/fail) OR maintain a 3.0 GPA over the last two years of attending university.

2. maintain a 3.5 GPA specifically with the major specialization courses that you took. This can also be applied to just the past two years of school as well.

3. Rank in the upper third (33.3%) in your graduating class.

4. Hold membership in an honors society that CBP approves of.

Information was taken from the document located here:
                                http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/a...ing_education/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8234 users online. 225 members and 8009 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X