300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stantobiwan View Post
    First I just want to apologize if this has been asked and answered. I have been browsing the thread and haven't found a specific answer to my question so here it is.

I know the basic differences between a CBP position and that of a local police officer. I am more attracted to government work however I am concerned with where my career as a CBP officer may lead...or not lead. To anyone in the know, what positions can I move into within CBP after I put in some time? I have no specifics in mind although I wouldn't mind being a dog handler at some point. I guess I am just concerned that I would be stuck in a booth for 25 years. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Welcome to the Forum...
    There are lots of options depending on what port you pick (Land Border Crossing, Sea Port, Air Port) All these ports have their unique requirements as to the JOB. Depending on how you qualify (GS-5, or GS-7) you will have to wait until you make GS-11 to get k-9 or any other "special" position, as well as applying for Supervisory positions (GS-12 and above) which are competitive. CBPO's are now covered under 12-D for retirement purposes, so requirements are stricter (age and physical) with a mandatory retirement age at 57.
    If you're looking into Law Enforcement with being on Patrol, Chasing people, making lots of arrests (basically looking for action), then Local PD would be your thing.
    Or you can try BPA as well, if you don't mind living in the middle of nowhere chasing illegals
    In any case a little research on the website wouldn't hurt... www.cbp.gov

Good Luck to you
    CBPO
    Written: 08/29/2007
    EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
      Welcome to the Forum...
      There are lots of options depending on what port you pick (Land Border Crossing, Sea Port, Air Port) All these ports have their unique requirements as to the JOB. Depending on how you qualify (GS-5, or GS-7) you will have to wait until you make GS-11 to get k-9 or any other "special" position, as well as applying for Supervisory positions (GS-12 and above) which are competitive. CBPO's are now covered under 12-D for retirement purposes, so requirements are stricter (age and physical) with a mandatory retirement age at 57.
      If you're looking into Law Enforcement with being on Patrol, Chasing people, making lots of arrests (basically looking for action), then Local PD would be your thing.
      Or you can try BPA as well, if you don't mind living in the middle of nowhere chasing illegals
      In any case a little research on the website wouldn't hurt... www.cbp.gov

Good Luck to you

Hey, Im just curious if you declined a t.o. or a job offer?

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
        Hey, Im just curious if you declined a t.o. or a job offer?
        I'd be crazy if I declined a Job Offer It was just the TO, it is part of the re-applying for a new Geo location process...
        CBPO

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
          I'd be crazy if I declined a Job Offer It was just the TO, it is part of the re-applying for a new Geo location process...
          Gotcha, yeah i was just wondering because i didnt know you changed geo's. How come?

Comment

• Originally posted by audi0xpl0de View Post
            Have all of those things cleared in CASS? I only have the drug test left to complete as well. My qualifications (gs-7 based on education), medical, bi, and structured interview still say pending.
            I haven't called the hotline or anything, but online it says my background and pre-quals are completed. Everything else is pending. I graduate in December from college so I imagine that won't get cleared until then?

Comment

• Yeah, I imagine that's the case. They have my transcripts and records that indicate I completed my master's so I'm not sure why it takes so long for my qualifications to clear. I guess it's just waiting for someone to process the paperwork.

Comment

Gotcha, yeah i was just wondering because i didnt know you changed geo's. How come?
                When I applied for the opening back in 07' it was either LA, or places I would never move to. Since I lived in California, I said LA, but I would've taken Florida if they had it as an option. Florida is Home to me, I came to Cali following a dream that will never come to fruition, so I rather be back where I actually like it , and closer to my Family as well. I didn't do the Geo change previously because I REALLY NEED THE JOB (then and NOW) and didn't want to delay the process, but after all this time of waiting... what the heck... My concern is a moot point by now

BTW
                any salary advantages because it was LA are negligible as well since LA is so darn expensive...
                Last edited by yoda; 11-05-2008, 04:59 PM.
                CBPO

Comment

• Originally posted by MilwaukeeBucks View Post
                  I haven't called the hotline or anything, but online it says my background and pre-quals are completed. Everything else is pending. I graduate in December from college so I imagine that won't get cleared until then?
                  Nah, i dont think that would be the case. If anything the college thing would hold up quals and bi if anything. If anyone actually knew the exact way the ran this process they could sell it!

Comment

Nah, i dont think that would be the case. If anything the college thing would hold up quals and bi if anything. If anyone actually knew the exact way the ran this process they could sell it!
                    Yeah, but I've already sent in my transcripts and stuff so I'm not sure how long that would hold stuff up. I'm more confused about having my background cleared, even though I never met with a BI or anything.

But I'm not complaining

Also, whoever asked before what my geo pref was it's Washington-Norther Border

Comment

• Originally posted by MilwaukeeBucks View Post
                      Yeah, but I've already sent in my transcripts and stuff so I'm not sure how long that would hold stuff up. I'm more confused about having my background cleared, even though I never met with a BI or anything.

But I'm not complaining

Also, whoever asked before what my geo pref was it's Washington-Norther Border
                      Just a word of caution, not saying you'll have a problem, but "background completed" means just that. It doesnt mean adjudicated, cleared, good, bad, or ugly. It means they've collected all the info they can get on you so far and nothing of interest has come up. Honestly you dont even know if you have an interim clearance until you are in the scheduling unit. You WILL be contacted eventually. A girl in my FLETC class had never met her BI and actually got called for an interview during a break and she's like "uhh, im at FLETC right now...". Just goes to show how unpredictable this whole thing is. Good luck all the same!
                      Last edited by barnaj; 11-05-2008, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• Two questions:
                        Is the written test for this position anything like the TEA Exam?
                        If you are a current GS-9, will this agency bring you in at a 7 and move you up in-step in order to match your current pay?

Comment

• Originally posted by cpdsullivan117 View Post
                          Two questions:
                          If you are a current GS-9, will this agency bring you in at a 7 and move you up in-step in order to match your current pay?
                          Im pretty sure thats how it works but im not positive. i friend of mine who was ex tsa had a situation like that and he got compensated with step increases. as far as the exam i would think it is very similar.

Comment

• ugh. So I sent in my pre-employment forms last week monday. I called today just to confirm that they got it, and they did. but then they tell me that i didnt return the residency form. thats fine and all but the thing is that form was not on my checklist. i am %100 sure that form was not listed as one of the forms i had to send in. no big deal ill just overnight it tomorrow. but first i get the NOPA before i even get my TO and now this. so theres been some hurdles early on during my hiring process, i just hope the rest goes a little smoother.

Comment

• Originally posted by cpdsullivan117 View Post
                              Two questions:
                              LOL!! The test is nothing like the TEA exam. This is MUCH easier. It's more like a POST exam. And yes if you are currently a GS9 you'll most likely come in as a GS-7 with steps.
                              Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• Today I got a letter from DC .... it needed to be read, signed and returned "Receipt and Acknowledgment of Advisement Letter" so how bad is this one? or how long would it delay my process? thanks
                                TESTED: 3/21 EL CENTRO,CA
                                NOR: 4/21 - 92 (N/V) GS7
                                QUALIFICATIONS: COMPLETED (8/15)
                                GEO PREFERENCE: ANDRADE AZ/ CALEXICO CA
                                PRE-EMPLOYMENT FORMS:COMPLETED (5/29)
                                MEDICAL: COMPLETED(7/17)
                                FITNESS: COMPLETED(7/24)
                                VBT: (CALEXICO, CA) COMPLETED (7/22)
                                DRUG TEST: COMPLETED (7/25)
                                BI: CASE IS IN THE SECURITY OFFICE (met with the investigator (9/15) case sent to adjudicator(10/7)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12207 users online. 450 members and 11757 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X