Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Javier_Zalez View Post
    Hello all.

Anyone taken the VBT/SI recently at Laredo, TX? A friend told me he took it, but after the VBT they didn't do the SI.

I am a current CBPO and I remember the SI part is pretty....weak. I don't know if because of the workload at Laredo, they only do the VBT. Or because of the time (4PM).

Anyone that has had the VBT/SI recently in Laredo can shed any light?

Appreciate it.
    My guess is that he didn't pass the VBT. They review it and then determine if you should take the SI. It could be that they didn't have time but if they didn't mention to him/her that he would have to come back in then it most likely is that he didn't pass VBT.

Comment

• Originally posted by CriminalJusticeStudent View Post
      What port/location are you?
      i haven't been assigned a port but I applied for the southwest region.
      CBPO

Applied: 5/02/15
      External Assessment: 6/02/15
      TSL: 6/30/15
      NOR: 07/23/15 (97)
      Medical/PFT1: 7/21/15
      VBT/SI: 08/04/15
      SF-86/E-QUIP: 09/11/15
      POLY: 11/03/15

Comment

• Originally posted by CriminalJusticeStudent View Post
        My guess is that he didn't pass the VBT. They review it and then determine if you should take the SI. It could be that they didn't have time but if they didn't mention to him/her that he would have to come back in then it most likely is that he didn't pass VBT.
        That was my guess, but being that he's a Supervisor with BP, it's hard to imagine him failing something like the VBT that's so easy. I guess he'll have to wait for official confirmation via e-mail or so.

If anyone has any other info feel free to reply.

Comment

That was my guess, but being that he's a Supervisor with BP, it's hard to imagine him failing something like the VBT that's so easy. I guess he'll have to wait for official confirmation via e-mail or so.

Border Patrol in many ways is pretty much polar opposite as far as mindset, personality and traits desired within OFO. Just because someone is successful within OBP it doesn't necessarily follow that he can adapt to all the differences within OFO.

Plus, there's always a chance of him being held to higher standards than the average street hire based of his prior CBP history and management background.

Could also be that the VBT/SI was largely a formality. They may have made a decision, one way or another, without an indepth need for the VBT/SI.

Comment

So he's a GS-13 Border Patrol Supervisory Agent applying for a GS-7 position? [emoji15]

Comment

• Originally posted by howlongdoihavetowaitforthis View Post
              So he's a GS-13 Border Patrol Supervisory Agent applying for a GS-7 position? [emoji15]

The pay difference between CPB and BP are huge. I know a few BP that have crossed over to be CBP. My friends that are BP explained that there current union contract blows and they make a considerable amount less then CPB. There overtime isn't really overtime and goes by a percentage from what I was told and really hurts there pay.

Comment

• Originally posted by SSO1311 View Post
                The pay difference between CPB and BP are huge. I know a few BP that have crossed over to be CBP. My friends that are BP explained that there current union contract blows and they make a considerable amount less then CPB. There overtime isn't really overtime and goes by a percentage from what I was told and really hurts there pay.

The average PA makes more than the average CBPO. ..even under BPPRA.
                Most PAs have a highly distorted and inaccurate view on OFO compensation.

It's quite possible though that in the individual cases of your PA friends that they might work out better financially in the right port, under the right circumstances.

Plus, BP essentially works straight time overtime, so while they usually make more $$$, it comes at the cost of working far more hours.

Comment

Probably for relocation purposes. 90% of Border Patrol is on the Mexican border. The chances of getting into a major city or a region like Florida is extremely small within OBP.

Comment

• Originally posted by SSO1311 View Post
                    It would take him many, many years to make up that pay difference because of the huge step change. Plus he won't be getting GL pay for the first two years and OT when in training.

He's most likely doing it for relocation/quality of life reasons but my whole point is I think he is overqualified applying as a BP supervisor for an entry level CBP officer position.

It's like a USMC Captain trading in all his rank to enlist in the Army so he can be stationed elsewhere. Imagine him in academy with the massively less pay, rank/grade, etc. It's going to be a nightmare for him until he can become a supervisor again.

IMO, I think it is better for them to turn him away now rather than later. They did him a favor by not moving him onto the SI.

Comment

• Originally posted by cbp31384 View Post
                      Is one allowed to snack/drink during their polygraph exam?
                      no while you are on the polygraph, but you will have snack/drink/bathroom breaks

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                        Probably for relocation purposes. 90% of Border Patrol is on the Mexican border. The chances of getting into a major city or a region like Florida is extremely small within OBP.
                        Indeed. He's been over 12+ years in a border town. He wants out and I am fairly certain he has made his financial homework in case he eventually gets the call.

I understand that BP and OFO are very different jobs, but I also know him well enough to know he would pass the VBT. If you've been through BPs interview process, you can't possibly fail the VBT.

Comment

Indeed. He's been over 12+ years in a border town. He wants out and I am fairly certain he has made his financial homework in case he eventually gets the call.

I understand that BP and OFO are very different jobs, but I also know him well enough to know he would pass the VBT. If you've been through BPs interview process, you can't possibly fail the VBT.
                          Yeah, I doubt someone with his experience would fail the VBT. However, the VBT its very different from the BP interview.

Comment

• Referred to SU!

Comment

Referred to SU!
                              Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

• Anyone have any word on the upcoming FLETC academy dates? I'm just waiting for PFT2 now. Thanks!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8056 users online. 423 members and 7633 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X