300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CZ_Kid View Post
    Are you sure I spoke of any port personnel needs? I kinda just went through my PM's and did not see any of this. All I can really speak for anyway is JFK which is no secret that they are always filling spots.

I'm also very much against constant calling of MHC and even much more a port unless there is a clear problem that needs resolving. I was a 13-1 applicant that was just hired a few months back. I know things take time and a lot of folks in here will be better off understanding this also. Good luck.
    On page 2015 someone asked about Newark needs and you sent a PM. I don't know what information you know, but seeing your post and seeing the Miami post contributed to me starting the conversation asking if people knew information on the memo. Wasn't trying to point fingers at who knows/doesn't.

I'm a person that would rather ask the question and get an answer of yes or no than sit and ponder and stress over whether someone could answer my question but never have the courage to ask it.

Comment

• Just practice for PT test and do your daily activities. Don't stress out about how long it is going to take. As long as you are in the process, just don't worry, time will come.
      Last edited by pinarsu; 09-30-2015, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• While I have pretty much stopped posting here I have continued to follow the threads. The reason for no posts has been the unending whining about how long it's been taken, etc. It took me 5 years to be hired and a co-worker took 6 years (he EOD'd two months after I did). There have been many in the past that have taken MUCH longer to be hired than you! Some people get hired "quickly", while others seem to take forever. The "timelines" that are put out for the hiring process are nothing more than wishful thinking from HQ. If you can't figure out that MHC is generally a cluster f#$% then you're not very perceptive. If you want the job stick with it and roll on. Trying to second guess the way the system works will get you no where. It changes continuously!

I've also tired of reading applicants giving advice about something they know nothing about and then arguing with those who are CBPO's and taking the time to offer help. If you are a current Fed employee elsewhere good for you, it isn't CBP though. Each agency has their own way to do things. I have a little experience with that in the fact that I worked for three others prior to CBP, and two were DHS agencies! If you expect to get help from those in a better position than you to know how things work, how about a little courtesy towards them and their efforts.

With that said, the reason I've chosen to post now is to address some advice from an applicant that can potentially be detrimental to other applicants should it be followed. DO NOT call the port you want/have been offered and start pestering them about hiring. You have no need to contact them until you have been given a reporting date to EOD. Other than that they have nothing to do with your hiring*. If you are fortunate enough to be hired there the last thing you want to do is tick them off before you even get there. After you're hired MHC is a thing of the past. The people at the port are your future coworkers. It's a much easier transition into the service if you don't have a reputation before you even get there!

I too received many helpful insights here through the long number of years I was in the hiring process. If this has ruffled a few feathers it was not the intent. If you are someone that takes offense to it then I have some advice for you, seek another career. If you have thin skin and can't take constructive criticism then you'll have a tough career ahead of you. Good luck to all and hang in there. Your day will come!

*- Just for the knowitalls, yes, the port you may be hired at may be involved with your hiring in the form of conducting the VBT and SI. Those are conducted by them for applicants located in their geographic area. Those tasks are assigned to them, regardless of the the location the applicant is seeking to be hired at. Prior to EOD that is their only involvement.

Comment

• Great advice. Nevertheless, this is an open forum and discussion board and people share their experiences/timeline etc... and as future CBPO's it helps and gives us a little courage to know that we are not the ONLY one waiting for forever and that someone else is indeed in the same boat.

Originally posted by 66Pony View Post
          While I have pretty much stopped posting here I have continued to follow the threads. The reason for no posts has been the unending whining about how long it's been taken, etc. It took me 5 years to be hired and a co-worker took 6 years (he EOD'd two months after I did). There have been many in the past that have taken MUCH longer to be hired than you! Some people get hired "quickly", while others seem to take forever. The "timelines" that are put out for the hiring process are nothing more than wishful thinking from HQ. If you can't figure out that MHC is generally a cluster f#$% then you're not very perceptive. If you want the job stick with it and roll on. Trying to second guess the way the system works will get you no where. It changes continuously!

I've also tired of reading applicants giving advice about something they know nothing about and then arguing with those who are CBPO's and taking the time to offer help. If you are a current Fed employee elsewhere good for you, it isn't CBP though. Each agency has their own way to do things. I have a little experience with that in the fact that I worked for three others prior to CBP, and two were DHS agencies! If you expect to get help from those in a better position than you to know how things work, how about a little courtesy towards them and their efforts.

With that said, the reason I've chosen to post now is to address some advice from an applicant that can potentially be detrimental to other applicants should it be followed. DO NOT call the port you want/have been offered and start pestering them about hiring. You have no need to contact them until you have been given a reporting date to EOD. Other than that they have nothing to do with your hiring*. If you are fortunate enough to be hired there the last thing you want to do is tick them off before you even get there. After you're hired MHC is a thing of the past. The people at the port are your future coworkers. It's a much easier transition into the service if you don't have a reputation before you even get there!

I too received many helpful insights here through the long number of years I was in the hiring process. If this has ruffled a few feathers it was not the intent. If you are someone that takes offense to it then I have some advice for you, seek another career. If you have thin skin and can't take constructive criticism then you'll have a tough career ahead of you. Good luck to all and hang in there. Your day will come!

*- Just for the knowitalls, yes, the port you may be hired at may be involved with your hiring in the form of conducting the VBT and SI. Those are conducted by them for applicants located in their geographic area. Those tasks are assigned to them, regardless of the the location the applicant is seeking to be hired at. Prior to EOD that is their only involvement.

Comment

• Hi everyone,

15-2 applicant here and newbie to the forum. I'm waiting to have the Poly scheduled and just submitted some documents for medical review. Things have gone pretty quickly and smoothly, but I was just curious about the 16-1 spot that opened recently. Am I correct in that some will apply to a new posting while still in the process? And that this is to change your preferred duty location? I'm not looking to do that; I just want to make sure that sitting tight is the plan. If I remember correctly, applying to a new posting would override your current one anyway (?).

Comment

• Originally posted by LegoMan View Post
              Hi everyone,

15-2 applicant here and newbie to the forum. I'm waiting to have the Poly scheduled and just submitted some documents for medical review. Things have gone pretty quickly and smoothly, but I was just curious about the 16-1 spot that opened recently. Am I correct in that some will apply to a new posting while still in the process? And that this is to change your preferred duty location? I'm not looking to do that; I just want to make sure that sitting tight is the plan. If I remember correctly, applying to a new posting would override your current one anyway (?).
              Yes, you can do this. Any parts of the hiring process that you have done that are not out of date will be moved forward to your new application. I did this to change my duty location and was successful in doing so.
              "I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

Comment

• Originally posted by 66Pony View Post
                While I have pretty much stopped posting here I have continued to follow the threads. The reason for no posts has been the unending whining about how long it's been taken, etc. It took me 5 years to be hired and a co-worker took 6 years (he EOD'd two months after I did). There have been many in the past that have taken MUCH longer to be hired than you! Some people get hired "quickly", while others seem to take forever. The "timelines" that are put out for the hiring process are nothing more than wishful thinking from HQ. If you can't figure out that MHC is generally a cluster f#$% then you're not very perceptive. If you want the job stick with it and roll on. Trying to second guess the way the system works will get you no where. It changes continuously!

Better formatted and civilized response than the "doubtful one's".

Comment

• Originally posted by 66Pony View Post

I must say.. As a Federal Employee at another location, not much really changes from location to location in the fact that it's all a cluster! I too grow tired of the "I applied last week- when do I get hired?" as far as the pestering the port? well I couldn't even comment for I know I would have hurt some feelings... great comment!

Comment

• Originally posted by PHSeaBee View Post
                    I must say.. As a Federal Employee at another location, not much really changes from location to location in the fact that it's all a cluster! I too grow tired of the "I applied last week- when do I get hired?" as far as the pestering the port? well I couldn't even comment for I know I would have hurt some feelings... great comment!
                    Haha, Exactly. Just being polite with a consideration was the alternative for me, but I guess some don't understand what the word "consideration" means and can only have "doubts".

Comment

• Originally posted by ConanPhipsi176 View Post
                      Haha, Exactly. Just being polite with a consideration was the alternative for me, but I guess some don't understand what the word "consideration" means and can only have "doubts".
                      Merlin is one of the few people here who continues to help the community even though he doesn't have to. He probably knows more about this entire process than anyone else on this board. That being said, the indirect jabs at the advice he gave seems a little inappropriate. Accept any and all help you get with a smile. Understand that there is no rhyme or reason to how things are done, literally everyone will have a different timeline. Sit back, relax, continue working your current job, and keep yourself prepared for the PFT-2.

Sent from my iPhone - CBPO
                      EOD - 08/2014
                      FLETC - 9/14 - 01/15
                      DUTY LOC - JFK (CENTRAL EAST)

Comment

• Originally posted by juniorspades View Post
                        Merlin is one of the few people here who continues to help the community even though he doesn't have to. He probably knows more about this entire process than anyone else on this board. That being said, the indirect jabs at the advice he gave seems a little inappropriate. Accept any and all help you get with a smile. Understand that there is no rhyme or reason to how things are done, literally everyone will have a different timeline. Sit back, relax, continue working your current job, and keep yourself prepared for the PFT-2.

Sent from my iPhone - CBPO
                        No one is smiling or joking. Im simply saying no reason to slam and ridicule someone else, who is simiply giving advice to another comrade about their methods and actions...there's a huge difference between advising someone and to onslaught someone. Louisdiver was simply being proactive, which is nothing wrong with that and is a well-known method used within other federal agencies, thus he has used before. Everyone has given great advice on this forum, one being Merlin, but the unprofessional behaviorism and approach when someone is giving an opinion is very inappropriate.

With that said, Im not entertaining anymore personal conversations with people I dont know. Merlin, your contribution to this forum is appreciated. Moving on to the purpose of this forum (Processing).
                        Last edited by ConanPhipsi176; 09-30-2015, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• Okay. Enough with the jabs. Let's get back to whining about how long this is going to take.
                          "I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

Comment

• Originally posted by tevance67 View Post
                            Okay. Enough with the jabs. Let's get back to whining about how long this is going to take.
                            says the one who just shot through the process in 7 months! HAHAHAHAHA!!

Comment

• Hello guys, does anyone know what the process is to work at a seaport? I was assigned Newark airport but I was wondering if officers rotate between ports or something along those lines 😉

Comment

• Originally posted by Future CBPO View Post
                                On page 2015 someone asked about Newark needs and you sent a PM. I don't know what information you know, but seeing your post and seeing the Miami post contributed to me starting the conversation asking if people knew information on the memo. Wasn't trying to point fingers at who knows/doesn't.

I'm a person that would rather ask the question and get an answer of yes or no than sit and ponder and stress over whether someone could answer my question but never have the courage to ask it.

Hey, Future CBPO. PM me, bud.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9204 users online. 435 members and 8769 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X