300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
    Your test score is meaningless beyond the TSL phase.

I doubt anybody knows or cares what applicant test scores are during the post-TSL/ pre-employment stages like the BG and medical. Those who move forward through the process the quickest finish sooner. Those who get hung up on whatever wait for their issues to be resolved.

I guess if that were true then this would not have been posted ??

HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:

You must pass the CBP Officer Entrance Examination. This examination contains three (3) sections -- Reasoning Skills, Writing Skills, and the CBP Experience record. To be eligible, applicants must have a score of at least 70 (excluding veterans' preference points) on the written examimination. If you take and fail the written examination you will not be able to retake it for one year.

If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be placed in one of the following categories:

• Best Qualified: Applicants possessing the type and quality of experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position.
    • Very Highly Qualified: Applicants possessing the type and quality of experience that exceeds, to a very considerable extent, the minimum qualifications of the position.
    • Highly Qualified: Applicants possessing the type and quality of experience that exceeds, to a considerable extent, the minimum qualifications of the position.
    • Well Qualified: Applicants possessing the type and quality of experience that marginally exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position and who demonstrate average proficiency in most of the critical competencies of the position.
    • Qualified: Applicants possessing the type and quality of experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position.

Veterans with 5 point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligible’ within the category in which they qualify. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed at the top of the highest quality category depending on grade level.

hmmm? score must have some meaning in the selection process .... but I may be wrong as time does often show me?

It is what it is.

Comment

• well, my TSL is not for a "location" but for a Region (NW/N), so there are many locations within and therefore score may be a factor? .... but, maybe this is only important in the announcements that have "few vacancies" ?
      Last edited by PHSeaBee; 09-21-2015, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• It makes a difference prior to the Tentative Selection. Those with higher scores and better qualifications get their foot in the door first.

If we're talking of backgrounds and medical than we're talking of everyone who's in the post TSL applicant pool. At that point everyone is running the same race.

Comment

• I'm currently going through the BI and the investigators call my references but they never set up a meeting, should I be concerned? Is this normal?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Comment

• For those who applied when it was still "regional", your score will matter. When they call, they'll let you know what ports have vacancies. If you've received a TSL from one of the newer announcements that has a specific port chosen, the score won't matter much.

Sent from my iPhone - CBPO
            EOD - 08/2014
            FLETC - 9/14 - 01/15
            DUTY LOC - JFK (CENTRAL EAST)

Comment

• Originally posted by PHSeaBee View Post
              well, my TSL is not for a "location" but for a Region (NW/N), so there are many locations within and therefore score may be a factor? .... but, maybe this is only important in the announcements that have "few vacancies" ?
              I originally applied for a region as well for 15-1 but was asked to choose a duty location afterwards just like everyone else. I think you should get that resolved because I think that can be what's holding you up.

Comment

• I'd have to agree with Merlin. I think the scores were more used before when hiring was a lot slower and fewer in numbers.

The scores get you the TSL but it seems like everyone gets it as long as you have a passing score nowadays.

Comment

• Does anyone know if CBP has any upcoming job fairs and are they doing direct hire (ON THE SPOT )

Comment

• Yea, my experience is correlated with the majority. My exam proctor told us back in 2013 that the better the exam score, the faster you would advance to the "next step". So those who tested with me and scored better would move on to the next step faster than me. As far as location, if you have been officially assigned to a location, which would have been confirmed via email, on average, that would mean all steps have been completed and you are cleared for training and are ready to be placed at that assigned port. I don't believe the initial entry-exam reflects anything at that point. I believe the entry-exam just determines whose process starts first. I scored an 85 back in Nov 2013 and now have been waiting 2.5 months for the call to go to Fletc. My location email consisted of five different location choices to choose from, one being JFK (thus far, I believe Im the only one who got that many choices besides one on here, who received three around the same time I received my locations). Anywho, I chose IAD.

I called MHC last week to followup and check on everything and a lady told me they are simply waiting for a slot to open at IAD so they can send me to the academy. Thats just a little of my experience with this process. I think once you move on to another step besides the entry-exam, the ball has already started rolling for you. How long it takes to get everything complete is up to port demand and of course MHC.
                    Last edited by ConanPhipsi176; 09-21-2015, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lethal View Post
                      That's the first I've heard of your score not allowing you to have a certain port of entry.

Sent from my SGH-M919N using Tapatalk
                      2x

Comment

• Have my VBT/SI tomorrow, super nervous. We'll see how this goes..
                        NYPD EXAM #4329 May 2014
                        Score: 95+
                        List:1XX February 2015
                        APD-5: TBT
                        Medical: TBT
                        Written Psychological: TBT
                        Oral Psychological: TBT
                        Meet with investigator: TBT
                        JST: TBT
                        Mini Med: TBT

Comment

• Originally posted by joe_smith01 View Post
                          Have my VBT/SI tomorrow, super nervous. We'll see how this goes..
                          You'll do just fine. Dress your best and feel confident speak clearly and KNOCK EM' DEAD[emoji109]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by joe_smith01 View Post
                            Have my VBT/SI tomorrow, super nervous. We'll see how this goes..
                            You'll be fine. Just remember "customer service" and don't fall into the " I need to keep talking" mode!

Comment

• ok so no one has answered my question ...

because I've received an email stating whom my HR Professional currently is focusing on my background investigation...

should I expect for the process to start moving along ??? should I be expecting a call from him or what??
                              CBPO: GS-5
                              Geo/Location: JFK
                              Tested: 3/'13
                              NOR (84)
                              Medical/PFT1 passed: July 21st '15 // VBT/SI passed: July 23rd '15
                              Equip sent: 8/31/'15 // NOPA: ?
                              Poly: ? // Met with BI: ?
                              The Call: ? // Drug Test: ?
                              BI Cleared: ? // PFT 2: ?
                              EOD: ? // FLETC: ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma23 View Post
                                ok so no one has answered my question ...

because I've received an email stating whom my HR Professional currently is focusing on my background investigation...

should I expect for the process to start moving along ??? should I be expecting a call from him or what??
                                Yes expect one.... When? Time will tell??? Sorry I'm not much help but some are right away and some come later. I had mine assigned 8 months before I was contacted?!! Just be patient. I'm a 13-1 and still waiting....for the final call

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8783 users online. 440 members and 8343 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X