300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bronze01 View Post
    EOD for SEATTLE (Cost of living in Bay Area is not GS-7able for buying a home). I'm moving up there. Maybe I'll return to the bay area looking for a GS-12 position in 5 years. EOD: Nov 24. FLETC: Dec 30 (Had to make a pac with the Devil).

My Application was the Nov 2007 period. One year wasn't a bad wait.
    I hear you on that. I grew up for a bit in the Bay Area and it would be nice to live around there, but even with the locality pay, I couldn't see myself living there. Well congrats again, and maybe we'll pass each other at FLETC!
    "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Originally posted by bronze01 View Post
      EOD for SEATTLE (Cost of living in Bay Area is not GS-7able for buying a home). I'm moving up there. Maybe I'll return to the bay area looking for a GS-12 position in 5 years. EOD: Nov 24. FLETC: Dec 30 (Had to make a pac with the Devil).

My Application was the Nov 2007 period. One year wasn't a bad wait.
      Congrads man

Comment

• Originally posted by rbakous1 View Post
        Well, unless your temporary employer chooses to disregard labor law, your concern about being sandbagged is justified, but unlikely. Former employers can only give out certain information about you. I.E. length of employment, eligible for re-hire, ect. They are not allowed to defame you in any way. You can go into the BI interview and by your own admission discuss things about your employment activities that can be seen as unfavorable by any potential employer, that's really up to you. I have similar issues with respect to prior employment. From my experience and feedback gathered from background investigators and recruiters;having multiple jobs and length of employment isn't really an issue in and of itself. It's the reasons for job hopping and leaving, and whether or not you acted responsibly in leaving those jobs, that's what they are really interested in.

This is not entirely true. An former employer can say whatever they would like about you to an prospective employer as long as it is true and verifiable. Most avoid the whole problem by only verifiying dates of employment.

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
          This is not entirely true. An former employer can say whatever they would like about you to an prospective employer as long as it is true and verifiable. Most avoid the whole problem by only verifiying dates of employment.

FB
          You're right anything can be said as long as it's true, verifiable, job related, and made without malice. I wouldn't worry too much about a former employer describing you as an as$#%# or a loser to an investigator, if that's your concern.

Comment

• New to the forum, posting that is, but I have been reading for a long time. I am in the process and almost there and I have a few questions.

1. What is the actual pay for gs-7 at fletc?
            2. What is the job really like?
            3. What are the transfer and special team opportunities like?

This forum is a great place to find out new information and interact with others in the field, with a few postings excluded, it is very professional and very infromative for any prospective CBP employee. I have been through Fletc before, how demanding is both the physical and academic side of the course? Any information on actual pay, overtime, and the job itself would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comment

• I am a laid off teacher now substituting and only listed my work experience for my teaching career(7 years in February). I didnt list any of the jobs I had in college because they were so spread out and random that I cant remember any of the dates. Plus they were all just retail jobs like K-Mart and what not. After reading some of these posts Im starting to get worried. Will the BI question this? Im sure hell find see these jobs from tax records and what not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Feiu View Post
                New to the forum, posting that is, but I have been reading for a long time. I am in the process and almost there and I have a few questions.

1. What is the actual pay for gs-7 at fletc?
                2. What is the job really like?
                3. What are the transfer and special team opportunities like?

This forum is a great place to find out new information and interact with others in the field, with a few postings excluded, it is very professional and very infromative for any prospective CBP employee. I have been through Fletc before, how demanding is both the physical and academic side of the course? Any information on actual pay, overtime, and the job itself would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
                I usually don't say this because we all don't mind helping out neubies... But I think you will more than benefit going back about 10 pages and reading some old posts. All your questions will be answered 10x and some.

Comment

• Originally posted by bobcatgolthwait View Post
                  I am a laid off teacher now substituting and only listed my work experience for my teaching career(7 years in February). I didnt list any of the jobs I had in college because they were so spread out and random that I cant remember any of the dates. Plus they were all just retail jobs like K-Mart and what not. After reading some of these posts Im starting to get worried. Will the BI question this? Im sure hell find see these jobs from tax records and what not.
                  You should mention that you did work at those places but do not remember the dates. They can always check with the HR department.

Comment

I am a laid off teacher now substituting and only listed my work experience for my teaching career(7 years in February). I didnt list any of the jobs I had in college because they were so spread out and random that I cant remember any of the dates. Plus they were all just retail jobs like K-Mart and what not. After reading some of these posts Im starting to get worried. Will the BI question this? Im sure hell find see these jobs from tax records and what not.
                    I agree with Audioxplode. When you meet with you BI he/she will ask you how you supported yourself during that period of time. Those jobs will show on your tax information and probably your credit reports. I'd recommend, taking some time prior to meeting with your BI and getting that information together as best you can. I was given homework from my BI to get info on a long lost relative that I didn't list originally because I haven’t seen them in years. I would imagine that your BI will probably ask you to gather that past work info anyway, so you might as well have it ready ahead of time to give him/her when you meet so it doesn't delay your processing.

Comment

I forgot to list a job I had in college b/c it only last a month, I realized it after the interview, I was freaked but I sent an email to the BI, she just appended it to the report and it didn't cause any problems.

The general impression I got was that as long as your weren't trying to conceal anything employment omissions that you clear up in the interview won't hurt you.

Comment

• just finished my VBT.. it was interesting

Comment

• Originally posted by nordy racer View Post
                          just finished my VBT.. it was interesting
                          Yeah, I can't wait ready to just get it done.

Comment

• Originally posted by wmcgalrd View Post
                            Yeah, I can't wait ready to just get it done.
                            You guys are lucky. I still have two weeks to wait for mine.
                            "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Originally posted by nordy racer View Post
                              just finished my VBT.. it was interesting
                              Past experience...people who found the VBT interested actually failed the VBT. lol
                              Last edited by shawal16; 10-29-2008, 01:30 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

• Originally posted by shawal16 View Post
                                Passed experience...people who found the VBT interested actually failed the VBT. lol
                                LOL.. i was just stating it was fun..
                                Last edited by nordy racer; 10-29-2008, 01:06 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5684 users online. 365 members and 5319 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X