300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
    What exactly leads you to believe that taking an IEA job over a CBPO job "is the way to go"?

In the past, many CBPO's used to jump over to get 6C coverage...but that's moot now.

It might be a step across, but it's sure not a step up...IMO.
    There's a reason they're call "bus drivers" to our "stamp monkeys".
    Thanks Merlin, I was a bit confused and thought maybe I needed to put in an application there for a minute.

Comment

Last edited by tigers2007; 04-17-2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wmcgalrd View Post
        Thanks Merlin, I was a bit confused and thought maybe I needed to put in an application there for a minute.
        Put in an app. for IEA if you want...I'm not knocking their job.

They're just two different jobs with different pains/perks and different missions.

Comment

• Originally posted by tigers2007 View Post
          Merlin has a good point. Plus, where else can you rack up as much double-OT as much as you can handle?

If anything, at least stick around CBP to rob them of the OT for a few years while you move up to GS-11. At that point, you might never leave. Making $63/hr has its benefits...(we'll we might have to wait and see what happens after our Democratic Super-Majority takes the helm)

Merlin -- does the yearly cost-of-living raise begin on Jan 1.? Do you know if it will be 2.5% again?

Your world may be different, but I've never been to a point or a port where I could "rack up as much double-OT as much as you can handle".
          Sure...at some of the 327 ports within CBP there is the option to work 35K(or more, if you get a waiver) in OT but I dare say at the majority of ports that isn't a reasonable outlook. In 5 years as a CBPO my personal best is something like 7.2K. Very few Officers I know of cap (or come close to capping) out.

About the raise...last I knew it was 3.9% and OPM was working on it. There was something about tying the actual percentage to locality pay, so I'm guessing that some Officers will see more than 3.9% and some will see less.
          It should come about in January...

Comment

Making $63/hr has its benefits...
            In my world, making $63 an hour on OT is something you'd need to be a GS11/08 to do. That step takes about 14 years to reach, assuming one starts as a GS-05.

Comment

Last edited by tigers2007; 04-17-2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

In my port a GS11/4 would make $64.57/hr OT in 2009. A GS11/1 would make $58.70. I'm surprised we get such a premium for working in Detroit.
                You have access to the 2009 OPM wage charts?

Please, share the link.

Comment

• How do I check to see if my credit has been pulled or not? Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by s0lid snake View Post
                    How do I check to see if my credit has been pulled or not? Thanks.
                    I used this website because they do not make you enter a credit card.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

Comment

Are those the same guys as the IRS-CI's??? Right now there are some IRS guys here that have some wicked hair styles. One guy looks like he hasn't shaved his beard or head in probably seven years. There is another guy that looks like he was the captain on the titanic.

By far the BOP candidates fill their trays the most. An average of four full plates of food and two small dishes of pie slices. Not to forget a farewell closer to the ice cream machine on the way out. I saw one guy that was so big he was sitting on TWO CHAIRS. I think their physical agility consists of running one lap around the track (1/4mile) in 2:45. That must be a challenge for some folks here. Granted there are a handful of CBPO's that are seriously 100lbs overweight. There is no way they could have passed that step test without someone illegally pushing them through. I'm in okay shape but that step test was harder than running the 1.5mile. These are the guys that have 60 inch belts and are always eating junk slop. Another interesting fact is that they disappear after class and are never seen at the PT building. Its a free 17-19 weeks of GS5 or 7 pay and then bubye!

Haha, that is hilarious, "captain on the titanic"!! Yeah thats how i remember it. Im not knocking anyones job, because it cant be easy working with federal prisoners for a living, but yes BOP mostly consisted of guys who looked like they were in special ed in high school and gals that had purple hair...

Comment

• Originally posted by bronze01 View Post
                        From what I gather. Here's my take on it:

15 minute 1 1/2 mile.

Make sure you can touch your toes and/or beyond (something about a flexibility issue of back/legs).

Agility course (sprinting 30 yards up & back, then going around 4 cones up and back the 30 yards, then sprinting 30 yards up and back in I think in a range of 15 - 18 seconds????

Heard push-ups are mandatory. Dfly says to start doing them now.
                        Regardless of the requirements start doing push ups and running now if you're not already. Do core stuff as well while you're at it, but from experience being lacking when it comes to upper body strength or cardio can really make your days much less enjoyable.

I went into basic training as a complete stick and could do the fewest push ups of any guy there on day one (not a great day for my pride I gotta say.) It's not just PT that it kicks your *** in, if you're already sore from PT then hand to hand crap or anything else becomes an absolute bitch.

I realize this isn't going to be anything like that situation. But over prepare, believe me you'd much rather do this crap at a nice comfy gym or on your basement floor that trying to catch up during drills on some muddy patch or a PT mat somewhere. No one ever had their day ruined from being too in shape.

Comment

• I met with my Investigator almost a month ago and last night I checked the three credit reporting companies and it showed no inquiries at all. Is this unusual or what?

Comment

• Originally posted by 2g2gn View Post
                            I met with my Investigator almost a month ago and last night I checked the three credit reporting companies and it showed no inquiries at all. Is this unusual or what?
                            Seems odd to me because during your interview you are supposed to be able to explain any derogatory credit findings. I just got home from my interview and i had to go over and verify my credit report. But who knows? There seems to be no ryhme nor reason to the way they do things.

Comment

• Mine had a copy of my credit report with him to go over things like my student loans.

Comment

• Interesting

Hmmm I have student loans I am sure he will ask me about them. Getting kinda anxious my Investigator comes tommarow to talk to me then he gonna go talk to two of my references. Funny he said he will be in town all day tomarrow. hopefully he gets what he needs and can submit my case. But of course i will prolly have too wait another 6 months until I get a call LOL. Seriously though it would be nice to start soon.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 15958 users online. 478 members and 15480 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X