Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four (4) years of study in any field leading to a bachelor's degree in an accredited college or university is fully qualifying for the GS-5 level.

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fil...rements%20.pdf

Otherwise...

Applicants must have at least three (3) years of full-time general experience that demonstrates the ability to meet and deal with people and the ability to learn and apply a body of facts.

Comment

• In the announcement there was a GS7 achieved by 120 credits with a 3.0 or higher GPA and at least 1 year in specialized work experience, working with backgrounds, screening and investigation related duties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• My timeline goes as follows. My test was taken at a Computerized test center.

CBPO 15-2 Series/Grade 1895/07
        CBP Entry Level OFO OBP
        Queens, NY (JFK)

5/5/15 - Applied and finished application
        6/24/15 - Completed external assessment
        6/30/15 - Received notification letter. Referred to proceed with the pre-employment process.
        Last edited by zFinest; 07-01-2015, 11:45 AM.
        With honor and integrity, we will safeguard the American people, our homeland, and our values.

Comment

• 14-1 appl Geo East Texas here... I just received this email by cbp hiring...
          At the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), we continually strive to improve efficiencies in the hiring of new applicants. Today we are contacting you because you have a current application with us for an entry level Customs and Border Protection Officer (CBPO) position, and we want to let you know of an important improvement we are making.

Our research indicates that by offering applicants a firm duty station earlier in the pre-employment process that, you the applicant, will be more satisfied with the pre-employment process, and you will be more successful in your transition to the CBPO position.

As you are aware, the CBPO announcement that you applied for and were tentatively selected was based on a geographic region concept. You selected the Texas East region for consideration, understanding that the final duty location would be offered after you successfully complete all of the pre-employment requirements.

You have completed all of the pre-employment processes and your file remains in Training and Scheduling; however, we currently do not have any vacant positions available in your region. Once a funded vacancy is available, you will be contacted by the Minneapolis Hiring Center with a final offer to schedule your entry on duty in the above duty location.

We are contacting you to let you know that once a funded vacant position is available, you will be assigned a duty location of:
          Houston International Airport... Finally some good news since being referred to scheduling unit in December of 2014

Comment

• well it's good to hear they haven't forgotten us 14-1 applicants??

Originally posted by Abner Rios View Post
            14-1 appl Geo East Texas here... I just received this email by cbp hiring...
            At the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), we continually strive to improve efficiencies in the hiring of new applicants. Today we are contacting you because you have a current application with us for an entry level Customs and Border Protection Officer (CBPO) position, and we want to let you know of an important improvement we are making.

Our research indicates that by offering applicants a firm duty station earlier in the pre-employment process that, you the applicant, will be more satisfied with the pre-employment process, and you will be more successful in your transition to the CBPO position.

As you are aware, the CBPO announcement that you applied for and were tentatively selected was based on a geographic region concept. You selected the Texas East region for consideration, understanding that the final duty location would be offered after you successfully complete all of the pre-employment requirements.

You have completed all of the pre-employment processes and your file remains in Training and Scheduling; however, we currently do not have any vacant positions available in your region. Once a funded vacancy is available, you will be contacted by the Minneapolis Hiring Center with a final offer to schedule your entry on duty in the above duty location.

We are contacting you to let you know that once a funded vacant position is available, you will be assigned a duty location of:
            Houston International Airport... Finally some good news since being referred to scheduling unit in December of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
              Four (4) years of study in any field leading to a bachelor's degree in an accredited college or university is fully qualifying for the GS-5 level.

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fil...rements%20.pdf

Otherwise...

Applicants must have at least three (3) years of full-time general experience that demonstrates the ability to meet and deal with people and the ability to learn and apply a body of facts.
              So if you have both that would be GS7 correct? I ask because different agencies say different things.

Comment

• Originally posted by zFinest View Post
                My timeline goes as follows. My test was taken at a Computerized test center.

CBPO 15-2 Series/Grade 1895/07
                CBP Entry Level OFO OBP
                Queens, NY (JFK)

6/30/15 - Received notification letter. Referred to proceed with the pre-employment process.
                Exactly the same here..
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZQeMv5PXhg HOOAH Brother!!!

Got the email @ 1800 Dec 16
                STAY STRONG!!!
                US ARMY

Comment

• Originally posted by service4others View Post
                  So if you have both that would be GS7 correct? I ask because different agencies say different things.
                  Perhaps, but not necessarily.

My understanding is that if a person qualifies both minimally under each of the experience and the educational standards then he does not qualify for a GS-07.

If he meets the standards for superior academic achievement and/or the standards for specific qualifying experience(law enforcement, managerial/supervisory, specialized experience)...then yes.

The short answer, as in most situations, is that if a person can convince the Agency that he qualifies...he qualifies.

Comment

• Hey guys I got a few questions that maybe one of you can help with.. So I eod on the 13th and I still have not received my "welcome" email from my port so I'm not entirely sure where I will be heading for on my first day.. Should I contact someone about that yet? The other question is if anyone knows if we will be working the weekend before you head to FLETC. I start FLETC the 17 but I'm not sure if I will be off during the weekend and stay in the city or if they will fly me out to Ga on that Friday before I start FLETC. I have to start making living arrangements now. I will be stationed at LAX btw.. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comment

• Welp, guess I'll have to wait until next week (again!) for the chance to hear anything!
                      CBPO 14-3 Central East Coast Region

Applied 10/3/14
                      Exam 12/6/14
                      NOR 1/12/15 (Passed, 90)
                      TS 1/23/15
                      Medical/PFT1 3/12/15 (Passed PFT)
                      TSL Packet Received 3/20/15 Submitted 3/25/15
                      VBT/SI 4/6/15 (Passed)
                      TSL "In security office" 4/8/15
                      Polygraph Inconclusive 4/27/15
                      Second Polygraph awaiting the wrath (or mercy!) of QC 5/27/15
                      Removed from consideration due to "unfavorable polygraph" 7/9/15

Comment

• I have a few questions before I make the switch from NYPD to CBP at JFK Airport. Your help is greatly appreciated.

1. Does a CBP Officer wear bullet resistant vest inside the airport like JFK?
                        2. Are CBP Officers allowed to carry an off duty firearm? Is it true they can carry in the plane? Are they allowed to make off duty arrests?
                        3. What's the retirement plan for CBP? 20 years or 25 years? Is it 50% of the salary for pension? Is there a minimum age requirement to retire?
                        4. How does a CBP officer boss up? Are there tests that you have to pass?
                        5. I did 2 years with TSA. Will that count toward my time with CBP?

Again, thanks for your input guys.
                        NYPD COP Exam # 1313 List # 3xx
                        APD-5: 08/12
                        Medical: 04/13
                        Psych: 06/13
                        Oral Psych: 06/13
                        BI: 08/13
                        JST: 10/13 (3:13)
                        Mini-Med: 10/13
                        Got the call: 1/5/14 @ 18:28
                        Academy: 01/08/2014
                        Graduation: July 2014

CBPO (Central East) 15-3
                        Exam: 09/04/13
                        NOR: 09/13/13 (90%)
                        TSL: 05/01/15
                        Medical & PFT1: 05/19/15
                        VBT: 06/17/15

Exams Taken: Port Authority Police, Suffolk Police (Score: 95%), Nassau Police (91.505%), NYS Trooper, NYC Sheriff, FDNY, NYS Court Officer & many more

Comment

• Originally posted by kimran611 View Post
                          I have a few questions before I make the switch from NYPD to CBP at JFK Airport. Your help is greatly appreciated.

2. Are CBP Officers allowed to carry an off duty firearm? Is it true they can carry in the plane? Are they allowed to make off duty arrests?
                          3. What's the retirement plan for CBP? 20 years or 25 years? Is it 50% of the salary for pension? Is there a minimum age requirement to retire?

1. Yes. I don't believe that as a matter of policy/course they are authorized to wear external carriers in an airport enviroment, though.

2. Yes to off-duty carriage...within policy. Yes to carrying on a plane...within policy. Yes, to off-duty arrests...also within policy. Off-duty is pretty much off-duty though. There are few off-duty situations where off-duty arresting would be the most prudent or agreeable action. Most CBPOs will never make an off-duty arrest.

3. 20 years at 50 or older or 25 years at any age. Mandated retirement at age 57 for new hires. Retirement is 1.7% for the first 20 years and 1% for any year beyond that. 25 years of service equates to 39% retirement at the high-three of base pay plus up to 1/2 of overtime.(currently at 17.5K)

Retirement also consists of Social Security and a Thrift Savings Plan(more or less analogous to a 401K.) Wise people max out on their TSP contributions to pad their future retirement plans.

4. Yes, there is a test to promote beyond journeyman.(currently the GS-12 level)
                          Firebug is a CBP Supervisor. He would be a better contact to pursue if you have questions specific to promotion.

5. Your TSA time will count towards things like annual leave hours per PP and will count as a tie-breaker towards seniority. For most things, time in another agency is largely irrelevant. Straight OFO time is usually the only time that matters.
                          Last edited by merlin436; 07-02-2015, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                            1. Yes. I don't believe that as a matter of policy/course they are authorized to wear external carriers in an airport enviroment, though.

2. Yes to off-duty carriage...within policy. Yes to carrying on a plane...within policy. Yes, to off-duty arrests...also within policy. Off-duty is pretty much off-duty though. There are few off-duty situations where off-duty arresting would be the most prudent or agreeable action. Most CBPOs will never make an off-duty arrest.

3. 20 years at 50 or older or 25 years at any age. Mandated retirement at age 57 for new hires. Retirement is 1.7% for the first 20 years and 1% for any year beyond that. 25 years of service equates to 39% retirement at the high-three of base pay plus up to 1/2 of overtime.(currently at 17.5K)

Retirement also consists of Social Security and a Thrift Savings Plan(more or less analogous to a 401K.) Wise people max out on their TSP contributions to pad their future retirement plans.

4. Yes, there is a test to promote beyond journeyman.(currently the GS-12 level)
                            Firebug is a CBP Supervisor. He would be a better contact to pursue if you have questions specific to promotion.

5. Your TSA time will count towards things like annual leave hours per PP and will count as a tie-breaker towards seniority. For most things, time in another agency is largely irrelevant. Straight OFO time is usually the only time that matters.
                            At Jfk External carriers only for certain units, otherwise under the uniform. I personally will wear it everyday because anything can happen, must be prepared.

Comment

• Originally posted by kimran611 View Post
                              I have a few questions before I make the switch from NYPD to CBP at JFK Airport. Your help is greatly appreciated.

1. Yes
                              2.Yes except no off duty arrest
                              3. 25 years of service 37 percent pension, age 50 I believe.
                              4. Take a test pass or fail get placed in the pipeline
                              5. You have a break in service so no.

Nypd 78k after 5 years cbp 84k after 5 years and a raise every year which will equal 102k base salary when all is said and done. 35k overtime. Great career.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Thecldriver; 07-03-2015, 12:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thecldriver View Post
                                1. Yes
                                2.Yes except no off duty arrest
                                3. 25 years of service 34 percent pension, age 50 I believe.
                                4. Take a test pass or fail get placed in the pipeline
                                5. You have a break in service so no.

Nypd 78k after 5 years cbp 84k after 5 years and a raise every year which will equal 102k base salary when all is said and done. 35k overtime. Great career.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                                I would love to get in with CBP but I do not want to move to work a border port of entry. I want to work an airport or boat port in a major city. The border ports are the only openings they have for this position now maybe this will change?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7319 users online. 407 members and 6912 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X