300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
    Yeah well i had fallen on some hard times and they helped me out with some money when i wasnt working. So they BI wanted to verify that and that i wasnt selling dope or something. They called one of my references and are meeting with another one tommorrow. Yeah, it sure would be nice to get into TSU and down to georgia asap!
    I hear ya.... I fell on some bad times too (as I'm afraid that many Michiganders have) and was unemployed for a bit.

It seemed odd to me when the BI asked me what I did when I was unemployed. I remember thinking, "what do you mean what did I do??? I looked for a job....and watched a lot of TV".

Looking back on it....it's a good question. Since I don't do illegal things, my first thought wasn't that he was asking me if I was doing something illegal to pay my bills. That's so far from reality that it didn't even cross my mind. I really wonder if they are trained to watch for reactions to questions, and record reactions that they feel may be deceptive or questionable; or do they just record your answers?

What does the hotline say when everything is cleared and you are sent to TSU?
    Last edited by Pawn922; 10-27-2008, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pawn922 View Post
      I hear ya.... I fell on some bad times too (as I'm afraid that many Michiganders have) and was unemployed for a bit.

It seemed odd to me when the BI asked me what I did when I was unemployed. I remember thinking, "what do you mean what did I do??? I looked for a job....and watched a lot of TV".

Looking back on it....it's a good question. Since I don't do illegal things, my first thought wasn't that he was asking me if I was doing something illegal to pay my bills. That's so far from reality that it didn't even cross my mind. I really wonder if they are trained to watch for reactions to questions and respond to, and record reactions that they feel may be deceptive or questionable; or do they just record your answers?

What does the hotline say when everything is cleared and you are sent to TSU?
      I cant remember, something along the lines of "congratulations you have passed all pre-employment processes and have been referred to the scheduling unit." Yeah the BI finished up with my folks and my neighbor. Small talk mostly and things like "would he take race into consideration when making decisions?", etc.

Comment

• My parents were interviewed because they were vouching for my times of unemployment for the first year of college, as well as all of my study abroad work and what not. I won't lie, my parents are extremely lucky and were able to help cover most of my costs while in my first year of college, so it let me concentrate on my studies. Beyond that I held a job through out college to pay for things. I told the BI this and he told me that while it was less common for him to interview parents, he told me that it was the right thing and that they were the only way to verify information on my timeline.
        "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• I got my vbt date today I an august tester
          Wonder if it is really easy as people seem to say on here?
          Also i have new employment with a gov contractor i also had to do a sf86 for them; but this was after i sent my app for cbp. How do i update it for cbp or do i just wait for my BI and tell them?

Comment

• Originally posted by southwest View Post
            I got my vbt date today I an august tester
            Wonder if it is really easy as people seem to say on here?
            Also i have new employment with a gov contractor i also had to do a sf86 for them; but this was after i sent my app for cbp. How do i update it for cbp or do i just wait for my BI and tell them?
            Tell your BI when you meet up with him/her, they will act on it accordingly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dfly123 View Post
              Thanks...Im not to sure what to do at the moment, I know for long term, IEA is the way to go... and I mean Im not married, no kids... so another 18 weeks wouldnt cause much strain on me, but .... I mean thats a long time here at FLETC... it gets old.

Plus, Im curious... anyone know what the IEA training is like? Im told that it is more "in your face, physical" then academics like CBP is.
              I know nothing about IEA, why would you say thats better in the long run? More pay, better job? Or maybe someone else can answer for me.

Thanks

Comment

Thanks...Im not to sure what to do at the moment, I know for long term, IEA is the way to go... and I mean Im not married, no kids... so another 18 weeks wouldnt cause much strain on me, but .... I mean thats a long time here at FLETC... it gets old.

Plus, Im curious... anyone know what the IEA training is like? Im told that it is more "in your face, physical" then academics like CBP is.
                It's not really "in your face" or very "physical". Outside of the ATF academy or USMS, nothing at FLECT fits that bill. I saw more than a few tater hog IEA's graduating (ask if you can't figure out what tater hog means). It's more police like than CBP, more tactics, a little more situational shooting, a little more PT, but nothing crazy. CBP is much more academic than IEA. And just so it's known, CBP has a higher shooting standard than IEA (they shoot the investigator course of fire).

We have had a few legacy INS guys go to IEA (did not require academy) and most came back. IEA is an old job under a new agency and it's still trying work the bugs out like we are.

If your single and want to travel, then IEA would be a good job. Depending on where your at, you may be a defacto corrections officer, so check out locals before applying.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Last edited by tigers2007; 04-17-2017, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Is anyone else excited for the VBT? I can't wait to get it over with! I wonder if there are different versions of VBT with different scenarios depending on where your port is at, such as seaport, airport, etc?

Comment

• I was hearing from people that it was getting a little more standardized and harder to PT, but that seems to be a little more on the crystal ball side of questions because it seems to depend on the PT instructor. Personally, I've always had a slight weight problem, but I've been running for awhile now trying to get ready to PT, although my pushups have suffered a bit since my injury. I'm hoping for a decent PT instructor. It would be nice for someone to pay me so I could get in better shape than I am. I'm not looking for a free ride through training.

Comment

• I just pulled my credit report and saw Customs checked my credit on 10/21. Does anyone have an idea as to when people heard from the BI after their credit was pulled?

Comment

• Originally posted by s0lid snake View Post
                          Is anyone else excited for the VBT? I can't wait to get it over with! I wonder if there are different versions of VBT with different scenarios depending on where your port is at, such as seaport, airport, etc?
                          Yeah, excited, nervous whatever you want to call it. I went before a 6 person hiring board for my current department and I think I'm more nervous about this because I have no idea what to expect.
                          Last edited by wmcgalrd; 10-27-2008, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wmcgalrd View Post
                            I just pulled my credit report and saw Customs checked my credit on 10/21. Does anyone have an idea as to when people heard from the BI after their credit was pulled?
                            I met with my BI ten days after my credit was pulled.

Comment

• I'm excited for the VBT. My previous work experience is mostly customer service, so I feel ready to try it out. I don't know how I will feel about talking to a video camera though. The one thing I think I will prefer about the BPA oral board is that there were actual people there. Who knows. All I know is that when I took that oral board I walked out of that room feeling like I completely bombed it, and whaddyaknow, I passed. Knowing that, I'm trying to keep my confidence low intensity. No point at becoming over confident at this point in time.

Comment

What exactly leads you to believe that taking an IEA job over a CBPO job "is the way to go"?

In the past, many CBPO's used to jump over to get 6C coverage...but that's moot now.

It might be a step across, but it's sure not a step up...IMO.
                                There's a reason they're call "bus drivers" to our "stamp monkeys".

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6132 users online. 451 members and 5681 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X