300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hello_reason View Post
    Before I post this let me just say that I truly do understand the backlash this may or may not bring up, but I feel that most people would agree with me on this subject. This is the truth like it or not.

If you are going to take a polygraph with CBP soon, the best thing that you can do is stop coming on this forum and reading all the negative posts of people crying saying that they failed the test. CBP is considered Law Enforcement, and all state, local, and county LE jobs require poly for the most part, so get over it. This forum should be about real questions regarding the hiring process and networking, not crying about failing something. If you fail the polygraph, show yourself some self-respect and apply again in the future, or move on to another job or career. Coming on here and blaming the world, or the process, or the machine, or whatever is not going to make the result change, and all it's going to do it hurt other people's heads who have not taken the poly yet. The whole entire process is unpredictable. You can have a ridiculous background investigator and I can have a nice sweet older one, you can have easy evaluators for your VBT and Oral and someone else might have judgmental ones, on and on. Polygraphs do not read your mind, they read your physiological signals coming from your body, and you know what messes up those signals??? Reading bull crap on this forum about people saying how unfair and messed up the polygraph machines are. Start your own thread or subject on this forum called "Can't pass the Poly", or "the machine ruined my life" or whatever. You should not be crying to us about your failures, go cry to your mama.

Please. Real LE officers would not be on his forum crying about failing. Have some respect for yourselves.
    I basically said this a month ago. At least I know I am not alone.

Comment

• Originally posted by tevance67 View Post
      A quick question for those who are current CBPOs. I'm really looking forward to making the transition into federal law enforcement from my current career, however, I am going to take a pay hit due to the time I have in my current profession. My current net salary is roughly $54,000. My question is, how long am I looking at before I will be back up to that pay level as a CBPO, taking into account base pay, overtime, and any other differential pay? I'm starting to make financial plans now to do the proverbial belt tightening, and I just want to know, realistically, what kind of time scale I'm looking at before I'm back into the same pay range.

I live in El Paso and applied for the Southwest region (fingers crossed to get a port in El Paso or somewhere nearby).

Application- 2/19/2015
      Written exam (Passed) - 4/8/2015
      TSL - 4/30/2015
      SF86/eQip - 5/26/2015
      VBT/SI (Passed) - 5/29/2015
      Medical Exam/PFT1 (Passed) - 6/2/2015
      Depends where you get hired and if they let you come in at a 5 or 7. There are some BP guys who moved over they come in at 11. If you include the first year which includes pre Academy, Academy, post Academy then get ot and differential after that you can be at the current pay a year after you start or two years. Start date means the first day of pre academy, so first year is all training basically.

Comment

• Agree to Disagree.
        Last edited by hello_reason; 06-11-2015, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hello_reason View Post
          It's good to know that others at least agree with my opinion. I know for a fact that I am not alone. But you are 100 % right. I should not be on here. At this point it seems a little immature for me to be bickering with people that can't pass a poly while I am just waiting for my EOD and done with the whole process. I won't come on here again or check who failed their poly and needs a shoulder to cry on. But I will say this. I really hope that I do not end up working with these people in real life, because someone that can't handle the stress of a polygraph, I do not want by my side if **** hits the fan or I'm getting shot at.
          I think personally people look too deep into what the polygraph is really used for. Sure it's a way to weed out bad guys and also expose some things some candidates may hide. But overall it's a tool to help weed out the overflow of applicants. Before the poly was implemented, the VBT and SI was the gate keeper believe it or not. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thecldriver View Post
            I think personally people look too deep into what the polygraph is really used for. Sure it's a way to weed out bad guys and also expose some things some candidates may hide. But overall it's a tool to help weed out the overflow of applicants. Before the poly was implemented, the VBT and SI was the gate keeper believe it or not. Just my 2 cents.
            Frankly, the VBT and SI still ought to be the gate keeper. If a plethora of senior officers meeting you face-to-face have any doubts about your ability to do the job then you shouldn't get passed that phase and you should be removed from consideration...and it would save a lot of people their time and resources. Then applicants can then be mad at themselves for botching an interview instead of getting mad at a machine! "You failed the interview" is a lot easier to stomach than "this machine thinks your lying so you fail".
            CBPO 14-3 Central East Coast Region

Applied 10/3/14
            Exam 12/6/14
            NOR 1/12/15 (Passed, 90)
            TS 1/23/15
            Medical/PFT1 3/12/15 (Passed PFT)
            TSL Packet Received 3/20/15 Submitted 3/25/15
            VBT/SI 4/6/15 (Passed)
            TSL "In security office" 4/8/15
            Polygraph Inconclusive 4/27/15
            Second Polygraph awaiting the wrath (or mercy!) of QC 5/27/15
            Removed from consideration due to "unfavorable polygraph" 7/9/15

Comment

• Originally posted by Kiernyc View Post
              Frankly, the VBT and SI still ought to be the gate keeper. If a plethora of senior officers meeting you face-to-face have any doubts about your ability to do the job then you shouldn't get passed that phase and you should be removed from consideration...and it would save a lot of people their time and resources. Then applicants can then be mad at themselves for botching an interview instead of getting mad at a machine! "You failed the interview" is a lot easier to stomach than "this machine thinks your lying so you fail".
              The VBT or Interview doesn't test what info you state about your past. So what you are saying is, if someone puts down on a piece of paper that they never did drugs, never smuggled someone, never took a bribe, etc I should automatically believe them? You must have never done backgrounds. A lot of people lie, yes some of you on here who are proactive and really one to get in didn't but what about those who do lie. You want to be working with them? I don't.
              Last edited by dkman; 06-06-2015, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Sorry let me clarify, I meant that as a response regarding your comment specifically related to overflow of candidates. Still also think they should place more emphasis on a real background investigation than polygraph, or at least in conjunction with polygraph. For all I know maybe they do that in some cases. I am not naive, I know people lie, but they also shouldn't assume by default that practically everyone is guilty of some heinous crime, again an in-depth background investigation could probably determine if this is the case, or at least if big red flags exist better than just a polygraph by itself.
                CBPO 14-3 Central East Coast Region

Applied 10/3/14
                Exam 12/6/14
                NOR 1/12/15 (Passed, 90)
                TS 1/23/15
                Medical/PFT1 3/12/15 (Passed PFT)
                TSL Packet Received 3/20/15 Submitted 3/25/15
                VBT/SI 4/6/15 (Passed)
                TSL "In security office" 4/8/15
                Polygraph Inconclusive 4/27/15
                Second Polygraph awaiting the wrath (or mercy!) of QC 5/27/15
                Removed from consideration due to "unfavorable polygraph" 7/9/15

Comment

• Originally posted by Kiernyc View Post
                  Sorry let me clarify, I meant that as a response regarding your comment specifically related to overflow of candidates. Still also think they should place more emphasis on a real background investigation than polygraph, or at least in conjunction with polygraph. For all I know maybe they do that in some cases. I am not naive, I know people lie, but they also shouldn't assume by default that practically everyone is guilty of some heinous crime, again an in-depth background investigation could probably determine if this is the case, or at least if big red flags exist better than just a polygraph by itself.
                  I agree with you , but realistically 12000 applicants can't all be hired. And the mechanics to legally weed people out include poly,background,vbt. Etc. If you think that's horrible try going through the process with port authority. There medical test fails perfectly healthy individuals.

Comment

A quick question for those who are current CBPOs. I'm really looking forward to making the transition into federal law enforcement from my current career, however, I am going to take a pay hit due to the time I have in my current profession. My current net salary is roughly $54,000. My question is, how long am I looking at before I will be back up to that pay level as a CBPO, taking into account base pay, overtime, and any other differential pay? I'm starting to make financial plans now to do the proverbial belt tightening, and I just want to know, realistically, what kind of time scale I'm looking at before I'm back into the same pay range.

I live in El Paso and applied for the Southwest region (fingers crossed to get a port in El Paso or somewhere nearby).

Application- 2/19/2015
                    TSL - 4/30/2015
                    SF86/eQip - 5/26/2015
                    Use this link, find your locality pay at whatever grade they deemed your competitive for.
                    https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...eral-schedule/

I would NOT factor in overtime. Overtime is nice, but it's inconsistent, varies port to port, and generally does not apply when it comes to training. Your first year in this position is mostly training.

Good luck.

Comment

• So they changed my Class from 384 to 385, only like a 4 day difference before leaving to FLETC ,has this happened to any of you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shadowtrain View Post
                        Use this link, find your locality pay at whatever grade they deemed your competitive for.
                        https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...eral-schedule/

I would NOT factor in overtime. Overtime is nice, but it's inconsistent, varies port to port, and generally does not apply when it comes to training. Your first year in this position is mostly training.

Good luck.
                        *Looks at the pay chart for San Francisco*

Ouch...it's a good thing I'm single then.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShangDoh View Post
                          *Looks at the pay chart for San Francisco*

Ouch...it's a good thing I'm single then.
                          I agree. I'm gs5 in New York. Never been more happy to be single!

Comment

• Anybody know how long the polygraph and VBT/SI are valid for? I am currently in pre academy and looking to reapply to be rated at a higher pay grade.

Comment

Application- 2/19/2015
                              TSL - 4/30/2015
                              SF86/eQip - 5/26/2015
                              54K in net pay?

It may take many years. Depending on what's offered for shifts and overtime and how much is deducted from your pay.

Lots of GS12s with high deductions won't see 54K in take home pay.

Comment

• Double post
                                Last edited by merlin436; 06-07-2015, 06:27 PM. Reason: double post

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10140 users online. 480 members and 9660 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X