300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pastelon View Post
    I don't know if this has been covered before.. but what happens if OFO calls me when I'm at the BP academy? I applied to both announcements and will take the first one that calls me, but my heart is with OFO. Would BP let me finish and then go to OFO? Anyone knows how this works?
    You'll need to tell your lead instructor at the academy. If he's nice, he'll in return bust your balls and call you a fairy for wanting to join OFO. Then he'll work with you if you are a squared away trainee so you can get your drug screen and pft2 done. It will cost you a few memos though.

If OFO does call, there is really no point in finishing the academy. Do you really want to stick around a month or two with PT instructors knowing you are leaving? Just take the job and get started with OFO academy and move on with it.
    Last edited by CZ_Kid; 05-12-2015, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JKWolfe View Post
      Well I just got my polygraph appointment for May 28th and Im about as excited as can be... Ive read all the horror stories on here and other sites and hope I don't end up with one to tell myself. Wish me luck!
      When did you take your vbt? I am still waiting for poly.

Comment

• Originally posted by CZ_Kid View Post
        You'll need to tell your lead instructor at the academy. If he's nice, he'll in return bust your balls and call you a fairy for wanting to join OFO. Then he'll work with you if you are a squared away trainee so you can get your drug screen and pft2 done. It will cost you a few memos though.

If OFO does call, there is really no point in finishing the academy. Do you really want to stick around a month or two with PT instructors knowing you are leaving? Just take the job and get started with OFO academy and move on with it.
        If nothing else, having multiple academies under one's belt is a heck of a resume builder. I'd advise completing the BP academy for that reason. ..among others.

Promoting, working in HQ, FLETC positions, pre-clearance, CSI, etc.
        There's a fair amount of positions and situations where having an additional academy might be of benefit.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
          If nothing else, having multiple academies under one's belt is a heck of a resume builder. I'd advise completing the BP academy for that reason. ..among others.

There's a fair amount of positions and situations where having an additional academy might be of benefit.
          This is all true. Not to mention BP academy is fun as heck. Especially when it comes to drivers training, advanced firearms training and all of the scenarios. That said, I know the Border Patrol and the academy. I know the egos and pride carried around by the instructors there. If you are mentally and physically ready for things to be turned up a notch on you, then by all means use the Border Patrol academy and their instructors as a resume builder.
          Last edited by CZ_Kid; 05-13-2015, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CZ_Kid View Post

Fair answer but I'm very ready for the challenge, I don't mind them calling me a fairy for wanting to be closer to home. I just wanted to see if it was possible to finish them both or if they would get jealous and "kick" me out to OFO. I am all out for learning new stuff. Are you coming from BP? Thank you for your sincerity and for your help.

Pardon my ignorance but What are those memos for? Why
            Last edited by Pastelon; 05-13-2015, 09:23 AM. Reason: Added stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post

Hmm, Thank you for the advise Merlin. Your help is greatly appreciated. Definitely will attempt and finish both academies if possible even if it means almost a half a year or more in training. From what I have read BP seems more physically demanding? And OFO more academically challenging?

Comment

• Anybody know the proper sit up form? Trying to make sure I have been doing it right. The break down on cbp site is a bit confusing to me

Comment

Fair answer but I'm very ready for the challenge, I don't mind them calling me a fairy for wanting to be closer to home. I just wanted to see if it was possible to finish them both or if they would get jealous and "kick" me out to OFO. I am all out for learning new stuff. Are you coming from BP? Thank you for your sincerity and for your help.

Pardon my ignorance but What are those memos for? Why
                  No one is going to be getting jealous and much less kicking you out. Like I said, some will bust your balls but mostly out of fun. You should expect this anyway as this is academy life pretty much everywhere and why you always hear the term "thick skin". You'll be the one making the final decision on the outcome. Like I said, BP academy is awesome if you can get through PT and ignore all the yelling and mind games. With the name Pastelon, I assume you are Puerto Rican and speak Spanish so you won't need to stick around for the Spanish.

Just curious, did you notice a difference during your oral interview for BP and OFO? Not the questions, I know they are completely different, but the actual environment, attitude and demeanor of both panels?

Comment

Hmm, Thank you for the advise Merlin. Your help is greatly appreciated. Definitely will attempt and finish both academies if possible even if it means almost a half a year or more in training. From what I have read BP seems more physically demanding? And OFO more academically challenging?
                    I would say that the general consensus from what I've seen is that the current academies tend to run with the BP academy more physically challenging .and the academics being more challenging with the CBPOBT Academy.

Having said that there is no universal agreement in the comparison of the two and, as far as I know, there is no official, agency sponsored comprehensive comparison of the two academies. Everybody seems to have their own opinions.

Plus, the ease or difficulties of any academy is largely influenced by the instructional staff and agency needs. With a more strict and demanding instructor complement and an agency that's not pressed to graduate as many as possible, things usually get more expansive and difficult. Lax instructors and an agency pressed to put bodies in the ports tend to produce minimalistic academy experiences.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thecldriver View Post
                      Anybody know the proper sit up form? Trying to make sure I have been doing it right. The break down on cbp site is a bit confusing to me
                      X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by pinarsu View Post
                        When did you take your vbt? I am still waiting for poly.

I took my VBT on March 25,2015 I just got my email this Tuesday telling me my poly appointment was scheduled. I actually almost deleted it since it was in my junk mail.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pisan917 View Post
                          X2

Except for placement of hands I believe most agencies use the same form. Butt stays on floor, elbows must come up to knees, and shoulder blades must touch floor when going back. No swinging for momentum. It's pretty straight forward, at least for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by dkman View Post
                            Except for placement of hands I believe most agencies use the same form. Butt stays on floor, elbows must come up to knees, and shoulder blades must touch floor when going back. No swinging for momentum. It's pretty straight forward, at least for me.
                            Great, I'm tall and wasn't sure if my elbows touching my knees would count being that my arms are soo long. I've been doing it with my elbows passing my knees on the side and this way is way tougher than just elbows touching knees. -relieved

Comment

• Originally posted by Thecldriver View Post
                              Great, I'm tall and wasn't sure if my elbows touching my knees would count being that my arms are soo long. I've been doing it with my elbows passing my knees on the side and this way is way tougher than just elbows touching knees. -relieved
                              That's the only part I'm unsure about but the proctors should show the correct form before. I'd just practice what ever is harder so the test will be easier.

Comment

• Thnks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5037 users online. 227 members and 4810 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X