300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dkman View Post
    They only retest if inconclusive, not if you fail. That goes for every agency.
    But why not give us the option to appeal?
    Written: 04/28/09

Comment

They only retest if inconclusive, not if you fail. That goes for every agency.
      Yeah, I am pretty sure they just came to the conclusion that I was straight up lying about drugs. He was saying that it was showing it everytime I answered the drug question.

Oh well, it is what it is. It sucks, it's out of my control, it is just a shame.

I know the agency is looking to save money so they do the poly before they really start the in depth background.

But the way they do it, they should just hook you up to the machine before you take the written test to save you a lot of time and money.
      Florida/Caribbean 14-2 -- GS-07

07/14 Applied to Florida/Caribbean 14-2
      08/14 Notified: qualification to take exam
      09/13/14 Written exam
      10/31/14 NOR 100 (No Vet Points)
      1/9/15 Notice of TS / Grade:GS-07
      2/4/15 Physical Exam and PFT1 PASSED
      2/6/15 Background Released to IA
      2/18/15 VBT/SI (Tampa) PASSED
      4/14/15 Polygraph (Tampa)
      4/30/15 Notified of unsuitable polygraph and removed from consideration

Comment

• Closes tomorrow USSS(UD) https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewD...00?share=email

Comment

• Originally posted by handsom4life View Post
          Good luck with that. I didn't pass their interview it is hard for someone with my work experience to answer the questions . Also, their polygraph is more intense than most so everyone complaining about CBP here, USSS is 6-8 hrs I believe. But don't give up apply everywhere if you want it bad enough

Comment

• Originally posted by handsom4life View Post
            Man I'm tempted but with the CBP and other Agencies I'm already processing through, I don't think I have the spare cash to devote to another convoluted and long hiring process.

Comment

• My condolences to the folks who failed their polygraphs...I posted earlier that mine was inconclusive but I've got to think about it if I should take it again. Frankly I'll do it again if it's a little closer and I can get a different examiner. You can read all you want about the polygraph on these forums/elsewhere but you really only appreciate how dumb they are once you actually take it. It seems to me the only thing a polygraph tests is how well you take a polygraph...
              CBPO 14-3 Central East Coast Region

Applied 10/3/14
              Exam 12/6/14
              NOR 1/12/15 (Passed, 90)
              TS 1/23/15
              Medical/PFT1 3/12/15 (Passed PFT)
              TSL Packet Received 3/20/15 Submitted 3/25/15
              VBT/SI 4/6/15 (Passed)
              TSL "In security office" 4/8/15
              Polygraph Inconclusive 4/27/15
              Second Polygraph awaiting the wrath (or mercy!) of QC 5/27/15
              Removed from consideration due to "unfavorable polygraph" 7/9/15

Comment

• Alright. I'm going to give my opinion. First, don't make it seem as if everyone who has failed a polygraph is a saint. There is a reason it's in place. These federal agencies give people the authority to conduct searches of almost everything, make arrests, protect some of the most important buildings and people in the world, and have access to systems that contain information necessary to the security of this nation. We aren't working at McDonald's. It has been known for certain agencies that groups of gangs and terrorists could send people in to apply to get into an agency. A lot more people lie than you would believe. I'm not saying it's perfect but there are no other options. How would you feel if they just took everyone's word on applications as truth. I wouldn't trust the people I was working with. I pray that the backgrounds are intense and thorough so I know who is watching my back with me when out in the field. You all may not like it but it won't change. So deal with it move on and keep applying. I'm just trying to show you that we need to look at it from a different perspective.

Comment

Good luck with that. I didn't pass their interview it is hard for someone with my work experience to answer the questions . Also, their polygraph is more intense than most so everyone complaining about CBP here, USSS is 6-8 hrs I believe. But don't give up apply everywhere if you want it bad enough
                  What is your work experience?

Comment

• Originally posted by Precious539 View Post
                    What is your work experience?
                    I won't say exactly but I've worked along side law enforcement, courts and security in a bunch of different positions. I'm only 24 but have been proactive in field for a while. I have never been a fully certified officer or have had a full time position which I think would have help in the interview no matter the field, didn't have to be law enforcement.

Comment

I just lifted my deferment today. She said my name goes back into list and when it pops up for geo I'll get a call. There is still pft 2 and pre Academy. I doubt you would be in that Academy but it's not impossible. I think there's one a few weeks after
                      There's something like 12 classes scheduled between the beginning of June and the middle of July. Another 12 or so scheduled from the middle of July until the end of Spetember.

You shouldn't want for company while you enjoy your 89 training days in warm, sunny Glynco, GA.

Comment

• Just received a tentative officer selection email! I applied 15-1 central east cost, I never got a notice of results for the exam. Just got the email now

"This notice is to inform you that you have been tentatively selected to begin the pre-employment process for the position of Customs and Border Protection Officer, with the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)"

Excited but nervous!
                        USSS Uniformed Division
                        04/30/15 Applied to Announcement
                        06/18/15 Received Notice To Take POST Exam
                        06/22/15 POST Exam
                        07/02/15 Passed POST
                        07/17/15 SUPER Interview
                        09/03/15 COE

Comment

Alright. I'm going to give my opinion. First, don't make it seem as if everyone who has failed a polygraph is a saint. There is a reason it's in place. These federal agencies give people the authority to conduct searches of almost everything, make arrests, protect some of the most important buildings and people in the world, and have access to systems that contain information necessary to the security of this nation. We aren't working at McDonald's. It has been known for certain agencies that groups of gangs and terrorists could send people in to apply to get into an agency. A lot more people lie than you would believe. I'm not saying it's perfect but there are no other options. How would you feel if they just took everyone's word on applications as truth. I wouldn't trust the people I was working with. I pray that the backgrounds are intense and thorough so I know who is watching my back with me when out in the field. You all may not like it but it won't change. So deal with it move on and keep applying. I'm just trying to show you that we need to look at it from a different perspective.
                          a) A thorough background investigation should be enough. If someone is lying out their teeth, whether it's about past drug use, criminal history, or the fact that they're in a terrorist organisation, there will be concrete evidence of those lies, or at the very least, inconsistencies in the applicant's background throughout the background investigation (i.e., interviewing people, visiting places of employment, etc.).

b) There are plenty of agencies, whether on the federal level, the state level, or the local level, that do not use polygraphs. Are you saying that people who work for those agencies are to be trusted less than those who work for agencies that use the poly?

You're right, the polygraph is a reality for many who want to work in law enforcement, and in some agencies, there's no getting around it. That doesn't mean applicants have to like it or agree with it. All people can do is be as honest as possible, but it does suck when honest people get caught up in the polygraph stages, then DQ'd from the polygraph results alone (as in, they spiked on a question or two, but investigators found no corroborating evidence to back up the poly results). Honest people get DQ'd by polygraphs and liars pass polygraphs. They might weed out a lot of people, but some of those people are truthful.

Again, plenty of agencies do fine without the polygraph.

Anyway, I just got my "referred" notification for 15-1. It's my first ever referral with the feds, so that's cool!

Comment

• Don't get me wrong. Polygraphs do serve a useful purpose. But not as a security blanket during pre-employment screening.

I have now had 4 law enforcement employment polys. Passed two and failed two. Basically they were all administered the same way. At least in my case it is now officially the flip of a coin.

What I DON'T agree with, is using the poly as the first line of defense. It should be used in conjunction with a thorough background investigation. Take my case for example. The thing tripping me up was supposed drug use that I was hiding. Looking at my employment history you could be fairly certain that I have abstained from drug use. Everything I have done in the last 15 years requires drug screening. I was military, law enforcement, and even a truck driver (DOT drug tests).

Everyone knows that it's okay to have experimented with drugs in the past within reason. Why would someone lie about having tried a drug a few more times than they have (or at all)? What would they have to gain? Obviously someone would try to hide the fact that they have done a lot of drugs. But, if you look into someones background, you would realize that some people would not have been able to get through 15 years of drug screens if they were heavy drug users anyways. So that would be a reason to question the results of a machine. There is a reason why all machines have human backups. They are not completely infallible.

Now things like undetected serious crimes or treasonous activity could be a little more complicated. I also think it is more in line with what agencies should be looking for. A person who tried pot as a teenager would not be a national security risk today. But someone who has committed felonies which were not uncovered could be. Again though, the poly should not be the ONLY way to try to find this out. Do backgrounds! Call people. Do some legwork. Then use your investigative experience to make a determination of if you have reasonable suspicion or probable cause. That's how LEO's work on the streets. I never had a polygraph machine in my cruiser. I had to investigate, read people and then decide.

The highest offices in this government do not require polygraphs for employment. Elected officials are vetted by the electorate and the media. Secretaries, federal judges, and cabinet members are vetted by a background investigation and congressional hearings. Why should the same rules for a CBP candidate not apply to these people (including the DHS director)? Maybe they should hook these people up to a polygraph without the benefit of the human investigation beforehand. I would bet (like CBP) at least 60% of those people wouldn't get their positions either. But as usual, those who make the rules usually don't subject themselves to the same rules.

I don't mind polys being used as part of a background. But they should not be used to determine if a candidate is 'suitable' to move on to a real human investigation.
                            Florida/Caribbean 14-2 -- GS-07

07/14 Applied to Florida/Caribbean 14-2
                            08/14 Notified: qualification to take exam
                            09/13/14 Written exam
                            10/31/14 NOR 100 (No Vet Points)
                            1/9/15 Notice of TS / Grade:GS-07
                            2/4/15 Physical Exam and PFT1 PASSED
                            2/6/15 Background Released to IA
                            2/18/15 VBT/SI (Tampa) PASSED
                            4/14/15 Polygraph (Tampa)
                            4/30/15 Notified of unsuitable polygraph and removed from consideration

Comment

• Originally the poly was random for both CBP and BP and I think this was a helpful filter to discourage a lot of scum from applying combined with a thorough background investigation. It's no secrete, both of these agencies have been embarrassed by idiots committing idiotic crimes. I'm kinda glad they are trying to get things right because the last thing I'd want is to be out in some remote area with a corrupt Officer or Agent. But are they going about it the right way is the question? Open this link and read case after case of corruption:

http://bordercorruption.apps.cironline.org/

Some will say other agencies hire without administering a polygraph which is correct but few hire thousands and thousands of Officers/Agents each year. I believe DHS became desperate, hired enough examiners so to make the exam 100% applicable and now relay mostly on these results. I feel this is a mistake like most people do. I believe it should be implemented to keep rift raft from applying but results should be reviewed and investigated by the actual background investigator and not solely left up to a machine and the few people reviewing these results.

Just my thoughts on the whole process....

Comment

I won't say exactly but I've worked along side law enforcement, courts and security in a bunch of different positions. I'm only 24 but have been proactive in field for a while. I have never been a fully certified officer or have had a full time position which I think would have help in the interview no matter the field, didn't have to be law enforcement.
                                O Ok, you never know with those panel interviews.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7444 users online. 369 members and 7075 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X