Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been wanting to ask this for a while but did not want to get ahead of myself. Does anyone know if CBP has a post-academy program similar to Border Patrol's? Basically with BP, after graduation, you have "post-academy" once a week with other recently graduated Agents. You pretty much go over everything you learned while at FLETC and it runs about 3 months. During these 3 months, you are tested and it's a requirement you pass all the tests just as you would at FLETC. You are given 2 retest but only one retest per test. If you burn these up, you are done. There is not an appeal process or anything, you are simply done. They will even require you to hand over your weapon prior the retest in the event you fail. Pretty hard core I know but that's life. I personally witnessed this happen to an individual who did not take post-academy seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by CZ_Kid View Post
      I've been wanting to ask this for a while but did not want to get ahead of myself. Does anyone know if CBP has a post-academy program similar to Border Patrol's? Basically with BP, after graduation, you have "post-academy" once a week with other recently graduated Agents. You pretty much go over everything you learned while at FLETC and it runs about 3 months. During these 3 months, you are tested and it's a requirement you pass all the tests just as you would at FLETC. You are given 2 retest but only one retest per test. If you burn these up, you are done. There is not an appeal process or anything, you are simply done. They will even require you to hand over your weapon prior the retest in the event you fail. Pretty hard core I know but that's life. I personally witnessed this happen to an individual who did not take post-academy seriously.
      Having done both (though the BP post academy was a while back!), I can tell you they aren't similar at all. The CBP post academy program "officially" runs until two weeks past your 1 year date if I recall the timeline blurb correctly. There are three different courses geared towards the type of port you're assigned to, e.g. land border, seaport, airport/seaport. The last course isn't a combination containing the second. The seaport course covers cargo training while the airport/seaport course is immigration focused. The seaport part of the airport/seaport title is aimed at large cruise ship type ports like Miami.

While it is officially a pass/fail course again, it's in no way similar to BP. Unlike the BP (where you're out the door if you fail), If you fail the CBP course you're basically given a remedial due to the fact you've already passed your 1 year. Depending on your port, be prepared for death by power point even worse than the academy. All three courses contain the same subjects for the first seven or eight lessons. After that they diverge into more specific topics relating to the title. Be prepared to rehash MUCH of the same exact material you just finished studying at the academy! Many of the really busy ports want your behind on the line, not sitting in a class room.

Comment

• Any type law enforcement training is hard. As long as you put your mind in to it, you can do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by 66Pony View Post
          Having done both (though the BP post academy was a while back!), I can tell you they aren't similar at all. The CBP post academy program "officially" runs until two weeks past your 1 year date if I recall the timeline blurb correctly. There are three different courses geared towards the type of port you're assigned to, e.g. land border, seaport, airport/seaport. The last course isn't a combination containing the second. The seaport course covers cargo training while the airport/seaport course is immigration focused. The seaport part of the airport/seaport title is aimed at large cruise ship type ports like Miami.

While it is officially a pass/fail course again, it's in no way similar to BP. Unlike the BP (where you're out the door if you fail), If you fail the CBP course you're basically given a remedial due to the fact you've already passed your 1 year. Depending on your port, be prepared for death by power point even worse than the academy. All three courses contain the same subjects for the first seven or eight lessons. After that they diverge into more specific topics relating to the title. Be prepared to rehash MUCH of the same exact material you just finished studying at the academy! Many of the really busy ports want your behind on the line, not sitting in a class room.
          Good information. Thank you.

Comment

• Anyone know where I can find the locations for PFT 2?

Comment

• Had my PFT 2 the other day. 2 guys failed the sit-ups and one female failed the pushups. Do yourselves a favor and work on these before you arrive!

Comment

• What order did they do the pft2 in? do you get a little break in between? at least a minute or two? I'm sure I'll pass. I just did 20 pushups in less than 30 seconds. Where in west virginia did you exactly go? I wish there was a way to know exactly where your going to be taking the pft2 to plan ahead. I'm from NYC and want to know the closest location for the pft2. I chose Miami but now i'm thinking to myself, Cost of a flight and cab and maybe hotel... Any help here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rapiyiyi View Post
                  What order did they do the pft2 in? do you get a little break in between? at least a minute or two? I'm sure I'll pass. I just did 20 pushups in less than 30 seconds. Where in west virginia did you exactly go? I wish there was a way to know exactly where your going to be taking the pft2 to plan ahead. I'm from NYC and want to know the closest location for the pft2. I chose Miami but now i'm thinking to myself, Cost of a flight and cab and maybe hotel... Any help here?
                  I Think you have to go wherever you selected when you applied. Least for 13-1, we had to selet where to take the pft2 if I remember correctly.
                  Geo- Florida
                  CBPO Exam- 9/25/13
                  NOR- 98 10/25/13
                  Qual- GS 7
                  TSL- 2/28/14
                  PFT1/Medical- 3/12/14
                  VBT/SI- 5/9/14
                  VBT/SI- eligible 5/14/14
                  BI E-QIP received- 10/03/14
                  BI E-QIP submitted- 10/06/14
                  BI E-QIP in Security Office- 01/06/15

Comment

• Quick, have any of you taken VBT and had your Structured Interview on a different day?
                    DC MPD

1/18 Orientation
                    2/1 Written Exam (Baltimore)

US Customs, CBPO Officer

Pending (April)

Comment

• Hey all, I'm looking for some advice. I'm a 14-1 east Texas applicant. I have been through the entire process aside from pft2. I am aware that East Texas is seeing very few vacancies and I am considering reapplying to the next announcement to pick a new region. I know it is a gamble to reapply because they don't know where there will be vacancies down the road, but since I am willing to go anywhere, I think I should give it a shot to get to a location quicker. HR is being less than forthcoming about locations they think will see the most need. I'm sure they just don't want to influence me with information that could change, but I was hoping some of you might have an idea of what regions tend to need applicants the most. Ive seen alot about SWB and Central east, but what about the others. Anyone know anything about northwest or midwest. Right now I am assuming SWB would be my best bet. Anyone have any infor or advice to help me figure this out?
                      Geo: Reapplied to El Paso under 15-2
                      Tested: 6/2/2014
                      NOR: 7/14/14 (98)
                      Tentative Select: 8/2/14
                      Medical: 8/26/14 green check 12/9/14
                      PFT1: 9/3/14 green check 9/11/14
                      VBT & SI: 9/24/14 green check 9/30/14
                      Polygraph: 12/9/14 passed, waiting on QC
                      Sit down with BI: 01/2015
                      Background finished: 02/2015
                      Background Cleared: CASS Referred for scheduling 3/5/2015
                      Drug Test: Scheduled for 3/5/2015
                      Provisional Clearance: 8/7/2015
                      The Call:
                      EOD:

Comment

What order did they do the pft2 in? do you get a little break in between? at least a minute or two? I'm sure I'll pass. I just did 20 pushups in less than 30 seconds. Where in west virginia did you exactly go? I wish there was a way to know exactly where your going to be taking the pft2 to plan ahead. I'm from NYC and want to know the closest location for the pft2. I chose Miami but now i'm thinking to myself, Cost of a flight and cab and maybe hotel... Any help here?

The order was: Sprint, Situps, Pushups, Run. And yes, there was ample break in between.

I was in Harpers Ferry. I know there is another location in Plattsburg, NY. I had the option to select where I wanted to take my PT test when I initially applied on USA jobs.

Id call them up, and Im sure they will be able to change your location.

Comment

• I'm going to harpers ferry on tuesday. I should be good. Tomorrow i'm going to time myself at full speed doing the 220 yard dash just so i know i know how to pace myself. I know i wont have a problem with the 1.5 mile because i do a mile in ablut 8-9 minutes. Do they let you wear a watch?

Comment

• I am going to get my medical and first pt done tomorrow. Did you have different out fit for medical? Or you wear samething for both.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinarsu View Post
                              I am going to get my medical and first pt done tomorrow. Did you have different out fit for medical? Or you wear samething for both.
                              ^ Same thing for both. I went in for medical with sweats and a comfy shirt. after passing medical, i went down the block for the pt, same outfit. good luck! too easy. don't overthink the step test.

Comment

I'm going to harpers ferry on tuesday. I should be good. Tomorrow i'm going to time myself at full speed doing the 220 yard dash just so i know i know how to pace myself. I know i wont have a problem with the 1.5 mile because i do a mile in ablut 8-9 minutes. Do they let you wear a watch?
                                I'd practice the whole test all together with minimal breaks. You might be surprised how tired you get after each exercise going into the 1.5 mile run. It's better to be over prepared than under.

Also, everybody should NOT be training to simply pass the PFT2. At minimum, you should be training to pass the academy standards as they are a little harder (although still within very reasonable limits). If you are just squeaking by and passing the PFT2 times, you may have a miserable time at FLETC. Remember, even if you get the job after passing PFT2, there are still people that fail out of FLETC and all of this would have been for nothing.
                                Geo: West Coast
                                Applicant Group: 13-1
                                NOR: 10/28/13 85%
                                TSL: 12/16/13
                                PFT1/Medical: ~1/10/14
                                eQIP completed: 2/13/14
                                VBT/SI: 3/17/14
                                eQIP to IA: 3/19/14
                                Poly: 10/22/14 (inconclusive) / 12/4/14 (passed)
                                Meet with BI: 12/19/14 - 01/07/15 (met him 3 times)
                                Clear BI: 2/24/15
                                Drug Test: 3/4/15
                                The Call: 3/2/15
                                PFT2: 3/18/15
                                EOD: 3/30/15

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4226 users online. 183 members and 4043 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X