Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone applying for the Pacific Region?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike924 View Post
      My other option I am working on is getting back into the Army. Since it's been over 3 years I have to do Basic Training again. It was "fun" enough the first time.

Though I also did a police academy too.

I have a feeling a decent amount of people don't do CBP as their first academy or military training.
      But from what I hear, CBP academies are pretty light.
      Hopefully CBP will be my first academy, and I'm not shying away from it lol, I will embrace it. It's just that if I get selected for the BPA position first doing a back to back academy is gonna be tough haha since I prefer the OFO gig

Comment

Pretty much a prerequisite in any LEO or military kind of work.
        I thought that people who came in from other agencies with LEO experience didn't need to go through academy because they already had LEO experience

Comment

• Originally posted by dwl109 View Post
          VBT/SI next monday. any advice? thanks guys
          Just be yourself, use everything that you have learned through your life, be professional, breathe and relax, use common sense is the best advice I believe I can give you, hope it helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pastelon View Post
            I thought that people who came in from other agencies with LEO experience didn't need to go through academy because they already had LEO experience
            Doubtful. I paid my way through a police academy in Florida, and worked as a municipal LEO in Florida. The only federal stuff they went over was how the Constitution applies to civilian rights in regards to interactions with law enforcement and due process.

The majority of a law enforcement academy is learning the laws, rules, and regulations which you will be enforcing and living by. So, there is almost no correlation between what I learned at my state academy and what I would learn at a federal academy. There is even differences in how DT's are learned and what moves are supposed to be used.

If I wanted to be a local LEO in a different state, some states offer cross over academies which basically teach you local laws and regs. Some states (I looked into transferring to Texas State Police) require you to complete their entire 6 month academy no matter what.

Even here in Florida if you are a certified LEO like I am, if I wanted to become a State Trooper (and basically only write traffic citations, do crash investigations, and DWI's) I would have to do the second half of their 6 month program. There is nothing they could teach me that I didn't learn in my local academy, but they want to make sure you know how to do it all THEIR way I guess.

No two agencies are the same. Even after a state academy, you spend weeks learning local policy before you hit the streets for your FTO program at the agency that hires you. That also includes if you lateral from another local agency.
            Florida/Caribbean 14-2 -- GS-07

07/14 Applied to Florida/Caribbean 14-2
            08/14 Notified: qualification to take exam
            09/13/14 Written exam
            10/31/14 NOR 100 (No Vet Points)
            1/9/15 Notice of TS / Grade:GS-07
            2/4/15 Physical Exam and PFT1 PASSED
            2/6/15 Background Released to IA
            2/18/15 VBT/SI (Tampa) PASSED
            4/14/15 Polygraph (Tampa)
            4/30/15 Notified of unsuitable polygraph and removed from consideration

Comment

Hopefully CBP will be my first academy, and I'm not shying away from it lol, I will embrace it. It's just that if I get selected for the BPA position first doing a back to back academy is gonna be tough haha since I prefer the OFO gig
              From what I understand, the OFO academy would be a decent warm up for the BP academy.

09/13/14 Written exam

Comment

• Originally posted by dwl109 View Post
                VBT/SI next monday. any advice? thanks guys
                Don't be overly aggressive. Pretty sure you want to use the 'kill em with kindness' approach. That's what I used, and it apparently worked.

09/13/14 Written exam

Comment

From what I understand, the OFO academy would be a decent warm up for the BP academy.
                  If one limits the conversation to present day academies the answer that usually pops up is that the CBPO academy is more difficult academically and the BPA academy is more physically challenging.

What the truth is...I do not know. I've looked repeatedly over the years for something, official or otherwise, that attempts to make an honest comparison between the two academies. Every time the search has come up empty.

What is pretty clear is that the BP academy is much shorter than the CBPO academy. 62 training days vs 89 training days....not counting Spanish training. If Spanish training is required, it's 40 additional training days for BP and 30 additional training days for OFO.

Comment

Wow two academies doesn't sound very fun hahaha
                    It's an excellent resume builder to have both the OBP and OFO Academies under your belt.

If and when 5-10-15 years down the road a person applies for a move into a competitive spot like instructing at the academy or HQ duties. ..things like having attended dual academies can be game changers.

Comment

• Thank you for all the info guys mike and merlin. You guys rock. Haven't seen it that way, but you guys have made me change my perspective, if 2 academies it is, bring it.

Comment

• Has anyone ever failed poly, reapplied and got picked up?

Comment

• just got the email that I passed my VBT. Also, they are doing digital finger prints now, no more cards (should cut 4-6 weeks off the process). I did my finger prints right after my vbt/si at the FO.

Did anyone mail their signed docs in? I sent them to MHC so i hope that was right. My scanner or fax wouldn't work

Comment

Don't be overly aggressive. Pretty sure you want to use the 'kill em with kindness' approach. That's what I used, and it apparently worked.
                            Apply that logic and you're golden. That's great answer. Just think customer service

Comment

• Newer applicants, open your CASS and look over newsletter. Some good info.

Dear Customs and Border Protection Officer Applicant,

We would like to invite you to read the current Customs and Border Protection Officer applicant newsletter. It is designed to:

- answer questions you may have about the hiring process,
                              - provide you with current updates and changes to the process, and
                              - share stories about the work our current CBP officers perform daily.

Comment

• Do you guys know if they count center line touch or cross on side step test? I know they count the outside lines.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6326 users online. 348 members and 5978 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X