Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by bronze01 View Post
    Don't think so because I took mine here and geo pref is Washington State - All Other Locations.

    Good question!
    Well I'm in Sacramento and my geo pref is San Diego. I took my written test in SF too, so here's hoping.

    Then again, I guess I should be scheduled by now if it's coming up in the next three weeks?
    "Officer, you are kinda hot."

    "And you are kinda intoxicated."

    Comment


    • The VBT is not a difficult thing to pass, there is no prep for it and its very straightforward. Use common sense and you will pass without a hitch. Its actually one of the more entertaining steps of this whole process. Enjoy it, learn from it, and dont be nervous. Above all, BE PROFESSIONAL. I cannot stress that enough.

      Comment


      • Just got my VBT scheduled at Ft. Snelling for Nov. 3rd.

        Comment


        • I was just notified that my VBT scheduling letter was sent TODAY. Nov 13th at SFO. Good luck to everyone on the VBT!
          "Officer, you are kinda hot."

          "And you are kinda intoxicated."

          Comment


          • Vbt

            Should I be worried that I haven't been scheduled for the VBT yet because some of you guys have a similar time line. I tested on Aug 21, TO on Sept 23, Medical/Fitness Oct. 14.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by s0lid snake View Post
              Should I be worried that I haven't been scheduled for the VBT yet because some of you guys have a similar time line. I tested on Aug 21, TO on Sept 23, Medical/Fitness Oct. 14.
              It seems to me that the VBT rounds are really just starting more than anything. You have similar timeline to all of the other August testers. I'd say you're closer than you think at this point. Don't take my word for it though, all you can do is prep yourself for academy and bide your time.
              "Officer, you are kinda hot."

              "And you are kinda intoxicated."

              Comment


              • Originally posted by s0lid snake View Post
                Should I be worried that I haven't been scheduled for the VBT yet because some of you guys have a similar time line. I tested on Aug 21, TO on Sept 23, Medical/Fitness Oct. 14.
                Not to worry there seems to be no particular order for these things. All though i will say that it was my understanding that you cant contiue the process if you dont pass the VBT. For me it was the first step after my t.o.

                Comment


                • I remember reading that a good number of CBPO's jumped over to ICE when the agencies split b/c ICE pays more/has a high journeyman pay cap. Then when CBPO's got LEO status a bunch of ICE staff were trying to switch to CBP to take advantage of the retirement status.

                  Based on that I always assumed that agency hopping is possible once you finish your probation period. I realize that using logic to assume things about how the Feds work can be dangerous. But at least in the case of ICE and BP there seems to be a decent amount of opportunity to change agency.

                  Comment


                  • Is there any comparison (as far as difficulty, types of questions) between the CBPO test and the Treasury Enforcement Test?

                    Comment


                    • After almost a year of being in the processing phase for CBPO and daily reading of this forum, I have enjoyed the many informative conversations, learned from inciteful answers to questions, and gremaced at the sophomoric bickerings of some. I write now to offer any helpful information I can. All that I ask is that questions whose answers may contain what is to be considered confidential information and not discussed in an open public forum be directed to me at my email address.

                      I started in law enforcemnent at the age of 21 with the Denver police department. After five years I left to join the Marine Corps (not an MP). I am a Gulf War/Somalia veteran. After my full contract was up I was recruited by the Border Patrol and was an agent for a short amount of time before leaving to work for the then Federal Emergency Agency/pre 911 and currently FEMA under DHS. Helping a friend with no LE background apply for a a CBP aouncement in October of 07, I found myself caught up in the application process as well.

                      I applied on line in Montana for a Montana GEO in October 07. Took the written test in November of 07. Received a TO for GS7 Montana with a score of 104 (with veteran's preference) in December 07. Passed the VBT in January 08. Took the physical/fittness test in March of 08. Met with by BI in April 08. I received 5 medical NOPAs; vision, hearing, abnormal ECG, neurology, and otrhopedics. I was able to be seen by specialists within the VA system as well as the private sector within 60 days. I was cleared by all and my medical has been pending for three months.

                      The friend I applied and tested with is now in her 9th week at FLETC. I have a good friend who is now picking up his third class at the BP FLETC as a PT instructor GS11, and another very close friend, we were in the same BP academy class, who is now a GS12 ICE agent.

                      This is an outstanding forum for those starting out in the process and I have found the monitoring of discussions and the topics by current CBPOs to be exemplary. If I might offer any insight from my experiences or close relationships with other FLEOs and students please feel free to write me.

                      For those of you with no prior military or LE experience, come ino this with an open mind. For those of you claiming such backgrounds and the related traits remember to be patient and flexible.

                      Good luck to all of you. I keep up with postings on a daily basis.

                      RY

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Ry greve View Post
                        I applied on line in Montana for a Montana GEO in October 07. Took the written test in November of 07. Received a TO for GS7 Montana with a score of 104 (with veteran's preference) in December 07. Passed the VBT in January 08. Took the physical/fittness test in March of 08. Met with by BI in April 08. I received 5 medical NOPAs; vision, hearing, abnormal ECG, neurology, and otrhopedics. I was able to be seen by specialists within the VA system as well as the private sector within 60 days. I was cleared by all and my medical has been pending for three months.
                        5 NOPAs? Yowza! I think you got us all beat in that department my friend!

                        So you're still waiting to become cleared with medical? Have you talked to the medical unit and are they still just waiting on a final determination?
                        "Officer, you are kinda hot."

                        "And you are kinda intoxicated."

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by sap123 View Post
                          5 NOPAs? Yowza! I think you got us all beat in that department my friend!

                          So you're still waiting to become cleared with medical? Have you talked to the medical unit and are they still just waiting on a final determination?
                          Afirm. I am a 70% disabled vet, no different than when I went into BP. The difference this time is age. I was 37 then, I am 47 now.

                          As was the case with many posters here, the physical exam was not administered by specialists in the field. I was told I was going deaf in one ear, blind in one eye, the abnormal ECG was due to improper placement of electrodes. The neuro and ortho where the only legitimate claims. I broke my back in the Corps and have minor nerve issues from it but nothing preventing me from completing training and working the job as evidenced by being a BPA.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Ry greve View Post
                            Afirm. I am a 70% disabled vet, no different than when I went into BP. The difference this time is age. I was 37 then, I am 47 now.

                            As was the case with many posters here, the physical exam was not administered by specialists in the field. I was told I was going deaf in one ear, blind in one eye, the abnormal ECG was due to improper placement of electrodes. The neuro and ortho where the only legitimate claims. I broke my back in the Corps and have minor nerve issues from it but nothing preventing me from completing training and working the job as evidenced by being a BPA.
                            I feel you man, its funny how they send us to like the cheapest clinic they could find. Read my other post if you want to know how horrible my physical exam experience was. I knew right after the exam that there would be problems with my blood pressure and vision (had prk a week before the exam so eyes weren't healed all the way) and so I emailed the medical unit and they emailed back saying they will check into it and get back to me asap. Do you know what would happen next, should I be expecting a letter soon saying I need to go see a specialist?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by s0lid snake View Post
                              I feel you man, its funny how they send us to like the cheapest clinic they could find. Read my other post if you want to know how horrible my physical exam experience was. I knew right after the exam that there would be problems with my blood pressure and vision (had prk a week before the exam so eyes weren't healed all the way) and so I emailed the medical unit and they emailed back saying they will check into it and get back to me asap. Do you know what would happen next, should I be expecting a letter soon saying I need to go see a specialist?
                              I was reading your post and I am concerned now with my medical, which I took back on Oct 12. Everything was normal but I have a very low resting heart rate, roughly 40-45 bpm. I workout 6 days a week and watch my diet. The doctor noted that "abnormality" on my chart and sent it in to medical. I'm worried I might get one of those NOPA's everyone is discussing. I've never had any health problems in my life and I train for endurance as well as strength. I just took another physical for my current job (armed guard) and the doctor noted the same thing, although he didn't seem as taken back by it as the doctor for my CBPO medical. I was asked if I was a runner, which I am, but now I'm concerned this might hold me back or delay things, and I really don't want to fork over x amount of dollars to see a specialist just to tell me that nothing is wrong with me, especially in our current economic state. Anyone else have an abnormal EKG? How does DHS handle this, assuming the applicant is in otherwise sound health.

                              Thanks!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Hound77 View Post
                                Based on that I always assumed that agency hopping is possible once you finish your probation period. I realize that using logic to assume things about how the Feds work can be dangerous. But at least in the case of ICE and BP there seems to be a decent amount of opportunity to change agency.
                                You don't need to be off probation to change agencies. You don't sign a contract or anything so there is no way for the government to hold onto you. It makes sense if you think about it, the G doesn't want people protecting the country who don't want to be with that particular agency.
                                But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

                                For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 5887 users online. 336 members and 5551 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X