Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Montana, there are several ports of entry. Many are in the middle of nowhere.
    In the west, nestled in the middle of the Rockies is the port of Rooseville. Housing is high in the little town of Eureka and from what I am told, the locals make you feel unwanted if you weren't born there. It is 60 miles one way to Whitefish to do you shopping. The speed limit is 70 so you can do it in less than an hour.
    Just a tad east and on the western side of the indian reservation is the port of Piegan. Piegan has modular homes setup about a 100 yds from the port, but I think many were condemned just after they were built due to mold. I don't know if they have been cleaned out. This was a few years ago. Piegan is right on the Rocky mtn front with a wonderful view. Good shopping is 3 hrs away unless you run up to Cardston, Alberta. Food is high there and on the rez. The only school is on the rez just 10 miles south. Many employees fork over $5000/yr per child to send their kids to Carston for a real schooling.
    Moving more east and on the eastern edge of the reservation is Del Bonita. There is no housing locally and you must commute 40 miles one way to work unless you managed to con a local farmer out of some acreage and put a house on it. Speed limit is 70 so work is a tad over 30 minutes away. Shopping is high in cutbank. Good shopping is about 2 hrs away. Next is Sweetgrass. Sweetgrass like Rooseville is a 24hr port. Sweetgrass is located directly on I-15. There is gov't housing in Sweetgrass, but it is full and you will have to put your name on a waiting list. There are rentals and for sales just south at 7 miles and in another town at 35miles. Work is 30 minutes away. There is decent shopping in Shelby, but the better buys are a tad over 1hr away. Sweetgrass has a lot to due with many trucks and cars coming through. Unfortunately, the view of the mts is 80 miles away and you are surrounded by miles of nothing.
    Next is Whitlash. It is located on a dirt road with absolutely nothing to do. It is 9-5 and if you like watch tumble weed blow by, then this is the place for you. Cost effective shopping is only done in Shelby. Housing is over 40-60 miles away unless you buy some acreage.
    Next you have Turner, Wild horse, Willow Creek, and Morgan. They are day time only places in the middle of nowhere. Good shooping is about an hour or less in Havre. Unless you got some acreage and put a house on it, driving is about 40-60 miles one way to work. Maybe one of those has some housing. Just have to call them and find out.
    Next you have Raymond. It is a small 24hr port just north of Plentyville. You can do some shopping there, but good shopping is abt 3hrs away in Williston, ND. Has a few rental and homes for sale. Work is a few minutes away.
    Lastly is Greatfalls. It has a small airport. GF is 50k plus with all kinds of things to do. Crime is high but the cost of living is very cheap! It is the main hopsital and shopping hub for most of central and north central Montana.
    Generally, what I do is make about 2-3 trips a month to GreatFalls and fill up the car. Put it all in the deep freeze and you are good for several weeks. The towns are small and the crime is nil. Good places to safely raise a family, but not much to do unless you are an outdoors man, enjoy watching the tumbleweeds, or a good drinker.
    I left a big city and crime and have never regretted it since except for the taxes. I got a good house fairly cheap, do my 8 and out da gate! All these local towns roll up their carpets at 5pm. Only the bars are open. You can bring your kids to the bar to eat while you booze it up. I aint seen nothing like that?!?
    Anymore questions, just ask....
    Last edited by ArmouredSainT; 07-20-2007, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• I just checked CASS and my background check has been completed! (Still waiting on medical and qualifications.) Can anybody tell me what the typical wait time is between having everything completed and a placement/posting offer? Also wondering the time line between that offer and when training begins? Do most ppl do some time at their posting before training or does it depend on the situation? Any info is appreciated! Thx!

Comment

• I’m just starting to check on this. Is there a difference between CBP, and the Border Patrol, besides the blue or green uniform? I wouldn’t work customs if it was the last job in the world, I’ve spent way to much time doing that in the Army. I think working the line on the border would be fun though. When you apply, do you apply specifically for BP, and Customs, or do they just pull you for which ever needs folks that day?

Comment

• zeit_geist--I don't know, but from the FAQ list on the CASS website your BI starts after you have completed the medical. I think I'd call someone up there and find out if it is just an over site or what the deal is.

arcop223--BP and CBP are two separate jobs in DHS. You have to apply for the job you want.
          But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by arcop223 View Post
            I’m just starting to check on this. Is there a difference between CBP, and the Border Patrol, besides the blue or green uniform? I wouldn’t work customs if it was the last job in the world, I’ve spent way to much time doing that in the Army. I think working the line on the border would be fun though. When you apply, do you apply specifically for BP, and Customs, or do they just pull you for which ever needs folks that day?
            CBP has various duties and whatever "customs" job you have perfomed in the military would be nothing compared to CBP. Border patrol, yes they patrol the borders, etc. However Border Patrol has an age cut off (40) as CBP does not. CBP and BP have an education requirement/experience.

Check out http://www.cbp.gov/
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

• kc12-they requested some additional medical info so just waiting to see if its sufficient.

Comment

• how often do they give the test for the cbp position? now that i am 40 border patrol is out of the question. customs sounds good. could not find anything on usa jobs.

Comment

• Originally posted by mcmsm View Post
                  how often do they give the test for the cbp position? now that i am 40 border patrol is out of the question. customs sounds good. could not find anything on usa jobs.

Supposedly there will be an announcement opening on 08/10/2007 through 09/10/2007 which will include northern Mn and ND, plus a few other areas in the country.

Check USAjobs.gov around then.

Merlin

Comment

• thakns for that info i will look for it.

Comment

• Are there any Border Patrol folks on here?

Comment

• I got the call from CBP yesterday and I am headed to Philadelphia. I report there August 27, can anyone tell me a little about the post?

Comment

• Does anyone know the success/fail ratio for the CBPO training academy?
                          I would ideally like to be able to buy a home and move my family to my post city while Im in training but am concerned that that may be too presumtious. Any advise?

Comment

• Originally posted by mn1013 View Post
                            I got the call from CBP yesterday and I am headed to Philadelphia. I report there August 27, can anyone tell me a little about the post?
                            Philly, if I remember has both and airport and seaport. Both is good for getting all around skills in the performance of your duties. I suggest seaport because if you want to travel later in your career CSI would be the way to go with seaport under your belt.

I am happy for some of you guys trying out for CBP officer positions, it can be a great job if you get the right location, management and opportunities. I miss the field often, kinda tired of wearing a suit and tie. Hopefully, the rumor of splitting job expertise will get more steam and we can get back to more enforcement related work.

Heres a link to statement by NTEU pres:
                            http://www.nteu.org/PressKits/PressR...e.aspx?ID=1117

I think this would help in job distinguishing of CBP officers.

Wanted to mention that there are other opportunities in CBP besides just working at the POE. CBP officers are also instructors at FLETC, Program Officer, Analysts and liaison at other local and federal agencies.

Okay I'm tired, I'm out.

Comment

• Originally posted by zeit_geist View Post
                              Does anyone know the success/fail ratio for the CBPO training academy?
                              I would ideally like to be able to buy a home and move my family to my post city while Im in training but am concerned that that may be too presumtious. Any advise?

Throttle back just a bit. Besides making it through FLETC there are many other considerations before making such tremendous commitments. Foremost, you may not like the job. There has been the occasional CPBO rookie who has discovered the job just ain't his cup of tea and resigned. Further, you may not like your duty location. While a rookie typically cannot transfer out of a port, at some point you may want to get out of Dodge and successfully secure a transfer. Given the current state of the housing market you dont want to be saddled with a piece of property you cant unload if need be. Especially if you've only owned it short term.

Remember- you're on probation for two years. That means there's a possibility you could quickly find yourself unemployed and trying to make mortage payments in a town with few alternatives allowing you to earn a comparable salary.

I wouldn't out the cart before the horse on this one. One step at a time is a more prudent path. Get through the academy. If you must relocate the family, consder renting for awhile until you are fairly certain you will be staying for a bit. The housing market is on the front end of a trough in the cycle which means you'll be better positioned for a purchase in a year or two anyway.
                              ========================================

sigpic

I feel the need - the need for speed.

Maverick and Goose, TOPGUN

Comment

• What do new hires at FLETC make for pay? Is anything deducted from their pay for room and board?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8799 users online. 408 members and 8391 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X