300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tigers2007 View Post
    Go for the GS7. I am loosing my ***** at FLETC not being able to work my two side jobs. With GS5 I am making $788 after taxes,retirement,etc. every two weeks. That covers about 2/3 of my mortgage. Apparently, I did fully qual for GS7 and I was a fool to jump the gun and take the GS5. I did put in for the GS5 and GS7 but I should have ripped up the GS5 offer and waited a week or two for the GS7. The pay difference is like $230 less per paycheck per pay period.

I seriously considered getting a part-time job at the local Wal-Mart to cover my other bills because I'm scraping along here at the flea-tech. The bright side is that I only have a few more weeks here and then I can resume my other side jobs that will help out with the bills. Plan ahead. I saw this coming before coming here so I made sure I had a fat emergency fund stockpiled with every available penny.
    i'm in the same boat man.. i'm working my part time job, at full time hours just to try to pay some bills off (on top of my reg full time job). i'm also going to be WAY off my mortgage, dont know how.. thankfully we have a savings account to fall back on for a bit ( but i would hate too) and thankfully the wife works.. i do not know how familys deal with the low pay for the first couple years...
    Last edited by nordy racer; 10-21-2008, 12:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bronze01 View Post
      ...an SCO just got his first shirt with the new left side patch.

IMHO (and his): It's huge (bigger than the CBP Patch, much bigger).

Would be interesting to hear other CBPOs chime in on their opinion.

I guess we'll get used to it.
      You must not work with anybody with the old-style patches then. Back in 2005 or so they changed patches to the current ones. The old ones were as large as the new OFO patch, and maybe a bit larger.

Comment

• Has anyone from the San Francisco and Oakland area received words for the VBT?

Comment

• Originally posted by rbakous1 View Post
          Can you tell me where to find this? I would like to see it.

Thanks

That's not it exactly, but it's a fairly good knockoff.

Comment

• Originally posted by mi562 View Post
            Actually, "police" will do.
            That'll work. I have seen management that have taken issue with that though.
            It might not be the best option for a new hire.

Comment

• One thing about the GS-05/GS-07 applications...

They only issue a certain number of GS-07 slots. Once used up, that's it. Only GS-05's are offered after that point regardless of your qualifications.

If you really want the job, it's best to fill out both quals.

Depending on your port and what it has for OT, it's possible a GS-05 could well pass a GS-07 end-of-the-year money-wise.

Comment

• Originally posted by tigers2007 View Post
                Go for the GS7. I am loosing my ***** at FLETC not being able to work my two side jobs. With GS5 I am making $788 after taxes,retirement,etc. every two weeks. That covers about 2/3 of my mortgage. Apparently, I did fully qual for GS7 and I was a fool to jump the gun and take the GS5. I did put in for the GS5 and GS7 but I should have ripped up the GS5 offer and waited a week or two for the GS7. The pay difference is like $230 less per paycheck per pay period.

I seriously considered getting a part-time job at the local Wal-Mart to cover my other bills because I'm scraping along here at the flea-tech. The bright side is that I only have a few more weeks here and then I can resume my other side jobs that will help out with the bills. Plan ahead. I saw this coming before coming here so I made sure I had a fat emergency fund stockpiled with every available penny.
                Keep your head up. You may be working some overtime depending on your port's needs, that will boost you right on up there. I know it sucks, but in the long run, years down the road, you'll be happy. Hang in there.
                Of course you already know this....
                Last edited by Flyer13; 10-21-2008, 01:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by will0861 View Post
                  So here's a question. I sent in my NOPA response about 4 months ago. About 2 months ago, the lady told me I won't have any problems, and I just need to get my file singed off. So, it's been 4 months total, and no end in sight. Can those of you who dealt with a NOPA tell me how long it took from the time you sent the letter until you were finally cleared.

Thanks
                  i posted some pages back about me receiving a NOPA and sent in my response before the deadline which was oct 8th. i just got my pre-employment packet this past saturday on the 18th. try getting a hold of IA.

Comment

• Originally posted by JRizEJ6 View Post
                    i posted some pages back about me receiving a NOPA and sent in my response before the deadline which was oct 8th. i just got my pre-employment packet this past saturday on the 18th. try getting a hold of IA.
                    You received your NOPA before you got your T.O.?

jrq16

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                      That'll work. I have seen management that have taken issue with that though.
                      It might not be the best option for a new hire.
                      Not unless they've changed it, that's what we say. Who in the world is going to say, "Customs and Border Protection Officer, drop your weapon," or CBP Officer, drop your weapon." You have to identify yourself, and everyone knows "police." Not everyone knows what CBP is.

Comment

• Originally posted by mi562 View Post
                        Not unless they've changed it, that's what we say. Who in the world is going to say, "Customs and Border Protection Officer, drop your weapon," or CBP Officer, drop your weapon." You have to identify yourself, and everyone knows "police." Not everyone knows what CBP is.
                        At FLETC the arrest techniques instructor taught us to say "federal officer" or "police". The idea is just to identify yourself as law enforcement. The rest is just semantics.

Comment

• The key is to Identify yourself as clearly as possible. With most agencies such as local, state or feds, just saying "police" will get the point across to the citizen ( or illegal).
                          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

• Originally posted by JRizEJ6 View Post

I call IA every two weeks like the lady suggested.
                            ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
                            Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
                            March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
                            July 09 Oral Board
                            Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
                            Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

• anyone else have issues with the job status line? I called this morning and it was being pretty loopy, and hung up on me both times I tried. I guess I'll try it again this afternoon.
                              "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• To schedule the VBT is it a phone call like the medical or is it a letter in the mail?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10458 users online. 419 members and 10039 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X