300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Steph631_ View Post
    I understand I'm just nervous because confidence doesn't seem to play a part in these polygraphs. I've known people to fail because their "breathing was too controlled" meaning they were calm and confident.

07/23/14 Applied to Central East Coast 14-2
    09/21/14 Written exam
    11/18/14 Notice of TS
    11/21/14 TSL packet received
    12/17/14 PFT1/MED
    01/06/15 VBT/SI
    02/25/15 poly (@ JFK)
    Yea I can see something like that happening, but I would be more upset failing for trying to lie lol I mean this exam is built to catch liars and that's pretty much what DQ's you. I just don't want to look back and feel that I should have answered something differently. Just want to take it outta my hands and put the ball in their court.

Comment

• Originally posted by GH1187 View Post
      Yea I can see something like that happening, but I would be more upset failing for trying to lie lol I mean this exam is built to catch liars and that's pretty much what DQ's you. I just don't want to look back and feel that I should have answered something differently. Just want to take it outta my hands and put the ball in their court.
      Exactly. People fail when being honest and people pass while lying. It is what it is. All you can do is tell the truth. That's it. Rest is out of your control.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shadowtrain View Post
        Plenty do!
        Depending on your personality, your strengths, and what you want in life... It may be the career for you, or it may not.

The pay is quite phenomenal. Anything over your scheduled time is double pay, you get shift differential, and Sunday pay.
        Academy is a paid vacation with delicious fried chicken. Depending on the environment it is fairly interesting and generally when you clock out, work stops there.

That being said, there are things that people don't like about the position. I don't care who you are, but every job/career has its issues. Some issues are minor and some are deal breakers.

I personally know of guys that went from local/state over to fed and vice versa.

The real question is what do you want out from this? You want a job or a career?

YMMV.

Personally, I enjoyed it. The job was fairly interesting on most days and I met some good people. Sure, there are minor things such as management styles and things that I didn't care for. However, I can never put a price on the warm fuzzy feeling when I deny someone their entry to the United States or when I meet someone immigrating to the US with nothing more than the money in his pocket and the shirt on his back.

Thanks for that awesome answer!Great to know... I never would have thought this is what I maybe doing, but its exciting... All honesty, if I do get it, want to make it a career and move up the ladder. Go to school, get my masters and move up!

Comment

• Good luck to you guys whoever taking poly next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Pisan917 View Post
            Guys I have a question. I just realized that I applied for Northeast region instead of Central East for NY/NJ area. I'm quite upset.

Would this push me back? should I wait until after the Poly to change it? Who do I call?

What states fall under Northeast anyways?
            Help.
            I pretty much did the same thing in 2013 and I had to re-test

Comment

• CBP officer

Originally posted by Nvan86 View Post
              Good luck to you guys whoever taking poly next week.

Thanks. Appreciate it. Mine is this week (Wednesday)

07/23/14 Applied to Central East Coast 14-2
              09/21/14 Written exam
              11/18/14 Notice of TS
              11/21/14 TSL packet received
              12/17/14 PFT1/MED
              01/06/15 VBT/SI
              02/25/15 poly (@ JFK)

Comment

• Originally posted by Pisan917 View Post
                Anybody?
                I have a buddy who was in the same situation, he was told he had to wait for another announcement. He was past the polygraph. Id say to call them up, and see what they tell you.

Comment

• CBP officer

So according to the new job announcement, East Texas region wasn't available to apply... Too bad because I chose that region at the moment that I applied... I wrote an email and they told me that, there were few funded vacancies on my preference... So to those who applied to East Texas prepare to wait a while!!!

14-1 applicant (PR)
                  Geo- East Texas
                  7/14/2014 NOR- passed 84
                  7/22/2014 Referral letter
                  8/1/14 notice of TSL
                  8/7/14 TSL packet received
                  8/12/14 Noticce of Tentatively selected
                  8/22/14 scheduled for VBT/SI
                  9/26/14 VBT/SI "eligible"
                  11/18/14 polygraph
                  12/11/14 polygraph passed!!
                  12/17/14 drug test
                  12/22/14 drug test passed
                  12/25/14 referred to schedule EOD
                  1/17/2015 met with BI
                  2/12/15 background check fully cleared

Last edited by Abner Rios; 02-23-2015, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• No it was my mistake the one I thought was a GS10 is actually a GS11 and before then he was a GS9. Just a mis-intermetation on my part. Apologies if I offended or mis-lead anyone.

Originally posted by SM3 View Post
                    Wow, one of your friends must be hanging on by a thread after getting into so much trouble. If your friends have a minimum of 7 years experience how is one of them still only a GS-10. Also, I thought CBPO's went 5, 7, 9, 11, 12. How did one get GS-10? (That's a serious question, even if in writing it sounds sarcastic, I'd like to know if there is a current or grandfathered process that a CBPO can be a GS-10 as I want to make sure I don't have to go through any extra steps I wasn't planning on).

Comment

• Originally posted by GH1187 View Post
                      I'm actually pretty confident, I'm not going in there trying to hide any secrets just going to put it all on the table. If I fail it won't be because I tried to hide anything.
                      Hey, that's my plan :-) Good luck, I'm a week or two behind you.
                      SM3

CBPO

14-2
                      Geo: Central East Coast, United States
                      Grade: GS-7
                      CBPO Exam: 9/16/2014
                      NOR: 10/31/2014 - 110 (with Veteran's points)
                      TSL: 11/18/2014
                      Medical/PFT 1: 12/17/2014
                      01/06/15 VBT/SI
                      01/07/15 NOR for SI found "eligible"
                      03/06/15 Poly- Scheduled

Good luck to everyone, this is not easy. I know good people that have not made it through the process. Let's all do our best to support and help each other through the process. I hope we all make it!

Comment

• Has anyone initially applied as a GS-5 candidate and later earned a degree that qualifies for a GS-7 position during the long application process? I am trying to see if it is possible for me to go back and get them to bump me up to GS-7. I called MHC and they said that I should go back and apply again and the two applications would merge. They said this would not slow down my process.

Or perhaps after I get on board and start working at port-of-entry, I could apply to have my salary bumped up? Thoughts?
                        Last edited by shivboy; 02-23-2015, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shivboy View Post
                          Has anyone initially applied as a GS-5 candidate and later earned a degree that qualifies for a GS-7 position during the long application process? I am trying to see if it is possible for me to go back and get them to bump me up to GS-7. I called MHC and they said that I should go back and apply again and the two applications would merge. They said this would not slow down my process.

Or perhaps after I get on board and start working at port-of-entry, I could apply to have my salary bumped up? Thoughts?
                          I went thru the same situation for BPA, it didn't seem to affect the application process. I doubt you'll be able to bump it once you are at the duty station, due to the time in grade requirements (not sure tho).

Comment

• Originally posted by esoj37 View Post
                            I went thru the same situation for BPA, it didn't seem to affect the application process. I doubt you'll be able to bump it once you are at the duty station, due to the time in grade requirements (not sure tho).
                            Thanks for your response. Where are you in the process now? I just finished my poly a few weeks ago and its been 1 year and 4 months since my initial written exam. If they somehow wiped off my current status and gave me a fresh new clean slate I would really be unhappy.

Comment

• Originally posted by shivboy View Post
                              Thanks for your response. Where are you in the process now? I just finished my poly a few weeks ago and its been 1 year and 4 months since my initial written exam. If they somehow wiped off my current status and gave me a fresh new clean slate I would really be unhappy.
                              I finished the process, declined the offer at the end. It took about 2 years, from mid 2011 to early 2013.

Comment

• Well... I just got out of the poly.

I PASSED!!! oh wow this feels good!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11393 users online. 398 members and 10995 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X