300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by allen2470 View Post
    Here is an easy question... do any CBP officers enjoy their jobs?!
    I can tell you just about everyone at the NTC-C enjoys their job!!!
    SM3

CBPO

14-2
    Geo: Central East Coast, United States
    Grade: GS-7
    CBPO Exam: 9/16/2014
    NOR: 10/31/2014 - 110 (with Veteran's points)
    TSL: 11/18/2014
    Medical/PFT 1: 12/17/2014
    01/06/15 VBT/SI
    01/07/15 NOR for SI found "eligible"
    03/06/15 Poly- Scheduled

Good luck to everyone, this is not easy. I know good people that have not made it through the process. Let's all do our best to support and help each other through the process. I hope we all make it!

Comment

• Originally posted by seventhousand View Post
      Bueller? Bueller? For everyone who took the written test, was there a math section?
      There was on 14-2 and it sucked. They don't tell you how many sig. fig. to round too which caused me confusion on several questions. The problems are wordy and multiple steps. It was very job oriented though and I found most questions at an appropriate level for the job. Good luck. FYI, I'm a math geek (and a few other types of geek also) :-)
      SM3

CBPO

14-2
      01/06/15 VBT/SI
      03/06/15 Poly- Scheduled

Good luck to everyone, this is not easy. I know good people that have not made it through the process. Let's all do our best to support and help each other through the process. I hope we all make it!

Comment

• Originally posted by PHSeaBee View Post
        Medical clearance
        Any other Veterans having issues with this ?
        Took medical and PFT-1 last March and passed.
        In October received packet requesting reevaluation at the VA and return the packet within30 days. VA appointment in 30 days?? I called and they gave me a February date.., good report with Med Provider got me in w/in 27 days
        Today I get an email asking for documentation between 2008 and 2013 from the VA and return it in next 9 days?? I called and explained I wasn't seen between those dates so that's why there's no documents. I was told they would give me 5 weeks. This is just to prove I'm not omitting any medical history. I would think the poly question about cheating or lying to get the job would resolve that question?? But now I must get docs that don't exist?? Anyone else in this kinda boat as well? Grrrrr!
        No, but prior MIl and deal w/ VA. I noted that several in 14-2 have stated their medical is cleared and mine is still lingering long after theirs has cleared. I assume I'm going to have similar issues :-( Thanks for sharing this though, so at least I may have an idea of what's ahead. Good luck.
        SM3

CBPO

14-2
        01/06/15 VBT/SI
        03/06/15 Poly- Scheduled

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
          The agency puts in at minimum 3% and at maximum 5% of your pay, based on your elected contributions.

You can elect to contribute up to the maximum yearly amount, which I think is currently at 17.5K

If you're 50 or older, there's also a catch up contribution of up to 5.5K you may elect to fund.
          Merlin, that's not the part of retirement I think he/ she meant, that is the TSP plan. I think the person is asking about a contribution for the retirement that is the 1.5%/yr of your high three avg. But I could be wrong.
          SM3

CBPO

14-2
          01/06/15 VBT/SI
          03/06/15 Poly- Scheduled

Comment

• Originally posted by abejjani View Post
            Another question how many of the current cbpos would still pass the tests and BI we are subjected to right now ?
            lol, several CBPO's have flat out said to me and friends of mine they doubt they'd pass the VBT :-)
            SM3

CBPO

14-2
            01/06/15 VBT/SI
            03/06/15 Poly- Scheduled

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike924 View Post
              It seems that right now the ratio (of applicants on here at least) of pass/fail on poly's is heavily slanted to the fail side.

Could it be that like most agencies, they enter more applicants into the process than they need, and the majority of the open slots in some regions have already been filled? 15-1 has a significantly reduced number of available regions in relation to 14-2 and 14-3. I wonder if this is a regional issue with the failures at this time.
              There is a certain assumed fail rate built in to the process. They stated they were hiring a few thousand people and then posted three times for applicants. All three times cut off early the day they received 12000 applicants. That's over 36000 applicants for a few thousand slots in 2014. They know they will weed the vast majority of us out.

As for comments by others about being squeaky clean and getting through the poly. I feel (imho) that you are thinking about it all wrong. The poly isn't to see if you have a clean back ground. It is to see if you can be turned/ manipulated by corrupt &/or foreign individuals. The idea is, do you have something in your background that you want to keep hidden so bad that you would lie about it. If so, if someone found out, they could use that knowledge to black mail you. If, as you state, there is NOTHING in your back ground. It can be harder to make the determination as to whether or not you would be willing to compromise your morals/ our country (in some way) out of embarrassment, etc... Again, maybe someone closer to the process can correct me, but I've been around people that get poly'ed for decades now, and that is my observation.
              SM3

CBPO

14-2
              01/06/15 VBT/SI
              03/06/15 Poly- Scheduled

Comment

• I'm from Northeast too. Sent in my equip Sept 2014 and still in IA. Waiting for the poly email.

Comment

• Originally posted by mlamego View Post
                  I'm from Northeast too. Sent in my equip Sept 2014 and still in IA. Waiting for the poly email.
                  Same here. 13-1 ?

Comment

• Originally posted by SM3 View Post
                    Merlin, that's not the part of retirement I think he/ she meant, that is the TSP plan. I think the person is asking about a contribution for the retirement that is the 1.5%/yr of your high three avg. But I could be wrong.
                    Alright.

Then it's basically 20 years of 12D coverage calculated at 1.7% per year plus any additional years at 1%. High three is calculated adding base pay to overtime earned, up to 50% of the current cap, which is, at the moment, 35K...so 17.5K of overtime. Most CBPOs fall considerably short of that amount.

Most new hires will be forced out at age 57.

Retirement is very much an individual event driven by individual facts and circumstance. If somebody is really that interested in getting anything outside of ballpark figures I'd suggest getting in touch with the HR people who specialize in retirement knowledge.

Comment

• Originally posted by allen2470 View Post
                      Here is an easy question... do any CBP officers enjoy their jobs?!
                      Plenty do!
                      Depending on your personality, your strengths, and what you want in life... It may be the career for you, or it may not.

The pay is quite phenomenal. Anything over your scheduled time is double pay, you get shift differential, and Sunday pay.
                      Academy is a paid vacation with delicious fried chicken. Depending on the environment it is fairly interesting and generally when you clock out, work stops there.

That being said, there are things that people don't like about the position. I don't care who you are, but every job/career has its issues. Some issues are minor and some are deal breakers.

I personally know of guys that went from local/state over to fed and vice versa.

The real question is what do you want out from this? You want a job or a career?

YMMV.

Personally, I enjoyed it. The job was fairly interesting on most days and I met some good people. Sure, there are minor things such as management styles and things that I didn't care for. However, I can never put a price on the warm fuzzy feeling when I deny someone their entry to the United States or when I meet someone immigrating to the US with nothing more than the money in his pocket and the shirt on his back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike924 View Post
                        Please tell me you took it in Orlando or Tampa haha

Good to hear though. It is true that you tend to only hear the negatives on here. Thanks for an uplifting poly post.
                        Haha yep I took mine in Tampa.

By the way does anyone know how long after the poly it takes for the background investigator to come knocking?

Comment

• Originally posted by SM3 View Post
                          lol, several CBPO's have flat out said to me and friends of mine they doubt they'd pass the VBT :-)
                          And a CBPO buddy of mine said it was a breeze. Word of mouth means nothing in terms of testing/assessments. I'm sure some will say that the CBPO/BPA entrance exams were a joke while others talk about how hard it was and should be changed.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if the VBT/SI is designed to screen out 99.9% of applicants. Just do everything you can do to prepare or wing it and see how well it goes. Either way, it is what it is.

Good luck everyone.
                          "Independent research, reading comprehension, & a firm grasp of reality saves lives."

Comment

• Originally posted by MIRACLE View Post
                            Not many actually. I personally know 5 current CBPO age range from 32-48 with experience of 7-18 years and ive showed them and asked how they would do on the written exam and they all said horrible after looking at the study guide and prectice test and all 0f them are GS10-GS12. My best friends father is a supervisor with 18 years experience and he sais after 9/11 its only gotten more and more harder for people to get on with both CBP and BP as they continue to make the hiriring process more difficult and longer each year.
                            Wow, one of your friends must be hanging on by a thread after getting into so much trouble. If your friends have a minimum of 7 years experience how is one of them still only a GS-10. Also, I thought CBPO's went 5, 7, 9, 11, 12. How did one get GS-10? (That's a serious question, even if in writing it sounds sarcastic, I'd like to know if there is a current or grandfathered process that a CBPO can be a GS-10 as I want to make sure I don't have to go through any extra steps I wasn't planning on).
                            SM3

CBPO

14-2
                            01/06/15 VBT/SI
                            03/06/15 Poly- Scheduled

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                              Alright. What exactly is the point?

Arguably, current Border Patrol hiring /academy standards are less strict than at anytime in modern history.

As far as OFO's standards go, I'd say it's up in the air. Previous academies (especially the legacy ones) were far more intensive in terms of their specific academics and while they've tightened up on some of pre employment processes, they're slso hiring hundreds and thousands of additional people over the years in comparison to pre-911 hiring. Some stricter standards but greater hiring...probably cancels out any overall disadvantages.

As far as current CBPOs go I have no doubt that the majority would meet current hiring standards. .if such standards were applicable to them.
                              rIGHT NOW, THE JOB MARKET IS NOT GREAT. tHAT ALLOWS FEDERAL AGENCIES TO BE MORE SELECTIVE (oops ignore the caps lock), and higher more desirable candidates (although imo making the process too difficult leads to a mix of desirable and DESPERATE, as not all competitive individuals would wait around and go through all this when they can make more for less). At some point in time someone determined that the agency has to be more customer service focused (whether there was a deficiency, a new tasking, whatever) so someone sold them on the VBT process, etc... Now the process is stated in the job postings so we all know going in (if we read what we signed up for). We know they cut off the app.s at 12000 (or on the day they passed 12000), and we should know that they aren't taking 12000 people per posting. Nothing personal, but I don't get all the belly aching (from lots of people) about the process. Asking to know is one thing, but people complaining (repeatedly and frequently) is another. Everyone is free to withdraw their app. if unhappy, and leave room for the rest of us. Again, nothing personal.
                              SM3

CBPO

14-2
                              01/06/15 VBT/SI
                              03/06/15 Poly- Scheduled

Comment

• Originally posted by Steph631_ View Post
                                I don't think it is. I'm central east coast and have poly on Wednesday.

07/23/14 Applied to Central East Coast 14-2
                                09/21/14 Written exam
                                11/18/14 Notice of TS
                                11/21/14 TSL packet received
                                12/17/14 PFT1/MED
                                01/06/15 VBT/SI
                                02/25/15 poly (@ JFK)
                                Steph- how many times do you need told,... YOU ARE A GIRL :-P
                                SM3

CBPO

14-2
                                01/06/15 VBT/SI
                                03/06/15 Poly- Scheduled

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10192 users online. 482 members and 9710 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X