Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Precious539 View Post
    Where did you take yours at?
    Took mine in Plattsburgh, NY (They call it Plattsburgh, VT but it is actually in New York). I chose there over West Virginia because I run better in colder weather and when I took my PFT2 it was summer time.
    EOD - 08/2014
    FLETC - 9/14 - 01/15
    DUTY LOC - JFK (CENTRAL EAST)

Comment

• Originally posted by MidnightHeat View Post
      I have friends that work at the landborder, and they tell me that it is the same as working in the airport, except you are outdoors and you deal with vehicles instead of people comigng off a plane. They all hate it and have applications pending with other agencies.
      I work in Nogales, POE, If you never work in the land border stop saying what you saying. this is nothing compare to an airport...You probably not even a CBP..

CBP Since 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Steph631_ View Post
        Yes that's the one I pulled up and for gs 5 it says $27, something a year.

07/23/14 Applied to Central East Coast 14-2
        09/21/14 Written exam
        10/31/14 NOR passed with 84
        11/18/14 Notice of TS
        11/21/14 TSL packet received
        12/03/14 Email/Call for PFT1/MED
        12/17/14 PFT1/MED
        12/17/14 Email for VBT/SI
        01/05/14 Email of passing PFT1
        01/06/15 VBT/SI
        01/07/15 NOR for SI found "eligible"

Ok I cant take this anymore.. GS-5 is like $15 HR. GS 7 is like 19$ gs 11$ is like 24 and gs 12 is like 29$.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fer View Post
          Ok I cant take this anymore.. GS-5 is like $15 HR. GS 7 is like 19$ gs 11$ is like 24 and gs 12 is like 29$.
          U can't take what anymore ? I think we figured it out already. Thanks

09/21/14 Written exam
          11/18/14 Notice of TS
          12/17/14 PFT1/MED
          01/06/15 VBT/SI

Comment

• Originally posted by Fer View Post
            I work in Nogales, POE, If you never work in the land border stop saying what you saying. this is nothing compare to an airport...You probably not even a CBP..

CBP Since 2012
            That's a quote from 2006 you're responding to.

Mid was a CBPO. ..briefly. He jumped to ICE, became an IEA, then a DO, then jumped into an 1811 gig. He may still be jumping.

The guy was pretty much your typical serial job hopper. He had a goal and OFO was merely a step along his path. He wasn't here for the long haul. ...regardless of what was offered.

Comment

• Hi everyone. Been several years since I've been around here, but I have occasionally checked the board to see what's been going on in hiring. Let me begin by telling everyone the two things you need when applying for CBPO, patience and more patience. There have been folks on this board that got hired, but it took them 5+ years to get there. They simply stuck to it. Don't plan/live your life around getting the job. Continue living as if it weren't going to happen at all. If something comes up that prevents you from being hired, no harm no foul. If you do get the job, so much the better!

Merlin has been on here for a LOOOONG time offering words of advice and giving news on hiring situations. He is a great resource that is pretty darned accurate. I'll try to pop on here a little more frequently and try to help out as I can (though I don't hold a candle to level of Merlin's wisdom!).

I wanted to offer a word of advice regarding pay. I know others have commented some good info and some false info. I'm big on references and resources. It appeared there was still some remaining confusion. Here's the bottom line, CBPO's generally start at GS5 or GS7, step 1. If you want to know what the basic pay will be you need to keep in mind what you're looking at. Steph, you were correct. A GS5/1 CBPO DOES earn a basic salary of $13.41 per hr. The problem is that's JUST the basic hourly salary with no locality pay factored in. You simply looked at the wrong table. If you look at the locality pay table for the city in WHICH YOU WILL BE WORKING, then you'll find your accurate pay rate. For example, the true base salary for a GS5/1 working in NYC is $17.26 per hr. If there is no listing for your port then you utilize the pay table at the bottom of the OPM list which is labeled "Rest of United States".

One further clarification on the reason I said CBPO's generally start as GS5 or GS7 step 1. Many BP Agents are jumping over to CBP. They are on the GL pay schedule which is a higher rate. They are hired on (generally as a GS7), at a step which is equivalent to their old salary, maxing out at GS7/10. As an example; if someone was a GL7 step1 with BP when hired with CBP they would come in as a GS7 step 5. It's the same exact dollar amount. Obviously they would be earning more than a GS7 step 1 in their first year but generally at their second year they would go to GS9 step 1 just like everyone else and the pay would then be equal.

Here's the basic link for all of the OPM pay schedules in case anyone need to take a look:
              http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-overs...eral-schedule/

Hope that in addition to Merlin's comments this helps make things a little clearer regarding salary. Good luck to everyone and stick with it!

Comment

• Originally posted by 66Pony View Post
                Hi everyone. Been several years since I've been around here, but I have occasionally checked the board to see what's been going on in hiring. Let me begin by telling everyone the two things you need when applying for CBPO, patience and more patience. There have been folks on this board that got hired, but it took them 5+ years to get there. They simply stuck to it. Don't plan/live your life around getting the job. Continue living as if it weren't going to happen at all. If something comes up that prevents you from being hired, no harm no foul. If you do get the job, so much the better!

Merlin has been on here for a LOOOONG time offering words of advice and giving news on hiring situations. He is a great resource that is pretty darned accurate. I'll try to pop on here a little more frequently and try to help out as I can (though I don't hold a candle to level of Merlin's wisdom!).

I wanted to offer a word of advice regarding pay. I know others have commented some good info and some false info. I'm big on references and resources. It appeared there was still some remaining confusion. Here's the bottom line, CBPO's generally start at GS5 or GS7, step 1. If you want to know what the basic pay will be you need to keep in mind what you're looking at. Steph, you were correct. A GS5/1 CBPO DOES earn a basic salary of $13.41 per hr. The problem is that's JUST the basic hourly salary with no locality pay factored in. You simply looked at the wrong table. If you look at the locality pay table for the city in WHICH YOU WILL BE WORKING, then you'll find your accurate pay rate. For example, the true base salary for a GS5/1 working in NYC is $17.26 per hr. If there is no listing for your port then you utilize the pay table at the bottom of the OPM list which is labeled "Rest of United States".

One further clarification on the reason I said CBPO's generally start as GS5 or GS7 step 1. Many BP Agents are jumping over to CBP. They are on the GL pay schedule which is a higher rate. They are hired on (generally as a GS7), at a step which is equivalent to their old salary, maxing out at GS7/10. As an example; if someone was a GL7 step1 with BP when hired with CBP they would come in as a GS7 step 5. It's the same exact dollar amount. Obviously they would be earning more than a GS7 step 1 in their first year but generally at their second year they would go to GS9 step 1 just like everyone else and the pay would then be equal.

Here's the basic link for all of the OPM pay schedules in case anyone need to take a look:
                http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-overs...eral-schedule/

Hope that in addition to Merlin's comments this helps make things a little clearer regarding salary. Good luck to everyone and stick with it!
                So everyone jumps to GS9 after a year? or just those who started with GS7

Comment

• Okay, while we have at least two experts on here, I have a question. If one gets to GS-12 and then wants to switch ports (I've seen info on swaps and reapplying through the job postings) and dose so successfully, do they have to go back to GS-7 or can they switch as a GS-12 and keep their pay? Thank you.
                  SM3

CBPO

14-2
                  Geo: Central East Coast, United States
                  Grade: GS-7
                  CBPO Exam: 9/16/2014
                  NOR: 10/31/2014 - 110 (with Veteran's points)
                  TSL: 11/18/2014
                  Medical/PFT 1: 12/17/2014
                  01/06/15 VBT/SI
                  03/06/15 Poly- Scheduled

Good luck to everyone, this is not easy. I know good people that have not made it through the process. Let's all do our best to support and help each other through the process. I hope we all make it!

Comment

• Originally posted by SM3 View Post
                    Okay, while we have at least two experts on here, I have a question. If one gets to GS-12 and then wants to switch ports (I've seen info on swaps and reapplying through the job postings) and dose so successfully, do they have to go back to GS-7 or can they switch as a GS-12 and keep their pay? Thank you.
                    If it's a swap they can keep their grade at 12. If its through reapplying they go back to a 7 step 10 since thats highest they can pay match. Some ports allow Accelerated promotions after 90 days so they can get their 12s back but I only heard of two ports allowing that (chicago and Dallas)

Comment

• Originally posted by GH1187 View Post
                      So everyone jumps to GS9 after a year? or just those who started with GS7
                      The CBPO position is currently a GS5/7/9/11/12. What that means is that you are non competitively (automatically), promoted to the next higher pay grade at the end of each year of your service. If you are hired as a GS5 then next year from your date of hire you are promoted to a GS7. This continues until you max out at GS12. Anything higher is generally a competitive position.

Comment

• I'm central east coast too.. thanks to everyone for all the info.. will def consider at least a masters. Also thinking about LSAT but seems like alot while working a full time job. I took my test 12/31/13, so this has been a crazy long wait....

Comment

• Originally posted by allen2470 View Post
                          I'm central east coast too.. thanks to everyone for all the info.. will def consider at least a masters. Also thinking about LSAT but seems like alot while working a full time job. I took my test 12/31/13, so this has been a crazy long wait....
                          What step are you on ?

09/21/14 Written exam
                          11/18/14 Notice of TS
                          12/17/14 PFT1/MED
                          01/06/15 VBT/SI

Comment

• Originally posted by 66Pony View Post
                            The CBPO position is currently a GS5/7/9/11/12. What that means is that you are non competitively (automatically), promoted to the next higher pay grade at the end of each year of your service. If you are hired as a GS5 then next year from your date of hire you are promoted to a GS7. This continues until you max out at GS12. Anything higher is generally a competitive position.
                            Thanks for all your information. Very very helpful.

09/21/14 Written exam
                            11/18/14 Notice of TS
                            12/17/14 PFT1/MED
                            01/06/15 VBT/SI

Comment

• Hello Everyone!!! Just finished the infamous poly!!! Soooo EXCITED!! My examiner said I PASSED!!! Lasted @ 3 hours... He said he was sending in his report and that if I was willing to come back if further testing was needed... I agreed.. YAAAAY!!! Will I get something I writing saying I passed or what happens next?? Thanks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by borrada View Post
                                Hello Everyone!!! Just finished the infamous poly!!! Soooo EXCITED!! My examiner said I PASSED!!! Lasted @ 3 hours... He said he was sending in his report and that if I was willing to come back if further testing was needed... I agreed.. YAAAAY!!! Will I get something I writing saying I passed or what happens next?? Thanks!!
                                Where you took your poly?
                                Originally posted by borrada View Post
                                Hello Everyone!!! Just finished the infamous poly!!! Soooo EXCITED!! My examiner said I PASSED!!! Lasted @ 3 hours... He said he was sending in his report and that if I was willing to come back if further testing was needed... I agreed.. YAAAAY!!! Will I get something I writing saying I passed or what happens next?? Thanks!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10344 users online. 375 members and 9969 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X