Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was wondering if on my application I qualified for 3 languages that they needed. Will I be required to go to proficiency school after the academy ? And passing proficiency will that be more money like in the army (09-l) ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shadowtrain View Post
      The GRE, the graduate record examinations... is a test that some schools require one to take prior to his/her application to graduate school. Some master degree programs require the GRE, some do not.
      Right, I didn't have to take one prior to starting my graduate program... It just depends... But to answer your question.. You definitely need a Masters Degree for higher work related promotions in some cases.. Hope this helps....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dukkha View Post
        Merlin is correct don't assume you will be making a certain amount of OT or shift differential. Im in Long Beach, CA GS 12 step 05, for $88, 613 salary for the locality. I work nights 20% diff and Sundays 15% diff, that adds about $20k on top of the salary. That is without including any OT which is minimal in my section at my port. Here is the OPM Pay scale (not LEO) that is used. http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-overs...eral-schedule/ A GS 5 step 1 in Los Angeles is $35,582 $17.05hr, if you work OT its double rate $17.05 x 2 = $34.10hr. Once again don't account or assume you will work OT, unless you work in a high OT port.
        my EOD date is on 2/23/15 in Long Beach seaport.

What kind of shift do I get as a new hire?

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by SM3 View Post
          Disregard- Wow that's a game changer. I've been calculating off the regular GS charts, so that makes the base higher, but I was told by guys working there that all OT was double time (max. of 30k/yr), so that is lower. I made a set of tables with base in different localities and calculated how much with the 30k OT and how many hours of OT to get there at each grade. Now I see on the LEO chart that OT rates go down as you go up in pay, so to top out I'd need way more OT than planned. Better to know now I guess. Thanks. Do you have a link to all the localities for LEO pay? Thanks again. Disregard, saw some more responses after I wrote this. Maybe next time I'll refresh first :-)
          What location are you hoping for?

Comment

• Originally posted by abejjani View Post
            I was wondering if on my application I qualified for 3 languages that they needed. Will I be required to go to proficiency school after the academy ? And passing proficiency will that be more money like in the army (09-l) ?
            The foreign language awards program (FLAP) will pay up to 5% of your pay
            As far as proficiency testing goes...it'll likely be a phone interview.

Comment

• It's not odd to find first - line supervisors with qualifications outside of a college degree.

That's not to say that a degree won't help....and eventually, likely at some point jumping up through middle management, a degree pretty much becomes almost a necessity.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                The foreign language awards program (FLAP) will pay up to 5% of your pay
                As far as proficiency testing goes...it'll likely be a phone interview.
                you get extra pay if you speak fluent another language?

Comment

• Originally posted by allen2470 View Post
                  In the process (Polygraph is March 4th), was thinking about taking the GRE and getting my masters in a related field. Do they encourage that? Would that help promotions down the line? Is it easy to move to different "types" of jobs with in the agency, or is it just scanning passports all the time?
                  First, there are at least two basic sides at the airports- Passenger ("scanning passports" as yo put it) which has multiple levels of screening. and Cargo- checking cargo, checking peoples documents when they come to pick certain items up, etc... At the ports I'm not sure after that. However, once you get to journeyman, and if you are willing to relocate to Northern Virginia (just West of DC) there are the NTC's (National Targeting centers. currently there is a NTC-P (Passenger) and NTC-C (Cargo). Soon they will be in the same building, but currently two buildings. There you get into more fun stuff. Lot's of joint task forces. There are investigators, etc... Of course those jobs become more competitive and again you have to move. There are also travel assignments (I am aware of short term for sure, not sure if there are any long term travel assignments though). I am also trying to figure out what Master's to get. Good luck. Are you Central east Coast?
                  SM3

CBPO

14-2
                  Geo: Central East Coast, United States
                  Grade: GS-7
                  CBPO Exam: 9/16/2014
                  NOR: 10/31/2014 - 110 (with Veteran's points)
                  TSL: 11/18/2014
                  Medical/PFT 1: 12/17/2014
                  01/06/15 VBT/SI
                  01/07/15 NOR for SI found "eligible"
                  03/06/15 Poly- Scheduled

Good luck to everyone, this is not easy. I know good people that have not made it through the process. Let's all do our best to support and help each other through the process. I hope we all make it!

Comment

• Originally posted by GH1187 View Post
                    What location are you hoping for?
                    Dulles, or at least Reagan, but I am 10 minutes from Dulles.
                    SM3

CBPO

14-2
                    01/06/15 VBT/SI
                    03/06/15 Poly- Scheduled

Good luck to everyone, this is not easy. I know good people that have not made it through the process. Let's all do our best to support and help each other through the process. I hope we all make it!

Comment

• Merlin- I just wanted to say thanks for being so helpful to everyone, myself included.
                      SM3

CBPO

14-2
                      01/06/15 VBT/SI
                      03/06/15 Poly- Scheduled

Comment

• Originally posted by geek4life View Post
                        When I applied there was 4 things the job posting said that the dhs was looking 4. One was female officers and the other 3 was 2 languages and 3 dialects. I qualify for all the extra languages/dialects they needed. Now I was not sure when will that come up but do far I haven't been asked about anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by geek4life View Post
                          Maybe. Technically it has to be a language that you speak at least 10% of work time. Or on the list of special interest languages.

Comment

• med and physical done! administrator said i probably broke the push up record there...looked like a rehab clinic for old ppl lol
                            Last edited by Umcdoj1; 02-11-2015, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• Just got an email for the poly. Scheduled it before the end of the month.

Comment

• Congrats

Originally posted by Shell_Back View Post
                                Finished my PFT2 today in West Virginia. Not at all that bad. Worst part was running outside in the cold rain. EOD 2/23 in Philly and FLETC March 27 I believe.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8015 users online. 370 members and 7645 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X