Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Specialties

Originally posted by 1895DCSkate View Post
    I see the Union wants to seperate the job specialities, good idea considering we are slowly losing focus on other aspects of our job.

Can you be a little more specific or quote a source? If the union is successful does this mean some of us will get permanent assignments such as stamping passports and be required to apply for other postitions?

From what I can discern in these pages, the legacy customs agents view the old days as the "good" old days. If this is the case, I'm all for a return to some semblance of the prior system.
    ========================================

sigpic

I feel the need - the need for speed.

Maverick and Goose, TOPGUN

Comment

• Originally posted by will559 View Post
      No, CBP does not issue take home cars. There may be a very few internal affairs agents with CBP that have take home cars though that is a different job classification and not a CBP Officer. Also, there may still be a few CBP K9 Officers who have take home but the ones I knew had to drive to work, get the truck, and then drive to pick up the dog at a kennel and vice versa at the end of the day.
      All our Enforcement officers have take home cars here at our POE in Montana...
      sigpic

Comment

• CBPO from Montana

Hey guys pretty new on this forum. I googled 6C coverage and a posting with regards to a CBPO exam dated 2006 came up. It was interesting to read some of the opinions of "new guys" vs "old timers" and I also responded. I will paste it inhere, maybe you guys could unleash your thoughts:

"Hey all. Is this thread dead? We should get it back to life. Read some interesting statements and I have to agree with some and disagree with others. This is my second location, I had no trouble transferring out to a nice and quiet Northern POE. Did my time at a major Airport and Seaport on the Eastcoast. Before I left, 20 Legacy INS people took IEA(covered position within ICE) jobs, leaving the fresh out of the academy kids and older men on the frontline with no knowledge or practical skills. Catching fraudulent documents, bad visas is a part of the past. Legacy Customs officers are now Primary Passport control supervisors without the sufficient knowledge of what is going on. Turnover is high and morale is probably the lowest among any other Federal Agency, but the job still got some magic left. People, the general public have no clue what we do and what we are about. CBP should spend some money on a publicity campaign teaching the public about WHO we are and WHAT we do. Many cops and other feds don't know what CBP stands for, how are we supposed to get respect from the traveling public ? The only time CBP is in the news is when we screw up, like the officer with the case of TB. With that said, I hope that other people will contribute to this thread. Also I will start a new CBP thread... something like CBPOs check in!!! Hope I see some of you guys there. Lev"

Thanks to all who will write back.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by MidnightHeat View Post
          If you are under 37, and looking to get into Federal Law Enforcement, I would say don't even waste your time with CBP. You will have to go to a four month academy in FLETC and learn everything there is to know about being a real LEO only to go back to your port and be a stamp monkey in a booth. CBP are not LEO's they are inspectors. Looking like a cop and being a cop are two very different things.
          I haven't read through the pages to find out if you disclosed your LEO position in NY. What do you exactly do? Are you with CBP at all or you just base your knowledge on rumors from your friends? Wonder if they know that you just called them monkeys ??? I feel sorry for you already and all I did was read your first posting....
          sigpic

Comment

• Only 1 hurdle left! Cass shows that my drug test is completed. Now I am just waiting for the background investigation to be completed.
            CBP
            Written Test - 2/7/07
            TO - 3/10/07 SF CA.
            SF86 - Completed *Recieved
            Qualifications - *6/27/07 Cleared for GS5
            Med. - 3/9/07 *Cleared
            Structured - 6/22/07 *Cleared
            Drug -7/10/07 *Cleared
            B.I. - 10/01/07 Cleared
            Fitness - 3/9/07 *Cleared
            EOD- 10/29/07

IEA
            Written Test - 5/17/07
            NOR - 6/7/07 93.9
            COE - 6/30/07
            SF86 - Mailed 7/9/07
            Fitness - Scheduled 7/19/07 Completed
            Med & Drug - Completed from CBP
            Interview- 8/1/07 Completed

Comment

• CBP Hopefull,

You're doing great!

I tested the same month you did and they haven't updated much at all on my progress. Of course, I'm in a different area also! They are only hiring about 10 or so in my area.

Good luck!!
              CBP Test: 02/07
              TO : 03/07

CASS:
              Preemployment Forms completed: 04/07
              Fitness : 06/07
              VBT completed Passed : 08/14
              Background Investi. completed : 08/28
              Medical Exam Completed : 10/16
              Drug Screen completed : 10/16
              Qualifications : 10/20

Comment

• Originally posted by DannyB View Post
                CBP Hopefull,

They are only hiring about 10 or so in my area.

Look into the Border Southwest. San Ysidro is the busiest land port in the world and there are 3 other land ports in that district. The needs for officers is great there. Plenty of opportunity if you can re-locate.
                ========================================

sigpic

I feel the need - the need for speed.

Maverick and Goose, TOPGUN

Comment

Last edited by tigers2007; 04-17-2017, 07:24 PM.

Comment

• cbp background

Originally posted by tigers2007 View Post
                    Is this job a "Top Secret" position? I can't believe how meticulous they are with the background interviews. This guy is interviewing, face to face, all of my previous employers for the last 10 years including people I once worked with. He is a very nice man but I am interested in why he needs to talk to everyone and their mother. I have went through "detailed" backgrounds before but this one is the most intense.
                    Has anyone ever cleared a background investigation without meeting or hearing from the investigator?
                    CBP
                    Written Test - 2/7/07
                    TO - 3/10/07 SF CA.
                    SF86 - Completed *Recieved
                    Qualifications - *6/27/07 Cleared for GS5
                    Med. - 3/9/07 *Cleared
                    Structured - 6/22/07 *Cleared
                    Drug -7/10/07 *Cleared
                    B.I. - 10/01/07 Cleared
                    Fitness - 3/9/07 *Cleared
                    EOD- 10/29/07

IEA
                    Written Test - 5/17/07
                    NOR - 6/7/07 93.9
                    COE - 6/30/07
                    SF86 - Mailed 7/9/07
                    Fitness - Scheduled 7/19/07 Completed
                    Med & Drug - Completed from CBP
                    Interview- 8/1/07 Completed

Comment

• Originally posted by tigers2007 View Post
                      Is this job a "Top Secret" position? I can't believe how meticulous they are with the background interviews. This guy is interviewing, face to face, all of my previous employers for the last 10 years including people I once worked with. He is a very nice man but I am interested in why he needs to talk to everyone and their mother. I have went through "detailed" backgrounds before but this one is the most intense.

No, you are not getting a TS clearance. Some CBP Officers, due to their duties have the need for a secret clearance, however most have a single scope BI with confidential clearance. Oh yes, every five years, you will have your BI updated (interview you, friends, neighbors, etc. since last BI).

And for the guy who thinks CBP Officers don't do LE, he should head down to Skid Row. And i'm not talking inner city Los Angeles, rather San Ysidro. It is a whole other world down there compared to lets say an airport environment in a city like Los Angeles or San Francisco. My good friend works at Skid Row as a CBP Officer and does REAL law enforcement...

Comment

Comment

In addition to what was stated above, the SSBI is the investigation done to grant a TS, even if one is not granted.
                          But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Any folks out there working in Montana? Is it true that there are some ports in the middle of no where? Where do those guys live --- 5th wheel trailer parked outside???
                            Ed,

I would say that at least 35% of the Ports of Entry are in the middle of nowhere. CBP has housing units set up next to a lot of the POEs. I live 15 feet away from the port in a 3 bedroom air conditioned home with my family. Rent is close to nothing, and I can save a lot. Closest town is 40 miles inland and 87 kilometers in Canada. It's something you have to get used to...
                            sigpic

Comment

Comment

• I'm a Feb 07 tester and have been referred to scheduling this week. Here is my timeline.

Assessment Test: 2/8/07

NOR: 2/22/07 Scored 96 (No vet points)

TO received for JFK: 3/03/07

Medical: 3/12/07 passed

Fitness: 3/12/07 passed

Drug Test: 3/27/07 passed

VBT: 4/10/07 passed

Background: Passed
                                Investigator called on 5/14/07
                                Met with Investigator 5/15/07
                                Investigator informed me BI is complete 5/22/07
                                BI Shows as cleared in CASS 07/05/07

Qualifications: Complete 07/12/07

Pre-Employment Forms: Complete 07/17/07

07/17/07 CASS shows Referred to scheduling as of 07/12/07

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4699 users online. 222 members and 4477 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X