300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chrisarias1987 View Post
    Can you post your timeline if you don't mind and your geo?
    its in my sig

Geo : South-West
    GS-5
    Tested: Sep 2013
    NOR: Oct 28th 2013 (Score 79)
    Geo changed from Florida to SW: Feb 20th 2014
    Medical/PFT1 passed : Apr 18th 2014
    VBT/SI passed : May 25th 2014
    Equip sent : June 6th 2014
    NOPA : Aug 5th 2014
    Poly : Oct 22nd 2014
    CBPO: GS-5
    Geo: SW
    Tested: Sep '13
    NOR (79): Oct 28th '13 // Geo changed to SW: Feb 20th '14
    Medical/PFT1 passed: Apr 18th '14 // VBT/SI passed: May 25th '14
    Equip sent: Jun 6th '14 // NOPA: Aug 5th '14
    Poly: Oct 22nd '14 // Met with BI: Dec 18th '14
    The Call: Mar 3rd '15 // Drug Test: Mar 6th '15
    BI Cleared: Mar 3rd '15 // PFT 2: Mar 18th '15
    EOD: Mar 30th '15 // FLETC: 4/23-8/27 '15

Comment

• Originally posted by CZ_Kid View Post
      What's your prior experience if you don't mind my asking? Just wondering. That said, you will get your 12 before you know it. Time flies!!
      5.5 years federal cop.

Comment

• Originally posted by joshk24 View Post
        I guess maybe you misunderstood my question. I already know that I qualified as a gs7. My question was, do you automatically start at the bottom of the gs7 pay scale? If I start at the bottom, I will be taking a huge pay cut!!
        From the 14-2 posting:

"Current Federal Employees: Current federal employees who apply to this announcement will be required to serve a probationary period in accordance with 5 CFR 315 and may be required to accept a change to lower grade which may reduce their salary based on Federal pay regulations. Note: If you are a current GS-12 step 1 your salary will be reduced to a GS-7 step 10 which equates to an approximate $20,000 salary reduction (based on locality). Re-promotion is not guaranteed. Timeframes and grade level re-promotion is at the discretion of the agency and will be subject to a probationary period."

So, it sounds to me like there is a chance you could start above step 1. jmho.
        SM3

CBPO

14-2
        Geo: Central East Coast, United States
        Grade: GS-7
        CBPO Exam: 9/16/2014
        NOR: 10/31/2014 - 110 (with Veteran's points)
        TSL: 11/18/2014
        Medical/PFT 1: 12/17/2014
        01/06/15 VBT/SI
        01/07/15 NOR for SI found "eligible"
        03/06/15 Poly- Scheduled

Good luck to everyone, this is not easy. I know good people that have not made it through the process. Let's all do our best to support and help each other through the process. I hope we all make it!

Comment

• Hope everyone had a safe and fun Thanksgiving! Just got back into my dorm. Three weeks left until graduation!

Jade, if you're still on this forum good luck coming in on Wednesday! Safe travels.
          Geo: SWB
          CBPO Exam: 09/24/13
          NOR: 92% - 10/28/13
          TSL - 01/31/14
          Medical/PFT1 - 02/19/14
          VBT/SI - 02/28/14
          BI - 03/15/14
          Poly - 04/30/14
          BI Cleared - 06/24/14
          Drug Test - 06/26/14
          The Call - 06/26/14
          PFT 2 - 07/11/14
          EOD - 07/14/14
          Academy - 08/14/14 - 12/23/14

Comment

• Originally posted by joshk24 View Post
            I really hope you are wrong.
            He is not wrong. CBP may pay match another DHS agency but likely will not for an agency outside of DHS. Not much call for CBP snipers or medics.

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by SM3 View Post
              Thanks FB, but just FYI (note the last sentence in particular),
              "Veterans with 5-point preference or 10-point non-compensable preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they qualify. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed at the top of the highest quality category depending on grade levels. "
              Yup, I know that well. You are talking certification lists not test score but what do I know I am only a Manager for the agency you are trying to get hired by. What would I know about hiring folks.

FB

Comment

It helped me, as I was wondering similar things. On that vein, are there medics (EMT's) on CBP teams like on ICE and other teams? How hard is it to become the team medic? I have been an EMT before and currently work as an RN. Thanks.
                CBP OFO does not currently have a medical program. One has been talked about for years. Some progress has been made in that there is a group in HQ talking about it. However, it is still a long way off. Thinks years.

FB

Comment

That would be great but I can't relocate to the boarder :-( Thanks for the info though. (I am assuming by BP you mean Boarder Patrol).
                  Hate to see that put that way. BP is Border Patrol. They are not a group of pirates boarding ships. They patrol the Border. That being said I can quite understand that relocation may not be an option. However, I truly believe you should consider it. From your posts and the information you have provided and asked for I do not think that you are a good fit for OFO. Actually, more truthfully OFO is not a good fit for you. I think you are going to find working for OFO very frustrating in the long run. Do not take that as a disparaging remark towards you at all. It is actually the opposite.

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
                    Yup, I know that well. You are talking certification lists not test score but what do I know I am only a Manager for the agency you are trying to get hired by. What would I know about hiring folks.

FB
                    Cool then maybe I did MUCH better than I thought. FYI, I appreciate the info and the point, the sarcasm I could leave :-) I took the last sentence to mean I got the 110 as a way to put me at the top of the highest quality category, but if you are on teh inside and have knowledge of how this really works, I guess I got 100.
                    SM3

CBPO

14-2
                    01/06/15 VBT/SI
                    03/06/15 Poly- Scheduled

Good luck to everyone, this is not easy. I know good people that have not made it through the process. Let's all do our best to support and help each other through the process. I hope we all make it!

Comment

Hate to see that put that way. BP is Border Patrol. They are not a group of pirates boarding ships. They patrol the Border. That being said I can quite understand that relocation may not be an option. However, I truly believe you should consider it. From your posts and the information you have provided and asked for I do not think that you are a good fit for OFO. Actually, more truthfully OFO is not a good fit for you. I think you are going to find working for OFO very frustrating in the long run. Do not take that as a disparaging remark towards you at all. It is actually the opposite.

FB
                      lol, now you sound like my wife :-) she says I'll have trouble putting up with the bureaucracy and office politics (she works in the government). She, however, is the one that won't move to the boarder, and from the guys/gals I knew at the NTC I think I will do okay (or better). I also really want a real retirement and the ability to buy back my 8 years in the Navy.
                      Getting into this program is such a long shot, I figure if I get in it's meant to be. I hope (and believe) I'll love it, but if not I'll suck it up until 57. Or, as a back-up plan, IF I get board or otherwise frustrated, I might try to move to an investigator position. A few guys at the NTC-C tried to talk me into it, but it was GS-12 and my application at that level never go anywhere, so I figured this COULD be a spring board to that. Just an option if I get on the inside and decide that looks like a good option. Any thoughts?
                      I appreciate the insight though. May I ask where you are located?
                      Last edited by SM3; 11-30-2014, 10:23 PM.
                      SM3

CBPO

14-2
                      01/06/15 VBT/SI
                      03/06/15 Poly- Scheduled

Comment

• Meeting with B. I. At 1300.

Comment

• Originally posted by Megan_T24 View Post
                          5.5 years federal cop.
                          I understand your vagueness with your agency since this is a public forum and I respect that. I'll just throw out what I've witnessed over the passed few years. MHC can be kinda difficult with regards to what they consider qualifications. They may not recognize "federal cop" jobs such as DIA Police, Pentagon Force Protection, MP's, DOD Police and Navy Security Forces. I'm not sure if it's because they consider these jobs are more of a security roll and don't produce enough investigative and case work or what but I won't get into this because I know it can be disrespectful to some. I witnessed firsthand that I friend was offered a 9 (BP will hire at 5, 7 or 9) because he was a Sheriff's Deputy, yet a classmate of his was only brought on as a 5 and he was prior Navy Security Forces..... Federal Cop right??? I know that the Sheriff's Deputy had to provide a lot of of paperwork and went round and round with MHC before they granted him his 9. On the flip side, he was in the hiring process much longer because of this. I also know of a senior Agent that was prior USAF Security Forces. Again, MHC wanted to start him as low as possible. Since this was back when mass hiring wasn't common, and I'm assuming they also didn't have so many willing applicants, this Agent was able to argue his case for the 9 and received it. He too had to provide a lot of paper working justifying his argument on prior experience and specific work he did in this roll. I'd hate to think MHC would pass up on someone that wants to argue their prior experience knowing they have thousands that will except a GS-5 offer. You never know and I guess it's a gamble you'd have to take. Good luck.
                          Last edited by CZ_Kid; 12-01-2014, 11:30 AM.

Comment

CBP OFO does not currently have a medical program. One has been talked about for years. Some progress has been made in that there is a group in HQ talking about it. However, it is still a long way off. Thinks years.

FB
                            This would be nice but I can see how budgeting monsters in HQ would/could argue it's not needed. Most POE's are in cities that have an adequate amount of first responders not to mention the ones already available at that actual airport. A lot of border crossing POE's are also located in towns or cities that obviously have their own EMT's. Your more remote POE's such as Sasabe or Lukeville would be vulnerable in the event of an emergency but these are located in areas where there is an abundance of BP Agents and there is USUALLY a certified EMT per shift working these areas that can respond. I'm not familiar with sea ports but again, they too would be located in towns/cities that have EMT's. I personally think a medical program/unit and all other specialty units are important and motivating for staff that might be looking for a change in pace to avoid getting burnt out from doing the same work.
                            Last edited by CZ_Kid; 12-01-2014, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nknapp16 View Post
                              Meeting with B. I. At 1300.
                              When long enough ago did you take your poly if you dont mind me asking?
                              CBPO: GS-5
                              Geo: SW
                              Tested: Sep '13
                              NOR (79): Oct 28th '13 // Geo changed to SW: Feb 20th '14
                              Medical/PFT1 passed: Apr 18th '14 // VBT/SI passed: May 25th '14
                              Equip sent: Jun 6th '14 // NOPA: Aug 5th '14
                              Poly: Oct 22nd '14 // Met with BI: Dec 18th '14
                              The Call: Mar 3rd '15 // Drug Test: Mar 6th '15
                              BI Cleared: Mar 3rd '15 // PFT 2: Mar 18th '15
                              EOD: Mar 30th '15 // FLETC: 4/23-8/27 '15

Comment

• Originally posted by CZ_Kid View Post
                                This would be nice but by budgeting monsters in H Q w ould/ could argu e it' s not n eeded. Most POE's are in cities that have an adequate amount of first responders not to mention the ones already available at that actual airport. A lot of border crossing POE's are also located in towns or cities that obviously have their own EMT's. Your more remote POE's such as Sasabe or Lukeville would be vulnerable in the event of an emergency but these are located in areas where there is an abundance of BP Agents and there is USUALLY a certified EMT per shift working these areas that can respond. I'm not familiar with sea ports but again, they too would be located in towns/cities that have EMT's. I personally think a medical program/unit and all other specialty units are important and motivating for staff that might be looking for a change in pace to avoid getting burnt out from doing the same work.
                                I've worked Sasabe. A great port. Somewhat remote...but only 70 minutes outside of Tuscon... by car.

North Dakota, Montana, Alaska, northeastern Minnesota, eastern Vermont, northern Maine..come to think of it much of the NB is arguably more rural than Sasabe.
                                I could see a need on a limited level for EMT's/first responders. A place like Piegan, MT or Alcan, AK are "way out there". That's assuming that anybody could get there easily. Drop three feet of snow there and land travel would largely shut down.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9282 users online. 392 members and 8890 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X