300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Justin03 View Post
    I received a not medically cleared last Friday, they ask that I get evaluated by an orthopedist and send in the report by Nov 11. The problem I have is that I live in Northern Maine and Orthopedist are limited up here. I am having trouble finding one that can evaluate me before my deadline. One of the Orthopedist I contacted advised that he has a PA-C that works under him and he could perform the evaluation and that he could sign off on it. Do you know if it is acceptable to see a PA-C to do the eval.
    I had the same problem, it delayed my process like 6 weeks. As long as its on letterhead from and orthopedic doctors office you should be fine. You should also write a letter to accompany the doctors letter telling them your situation. I suggest you get in contact with the nurse in charge of you file because the people answering the phones at mhc know how to answer the basics. Once you do that just FAX in all the paper work and make sure to follow up to make sure they receive it. I use to call them like once a week to make sure they didnt need anything else from me. They are really nice there and they will even call you to tell you the minute they clear you.

Comment

• Originally posted by shawal16 View Post
      Wow that's cool she lets you finish school. Basically you will walk out of college with a great job. Not many people can say that.
      Yeah talk about great timing! So I should start FLETC in Jan, I'm ready to go now. But its better this way, because I can spend the holidays with family.
      CBPO - Miami
      Pre-Employment Forms - completed
      Qualifications - GS 5
      Medical Exam - completed
      Structured Interview - Completed
      Drug Screening - completed
      Background Investigation - Completed
      Fitness - completed

Comment

• Originally posted by FIU24 View Post
        Quick Question - Why do they send you to your work location for three weeks prior to going to FLETC?
        Im at week 3 of pre academy in miami. It pretty sweet, you basically take a tour, get your ids and parking permit the first week and then you just sit in the training office taking computer test on immigration law and stuff like that. Oh yea there are like a bunch of boring videos you have to watch. If you start fletc in January you should be back in time for all the mandatory overtime you will want during the summer. They keep telling us that as newbies we basically wont have a life outside CBP during the summers in miami.

Comment

• Originally posted by cargo82 View Post
          Im at week 3 of pre academy in miami. It pretty sweet, you basically take a tour, get your ids and parking permit the first week and then you just sit in the training office taking computer test on immigration law and stuff like that. Oh yea there are like a bunch of boring videos you have to watch. If you start fletc in January you should be back in time for all the mandatory overtime you will want during the summer. They keep telling us that as newbies we basically wont have a life outside CBP during the summers in miami.
          Thats going to mess up my fishing in the summer lol. Oh well. Where did you choose to work? The Port or Airport? I heard the port is alot better in the sense there is more to do. Well they wanted me to start the pre academy on Oct 27th but I told the lady if it was possible to hold me until Dec because I graduate FIU now in dec. They said No problem, just had to fax them proof that I am in school.
          CBPO - Miami
          Pre-Employment Forms - completed
          Qualifications - GS 5
          Medical Exam - completed
          Structured Interview - Completed
          Drug Screening - completed
          Background Investigation - Completed
          Fitness - completed

Comment

• Originally posted by cargo82 View Post
            Are you from around there? I'm trying to figure out if/when I EOD if I have to find a place to stay near my port while doing pre-academy. Seeing as I live 9 hours away, commuting is out of the question. Ideas/thoughts?
            "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Originally posted by FIU24 View Post
              Thats going to mess up my fishing in the summer lol. Oh well. Where did you choose to work? The Port or Airport? I heard the port is alot better in the sense there is more to do. Well they wanted me to start the pre academy on Oct 27th but I told the lady if it was possible to hold me until Dec because I graduate FIU now in dec. They said No problem, just had to fax them proof that I am in school.
              Im at the airport. That is where you wanna be if you want the extra 35k in overtime. The port doesnt offer as much overtime. There really isnt more to do at the port, you are not under the watch of a supervisor as much. I was told that the port officers mainly deal with all the containers and cruise ships. I personally think that there is more to do at the airport. I know I will have to be stamping for the first year or so but there is a lot a opportunity to move up. Like applying for the rover team and all the other specialized units. Also there is talk that the 35k overtime cap could be raised to 45k. The port director said it was still in the legislature so it might take like another year for it to be possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by sap123 View Post
                Are you from around there? I'm trying to figure out if/when I EOD if I have to find a place to stay near my port while doing pre-academy. Seeing as I live 9 hours away, commuting is out of the question. Ideas/thoughts?
                Yea Im from miami. I suggest you find like a studio/efficiency apartment near the airport for that pre academy month. Look them up on craigslist, they will run you like $500 to $600 a month, you will find a lot. And while you are here you can start looking for a place for when you get back from fletc, there are a lot of forclosures for sale down here so I dont think you will have a problem finding something nice.

Comment

• SAP is up in Sacramento, CA and not going to MIA.
                  SAP:
                  You will have to find a place for the month or weeks of EOD, it will not be provided for you. I have a family member that was given the job in Orlando, Fl. and he lived in Puerto Rico, he had to find himself a place to stay for the month of EOD. So... I'd say craigslist could be a place to find something...

FIU24:
                  LUCKY YOU!... congrats... I graduated FIU in 2003... I miss MIA like you have no idea
                  CBPO
                  Written: 08/29/2007
                  EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Thanks to Yoda and Cargo82 for the responses. I went to university down where my geo pref is (San Diego), so I'm going to see about swinging a living arrangement with a friend or something while I'm down there for a month. I was just curious on what they did (or did not) have available. I had a feeling they weren't gonna put people in a hotel or anything, but had to ask. Also, craiglist IS the way to go. I've used it so much to get rid of stuff I don't need, get free stuff out of my parent's place, and to find residences for the past couple years while in school. So take the above poster's advice people: If you EOD where you're not living, use craigslist!
                    "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Hey FIU24,

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. I graduate Dec 15 also. But I took all of my classes online in case they were to call me before I could just finish my semester from a computer at FLETC.

I began the CBP process on 03/2008. I now have completed every step in the process except my background investigation which says : Case in the security office.

When did you begin the process and how long did your background take.

Comment

• Originally posted by grullj View Post
                        Hey FIU24,

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. I graduate Dec 15 also. But I took all of my classes online in case they were to call me before I could just finish my semester from a computer at FLETC.

I began the CBP process on 03/2008. I now have completed every step in the process except my background investigation which says : Case in the security office.

When did you begin the process and how long did your background take.

I also graduate from college in December...nice to see others

Comment

• By the way...I'm also graduating from FIU

Comment

• Today I got a call from my investigator. He told me that he had sent my case; but that his office called him for additional information. He said that he needed an additional "developed reference". My question is... if someone can help me.. did the adjudicator tell him to call me? or is it like his supervisor revised his job and found missing things? or he just found out that he needed more information and made up that history about his office calling up? it's been more than 3 weeks since he told me he had processed my case... I thought that I was close to get a call.
                            Last edited by depezhe; 10-14-2008, 12:21 AM.
                            TESTED: 3/21 EL CENTRO,CA
                            NOR: 4/21 - 92 (N/V) GS7
                            QUALIFICATIONS: COMPLETED (8/15)
                            GEO PREFERENCE: ANDRADE AZ/ CALEXICO CA
                            PRE-EMPLOYMENT FORMS:COMPLETED (5/29)
                            MEDICAL: COMPLETED(7/17)
                            FITNESS: COMPLETED(7/24)
                            VBT: (CALEXICO, CA) COMPLETED (7/22)
                            DRUG TEST: COMPLETED (7/25)
                            BI: CASE IS IN THE SECURITY OFFICE (met with the investigator (9/15) case sent to adjudicator(10/7)

Comment

• Just a general statement about getting places to live if you're not from the area. I work in logistics and we bring in new hires from less populated areas to work with us at major ports all the time. Just make sure you keep traffic and crime in mind.

I know this sounds basic, and I don't understand how it's not a no brainer. But I can't tell you the number of times we've had to let people go b/c they got an apartment 40 miles down the wrong highway in NJ, CA, or southern Florida, and never made it to work on time. Likewise keep crime in mind. There are tools on several website that let you see crime statistics laid over a map. The last thing you want is to be starting a new job and find out you're living in a war zone.

Again, I know these are kind of "duh" statements, but I wanted to throw them out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by depezhe View Post
                                Today I got a call from my investigator. He told me that he had sent my case; but that his office called him for additional information. He said that he needed an additional "developed reference". My question is... if someone can help me.. did the adjudicator tell him to call me? or is it like his supervisor revised his job and found missing things? or he just found out that he needed more information and made up that history about his office calling up? it's been more than 3 weeks since he told me he had processed my case... I thought that I was close to get a call.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but for your own sanity don't expect the call anytime soon. If they call great, but as Yoda and I can attest, waiting by the phone gets real old. Both of us had our BI's started 12/07. My file is sitting somewhere in DC, and someone totally forgot about Yoda's file. So, my point is, a lot can happen between now and the call. Just don't give up. Good luck to you.
                                ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
                                Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
                                March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
                                July 09 Oral Board
                                Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
                                Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4752 users online. 382 members and 4370 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X