• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Judgement....

....agreed.

I believe the reason was:

1. Credentials where in her purse.
    2. Driver's Lic, etc to show her place of residence.

I believe she was scared that the purse snatcher had that information and was afraid he'd go to her residence. That was her reasoning.

Agreed: Poor judgement.

Comment

• I got a letter in the mail today from the hiring unit telling me that I've been qualified for GS-7. I don't quite understand WHY I got the letter. It just says that they've qualified me for GS-7 and instructions on how to check my application status (hotline, CASS).

Is it normal to get these letters? They kinda seem like a waste of paper and money, even if I was an applicant that wasn't in the loop on how to check application status and the like. On top of that, contact information for MHC is on the TO, so I dunno.

EDIT: Okay honestly I think I posted this because I was let down that it wasn't the letter to schedule my VBT.
      Last edited by sap123; 10-10-2008, 05:13 PM.
      "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Originally posted by sap123 View Post
        I got a letter in the mail today from the hiring unit telling me that I've been qualified for GS-7. I don't quite understand WHY I got the letter. It just says that they've qualified me for GS-7 and instructions on how to check my application status (hotline, CASS).

Is it normal to get these letters? They kinda seem like a waste of paper and money, even if I was an applicant that wasn't in the loop on how to check application status and the like. On top of that, contact information for MHC is on the TO, so I dunno.

EDIT: Okay honestly I think I posted this because I was let down that it wasn't the letter to schedule my VBT.
        Hey there--yeah it's normal, I got the exact same letter and was annoyed for similar reasons. I think they also sent me a letter just reminding me to keep exercising, which I found rather funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
          Im not a lawyer and i feel for the woman's situation, but i dont think you can blast somebody in the back for taking your purse or wallet. Poor judgement and a little over zealous.
          You can only shoot somebody if that somebody is treating with a deadly weapon.
          TESTED: 3/21 EL CENTRO,CA
          NOR: 4/21 - 92 (N/V) GS7
          QUALIFICATIONS: COMPLETED (8/15)
          GEO PREFERENCE: ANDRADE AZ/ CALEXICO CA
          PRE-EMPLOYMENT FORMS:COMPLETED (5/29)
          MEDICAL: COMPLETED(7/17)
          FITNESS: COMPLETED(7/24)
          VBT: (CALEXICO, CA) COMPLETED (7/22)
          DRUG TEST: COMPLETED (7/25)
          BI: CASE IS IN THE SECURITY OFFICE (met with the investigator (9/15) case sent to adjudicator(10/7)

Comment

• Originally posted by depezhe View Post
            Yeah i know that, i was being slightly sarcastic. Just goes to show, no matter how much training you have or how much someone thinks they know about carrying a firearm, you just dont know what youre going to do when the sh** hits the fan.

Comment

• Not that I personally know anything about the shooting in question, but...

Man foiled in attempt to rob U.S. Customs agent
              The Associated Press
              Article Last Updated: 09/23/2008 06:40:31 AM PDT

OAKLAND, Calif.—Oakland police are looking for a would-be robber who may be suffering from a gunshot wound after trying to steal a purse from the wrong person.
              Police say when a man with a gun approached a woman and demanded her purse near Oakland's Chinatown Monday, the woman pulled out her own handgun and opened fire.

It turns out the woman was a U.S. Customs agent who was walking to work at the time of the incident.

She fired one round. Police found blood at the scene, indicating her shot hit the would-be robber.

The agent was taken to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries.

Her name has not been released.

———

Information from: The Oakland Tribune, http://www.oaklandtribune.com
              http://www.insidebayarea.com/search/...idebayarea.com

Emphasis mine.

Comment

• Originally posted by depezhe View Post
                If you say so...

Comment

• See, I would have just handed over my wallet and said "take it and don't hurt me." It's not worth trying to get out of a situation if I'm dead to rights by some punk who just wants whats in my wallet.

And while I'm playing "Armchair CBPO," I'll go for the bonus and say that if he took the purse, fled AND THEN she drew down and open fire, that's even worse.

Comment

If you're shooting a guy over a purse, you've got more to deal with than just the fact that CBP isn't repping you.
                    That "purse" was an agg. felony (with or without any weapon). Those of you without real world law enforcement experience need to sit back and learn, rather than monday morning quarterback!

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                      That "purse" was an agg. felony (with or without any weapon). Those of you without real world law enforcement experience need to sit back and learn, rather than monday morning quarterback!
                      Looks like you missed my post about me playing Armchair CBPO, the game where I sit on my computer, make judgement calls based on little or no facts and then act like I'm correct! WINNER EVERY TIME!

Comment

• I think the reason why there is a gray area in these shooting situations is that while we have laws that govern us, they are interpreted by man. One DA may see one person's actions as self defense while another may see it as second degree murder.

This subject seems to be of interest by many...
                        My opinion about being armed off duty. Im pretty sure its sounds cool and exciting to many of us applicants who are non leos waiting to have a taste of the leo world, but I think it may grow old after we start. Guns are heavy and seem like a burden. Carrying one for free may not seem cool anymore once we get used to having them on 8 hrs +. A lot of us will probably ending up taking karate classes so we wont need to use a gun when the theif comes... we just gonna jackie chan their asses instead! Just Joking.

But seriously, merlin keeps stressing that cbp shuns off duty action. And it makes sense. Gun situations are dangerous and cbp wants you to come to work the next day. Hopefully getting a job with cbp is not going to make us all of a sudden targets of theifs or get in a situation at the wrong place wrong time. If I lived in an area where I had to carry a gun and watch my back all the time, I would move to rio (i heard their gas was cheaper down there and man do they have women).

Like I said, I think its neat how cbp allows cbpos to carry concealed (it shows that they trust their employees), but Im pretty sure once we get hired, if we get hired, our life outside of cbp will return back to how it was before we became fleos (that is after we carry concealed a few times so we can take our new toys for a test drive and whisper to our friends "im armed"... just joking!). We are just going have to wait and see...
                        Last edited by Orleanian84; 10-11-2008, 12:32 AM. Reason: spelling
                        "Do you have an appointment?"

-Gupta Rajan

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                          If you say so...
                          I do not say so, Penal Code Section § 9.31. and § 9.32 say so!
                          TESTED: 3/21 EL CENTRO,CA
                          NOR: 4/21 - 92 (N/V) GS7
                          QUALIFICATIONS: COMPLETED (8/15)
                          GEO PREFERENCE: ANDRADE AZ/ CALEXICO CA
                          PRE-EMPLOYMENT FORMS:COMPLETED (5/29)
                          MEDICAL: COMPLETED(7/17)
                          FITNESS: COMPLETED(7/24)
                          VBT: (CALEXICO, CA) COMPLETED (7/22)
                          DRUG TEST: COMPLETED (7/25)
                          BI: CASE IS IN THE SECURITY OFFICE (met with the investigator (9/15) case sent to adjudicator(10/7)

Comment

• Originally posted by Orleanian84 View Post
                            But seriously, merlin keeps stressing that cbp shuns off duty action. And it makes sense. Gun situations are dangerous and cbp wants you to come to work the next day. Hopefully getting a job with cbp is not going to make us all of a sudden targets of theifs or get in a situation at the wrong place wrong time. If I lived in an area where I had to carry a gun and watch my back all the time, I would move to rio (i heard their gas was cheaper down there and man do they have women).
                            You bring up an interesting point, and without trying to put words into Merlin's mouth, I think he's referring to the liability that CBP has if one of its employees does something wrong or acts outside of policy or something. Being safe is key, I agree, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're not looking to get sued.

The bottom line is that if you're joining up with any agency just to carry a gun where ever and flashing a badge and what not, you're probably joining for the wrong reasons.

Comment

You bring up an interesting point, and without trying to put words into Merlin's mouth, I think he's referring to the liability that CBP has if one of its employees does something wrong or acts outside of policy or something. Being safe is key, I agree, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're not looking to get sued.

The bottom line is that if you're joining up with any agency just to carry a gun where ever and flashing a badge and what not, you're probably joining for the wrong reasons.
                              I agree. I personally just want a job that I enjoy going to so I can one day make enough money to buy a house, get married and have kids. The flashing badge stuff to look cool... ill let mike lowry do that when bad boys III comes out.
                              "Do you have an appointment?"

-Gupta Rajan

Comment

• Originally posted by Orleanian84 View Post
                                I agree. I personally just want a job that I enjoy going to so I can one day make enough money to buy a house, get married and have kids. The flashing badge stuff to look cool... ill let mike lowry do that when bad boys III comes out.
                                Okay but admit it. You'd love to shout out some sort of wild catchphrase and blow up some terrorist scum to bits.

YOU FORGOT YO BOARDIN PASS *BLAM BLAM BLAM*

BOOOOOOM

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5464 users online. 295 members and 5169 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X