300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello..

I've been lurking around for a while. I figured I should post my dates for what thats worth.

NOR: 7/7 98
    QUALIFICATIONS: Pending (Qualifying based on education)
    GEO PREFERENCE: AZ
    PRE-EMPLOYMENT FORMS:Pending
    MEDICAL: 9/4 Shows Pending in CASS
    FITNESS: 9/4 Shows Pending in CASS
    VBT: 9/4 (Tucson, AZ) COMPLETED in CASS
    DRUG TEST: Pending
    BI: CASE IS IN THE SECURITY OFFICE (met with the investigator 10/7)

My investigator told me he has 1 week to get his investigation finished and entered in to the system.

I worked as a customs inspector in 2002 before leaving to explore other things. I turned 35 this year so returning to Customs was now or never for me with the changes.

Erik
    CBP Officer
    NOR: 7/7 98
    QUALIFICATIONS: Pending (Qualifying based on education)
    GEO PREFERENCE: AZ
    PRE-EMPLOYMENT FORMS:Pending
    MEDICAL: 9/4 Shows Pending in CASS
    FITNESS: 9/4 Shows Pending in CASS
    VBT: 9/4 (Tucson, AZ) COMPLETED in CASS
    DRUG TEST: Pending
    BI: CASE IS IN THE SECURITY OFFICE (met with the investigator 10/7)

Comment

• chaos82
      Forum Member

Posts: 9 Any tester from June 2008 and after receive a TO for PA or MIA, if so what was you score. Thanks

I tested in July 2008 for PA. I scored a 95 with 5 points for being a veteran(100 total). I have still not received a TO or any other word on anything.
      Last edited by MP115CO; 10-09-2008, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MP115CO View Post
        chaos82
        Forum Member

Posts: 9 Any tester from June 2008 and after receive a TO for PA or MIA, if so what was you score. Thanks

I tested in July 2008 for PA. I scored a 95 with 5 points for being a veteran(100 total). I have still not received a TO or any other word on anything.
        I tested in July 2008, GEO preference: Miami, score: 93 (no vet points). I received a TO about a week or 10 days ago (I'd have to check.)

Comment

• I was wondering what level do you start as an CBPO?
          What is the salary?
          What are of-duty weapons allowed?
          Duty weapon?

Thanks,
          LASD
          Written Test 10/08
          Oral Interview 10/08
          Turn in packet 10/08
          Background Investigator 12/08
          Polygraph 12/08
          Coopers Test 1/09
          Ride Along 1/09
          Jail Tour 1/09
          Background Submited 4/01/09

Comment

• Originally posted by Colt1911 View Post
            I was wondering what level do you start as an CBPO?
            What is the salary?
            Duty weapon?

Thanks,
            GS-5/GS-7 depending on qualifications, the pay scale can be looked up and depends also on locality pay.

The other two questions someone else will have to answer.

Comment

• I met with my BI about 5 weeks ago… everything went excellent. My BI was very nice and called me a couple times throughout the process to verify a couple minor things. Yesterday, I received a 3 page certified letter from Office of Internal Affairs stating that I am unsuitable for the job because of “Associations with Criminals.”

I have been prepping myself my whole life for a LEO job and have absolutely NOTHING on my record. Perfect credit, no crimes, no speeding tickets, never done an illegal drug, etc. I don’t understand. I don’t even know who they are talking about… the only association with criminal I have is every day when I go to work as a Corrections Officer. People I have told about what happened have said “If you can’t pass a background investigation, who can?”

The letter states that I can argue my case and file an appeal within 30 days. How do I argue something when I don’t even know what they are talking about. I emailed my BI and she told me that by law she isn’t allowed to tell me anything. There is no phone number for the OIA (just an address). Where do I go from here?

Comment

• Originally posted by gms632 View Post
                I met with my BI about 5 weeks ago… everything went excellent. My BI was very nice and called me a couple times throughout the process to verify a couple minor things. Yesterday, I received a 3 page certified letter from Office of Internal Affairs stating that I am unsuitable for the job because of “Associations with Criminals.”

I have been prepping myself my whole life for a LEO job and have absolutely NOTHING on my record. Perfect credit, no crimes, no speeding tickets, never done an illegal drug, etc. I don’t understand. I don’t even know who they are talking about… the only association with criminal I have is every day when I go to work as a Corrections Officer. People I have told about what happened have said “If you can’t pass a background investigation, who can?”

The letter states that I can argue my case and file an appeal within 30 days. How do I argue something when I don’t even know what they are talking about. I emailed my BI and she told me that by law she isn’t allowed to tell me anything. There is no phone number for the OIA (just an address). Where do I go from here?

You received what is called a NOPA letter. There are several of us here who have received them. Basically, it is an official way for someone in DC to get a formal clarification on an issue. It's not the end of the world.

just like everything else, tell the truth. I would go over your entire background, and clarify anything that may be causing your issue. It may be something minor, but needs further explanation. If you can't think of anything, then write a more formal and in depth letter, just like you explained here.

The downside is, it can take a LONG time to get an answer. I'm around 90 days total since I replied. And my background started 12/07. From what I was told, I am just waiting to get the final approval, but God only knows where my file is.
                ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
                Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
                March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
                July 09 Oral Board
                Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
                Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

• Originally posted by sap123 View Post
                  Wait what? You said you have data but not evidence to support your claim... I consider them one in the same. So bottom line, do you or do you not?
                  Sorry.

I meant NO data. It has been changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Colt1911 View Post
                    I was wondering what level do you start as an CBPO?
                    What is the salary?
                    Duty weapon?

Thanks,
                    Since the first two were already answered for you...

3. There are no authorized off-duty weapons outside of your issued on-duty weapon.
                    4. Currently the issued weapon is the HK P2000 .40 caliber. For the most part...that's it. There are some exceptions though. Among them, a limited number of ports allow for the use of 12 gauge shotguns.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post

3. There are no authorized off-duty weapons outside of your issued on-duty weapon..
                      Just out of curiosity what would the ramifications/consequences be of getting a CCW from your local county and then carrying as a "civilian"?

I know there is some debate here about HR218, but it seems a CCW would cya from the Fed.
                      ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
                      Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
                      March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
                      July 09 Oral Board
                      Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
                      Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

• Originally posted by will0861 View Post
                        Just out of curiosity what would the ramifications/consequences be of getting a CCW from your local county and then carrying as a "civilian"?

I know there is some debate here about HR218, but it seems a CCW would cya from the Fed.
                        As I understand it, CBPOs are allowed to get a CCW permit in their state and then adhere to the CCW laws and regs of that state. Basically, if you're involved in a self defense shooting using your own weapon and a CCW license, it will be treated as if you are Joe Citizen and not CBPO Joe McLaw. CBP doesn't have a problem with their employees having a CCW, just don't expect them to come to your aid if you do indeed end up using your CCW.

This is all information I have skimmed off a CBPO I know. Anyone else with better information should chime in and/or correct me. HR218 isn't exactly the groundwork that everyone thinks it is. Merlin has brought up a good point in the past; as far as case law or rulings go, it is largely untested. The US Attorney General has put out opinions on HR218 only pertaining to DoJ employees (minus a couple outfits, like ICE and FAM). So really it's a big grey area that has yet to see any absolution come from it.

But if your state allows CCW with whatever steps to get it (permit application, classes, etc) go for it. Those of us in states like California....yea well if I were a CBPO I would probably just stick to my duty weapon.
                        "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

I met with my BI about 5 weeks ago… everything went excellent. My BI was very nice and called me a couple times throughout the process to verify a couple minor things. Yesterday, I received a 3 page certified letter from Office of Internal Affairs stating that I am unsuitable for the job because of “Associations with Criminals.”

Call IA and speak to your adjudicator. You need to know what they are talking about so that you can respond.

Comment

Is the address for your to reply, a DC or TX Internal Affairs address?

jrq16

Comment

• Originally posted by will0861 View Post
                              You received what is called a NOPA letter. There are several of us here who have received them. Basically, it is an official way for someone in DC to get a formal clarification on an issue. It's not the end of the world.

just like everything else, tell the truth. I would go over your entire background, and clarify anything that may be causing your issue. It may be something minor, but needs further explanation. If you can't think of anything, then write a more formal and in depth letter, just like you explained here.

The downside is, it can take a LONG time to get an answer. I'm around 90 days total since I replied. And my background started 12/07. From what I was told, I am just waiting to get the final approval, but God only knows where my file is.
                              Will,

Have you tried doing a follow-up? If so what was their answer?

jrq16

Comment

Not being ugly and just taking a guess, maybe one of your references has a criminal history?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4815 users online. 200 members and 4615 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X