300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MIRACLE View Post
    Finally got an email, i'll be scheduling my test date on the 28th for next month's test.
    Looks like the process for 14-2 is starting up.

Comment

• Thought I'd share some tips a member from another forum posted regarding the academy.

Here's the link for those intereted in reading it:
      http://www.911jobforums.com/f58/some-tips-fletc-30228/

I posted this over on my CBP Delphi forum, but I thought I'd share it with the kind folks at 911jobforums as well. I hope you find it informative (PLEASE NOTE: A few tips pertain to the CBP Academy, but most will apply to everyone coming down here):

"I've finished my first week (almost 2 actually) at FLETC and I've compiled some tips which I hope will come in handy when some of you come here:

1. Bring you own pillow: The pillow provided by FLETC feels like it's been filled with rolled up socks. It's lumpy and you won't like it probably...so if you can bring you own.

2. The tap water tastes funny down here: If you are sensitive about how water taste in the first place, I recommend going over to FLETC Express (the convenience store on campus) or Wal-Mart and buying bottled water.

3. The food isn't THAT bad (DISCLAIMER - I'm only in week 1): There's enough variety that you won't get entirely sick of it quickly. Chicken is in abundance and squirrels for some reason AREN'T, however that's besides the point. I recommend mixing it up and ordering and/or eating out every so often. The cafeteria supposedly offers nutrional meals suggestions for those of you who need a more controlled diet and want to get healthy (who doesn't?)

4. In my opinion, the ladies who cut hair on campus are pretty good...especially for $8. I say this b/c they did a good job cutting my hair. However some ppl haven't had as good of an experience. Buyer beware. PLUS, for those of you who didn't know, they offer FREE PIZZA on Saturdays. They are located near FLETC Express.

5. You will receive a LOT of books and handouts: However you will be given the opportunity to send them back to your home in four boxes (the boxes aren't huge though).

6. Your arrest techniques instructors mean business: Don't joke around at all during class. They have no qualms about kicking people out of class.

7. There are a lot of rules to follow down here: Your class coordinator will explain many or most of the major ones to you. Otherwise general campus rules will be provided to you in your dorms. Even though there are a lot of rules, you can still enjoy yourself here.

8. Get into shape: Do some light running....I don't know, maybe between 1.5-2 miles. Also, stretch, stretch, stretch those hamstrings, glutes and lower back. Fitness isn't quite participation only. It really depends on your instructor. However if you score below 25% in any event in the PEB, the instructor will write a letter to your port, that you weren't in shape. The 25% I think pertains to the 2nd PEB test towards the end of the academy.

9. Smurfs aren't forever: You'll be wearing a somewhat faded outfit known as a smurf. You won't wear it for th whole academy, but you and ther rest of the class will be wearing them for awhile.

10. The track is really nice to run on. It's made out of that pebblized hard rubbery substance. I like it...plus there are a few courses of varying lengths to run around here.

11. The gym is pretty good. Lot of equipment. I believe there is a nutritionist on staff. Many trainers. Take advantage of the gym. Don't worry, everyone has to wear the same clothes to the gym anyway, so no fashion statements. Good news is when you're done working out, you can give the sweaty, dirty gym uniforms to the staff, and they'll give you nice fresh ones.

12. Bring a car if you can manage. It'll help you get off base once in awhile, which is a necessity for your sanity. Plus you'll be very popular with your classmates.

13. Movies are cheap down here and recreation in general: Sunday matinees at the theatre off campus is only $5. FLETC has a recreation program filled with stuff to do both on and off campus.

14. LOTS of agencies train here: Over 70 agencies train here. CBP is FLETC's biggest "client" for lack of a better word.

15. Don't come down here and drink every night and flunk out: There a lot of opportunities to party. However think about this: A lot of folks would do anything to be in the spot you are in. DON'T SQUANDER IT. I'm not saying, don't party. However don't be a screw up, when there are other folks in line who will apply themselves and do well.

16. Your Schedule: You'll receive a schedule for the entire academy training. You will know from your first day till your last day, hour to hour, what is on the agenda, so surprises.

17. Lunch time gets crowded at the cafeteria: Dinner and Breakfast aren't so bad...but lunch is crowded.

18. The dorm rooms are small: Unless you get the Taj Mahal at 185,186, & 187. Don't worry, you have no control over which dorm you get. But if you get 71, like where I am, you're centrally located (near the classrooms, cafeteria, FLETC convenience store, gym ,etc.). However the room is small and you must share a bathroom (toilet and shower) with the person next door. You will have a sink in your room. Think college dorm size, but a TAD smaller. However it's not terrible. BRING YOUR OWN PILLOW THOUGH.

19. G-bar drinks are cheap. 'Nuff said. Be careful though.

20. Sally's Cop Shop has some cool gear...reasonable prices for knives, since most will need them at your port. FLETC Express has some nice souvenirs as well, not to mention some gear.

21. There is church services on campus: I haven't attended yet, but just so you know.

22. Bugs are a pain in the butt. I haven't bought Skin So Soft b/c some of the instructors weren't impressed with it. I bought Deep Woods Off. Guy in Wal-Mart said to get something with at least 25-3-% DEET.

23. BE RESPECTFUL OF THE LOCALS. This includes FLETC security. just b/c you have a badge (actually you don't yet, but....) doesn't make your better than them. ALWAYS show them proper respect.

24. Bring a good pair of running shoes: Also, I bought court shoes however some ppl used black soled cross-trainers on the b-ball gym floor and the instructors didn't make a big deal of it.

25. Don't overpack: You won't need a suit (for CBP class). Laundry detergent can be bought at Wal-mart, as can the bug spray. Wal-mart is huge b/c it doubles as a supermarket, so don't worry about food.

26. Our dorm did not have hangers: You can by a set of 12 at Wal-mart for cheap.

27. Your room comes with a safe: Comes in handy b/c it's big enough to fit a lap top and some other small stuff.

28. Our dorm didn't come with TV: However the Taj Majal (MUCH nicer, but further away extended stays being used by FLETC) does. If you don't get the Taj, once again, you can goto Wal-mart and buy the FLETC special (13" color TV for $60). TV's are a hot commodity here, so when it's time to go, you shouldn't have a hard time selling it to someone.

I can't give any advice or information about the classes. You'll find out when you get here. We can't even talk about tests or anything with other classes here. They don't mess around and they WILL send you home.

Well that's it for now. I hope this comes in handy. Hope you land here soon.

Jim"

Comment

• Well, it looks like they are still doing the step test. For anyone else going into the process and are still pending PFT, I encourage you to train with lots of cardio in between. The step test is easy at first but starts to tire you at the end. Overall it was good! Good luck!

Comment

• Got my PFT1/Medical call today. Have it scheduled for Wednesday 08/20; in town too. I'm pretty damn excited that I don't have to fly anywhere for this exam.
          Geo: West Coast
          CBPO Exam: June 2014
          NOR: July 2014
          TSL: August 2014
          eQIP Sent: August 2014
          Med & PFT1: August 2014 (pending & passed)
          VBT & SI: September 2014 (passed)
          Poly:, BI Cleared:, Drug Test:, PFT2:, & EOD: (pending)

Comment

• Originally posted by UNLVegas View Post
            Got my PFT1/Medical call today. Have it scheduled for Wednesday 08/20; in town too. I'm pretty damn excited that I don't have to fly anywhere for this exam.
            Same here! Scheduled for PFT1 and Medical, Friday August 29 in Orlando, FL. Woo Hoo!

Comment

• Anyone in the Philadephia New Jersey area been contacted for the VBT or medical?

Comment

• [QUOTE=Jess_Av;3508394]Well, it looks like they are still doing the step test. For anyone else going into the process and are still pending PFT, I encourage you to train with lots of cardio in between. The step test is easy at first but starts to tire you at the end. Overall it was good! Good luck![/Quote

That's what I needed to know!
                May you meet upon the level and part upon the square
                USPIS

Applied:
                01/28/2019
                Exam Part 1 Passed: 01/28/2019
                eCAP Submitted: 01/29/2019
                Info Exchange: ?

CBPO, GEO: Midwest

Applied on: 05/05/14
                CBPO Exam: 6/12/14
                NOR:7/14/14=score 86 (with VET preference)
                TSL: 8/1/14
                EQIP/FINGERPRINTS- 8/14/14
                MED/PFT1: 8/29/14
                VBT/SI: 09/19/14
                POLY: 11/03/14
                BI: Passed Feb 2015
                EOD: Turned down the offer due to an undesired location

Comment

• Originally posted by Laly1102 View Post
                  Hey Everybody!
                  I'm from NY. I took my written exam a month ago. This week they send me the eQuip to fill out and the VBT Date. Anybody going or already did the VBT at the JFK. Any suggestions? Do they have parking or is it better to take the train? TKS
                  WOW! You guys are going lightning fast!

I did my VBT & PFT at JFK. They have parking, just make sure you don't park in a spot that's marked "reserved."
                  Good luck! The two officers that interviewed me were really nice. Any other questions feel free to PM me
                  Civitas Ad Mare
                  LBAPD

CBPO 13-1

NOR: 9/13
                  TSL: 12/18/13
                  PFT1/Med: 1/14
                  VBT/SI: 5/14 (eligible)
                  BI submitted: 6/25/14 (currently in Security office)
                  Drug test: TBD
                  Polygraph: TBD
                  PFT2: TBD
                  EOD: Hopefully one day!

FBI Special Agent
                  Online App: 8/12/14

Comment

• [QUOTE=jaybous;3508462]
                    Originally posted by Jess_Av View Post
                    Well, it looks like they are still doing the step test. For anyone else going into the process and are still pending PFT, I encourage you to train with lots of cardio in between. The step test is easy at first but starts to tire you at the end. Overall it was good! Good luck![/Quote

That's what I needed to know!
                    Don't get stressed with the step test in the PFT1, I'm going to give you a trick. You are going to start with your strong leg, and each minute change the leading leg (if you start with left one, when you get 1 minute change to right leg). If you make this, you won't fatigue your legs. Hope this can help.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Aguadillano;3508594]
                      Originally posted by jaybous View Post

Don't get stressed with the step test in the PFT1, I'm going to give you a trick. You are going to start with your strong leg, and each minute change the leading leg (if you start with left one, when you get 1 minute change to right leg). If you make this, you won't fatigue your legs. Hope this can help.
                      Thanks for the advice . I was just curious if the change went into effect yet or not. I hope they call soon to schedule the PFT and Medical. Been jogging 2-3 miles few times a week. This PFT doesn't seem to hard compared to Air Force pt test I'm used to.
                      May you meet upon the level and part upon the square
                      USPIS

Applied:
                      01/28/2019
                      Exam Part 1 Passed: 01/28/2019
                      eCAP Submitted: 01/29/2019
                      Info Exchange: ?

CBPO, GEO: Midwest

Applied on: 05/05/14
                      CBPO Exam: 6/12/14
                      NOR:7/14/14=score 86 (with VET preference)
                      TSL: 8/1/14
                      EQIP/FINGERPRINTS- 8/14/14
                      MED/PFT1: 8/29/14
                      VBT/SI: 09/19/14
                      POLY: 11/03/14
                      BI: Passed Feb 2015
                      EOD: Turned down the offer due to an undesired location

Comment

• Hey does anyone want to swap to champlain? I'm looking to get closer to home (boston)

Comment

• At what number should i fax a form that was not included in my e-qip?

Comment

• Originally posted by Catanz22 View Post
                            Hey does anyone want to swap to champlain? I'm looking to get closer to home (boston)
                            I don't think you can do a swap until you are off of your probation right around the year mark.

Comment

• Originally posted by USCG LEME View Post
                              GOT THE CALL TO SCHEDULE MY DRUG TEST!!!

Does anybody know what I can expect Next. My drug test is scheduled for tomorrow, but I was wondering if that means I passed my Background...I would assume that it does. Also, should I be hopefully getting the call from the scheduling office soon?
                              Are the same people that called you to schedule the medical and pft1, the ones that called you for the drug test?

Comment

• Issues has been resolved.
                                Last edited by VirginiaPlain; 08-15-2014, 04:14 PM. Reason: Answered

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12100 users online. 434 members and 11666 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X