Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by juniorspades View Post
    Just passed my PFT2, I failed 2 years ago. Re-applied, went through a lot of the process again.
    I EOD On Aug 11, FLETC from Sept 9 - Jan 22. Anyone else going to be down there?
    Congratulations buddy. Which port for EOD?
    Geo: West Coast
    CBPO Exam: June 2014
    NOR: July 2014
    TSL: August 2014
    eQIP Sent: August 2014
    Med & PFT1: August 2014 (pending & passed)
    VBT & SI: September 2014 (passed)
    Poly:, BI Cleared:, Drug Test:, PFT2:, & EOD: (pending)

    Comment


    • I look forward to applying for the opening in the Northeast region that just came up a few days ago. I am waiting for administrative nonsense with my university to clear up some credit transfers from my study abroad so I can finally, or rather "officially" graduate. The job posting says transcripts must have a degree conferred on date, so my registrar's office better get their butts in gear! If I miss it because of that I will be really upset to say the least...and it closes in two weeks!!
      CBPO 14-3 Central East Coast Region

      Applied 10/3/14
      Exam 12/6/14
      NOR 1/12/15 (Passed, 90)
      TS 1/23/15
      Medical/PFT1 3/12/15 (Passed PFT)
      TSL Packet Received 3/20/15 Submitted 3/25/15
      VBT/SI 4/6/15 (Passed)
      TSL "In security office" 4/8/15
      Polygraph Inconclusive 4/27/15
      Second Polygraph awaiting the wrath (or mercy!) of QC 5/27/15
      Removed from consideration due to "unfavorable polygraph" 7/9/15

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Kiernyc View Post
        I look forward to applying for the opening in the Northeast region that just came up a few days ago. I am waiting for administrative nonsense with my university to clear up some credit transfers from my study abroad so I can finally, or rather "officially" graduate. The job posting says transcripts must have a degree conferred on date, so my registrar's office better get their butts in gear! If I miss it because of that I will be really upset to say the least...and it closes in two weeks!!
        You could possibly still qualify with 3 yrs work experience.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by shawal16 View Post
          I'm not doubting the fact that a PA held dual citizenship. However, I'm highly doubting the fact that the agency was aware of it. I'm a Fed LEO with ICE and when I was sworn in, I pledged allegiance to the US. It's a conflict of interest to pledge allegiance to the US but be a citizen of another country. Furthermore, when he became a naturalized USC he was supposed to renounce his current citizenship. http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/...states-america

          "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen..." Excerpt from the naturalization oath.

          http://travel.state.gov/content/trav...tionality.html

          This link ^ is on the same USCIS site you replied to me with. It shows in a nutshell that you do not have to give up foreign nationality/citizenship. I am also a FED LEO with CBP and I think you know as well as I do, that hiding the fact that you are also a citizen of another country, especially for 20 some odd years would not be the easiest thing to do. Furthermore, the Naturalization Oath you mention, while may still be used, has never been enforced. And I am pretty sure there have been multiple Supreme Court rulings against portions of it. Not looking to start a ****ing match or argument here by any means, I just happen to know of a dual citizen that worked for the government, specifically CBP. And I am almost positively certain that there are quite a few dual citizens working for the Department of State.

          https://careers.state.gov/uploads/2a...itizenship.pdf

          And this Department of State memo kind of implies the fact that dual citizenship can exist even while working for the gov. But, like I said before, can be an issue when considering security clearances.

          You can also look into Department of State regulation 7 FAM 1162.

          Again I don't mean for any of this to come off the wrong way, I just know it has happened.....

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Ocsk8er03 View Post
            http://travel.state.gov/content/trav...tionality.html

            This link ^ is on the same USCIS site you replied to me with. It shows in a nutshell that you do not have to give up foreign nationality/citizenship. I am also a FED LEO with CBP and I think you know as well as I do, that hiding the fact that you are also a citizen of another country, especially for 20 some odd years would not be the easiest thing to do. Furthermore, the Naturalization Oath you mention, while may still be used, has never been enforced. And I am pretty sure there have been multiple Supreme Court rulings against portions of it. Not looking to start a ****ing match or argument here by any means, I just happen to know of a dual citizen that worked for the government, specifically CBP. And I am almost positively certain that there are quite a few dual citizens working for the Department of State.

            https://careers.state.gov/uploads/2a...itizenship.pdf

            And this Department of State memo kind of implies the fact that dual citizenship can exist even while working for the gov. But, like I said before, can be an issue when considering security clearances.

            You can also look into Department of State regulation 7 FAM 1162.

            Again I don't mean for any of this to come off the wrong way, I just know it has happened.....
            With all that being said though, im sure different agencies have different rules on the matter regardless of what certain laws may say. And the guy I know came on board with CBP in the 80's so in sure much has changed since then.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Kiernyc View Post
              I look forward to applying for the opening in the Northeast region that just came up a few days ago. I am waiting for administrative nonsense with my university to clear up some credit transfers from my study abroad so I can finally, or rather "officially" graduate. The job posting says transcripts must have a degree conferred on date, so my registrar's office better get their butts in gear! If I miss it because of that I will be really upset to say the least...and it closes in two weeks!!
              If I remember correctly you can add your transcripts in application manager after you apply. So long as you do it before the announcement closes. Which I guess doesn't help you too much. But I mention this because even though the announcement says it closes on the 6th it also says in there that it will close on either the 6th or the night that they reach 12000 applicants. To give you an idea, the last announcement opened on May 1st and was supposed to close on the 15th or the night they reached 10000 applicants. That announcement closed on the 8th with over 10k applicants. So not to pressure you or anything, but you might wanna start applying now and start making some phone calls to your university. I would hate to see someone miss it over a transcript. Like someone else mentioned though you can probably qualify at the 5 level with just work experience.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Ocsk8er03 View Post
                With all that being said though, im sure different agencies have different rules on the matter regardless of what certain laws may say. And the guy I know came on board with CBP in the 80's so in sure much has changed since then.
                I'm not intending to to initiate a ****ing match either. You are right different agencies have different rules. You can be an LPR and still work for some government agencies. However, I only responded to the question because the OP needed to be aware that its highly unlikely that you will be found suitable for an agency that one of its primary goals is immigration if you are a citizen of another country.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by shawal16 View Post
                  I'm not intending to to initiate a ****ing match either. You are right different agencies have different rules. You can be an LPR and still work for some government agencies. However, I only responded to the question because the OP needed to be aware that its highly unlikely that you will be found suitable for an agency that one of its primary goals is immigration if you are a citizen of another country.
                  Yea I hear ya, and regardless of the rules the OP stands a much better chance renouncing his foreign citizenship anyway. At least it will be much less of a headache come background time.....

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Ocsk8er03 View Post
                    Yea I hear ya, and regardless of the rules the OP stands a much better chance renouncing his foreign citizenship anyway. At least it will be much less of a headache come background time.....
                    By the way, since you are FED LEO as well, what are you hearing about the background/poly and some of the other processes? Are we exempt from some of it? I couldn't get a definitive answer from MHC.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by shawal16 View Post
                      I'm not intending to to initiate a ****ing match either. You are right different agencies have different rules. You can be an LPR and still work for some government agencies. However, I only responded to the question because the OP needed to be aware that its highly unlikely that you will be found suitable for an agency that one of its primary goals is immigration if you are a citizen of another country.

                      Sorry for the double post....can't figure out this forum on my phone....

                      "By the way, since you are FED LEO as well, what are you hearing about the background/poly and some of the other processes? Are we exempt from some of it? I couldn't get a definitive answer from MHC."

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Ocsk8er03 View Post
                        By the way, since you are FED LEO as well, what are you hearing about the background/poly and some of the other processes? Are we exempt from some of it? I couldn't get a definitive answer from MHC.
                        I work for ERO..so I would assume that I would have to take all the steps. I just got my 5 year done a few months ago so I'm hoping they won't need another BI. But if you are CBP.. I think you only have to do the MED/PFT.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by shawal16 View Post
                          I'm not doubting the fact that a PA held dual citizenship. However, I'm highly doubting the fact that the agency was aware of it. I'm a Fed LEO with ICE and when I was sworn in, I pledged allegiance to the US. It's a conflict of interest to pledge allegiance to the US but be a citizen of another country. Furthermore, when he became a naturalized USC he was supposed to renounce his current citizenship. http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/...states-america

                          "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen..." Excerpt from the naturalization oath.

                          My guess is that particular PA never naturalized. Most US/Canada nationals I know are either USCs born abroad to at least on USC parent or US-born USC kids of Canadian citizens.

                          I know of several CBPO/BPAs who are dual nationals. While it probably adds a certain amount of complexity to backgrounds and security clearances, especially to those who are citizens of certain countries of interest, it is by no means a "career-ender", in and of itself.

                          Comment


                          • Congratulations buddy. Which port for EOD?
                            Thanks, JFK for EOD
                            EOD - 08/2014
                            FLETC - 9/14 - 01/15
                            DUTY LOC - JFK (CENTRAL EAST)

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by shawal16 View Post
                              I work for ERO..so I would assume that I would have to take all the steps. I just got my 5 year done a few months ago so I'm hoping they won't need another BI. But if you are CBP.. I think you only have to do the MED/PFT.
                              Well I hope that's the case. That would be nice. MHC says it will be explained, what all we have to do in the TSL which I think we should be getting next week. But we shall see. I don't think you will have to do the background/poly as you still fall under DHS. From what I have heard in the past is if you surpass the 2.5 year mark from your last BI then they will go ahead and do another one since you will be due for it soon anyway. So I would think you would be good to go. I did my 5 year a couple years ago so I'm kinda hoping they get the ball rolling fast on this one.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Ocsk8er03 View Post
                                NOT TRUE.....and the US does now recognize dual citizenship however they do not favor it as a matter of policy. I do know a PA that retired not long ago that was a dual citizen of US and Canada. With that being said you may have issues down the road when/if you need to obtain a secret or top secret security clearance. Contrary to popular belief, Officers/Agents are usually only hired with a confidential security clearance which I don't believe having dual citizenship will hinder. In either case I don't believe you will have to renounce your citizenship, but you should call and confirm with someone soon......
                                Actually, sir, you are wrong. The term dual citizenship is more slang than anything. The United States doesn't recognize it. You are either a US Citizen, or you are not. Plain and simple.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 5524 users online. 303 members and 5221 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X