300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ocsk8er03 View Post
    Well life in Van Buren is pretty much NoN Existent, honestly speaking. It's a small town. The closest town to live would be either Caribou or Presque Isle and quite frankly there isn't much there either. Hey we got a Walmart kind of town lol. As far as OFO here there isn't much going on either. I'm not to sure about Jackman or Calais. I'm pretty sure Jackman is in the middle if nowhere as well. Calais is on the coast so I'd say that would probably be your best choice as far as Maine goes. I'm not sure where Coburn Gore is? Winters here suck but if your from Boston you know how that is. Although im sure it's a bit worse here. It's expensive as hell here as well, as far heating your house and what not goes anyway. Taxes are really high here also. I'm sure being from Boston you're familiar with most of the downsides here. I hate to be a Debbie downer here but I can't think of many upsides. I guess it just depends on what you want in life. But Calais would be my choice for what you have listed. At least there you are close to Bar Harbor and it's pretty down there. Your also a little closer to civilization. Bangor is the closest big town from Van Buren or really from anywhere northern Maine wise anyway and the population there is only in the 30-40 thousands I believe. Bangor is 3 hours from the Caribou area. Let me know if you want anymore specifics. Again sorry I am just not a big fan of this place but that doesn't mean you won't be.
    Thanks, that's kind of what I expected. Are these places like a death sentence, or are there opportunities elsewhere maybe 5-10 years down the road or whatever? I'll be 36 this summer, so this is really my last chance. I guess if I make it through the rest of the process, I'll make the best of what it is.
    Geo: Northeast
    Written Test: 8/28/2013 (97 no vet points)
    NOR: 9/9/2013
    TSL: 11/27/2013
    Medical/PT: 12/19/2014
    VBT/SI: 01/02/2014
    Medical cleared: 04/08/4014
    Equip/fingerprints received: 04/11/2014
    Poly: 05/27/2014
    Received NOPA: 06/30/2014
    Replied to NOPA: 07/22/2014
    1st meeting with BI: 08/06/2014
    2nd meeting with BI: 08/08/2014
    Drug Test: 09/25/2014
    All green checks: 09/30/2014
    Got the call!: 10/01/2014
    Pft2: 10/23/2014
    EOD: 11/03/2014
    FLETC: 11/24/2014

Comment

• Originally posted by PHSeaBee View Post
      your time line looks almost identical to mine... I received a call about3 weeks ago about a medical hearing retest; then they called back and said i was good.. there has been nothing since. Today I called e-QIP and inquired about my BI packet. They said I need my medical cleared first? The medical contact hasnt returned my calls this could take a while Im finding out Medical and PFT1 were done back in March?
      I did my medical back in March, it's been over 4 months and still not checked off yet. You can't get your eqip until medical is checked.
      Geo- Florida
      CBPO Exam- 9/25/13
      NOR- 98 10/25/13
      Qual- GS 7
      TSL- 2/28/14
      PFT1/Medical- 3/12/14
      VBT/SI- 5/9/14
      VBT/SI- eligible 5/14/14
      BI E-QIP received- 10/03/14
      BI E-QIP submitted- 10/06/14
      BI E-QIP in Security Office- 01/06/15

Comment

• yep.. that's what they told me today. And the Medical people don't answer the phone ya have to leave contact info and message??

Originally posted by joshk24 View Post
        I did my medical back in March, it's been over 4 months and still not checked off yet. You can't get your eqip until medical is checked.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fdriver View Post
          Thanks, that's kind of what I expected. Are these places like a death sentence, or are there opportunities elsewhere maybe 5-10 years down the road or whatever? I'll be 36 this summer, so this is really my last chance. I guess if I make it through the rest of the process, I'll make the best of what it is.
          If you're flexible, willing to embrace a wide range of options and a realist, you can make a move from any port within CBP...given enough time. Especially if you're willing to promote.

Those people with the biggest problems are usually the people expecting to go from port "A" to port "V". Often, there's little practical hope if your reassignment expectation is one or a handful of select ports.

Comment

• Moten, check your PM one last time! After that, I'm submitting my equip!

THANKS!
            CBP Officer

08/31/14-Tested
            02/28/14-TSL Received
            03/18/14-PFT1/MED
            07/01/14-VBT/SI
            07/19/14-EQUIP Submitted
            07/22/14-Credit Report Pulled

Comment

• Originally posted by joshk24 View Post
              When did you do your medical?
              1/8/2014. Ridiculous time frame.

Comment

If you are already 36 then yes, definitely take the job regardless if where it is. There are always opportunities once you put your time in. Just going to be a little harder from up here. OFO has the SWAP program which is great but it's going to be hard to find someone who wants to switch with you to come up here. But it being a death sentence all really depends I guess what you want in life or what you were doing before and what not. Just come with a positive attitude and make the best if it. And work like hell to get to where you want to be. Sometimes guys get lucky with the swaps. Also OFO puts out reassignment opportunities on occasion. Either way good luck to you man. Oh and I'm not sure how far along you are but you can put in for the new announcement if you have a passing score and want to change your geographical preference.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                  I wouldn't read much into what port is "available" beyond face value and the present.

A port is available at the time of the offering or it isn't...what an hour or a day or a week or a month into the future brings is likely a largely new list of offerings.

However, you'll likely want either Highgate, Champlain or A-Bay if your social life is a priority. Burlington, VT is decent-sized by NNE standards. Watertown and especially Plattsburgh are a bit smaller, but bigger than the alternatives.
                  This is absolutely true. Hiring demands change from month to month. However, with that being said, from what I have heard Buffalo picked up like 80 Border Patrol Agents on lateral. Most of them were from Ajo Arizona. So in betting Buffalo is gonna be a PITA to get. Sorry I feel like I am only giving bad news on this forum but being in the agency already and having been to Glynco recently, I have heard a lot of things that not many have.

Comment

• Well, Plattsburg and Alex Bay doesn't look bad. Alex Bay looks to be upscaled with castles everywhere, lol.
                    Last edited by cur679; 07-16-2014, 07:59 PM.
                    CBP Officer

08/31/14-Tested
                    02/28/14-TSL Received
                    03/18/14-PFT1/MED
                    07/01/14-VBT/SI
                    07/19/14-EQUIP Submitted

Comment

• Originally posted by NYJRM10 View Post
                      1/8/2014. Ridiculous time frame.
                      Damn, I hope I don't have to wait 2 more months.
                      Geo- Florida
                      CBPO Exam- 9/25/13
                      NOR- 98 10/25/13
                      Qual- GS 7
                      TSL- 2/28/14
                      PFT1/Medical- 3/12/14
                      VBT/SI- 5/9/14
                      VBT/SI- eligible 5/14/14
                      BI E-QIP received- 10/03/14
                      BI E-QIP submitted- 10/06/14
                      BI E-QIP in Security Office- 01/06/15

Comment

• So just to be clear, I can definately save my equip packet onto my computer, correct? I can't print it since I don't have a printer and can't afford to go anywhere to print it. My relative isn't computer-savy, and she may get confused as to why she can't log into equip.

I want to save the sf86 onto a thumb drive, which would be easier for the both of us.

Thanks
                        Last edited by cur679; 07-16-2014, 08:11 PM.
                        CBP Officer

08/31/14-Tested
                        02/28/14-TSL Received
                        03/18/14-PFT1/MED
                        07/01/14-VBT/SI
                        07/19/14-EQUIP Submitted

Comment

• email it to yourself...

Originally posted by cur679 View Post
                          So just to be clear, I can definately save my equip packet onto my computer, correct? I can't print it since I don't have a printer and can't afford to go anywhere to print it. My relative isn't computer-savy, and she may get confused as to why she can't log into equip.

I want to save the sf86 onto a thumb drive, which would be easier for the both of us.

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Ocsk8er03 View Post
                            If you are already 36 then yes, definitely take the job regardless if where it is. There are always opportunities once you put your time in. Just going to be a little harder from up here. OFO has the SWAP program which is great but it's going to be hard to find someone who wants to switch with you to come up here. But it being a death sentence all really depends I guess what you want in life or what you were doing before and what not. Just come with a positive attitude and make the best if it. And work like hell to get to where you want to be. Sometimes guys get lucky with the swaps. Also OFO puts out reassignment opportunities on occasion. Either way good luck to you man. Oh and I'm not sure how far along you are but you can put in for the new announcement if you have a passing score and want to change your geographical preference.
                            Thanks. All I can hope for now is an offer anywhere, then I'll worry about different locations offered (if there is a choice). If that day comes, I'll probably have more questions for you (at this time I'd probably lean towards Calais or Houlton, would be nice to hear from people with knowledge of their management, working conditions, etc.). As of now I'm dealing with the NOPA process which is a little discouraging, but I'm still hopeful.
                            Geo: Northeast
                            Written Test: 8/28/2013 (97 no vet points)
                            NOR: 9/9/2013
                            TSL: 11/27/2013
                            Medical/PT: 12/19/2014
                            VBT/SI: 01/02/2014
                            Medical cleared: 04/08/4014
                            Equip/fingerprints received: 04/11/2014
                            Poly: 05/27/2014
                            Received NOPA: 06/30/2014
                            Replied to NOPA: 07/22/2014
                            1st meeting with BI: 08/06/2014
                            2nd meeting with BI: 08/08/2014
                            Drug Test: 09/25/2014
                            All green checks: 09/30/2014
                            Got the call!: 10/01/2014
                            Pft2: 10/23/2014
                            EOD: 11/03/2014
                            FLETC: 11/24/2014

Comment

• Fdriver, stay positive. Your time will come!
                              CBP Officer

08/31/14-Tested
                              02/28/14-TSL Received
                              03/18/14-PFT1/MED
                              07/01/14-VBT/SI
                              07/19/14-EQUIP Submitted

Comment

Thanks. All I can hope for now is an offer anywhere, then I'll worry about different locations offered (if there is a choice). If that day comes, I'll probably have more questions for you (at this time I'd probably lean towards Calais or Houlton, would be nice to hear from people with knowledge of their management, working conditions, etc.). As of now I'm dealing with the NOPA process which is a little discouraging, but I'm still hopeful.
                                Feel free to ask anything whenever. I'm not gonna say specific ports or stations on anything but i can tell you that things are bad in this area for BP and OFO. My station is pretty good. I hate the area but the station is very chill and everyone including supervisors are very easy to work and get along with. And you would think being small sports and stations most areas would be like that. But no. Again I'm not gonna mention specifics here but stations and ports in this area have gotten pretty bad. Mostly BP stations that I know of but I've heard bad things about the ports as well. When the time comes your welcome to contact me personally. Some things are just better left off of the net if you know what I mean.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9752 users online. 466 members and 9286 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X