300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fdriver View Post
    Since it's looking like the northern border, are there any POEs you recommend over others? I'm in the Boston area, and Maine would probably be the most logical for me (if I do get through the rest of this process). I've heard Calais, Houlton, Van Buren, Jackman, and Coburn Gore have been offered recently. Any of those places to AVOID? I understand they are all cold and remote.

How is life in Van Buren, and what can you tell me from the OFO side of things there (if you are familiar)?
    Well life in Van Buren is pretty much NoN Existent, honestly speaking. It's a small town. The closest town to live would be either Caribou or Presque Isle and quite frankly there isn't much there either. Hey we got a Walmart kind of town lol. As far as OFO here there isn't much going on either. I'm not to sure about Jackman or Calais. I'm pretty sure Jackman is in the middle if nowhere as well. Calais is on the coast so I'd say that would probably be your best choice as far as Maine goes. I'm not sure where Coburn Gore is? Winters here suck but if your from Boston you know how that is. Although im sure it's a bit worse here. It's expensive as hell here as well, as far heating your house and what not goes anyway. Taxes are really high here also. I'm sure being from Boston you're familiar with most of the downsides here. I hate to be a Debbie downer here but I can't think of many upsides. I guess it just depends on what you want in life. But Calais would be my choice for what you have listed. At least there you are close to Bar Harbor and it's pretty down there. Your also a little closer to civilization. Bangor is the closest big town from Van Buren or really from anywhere northern Maine wise anyway and the population there is only in the 30-40 thousands I believe. Bangor is 3 hours from the Caribou area. Let me know if you want anymore specifics. Again sorry I am just not a big fan of this place but that doesn't mean you won't be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ocsk8er03 View Post
      Well life in Van Buren is pretty much NoN Existent, honestly speaking. It's a small town. The closest town to live would be either Caribou or Presque Isle and quite frankly there isn't much there either. Hey we got a Walmart kind of town lol. As far as OFO here there isn't much going on either. I'm not to sure about Jackman or Calais. I'm pretty sure Jackman is in the middle if nowhere as well. Calais is on the coast so I'd say that would probably be your best choice as far as Maine goes. I'm not sure where Coburn Gore is? Winters here suck but if your from Boston you know how that is. Although im sure it's a bit worse here. It's expensive as hell here as well, as far heating your house and what not goes anyway. Taxes are really high here also. I'm sure being from Boston you're familiar with most of the downsides here. I hate to be a Debbie downer here but I can't think of many upsides. I guess it just depends on what you want in life. But Calais would be my choice for what you have listed. At least there you are close to Bar Harbor and it's pretty down there. Your also a little closer to civilization. Bangor is the closest big town from Van Buren or really from anywhere northern Maine wise anyway and the population there is only in the 30-40 thousands I believe. Bangor is 3 hours from the Caribou area. Let me know if you want anymore specifics. Again sorry I am just not a big fan of this place but that doesn't mean you won't be.
      Hmmm. I dunno, man. Guess you gotta suck it up. Now I wish I chose Texas, like Houston. Initially I didn't want the SWB, and though the NE would be a better place to live.

I don't know if there'll be another class at the end of this year, and if there is and I make it after my BI and poly, I'm hoping I'll get lucky with a POE Moten hasn't listed.

EDIT-Bangor, ME looks very nice judging from the images I've seen.
      CBP Officer

08/31/14-Tested
      02/28/14-TSL Received
      03/18/14-PFT1/MED
      07/01/14-VBT/SI
      07/19/14-EQUIP Submitted
      07/22/14-Credit Report Pulled

Comment

• Originally posted by cur679 View Post
        Hmmm. I dunno, man. Guess you gotta suck it up. Now I wish I chose Texas, like Houston. Initially I didn't want the SWB, and though the NE would be a better place to live.

I don't know if there'll be another class at the end of this year, and if there is and I make it after my BI and poly, I'm hoping I'll get lucky with a POE Moten hasn't listed.

Yes, Bangor is not to bad. It's just a drive to get there. But they have pretty much everything you need. Still not a whole lot to do there though. If you're into hunting and fishing then this could be a decent place for you I guess.

But as far as classes go, assuming your referring to academy classes, then yes I would imagine there will be quite a few more classes available before the end of the year. I was just in Glynco a few weeks ago for training and they are running quite a few classes at a time.

Comment

Oh yea if you like winter sports this can be a decent place as well. Having a snowmobile is fun. Also ATVs in the summer time. There area massive amount of ATV and snowmobile trails here.

Also for the guys that are interested or for the guys that might get stuck with this area, are you guys married? I don't mean to scare you guys but a lot of guys leave here divorced. If you have the type of wife that's a little high maintenance you might be in for some trouble. If, like mine, your wife is pretty content with whatever and supports your career decisions then you will probably be ok. But again divorce rate is pretty bad.

Comment

• Champlain is 20 minutes north of Plattsburgh, which is a nice city with two colleges and life haha. Alex Bay is a tourist town that is busy in the summer and quiet in the winter.

Comment

• Moten, check your PM. Thanks.

And Plattsburg a college town!? Sign me up!
              CBP Officer

08/31/14-Tested
              02/28/14-TSL Received
              03/18/14-PFT1/MED
              07/01/14-VBT/SI
              07/19/14-EQUIP Submitted
              07/22/14-Credit Report Pulled

Comment

• Originally posted by FutureCBPO View Post
                Likewise! Looking forward to meeting you aswell!

Jade it took me 19 days to get the call, and Moten just got a call, I have a feeling this week or next week is your week!
                Chin Up! Keep training! Co-Worker failed the mile and a half run last week. Don't be that applicant that fails the LAST step!
                Good luck Jade! I'll see you soon!

Congratulations! See you in FLETC!

Get prepped mentally, I hear (I have my sources) FLETC for CBP is similar to BP now, more militaristic bootcampy. Either way, congrats to you all! Enjoy! Especially while some of us might still be stuck raking leaves then shoveling snow, waiting for updates.Hahah
                Geo - Northeast
                CBPO Exam: 10/23/13
                NOR: 10/31/13
                TSL: 2/28/14
                PFT1/Medical: 3/21/14
                Quals - GS7: 4/27/14
                VBT/SI: 6/6/14
                BI: Submitted 6/19/14

Comment

• Haven't checked CASS in a while. Just noticed after 188 days my medical is cleared finally. Hopefully BI instructions follow soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by StellarDrift View Post
                    Get prepped mentally, I hear (I have my sources) FLETC for CBP is similar to BP now, more militaristic bootcampy. Either way, congrats to you all! Enjoy! Especially while some of us might still be stuck raking leaves then shoveling snow, waiting for updates.Hahah
                    The OFO academy is being run by a BP guy now. So yes it is different than it was. Mostly that they are marching now and a lil more PT as well as some defensive tactics. But it's still far from the BP academy and it is in Glynco which is 100 times nicer than Artesia.

Comment

• Does anyone know if you can switch your location site for PFT1/Medical and the VBT/SI when given a date and location and the TSL?

I'd like to switch only one city; Tuscon to Phoenix.
                      Geo: West Coast
                      CBPO Exam: June 2014
                      NOR: July 2014
                      TSL: August 2014
                      eQIP Sent: August 2014
                      Med & PFT1: August 2014 (pending & passed)
                      VBT & SI: September 2014 (passed)
                      Poly:, BI Cleared:, Drug Test:, PFT2:, & EOD: (pending)

Comment

• Originally posted by NYJRM10 View Post
                        Haven't checked CASS in a while. Just noticed after 188 days my medical is cleared finally. Hopefully BI instructions follow soon.
                        Congrats! Hopefully I'm not too far behind you.
                        Geo - Central East Coast
                        CBPO Exam - 10/18/2013
                        NOR - 10/24/2013
                        TSL - 1/30/2014
                        VBT #1 - 3/12/14 (out of country)
                        PFT1/medical - 3/20/2014
                        VBT/SI #2 - 5/15/2014 (eligible 5/22/2014)
                        eQuip/fingerprints - 9/29/2014

Comment

• Originally posted by Ocsk8er03 View Post
                          If you have the type of wife that's a little high maintenance you might be in for some trouble.
                          Reminds me of Jack Nicholson's wife in the movie "The Border." lol

Comment

Good lord. I was hoping for Buffalo, too. I've never lived in the NE part of the country, so as a 32 year old male who wants to mingle with his age group and younger, what are the best options? Are there any nearby cities that are bigger? I'd be willing to drive 30-45 minutes to a duty location if it means I can actually have a life, lol.
                            I wouldn't read much into what port is "available" beyond face value and the present.

A port is available at the time of the offering or it isn't...what an hour or a day or a week or a month into the future brings is likely a largely new list of offerings.

However, you'll likely want either Highgate, Champlain or A-Bay if your social life is a priority. Burlington, VT is decent-sized by NNE standards. Watertown and especially Plattsburgh are a bit smaller, but bigger than the alternatives.
                            Last edited by merlin436; 07-16-2014, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYJRM10 View Post
                              Haven't checked CASS in a while. Just noticed after 188 days my medical is cleared finally. Hopefully BI instructions follow soon.
                              When did you do your medical?
                              Geo- Florida
                              CBPO Exam- 9/25/13
                              NOR- 98 10/25/13
                              Qual- GS 7
                              TSL- 2/28/14
                              PFT1/Medical- 3/12/14
                              VBT/SI- 5/9/14
                              VBT/SI- eligible 5/14/14
                              BI E-QIP received- 10/03/14
                              BI E-QIP submitted- 10/06/14
                              BI E-QIP in Security Office- 01/06/15

Comment

• your time line looks almost identical to mine... I received a call about3 weeks ago about a medical hearing retest; then they called back and said i was good.. there has been nothing since. Today I called e-QIP and inquired about my BI packet. They said I need my medical cleared first? The medical contact hasnt returned my calls this could take a while Im finding out Medical and PFT1 were done back in March?

Originally posted by joshk24 View Post
                                When did you do your medical?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10534 users online. 370 members and 10164 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X