300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jade78 View Post
    Hey guys, any good tips for pushups and sprint running?
    Push up (my recommendation): watch your form (keep back flat, hands shoulder width or a little out), breathe (inhale going up,exhale going down or whatever works for you), and find a set of reps you can do and increase 1 or 2 reps a day.

Sprint : try "Indian run" (without a group of people). You jog for 10 sec and sprint for 5 sec (and keep that cycle for a minute or two.

Hope that helps! Good luck and stay safe!!!
    Geo Central East Coast
    10/26/13 Took the test
    11/06/13 Passed Written test
    03/31/14 Received TSL
    04/09/14 Did medical and fitness test
    06/05/14 Did the VBT& SI interview
    06/13/14 Received BI paperwork
    07/10/14 Polygraph Test (inclonclusive) part 2 08/22/2014

Comment

I have been running for long time and the best method I have found to improve lung capacity, speed and endurance it to do like somebody else said...Indian Run.

The best way to do that on your own is go to your local track. You are going to Power Walk the round part of the track...and RUN your butt off as fast as you can on the straight-a-ways. Do this for as long as possible.... I would recommend you do it for around 10 laps at first.

To get more realistic with what the academy will be like you need to quickly stop every 2nd lap and push out as many push-ups, sit-ups or flutter kicks (to the point of exhaustion every time). This is not gonna be easy, but I think its better to sweat and cry on your own, then to do it when your in the Academy!

Do this 3 times a week at the least...and every week increase your laps by 2...preferable increase a lap every time you go out to the track.
      Geo: West Coast
      Applied: 7-1-13
      Tested: 8-3-13
      NOR: 9-9-13 (96%)
      Tentative Select: 12-16-13
      Medical: 12-30-13
      Submitted SF86: 2-28-14
      VBT & SI: 3-17-14
      Polygraph x2: 4-7-14 (inconclusive)/ 4-30-14 (passed)
      Sit down with BI: 5-22-14
      Background finished: 6-10-14
      Background Checkmark: 8-14-14
      Drug Test: 8-13-14
      The Call: 08-20-14
      PFT2: 09-05-14 San Diego
      EOD: 9-22-2014
      Academy: 10-23-2014 to 03-09-2015

Comment

• Originally posted by Top Gun View Post
        Would anyone be able to shed some light on how an applicants credit history affects the hiring process? I have 1 debt in collections at the moment for $ 1,000.00 and 2 other debts that were charged off for $ 500.00 and $ 300.00 respectfully. No bankruptcies or tax liens and a few accounts in excellent standing.

Any info. that you can provide me with would be greatly appreciated.
        I don't know if my PM's are working correctly. Let me know if you are receiving. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by NMPD128 View Post
          Push up (my recommendation): watch your form (keep back flat, hands shoulder width or a little out), breathe (inhale going up,exhale going down or whatever works for you), and find a set of reps you can do and increase 1 or 2 reps a day.
          Sprint : try "Indian run" (without a group of people). You jog for 10 sec and sprint for 5 sec (and keep that cycle for a minute or two.
          Hope that helps! Good luck and stay safe!!!
          I have not heard of the "Indian Run" before but I think I can manage that run, in fact I will go try it this evening after the weather cools off a little. As for pushups, I feel like when I put my hands my shoulder's width, I don't go down enough as I feel that I am touching the ground. At the same time, I don't want to get my hands wider to get the 90 degree elbow push.

Originally posted by USCG LEME View Post
          I have been running for long time and the best method I have found to improve lung capacity, speed and endurance it to do like somebody else said...Indian Run.

The best way to do that on your own is go to your local track. You are going to Power Walk the round part of the track...and RUN your butt off as fast as you can on the straight-a-ways. Do this for as long as possible.... I would recommend you do it for around 10 laps at first.
          To get more realistic with what the academy will be like you need to quickly stop every 2nd lap and push out as many push-ups, sit-ups or flutter kicks (to the point of exhaustion every time). This is not gonna be easy, but I think its better to sweat and cry on your own, then to do it when your in the Academy!
          Do this 3 times a week at the least...and every week increase your laps by 2...preferable increase a lap every time you go out to the track.
          Do you think running the 220 yards in 50 sec is doable?

Comment

• 2nd polygraph failed

Comment

• I think if you keep doing that track workout you definitely can run 220 in the allotted time
              Geo: West Coast
              Applied: 7-1-13
              Tested: 8-3-13
              NOR: 9-9-13 (96%)
              Tentative Select: 12-16-13
              Medical: 12-30-13
              Submitted SF86: 2-28-14
              VBT & SI: 3-17-14
              Polygraph x2: 4-7-14 (inconclusive)/ 4-30-14 (passed)
              Sit down with BI: 5-22-14
              Background finished: 6-10-14
              Background Checkmark: 8-14-14
              Drug Test: 8-13-14
              The Call: 08-20-14
              PFT2: 09-05-14 San Diego
              EOD: 9-22-2014
              Academy: 10-23-2014 to 03-09-2015

Comment

• Originally posted by wantmore12 View Post
                2nd polygraph failed
                Oh no, tell us what happened?

Originally posted by USCG LEME View Post
                I think if you keep doing that track workout you definitely can run 220 in the allotted time
                Thank you. Tell me, both you and I are waiting on the adjudication decision, correct? How did you know yours will take till early August?

Comment

If push ups are tough, try doing chest press exercises intermittently with the push ups (keep it at a comfortable weight where you can get the reps up there). Focus on your form.

It is important to work on core strength ie. planks!

If you can manage, try jogging in place (knees high) for maybe 30 seconds then immediately dropping and doing a set of push ups. Repeat as many reps as you can. That will build up your cardio and resilience and should help you in both areas.

And yes, challenge yourself but don't over do it. You don't want to hurt yourself at this point!
                  Geo: Northeast
                  Written Test: 8/28/2013 (97 no vet points)
                  NOR: 9/9/2013
                  TSL: 11/27/2013
                  Medical/PT: 12/19/2014
                  VBT/SI: 01/02/2014
                  Medical cleared: 04/08/4014
                  Equip/fingerprints received: 04/11/2014
                  Poly: 05/27/2014
                  Received NOPA: 06/30/2014
                  Replied to NOPA: 07/22/2014
                  1st meeting with BI: 08/06/2014
                  2nd meeting with BI: 08/08/2014
                  Drug Test: 09/25/2014
                  All green checks: 09/30/2014
                  Got the call!: 10/01/2014
                  Pft2: 10/23/2014
                  EOD: 11/03/2014
                  FLETC: 11/24/2014

Comment

Do you think running the 220 yards in 50 sec is doable?
                    If I can do it in 26 seconds, yes. I've already gauged the yardage and ran it.

Originally posted by Jade78 View Post
                    ALWAYS Exhale while exerting force. So always exhale while pushing yourself up during a push-up. I'm not sure what NMPD was talking about on that section.

Do female push-up burn outs.
                    meaning, do as many push-ups from your knees until you're upper body can't lift itself off the ground. It will be great for strengthening the muscles needed for a standard push-ups.
                    Keep doing that until you get up to 10-15 standard push-ups,
                    then go straight from standard push-ups to knee push-up burnouts.
                    In a few weeks time you will be able to do standard push-up burnouts, and go right into knee push-up burnouts. I used to be a private fitness trainer/motivator when I lived in Michigan. This WILL work.

Also - keep in mind, when doing burnouts, start off focusing on correct stance and form, but as you continue going (30th, 40th push-up) you won't focus so much on form, as you will lifting yourself off the ground.

Need anything else, PM.

ALSO - Ran 4 miles today, got my PFT2 Scheduled. July 10th.
                    One week from now.
                    Last edited by FutureCBPO; 07-03-2014, 08:20 PM.
                    Geo - East Texas
                    Exam date - 9/7/2013
                    NOR - 9/13/2013 score = 97 no vet pnts.
                    TSL - 11/27/2014
                    PFT1 - 12/27/2014
                    VBT/SI - 1/7/2014
                    EQIP - 1/18/2014
                    Credit check - 2/4/2014
                    GS-7 Qualification cass update - 2/24/2014
                    Poly exam - 4/8/2014 - PASS
                    Interview with investigator - 5/7/2014
                    Background submitted from investigator - 6/4/2014
                    Drug Test - 6/26/2014
                    PFT2 - 7/10/2014
                    EOD - JULY 28th, 2014
                    FLETC - 8/18/2014 - 12/30/2014
                    CBP Session #359 Guidon
                    Awarded Physical Training Award

Comment

• Originally posted by Fdriver View Post
                      If push ups are tough, try doing chest press exercises intermittently with the push ups (keep it at a comfortable weight where you can get the reps up there). Focus on your form.
                      Thank you, I got a lot of good advice today and I am going to work on them right away. What is your timeline please?

Originally posted by FutureCBPO View Post
                      If I can do it in 26 seconds, yes. I've already gauged the yardage and ran it.
                      ALWAYS Exhale while exerting force. So always exhale while pushing yourself up during a push-up. I'm not sure what NMPD was talking about on that section.
                      Do female push-up burn outs. meaning, do as many push-ups from your knees until you're upper body can't lift itself off the ground. It will be great for strengthening the muscles needed for a standard push-ups. Keep doing that until you get up to 10-15 standard push-ups,
                      then go straight from standard push-ups to knee push-up burnouts. In a few weeks time you will be able to do standard push-up burnouts, and go right into knee push-up burnouts. I used to be a private fitness trainer/motivator when I lived in Michigan. This WILL work.
                      I haven't thought of my breathing when doing pushups, but it make perfect sense. I guess you always exhale when you sit up when you do situps?

Man, you are close, good luck on the test, that's next Friday.

Comment

• I hope there's some weightlifting PT at FLETC. I can't go a few days without lifting some iron.
                        Geo: SWB
                        CBPO Exam: 09/24/13
                        NOR: 92% - 10/28/13
                        TSL - 01/31/14
                        Medical/PFT1 - 02/19/14
                        VBT/SI - 02/28/14
                        BI - 03/15/14
                        Poly - 04/30/14
                        BI Cleared - 06/24/14
                        Drug Test - 06/26/14
                        The Call - 06/26/14
                        PFT 2 - 07/11/14
                        EOD - 07/14/14
                        Academy - 08/14/14 - 12/23/14

Comment

• Originally posted by Kattle View Post
                          I hope there's some weightlifting PT at FLETC. I can't go a few days without lifting some iron.
                          I agree I love pumping iron more than running.

Comment

• I wasn't nervous at all. the polygraph examer told me i might get a third polygraph.

Comment

• From what I've been told, FLETC has a state of the art gym, just be careful and don't injure yourself while there, and possibly end your career early.
                              But I agree, I can't wait to go throw some weights around either.
                              Originally posted by Jade78 View Post

Man, you are close, good luck on the test, that's next Friday.
                              Thursday. lol
                              Geo - East Texas
                              Exam date - 9/7/2013
                              NOR - 9/13/2013 score = 97 no vet pnts.
                              TSL - 11/27/2014
                              PFT1 - 12/27/2014
                              VBT/SI - 1/7/2014
                              EQIP - 1/18/2014
                              Credit check - 2/4/2014
                              GS-7 Qualification cass update - 2/24/2014
                              Poly exam - 4/8/2014 - PASS
                              Interview with investigator - 5/7/2014
                              Background submitted from investigator - 6/4/2014
                              Drug Test - 6/26/2014
                              PFT2 - 7/10/2014
                              EOD - JULY 28th, 2014
                              FLETC - 8/18/2014 - 12/30/2014
                              CBP Session #359 Guidon
                              Awarded Physical Training Award

Comment

• I just did 3 mile interval training or Indian run. It hurts but feels good when I was done.
                                Future, I tried the 220 yard sprint and it was done in 27 seconds. I am so proud of myself. I also did push-ups and planks, well, one plank.
                                Thanks to all who helped push myself and restart training again.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6686 users online. 339 members and 6347 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X