Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLETC is great and the crack houses are good... i here now and i have no problem with it! Keep it up guys! Can't wait to hear from all you with the TO's... Im in week 4

Comment

• Originally posted by nordy racer View Post
      question.. do you know if (once you get back from FLETC) will you be able to work a part time job? i'm not asking about a job in which you carry your weapon, but a normal side job for some extra cash???
      You can work a side job, with approval. I was talking with my supervisor about this issue, since the company I was looking at worked with the federal government. His explanation was all requests go through the Chief Council for a conflict of interest determination. The general feeling I received was any job or industry that has anything to do with CBP work is considered a conflict of interest. I didn't get to the point of needing the approval (the company's workload shifted), so I can't say what happened.
      Last edited by kc12; 10-01-2008, 10:14 AM.
      But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by NY2NVA
        Am I the only one who can't log into the cass hotline? I am still able to see my cass online, does this mean I'm getting a nopa?
        Cant say for sure, could just be a glitch. But i will say that if youre getting a NOPA you probably wont be out of CASS until it is settled. If you straight up disappear from CASS that probably means they withdrew your offer without a NOPA (it happens). But give it a few days im sure you'll show back up

Comment

• I know there may not be an exact answer to this question, I'll ask anyway.

For larger ports like LAX, San Diego, Miami, etc. How much mandatory overtime can we expect? Or is it something that can't be calculated without knowing staffing situations at the specific port?

Comment

• Originally posted by HellaHandsome View Post
            I know there may not be an exact answer to this question, I'll ask anyway.

For larger ports like LAX, San Diego, Miami, etc. How much mandatory overtime can we expect? Or is it something that can't be calculated without knowing staffing situations at the specific port?
            Really hard to say unless you get an officer with "new guy" experience at the port you are applying for. But i would venture to say that you'll get all the o.t. you can handle after your post academy training.

Comment

• Originally posted by Orleanian84 View Post
              i heard cbp has some good overtime available where you can make some really good extra cash
              Maybe.

Yes, there are plenty of ports where one can make large amounts of OT. There are also plenty of ports where making large sums in OT is unlikely to almost impossible. OT is something that is very port and even location specific. In some ports 35K+ with waivers is possible, in others you'll stretch to make 2.5K.

I'd actually be willing to lay a bet that in the majority of CBP's 327 ports, the average officer is looking at less than 10K in OT per year.

Comment

question.. do you know if (once you get back from FLETC) will you be able to work a part time job? i'm not asking about a job in which you carry your weapon, but a normal side job for some extra cash???
                Maybe.

What KC said.

For the most part, CBP frowns on officers having second(or more) jobs.

Being that you're looking at Long Beach you'll first probably be offered OT at something close to the 35K cap. If that's not enough, and you can swing a job uninteresting to CBP that doesn't effect your ability to work CBP OT or regular shifts, you might get approved for a second job.

Comment

• Originally posted by HellaHandsome View Post
                  I know there may not be an exact answer to this question, I'll ask anyway.

You looking to work OT or avoid it?

As you said, it's very port specific. In general, larger ports have more OT, use more OT and are more likely to force people out on OT.

Comment

• Recent FLETC CBPO ATTENDEE/GRADUATE QUESTION...

Do you have one main classroom you study out of?

(Is all classroom time for Immigration/Trade/Passenger done in the same room)

Also, do you have computer training there also (a computer on your desk area)?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by bronze01 View Post
                      Do you have one main classroom you study out of?

(Is all classroom time for Immigration/Trade/Passenger done in the same room)

Also, do you have computer training there also (a computer on your desk area)?

Thanks in advance.
                      Yeah you have a main classroom for lecture stuff. No computers in there, they have a computer lab building for that kind of training.

Comment

• Lasik wait

Originally posted by DaBonk112 View Post
                        Does anyone know for sure if exceptions are made for the 3month waiting period for LASIK? Scheduling called today and they scheduled an appointment for me this friday Oct 3 but my 3months are up Oct 25th.
                        I spoke with a guy in the Medical Unit about the same thing. He said that there was no way around the 90 day wait eventhough my vision and health were great. I had to request an extension and wait out my 90 days. The Medical Unit was really good about it. Sounded like this is a common issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inman59 View Post
                          FLETC is great and the crack houses are good... i here now and i have no problem with it! Keep it up guys! Can't wait to hear from all you with the TO's... Im in week 4
                          since you are there do you know if they are putting people with roommates from now on?

Comment

• Took my fit test today and got it out of the way. All I need is to get a letter in the mail about scheduling the VBT and then I'm good to go, but until then, I get put back in the waiting room.
                            "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

i dont know anything about Long Beach, but for San Diego they said that it shouldn't be a problem as long as you get approval. They stressed that you MUST get approval but it really didn't seem like a big deal....they even went on to say that some cbp officers work as real estate brokers or tax accountants. Just inform them if you do get a part time job.

Comment

Last edited by tigers2007; 04-17-2017, 08:06 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6341 users online. 347 members and 5994 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X