300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DOA-DOL-DOJ-DHS
    Cur, what would you call yourself and how you feel about not getting feedback on your applications.

For what's it worth, many years ago after I was already a Special Agent, I received a NOR telling me I did not qualify for a lower position with the same agency. I had forgotten I even applied.
    It's disheartening. I'm going to be 32 in less than two weeks, and I work in retail where I'm treated like crap, but a job is what you make it. I am the second best sales associate in the store.

I only make $9.25 an hour and work 30 hours a week. I give my mother, who's suffering with arthritis, over $500 a month. The rest of my money goes towards paying off student loan, gym membership, groceries, and gas money. I'm tired of not having money, and I really need to start investing in my retirement or it's too late.

The only other job I was referred was for the FBI intel analyst position back in 2012, but when I filled out these questions after a video to watch, I chose a wrong answer thanks to unexpectingly timing of someone knocking on my door, and my dog barking like a maniac. I was disqualified from taking the phase I test. But props to the FBI for referring a diverse number of applicants, from applicants who just graduated from college with no experience to those with experience.

Other than that, there's nothing on USAjobs that I either qualify for or there just aren't any jobs PERIOD.

I don't know what I'm going to do if I don't get the CBP job.
    CBP Officer

08/31/14-Tested
    02/28/14-TSL Received
    03/18/14-PFT1/MED
    07/01/14-VBT/SI
    07/19/14-EQUIP Submitted
    07/22/14-Credit Report Pulled

Comment

Future CBPO, why so hostile? Can't take a joke? I have settled many things in the parking lot, unfortunately today people take offense to that. It's the new world.
      Man you are really reading what I'm saying the wrong way, I wasn't meaning to be hostile at all. I only said in person; as I'm guessing you're in the Houston area, like me, as you asked it a while back.
      I never said anything hostile towards you, or mentioned a parking-lot. I'm the first person to hash out differences over a cold beer. lol
      Last edited by FutureCBPO; 06-09-2014, 09:50 PM.
      Geo - East Texas
      Exam date - 9/7/2013
      NOR - 9/13/2013 score = 97 no vet pnts.
      TSL - 11/27/2014
      PFT1 - 12/27/2014
      VBT/SI - 1/7/2014
      EQIP - 1/18/2014
      Credit check - 2/4/2014
      GS-7 Qualification cass update - 2/24/2014
      Poly exam - 4/8/2014 - PASS
      Interview with investigator - 5/7/2014
      Background submitted from investigator - 6/4/2014
      Drug Test - 6/26/2014
      PFT2 - 7/10/2014
      EOD - JULY 28th, 2014
      FLETC - 8/18/2014 - 12/30/2014
      CBP Session #359 Guidon
      Awarded Physical Training Award

Comment

• Yes, I have applied with CIA and NSA police quite a few times, but no referral. I live in Florida, so applying from out of state when you have to fly/drive to said location for the application process is out of the question unfortunately.

I really wouldn't mind doing uniform. I'll look into Fed Reserves.

Thanks
        CBP Officer

08/31/14-Tested
        02/28/14-TSL Received
        03/18/14-PFT1/MED
        07/01/14-VBT/SI
        07/19/14-EQUIP Submitted
        07/22/14-Credit Report Pulled

Comment

I'm just old and senile.
          I really don't know too much about HSI, but do you know anything about the Adjudication process, and roughly how long it takes? Maybe past experiences? I know myself and a few others on here are pretty curious about what they look into, what could disqualify someone, and how long it takes?
          Geo - East Texas
          Exam date - 9/7/2013
          NOR - 9/13/2013 score = 97 no vet pnts.
          TSL - 11/27/2014
          PFT1 - 12/27/2014
          VBT/SI - 1/7/2014
          EQIP - 1/18/2014
          Credit check - 2/4/2014
          GS-7 Qualification cass update - 2/24/2014
          Poly exam - 4/8/2014 - PASS
          Interview with investigator - 5/7/2014
          Background submitted from investigator - 6/4/2014
          Drug Test - 6/26/2014
          PFT2 - 7/10/2014
          EOD - JULY 28th, 2014
          FLETC - 8/18/2014 - 12/30/2014
          CBP Session #359 Guidon
          Awarded Physical Training Award

Comment

• Originally posted by FutureCBPO View Post
            A lot of other things play a part.
            Are the entry exam dates you took, the same?
            I'm not saying the score is EVERYTHING.
            Geo plays a part. Sex of the applicant.
            Points on your PFT1.
            Length of history on background. A lot of things all come together. I know the score determines how quickly you get your TSL though. That's for sure. At least in my region.
            This is how selection has worked in the past. Those who pass the test will be added to a certificate, which for all intents and purposes the cert is a list of names ranked by test score, plus vet preference (there can be many certificates for one testing cycle). After a person clears all the steps they will be added to a cleared to hire list and they will be called in cert order granted their geographic locations have openings.
            Most of the steps are pass fail and will play zero factor in getting the job.

Comment

Jade, I went with federal LE because I got tired of law school. Thought I could correct things with the government from the inside. My mistake.
              I want a good career with good retirement, I have 2 master degrees and I don't want to end up working retail minimum wage, in addition to be multilingual.

I also believe or would like to believe that other applicants who are going to make it and agents are good honest people where you can make friends for life and you can trust. Yes there's a corruption and one person cannot change a lot of things but a whole group can. I might be dreamy but I might be right too.

Comment

• Looks like I missed a lot on here since I last logged on. As a contribution to this board I will add this for some food for thought:

ANY job, whether Federal or not is what you make of it. For some, this position is a means for a stable income, retirement, inter-agency transfer. For others it is their dream job. I know CBPO's who love their job and I know some who hate their jobs. Just about all of my friends are LEO's and their opinions of their respective fields/positions cover a full spectrum.

When I was in college finishing my B.S. one of my professors was a retired U.S. Marshall. When I told him I was applying for this position he basically said "you'll hate it and I hope you speak Spanish". I had another professor who was a DHS intelligence analyst who encouraged the position while another professor who was retired Dallas PD stood up in front of the class and told everyone that "being a police officer will make you miserable and jaded and to think twice about getting into the field". I am not kidding!

The moral here is that I find it in incredibly poor taste for anyone to come onto this thread and discourage applicants. Just because you have issues, whether past or present, with your current position does not mean that others will have the same fate.

I see questions being asked such as "why do you want this job", as if an applicant has to justify their intent. Folks get into LE for many reasons. Many of them for the absolute WRONG reasons. Many of them for the absolute right reasons. However, this is what the application/adjudication process is for.

Comment

• Freaking out about the new CBP entrance exam on the computer on friday

Comment

• Originally posted by NavyMa2 View Post
                    Freaking out about the new CBP entrance exam on the computer on friday
                    Do NOT freak out, fearing true test is the first sign of failure and most fail coz they fear it. Have the courage to go in knowing you will pass. That's have the battle and you will do good.

Comment

• Thanks Bro I took the test last year and honestly it was not hard....I really just got nervous but I think I am ok now studying and taking my time. I just wonder how different is this test on the computer then the test I took with the booklet and scantron ?

Originally posted by Jade78 View Post
                      Do NOT freak out, fearing true test is the first sign of failure and most fail coz they fear it. Have the courage to go in knowing you will pass. That's have the battle and you will do good.

Comment

• Originally posted by NavyMa2 View Post
                        Thanks Bro I took the test last year and honestly it was not hard....
                        You mean to say "Thanks sis"

Comment

• Sorry Thanks Sis

Originally posted by Jade78 View Post
                          You mean to say "Thanks sis"

Comment

• My delphiforums intel indicates that the test is basically same as the old one, except for it is on the computer this time. And you can do it at your own pace, in other words, if you finish the bioinventory in 20 minutes, you don't have to wait for everyone else to finish to move on to the next portion.

And wear something warm, in case they have the AC low and you get cold and can't concentrate. I am taking mine tomorrow.

Comment

• Thanks please let me know how the test goes and GOOOOOOOOD LUCK !!!!!!

Originally posted by ForzaMilan View Post
                              My delphiforums intel indicates that the test is basically same as the old one, except for it is on the computer this time. And you can do it at your own pace, in other words, if you finish the bioinventory in 20 minutes, you don't have to wait for everyone else to finish to move on to the next portion.

And wear something warm, in case they have the AC low and you get cold and can't concentrate. I am taking mine tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by ForzaMilan View Post
                                My delphiforums intel indicates that the test is basically same as the old one, except for it is on the computer this time. And you can do it at your own pace, in other words, if you finish the bioinventory in 20 minutes, you don't have to wait for everyone else to finish to move on to the next portion.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7232 users online. 352 members and 6880 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X